Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Serato Dj crashes on recording, sampler and more

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Pioneer DJ DDJ-SR
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
User 6396993 6:59 PM - 27 April, 2014
Every time I press the record button, the sampler button and any other different from those used to load the music, Serato DJ crashes and closes itself.
I have a macbook pro with the specifications above written, plus 4gb on ram, and a 2.3 ghz intel core i5 processor.
I've got the crash report but don´t know where to send it.

Please help.
7:29 PM, 27 Apr 2014
User 6396993 attached a file: Serato DJ_2014-04-27-131613_Javier-Bermudezs-MacBook-Pro.crash
Download· Permalink
User 6396993 8:06 PM - 29 April, 2014
Seriously? Not even a word? Is this what Serato calls "Support"??

I've already upgraded to 1.6.2 and the problem continues: 2 out of 3 times I press (on the mac screen or using the controller) any of the upper functions (REC - FX - SP6) Serato Dj crashes.

I've already read about the huge problems the software has when working with a big library so i'm using it with just 2 song but it still crashes.

It's just sad to think i could've bought any other controller than the SR. If only i'd read this forum first..

I'm attaching another crash report in case anyone could help me.
8:07 PM, 29 Apr 2014
User 6396993 attached a file: Serato DJ_2014-04-29-123706_Javier-Bermudezs-MacBook-Pro.crash
Download· Permalink
Serato, Support
Matt P 6:16 PM - 1 May, 2014
Hi User 6396993,

I'm here to help. We often can't get back to help requests right away, but we try to get to them as soon as we can.

The problem you are having is uncommon and having a look at your crash report, i'm wondering what optimization you have already done?

have you removed all corrupt files from your library?

You mentioned you just updated to 1.6.2, have you compared with another version, say 1.5.2? Let me know how that works. here is a link to the archive -> serato.com

If its across multiple versions, its likely that it will be related to your computer.
How much space do you have remaining in your harddrive?

Do you have any antivirus software installed?

Regards

Matt P
User 6396993 5:18 PM - 3 May, 2014
Hi, Matt,

Sorry if I got a bit fussy about my problem, but it really wasn't my idea to approach to Serato with these kind of problems.

Anyway, the good news is that I haven't had any crashes since a couple of days ago. It seems it becomes a problem when I change between tabs using the controller, not when I do it directly on the computer (quite strange).

I deleted the corrupt files, and i'm not using itunes library anymore.

My mac has about 90gb of free space right now. Is it ok? Does Serato need more to operate properly?

I'll be making some tests today and i'll write whatever happens (i'll install the older version if it crashes). It is very important for me to assure the sofware will run perfectly from now on.

Are there any other optimization suggestions you can tell me?

Thanks for your help. Keep in touch.
Serato, Support
Matt P 12:22 AM - 6 May, 2014
Hi User 6396993,

No sweat, no one likes problems with their computer. I understand :)

I'm glad to hear you have been able to isolate the issue to the hardware switching. This really helps. I wonder have you tried a firmware update? -> pioneerdj.com

Quote:
I deleted the corrupt files, and i'm not using itunes library anymore.

Awesome, this could have been all that was needed

Quote:
My mac has about 90gb of free space right now. Is it ok? Does Serato need more to operate properly?

Thats plenty of room. You should be straight.

I think that you should be ok, but let me know how the testing goes. I'll be here to help out if you have any more trouble.

best

Matt P
User 6396993 4:20 AM - 20 May, 2014
Hi,

The problem's still there. It seems it's even worst with 1.5.2, first time trying to see the effects panel on it and it crashed straight away.

I've moved some files from the mac to be sure it's not about hard drive space: it's not.

I'm running on OSx 10.6.8, are there any reports on failures on this system? Would you recommend me to upgrade? Maverick maybe? Or due to my 4gb on ram, it could be worst to run on a heavier OS?

I don't have any antivirus. But still, everything else runs perfectly..

Thanks for your help.
4:23 AM, 20 May 2014
User 6396993 attached a file: Serato DJ_2014-05-19-230130_Javier-Bermudezs-MacBook-Pro.crash
Download· Permalink
Serato, Support
Matt P 12:01 AM - 26 May, 2014
Hi User 6396993,

I don't think its related to OS as i can run SDJ1.6.3 perfectly on my 10.6.8 machine for hours. I also only have 4 gb ram.

What i think we should try and feel its most likely related to is the _Serato_ folder.

If you can try renaming it and copying some information you may be able to eliminate this from the scenario and be fully functional.

Try these steps :

Close Serato Applications
Navigate to the "My Music" folder and locate the _Serato_ folder
Rename _Serato_ folder to _Serato_old (Don't worry about the backup folder)
Open Serato DJ
This will create a new _Serato_ folder in your "My Music" folder and create a blank template with no crates or any other stored information.

Close Serato DJ
Navigate to the _Serato_OLD folder and open the subcrates folder
Copy the information in the subcrates folder and paste it to the new _Serato_ folder in the subcrates folder.
Open Serato DJ and enable itunes library.
You should have all your files and crates. This will restore all preferences back to default, so you'll have to make some adjustments, but let me know if this allows you to play and load easier or if you have any issues with the recording options etc.

To regain information as you left it
Close Serato DJ
Trash new _Serato_ folder
Rename _Serato_Old back to _Serato_
Open Serato DJ
Everything should be back to normal.

Matt P
User 6396993 10:33 PM - 26 May, 2014
Just did it and it still crashes...

I did as you said (everything's as described except from the subcrates folder in the new _Serato_ folder which doesn´t exist - i suposse 'cause there aren't any yet - so i copied it entirely) and after a while, when pressing the button to move between REC and Samplers it crashed.

I really don't know what to do. Everything works perfect until the moment i decide to open one of the three panels above. If I open the FX panel before play a song, it usually doesn't crash, but after some mixing it happens 99% of the time. It doesn't matter if I'm using a lot of the functions of the SR or if it's playing just one song like a regular audio player.

Are you aware of any "permission" or specific process triggered by any of the three panels of the top?? I think there resides the problem.

What now? Would you recommend to reinstall the OS?

As usual, thanks in advance.
Serato, Support
Matt P 7:47 PM - 2 June, 2014
User 6396993,

Ok, well that will remove the software from being the problem. Ultimately this should have reset everything to default. I would suggest updating the OS.

Quote:
Are you aware of any "permission" or specific process triggered by any of the three panels of the top?? I think there resides the problem.

No there is nothing like that with these functions on a mac. The problem would only affect one of the panels not all, if that were to be the case.

Regards

Matt P
dave1983 9:37 AM - 6 July, 2014
i have the same problem is there a fix for this
Serato, Support
Matt P 8:30 PM - 10 July, 2014
Hi Dave1983

Shoot us an email at support@serato.com most of our support is being done through a different channel than the forum now

Thanks

Matt P
DJ Phunk Lexx 1:34 PM - 1 April, 2015
Did you find a solution to this? I am experiencing the same thing on 1.7.3 (OS X 10.10.2).

Thanks.
Oren Z 12:00 PM - 10 April, 2015
I work with the SX2 and i have the same problem latley.
Everything works perfect until the moment i decide to open one of the three panels above. If I open the FX panel before playing a song, it usually doesn't crash, but after some mixing it happens 99% of the time.
I have the latest version of serato and i work with windows 7 x64.
Topkat Amazona 9:48 PM - 13 April, 2015
I have been having the same problem of late and don't know what to do

8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

(13-inch, Mid 2010)

I have 750 gigs on my macbook and of this 300 gigs are free. I didn't have this problem before I updated it is getting really frustrating.

I spend too much money with serato to have and unstable software like this we use this to make a living and can't have crashes or dropouts during sets

My laptop is only used for gigs so can you give me and answer cause this kinda support sucks
DJ Phunk Lexx 9:58 PM - 22 April, 2015
Still having the same problem, Prepare and History working while mixing, Files, Browse or opening FX panel while in the mix crashes with no errors, just closed.

I'm running MBP Retina (latest), OS X 10.10.3, DDJ-SX2, music on internal drive, all files analyzed, no broken files, tried everything above (recreating v2 database, etc). Problem persists even while controller is disconnected. Not manifesting at the very beginning but after few minutes if I click on Files or Browse.

Seems like for a second (before the crash) the whole GUI messes up. I also have no crash logs (in my Library).

I will test it on my iMac and let you know.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 2:30 AM - 28 April, 2015
Hi guys

Can everyone experiencing a 'sudden exit' of Serato DJ with no crash window/logs showing up please upload your session logs to this thread using the 'Attach A File' button just above the comment box.

You can find them in .../Music/_Serato_/Logs.

This will be useful for pointing us in the right direction with our investigation as to what may be happening for you.

Cheers, Aaron
Serato, Support
Aaron E 10:31 PM - 30 April, 2015
Still really keen on your session logs guys. From .../Music/_Serato_/Logs

Having these will really help our investigation.

Cheers
9:44 PM, 2 May 2015
DJ Phunk Lexx attached a file: 20150415-123803.13698
Download· Permalink
9:44 PM, 2 May 2015
DJ Phunk Lexx attached a file: 20150415-124649.13754
Download· Permalink
DJ Phunk Lexx 9:46 PM - 2 May, 2015
Hope 2 is enough, I got like 20 of them...
Serato, Support
Aaron E 9:35 PM - 3 May, 2015
Thanks DJ Phunk Lexx, very helpful.

I'm going to hit you up by email so we can talk through what may be happening directly.

Cheers, Aaron
9:56 AM, 7 May 2015
Oren Z attached a file: 20150507-124248.4160
Download· Permalink
Oren Z 9:56 AM - 7 May, 2015
I removed the software and reinstall
But the problem still recurs
I am attaching the log file
Serato, Support
Aaron E 3:58 AM - 11 May, 2015
Thanks Oren Z

Your spontaneous quit is of the same type as DJ Phunk Lexx and is being investigated. I'll send you an email soon to talk through it.

Cheers, Aaron
2:00 AM, 26 May 2015
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.