Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

sound quality on NS7II

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Numark NS7 II
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
marcA 6:00 AM - 25 April, 2014
i noticed some kind of 'distortion' or metallic sound when using my headphone so i tried some things and it just doesn't sound right when plying some tracks
tried different headphones with the same result
connected the headphone to main out, same result
disconnected the controller and listened through the laptop soundcard with the same headphones and it sounded right
for example: shining star - Nneke,joe goddard remix
this has a bass intro and that's where you hear it clearly
it has a squeezed kind of tone...
this is an iTunes file by the way...
will try to get a mp3 version of this track to compare
mdmusicman 2:03 AM - 26 April, 2014
I'm having the same issue. i just started with 1.6.2
clore46 1:55 PM - 26 April, 2014
Same problem here. Brought mine to my first gig last night and had to go back to my ddjsx for the night
marcA 2:42 PM - 26 April, 2014
clore45, so you are saying that changing controllers solved it?
Numark, Support
NumarkChris 1:11 PM - 28 April, 2014
Hello everyone,

If you're experiencing distortion in your headphones, make sure that you have the latest driver installed. Log onto www.numark.com and under the Downloads section on that page, check that you have the latest driver installed.
marcA 1:17 PM - 28 April, 2014
i have driver 2.9.55 installed
that said, i saw this weekend that the driver for the NS7 was also installed, and i removed that one
but the issue remains...
Numark, Support
NumarkChris 1:25 PM - 28 April, 2014
Hello marcA,

If your computer has 3.0 USB ports, try to use another port besides that one. Let me know if you get the same result.
marcA 1:31 PM - 28 April, 2014
hah!
ok defenately can try that one since i was connected on USB3
since USB3 has more bandwith and power i expected better results on USB3 then on USB2
but you do realize that soon there will be no longer usb2 ports on laptops...?

gonna try this out tonight and post feedback asap
marcA 5:30 PM - 28 April, 2014
i hoped that switching to usb2 would solve the issue but it doesn't...
Numark, Support
NumarkChris 7:15 PM - 28 April, 2014
Hello,

Ok, let's help you out over the phone. I see you live in Europe. I think at this point one of our Numark Tech Support agents should help you out or if you like, you can private message me your contact info and I can have agent email you. You can contact our European team with the information below.

Numark UK LTD (United Kingdom Office)
Support Contact: +44 1252 896040

InMusic GmbH (Germany Office)
Support Contact: +49 2154-81299-20/-25
marcA 7:23 PM - 28 April, 2014
I don't think it's the controller anymore since I don't have the issue with 1.5.2
mdmusicman 3:10 PM - 29 May, 2014
My MacBook pro only have USB 3.0 ports. I will call numark support after work today.
marcA 3:18 PM - 29 May, 2014
it was P&T
after disabling everything is ok
and i also use USB3 ports so that ain't the cause
Mike from Chicago 8:38 PM - 29 May, 2014
Just a question what bit rate are the files your playing? I know this plays a big role in how it sounds. Some files say 320 but really are 64 possible 32. Check them as this is the cheapest solution.
mdmusicman 9:15 PM - 29 May, 2014
I do not have P&T. I use high quality MP3s
Thanks
PancraZ 9:52 PM - 29 May, 2014
mdmudicman, try turning off the keylock. This was a fix for me before.
X Trax 5:41 PM - 9 September, 2014
Just started having a very similar problem. The sound in the headphones or the master out sound metallic a bit like the bitcrusher effect. I think it must be a driver level bug because it also did it in virtualDJ.
I have this problem with my mac mini but my (AMD) PC was not affected last time I gigged.
DJ1855 4:35 PM - 21 September, 2014
I'm having this problem at every gig. A few hours into the gig, I'm getting this high end distorted sound. I have to restart Serato and Turn my NS7II off and back on in order for it to go away. Using Serato DJ and the NS7II had been an embarrassing experience at my events.
X Trax 6:11 PM - 21 September, 2014
Completely Reinstalled OSX set up all the software. So far it works. NUMARK just said its a software problem and didn't really help.

So far its been a rocky road.
Dj Aveboy 84 9:09 PM - 21 September, 2014
I been having the same problem I did a wedding last night and I had to stop the party two times to turn the controller off and on i have another gig coming up on 10/11/14 I need help with this
dizzyrocks2001 11:54 PM - 21 September, 2014
I had the same problem but only on one occasion, and I think it was before updating the driver. All I know is I've played on the unit for about 50 hours since and the problem hasn't reoccured. Like marcA said, I think it may be a Pitch 'n Time thing because now that I think about it I stopped using Pitch 'n Time because of the annoying popping sounds I'd get when scratching. So my suggestion would be to make sure you have the most recent driver and disable Pitch 'n Time and see if that helps.