DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Alternative DDJ-SZ Travel Case (Available Now!)

DJ Unscene 2:24 AM - 12 April, 2014
Hello all,

I know there has been some frustration for some time in finding a travel case for the new Pioneer DDJ-SZ controller in the U.S. and the latest rumors I’ve heard was that Odyssey was releasing a travel case at the end of this month (April 30th 2014).

Thanks to DJ Rukus Vibe and his wise thinking, I took him up on his idea as I needed a TSA approved travel case for traveling but didn’t want to wait on Odyssey or another company.

Hopefully available at your local music store, the Gator GKPE-61-TSA designed for a 61 key keyboard fits the DDJ-SZ controller like a glove! What’s great about it is it has additional space for your headphones and cables PLUS it has built in wheels to roll it around.
All the foam inserts are removable for custom setup by you. The case itself is lightweight (24lbs) and solid. For everything I would need for a gig (minus the laptop) everything would still be <50lbs and easy for airline travel. **Click link below**

Obviously with this setup you won’t have a “slider” for a laptop stand but since I’ve been using this controller I’ve never used it while in a case nor for the past 1.5 years with my old DDJ-SX controller have I used it while in a travel case.

I just wanted to give you guys an alternative for a travel case that can be used right now instead of waiting for a much heavier case. Oh, if you check out the reviews of this case, it has gotten high reviews by users. If you pick one up from Guitar Center, be sure to pick up a Road Runner “stretchy” keyboard cover (size: Medium) which fits perfectly over the DDJ-SZ and further protect it from dust too!

-DJ Unscene

i39.photobucket.com
DJ_X_Trodinaire 3:36 AM - 12 April, 2014
nice find
geeunot 9:09 AM - 15 April, 2014
thanks bud!
Dj Youkai 1:48 PM - 15 April, 2014
Thank You.. Very Nice Find :)
VJ Justin Allen 5:54 PM - 15 April, 2014
very nice.
Nicholy 6:41 PM - 15 April, 2014
Has anyone tried this soft case yet? www.americanmusical.com

depth could be a tight fit...
Djpr1 8:19 PM - 15 April, 2014
Quote:

I like that better!
Great find!!
Nicholy 8:22 PM - 15 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

I like that better!
Great find!!

I havent tested it as my SZ is on backorder it could be a tight fit, both are 16.5"
Djpr1 9:09 PM - 15 April, 2014
True...please keep us post it. I am very tempted to purchase that bag. I dont have my SZ either I had to send it back to Pioneer.
DJ SwaggaBack 6:11 AM - 16 April, 2014
Yeah Case Hack!!!
anthony.djelbambino 9:53 PM - 30 April, 2014
well i just visit this website and they are a custom case shop they got it from $400-950 what

you guys this about this styles www.casescenterllc.com
DJ_X_Trodinaire 9:55 PM - 30 April, 2014
Quote:
well i just visit this website and they are a custom case shop they got it from $400-950 what

Saw that on instagram.

Interesting Lighted cases :)
anthony.djelbambino 10:16 PM - 30 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Saw that on instagram.

Interesting Lighted cases :)

yeah and the near my location im thinking about it
djmystery805 11:48 PM - 16 May, 2014
Quote:

-DJ Unscene

i39.photobucket.com

Dj Unscene, thanks to your post and picture, I also picked up the Gator GKPE-61-TSA case. It does fit like a glove around the SZ. In addition, the case is light. All I need now is the long awaited Decksaver. I was already getting frustrated in having to lug the SZ in the original packaging box but I did not want to settle for just any case. I feel this case offers the protection I was looking and the size/thinness/lightness makes it even better.

By the way, during my search for a case for the SZ I also looked at: 1) the Gator GKB Nylon Keyboard Gig Bag 61 Key ($90), which was too flimsy and did not provide much outside protection to the SZ. 2) Gator GK-61 61-Key Lightweight Keyboard Case ($150), which did not hold the SZ tightly in place and does not come with adjustable padding. 3) Road Runner RK3816D Deep 61- Key Keyboard Bag ($43), which was also too flimsy and did not provide much outside protection to the SZ.
Djpr1 12:57 PM - 27 May, 2014
Quote:

*Update

This fits better than any other bags I've seen. Some of the other soft bags/cases are just too big, this is a perfect fit.

$49 soft bag with enough padding to protect the SZ, you can't beat it...
Djpr1 1:22 PM - 27 May, 2014
Nicholy 2:07 PM - 27 May, 2014
Score! still waiting on the back order for mine....
Djpr1 2:19 PM - 27 May, 2014
Thanks to you Nicholy...;)
Hope you get your SZ soon!!!
Dj_Mase 6:49 PM - 19 June, 2014
For those of y'll looking for a cheaper case for Pioneer DDJ- SZ... Pro X cases makes one for $234
ProX XS-DDJSZWLTBL for Pioneer DDJ-SZ | KPODJ

www.kpodj.com here for $219
Dj Youkai 7:02 PM - 19 June, 2014
Quote:
For those of y'll looking for a cheaper case for Pioneer DDJ- SZ... Pro X cases makes one for $234
ProX XS-DDJSZWLTBL for Pioneer DDJ-SZ | KPODJ

www.kpodj.com here for $219

My Friend Actually Have a Pro X Black Label for his SR and I would say. It's pretty nice also. I actually love how it uses a metal pipe for the sliding tray. And the texture design finish on the wood is looks cool also. Great Fine. Thanks for posting it. Have to see if the Shipping is Free to Hawaii. It's hard to find Mainland Websites that provide free shipping to all 50 states nowadays :(
Certified Quality Entertainment 7:13 PM - 19 June, 2014
These case makers need to understand that people want at least enough space under the unit to install wireless mic receivers, cable management etc...Hard to find with enough space.

Only one I found that has room is road ready cases which I have for my SX. But I had to cut a large chunk of foam underneath to fit everything. Which is fine, but there needs to be room for that stuff.
Dj Youkai 10:34 PM - 19 June, 2014
Quote:
These case makers need to understand that people want at least enough space under the unit to install wireless mic receivers, cable management etc...Hard to find with enough space.

Only one I found that has room is road ready cases which I have for my SX. But I had to cut a large chunk of foam underneath to fit everything. Which is fine, but there needs to be room for that stuff.

Really? You put a wireless mic receivers under the case?
DJ_X_Trodinaire 11:59 PM - 19 June, 2014
Quote:
ess mic receivers under the case?

I did it with my VCI380 case.
Would like to have the same for the SZ.

Neat freak :) Less things to hook up/setup
Certified Quality Entertainment 12:12 AM - 20 June, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Of course. Cable management. Custom connections. Etc. Need room for all that!
DJ BEAR 5:36 AM - 3 July, 2014
Quote:
Hello all,

I know there has been some frustration for some time in finding a travel case for the new Pioneer DDJ-SZ controller in the U.S. and the latest rumors I’ve heard was that Odyssey was releasing a travel case at the end of this month (April 30th 2014).

Thanks to DJ Rukus Vibe and his wise thinking, I took him up on his idea as I needed a TSA approved travel case for traveling but didn’t want to wait on Odyssey or another company.

Hopefully available at your local music store, the Gator GKPE-61-TSA designed for a 61 key keyboard fits the DDJ-SZ controller like a glove! What’s great about it is it has additional space for your headphones and cables PLUS it has built in wheels to roll it around.
All the foam inserts are removable for custom setup by you. The case itself is lightweight (24lbs) and solid. For everything I would need for a gig (minus the laptop) everything would still be <50lbs and easy for airline travel. **Click link below**

Obviously with this setup you won’t have a “slider” for a laptop stand but since I’ve been using this controller I’ve never used it while in a case nor for the past 1.5 years with my old DDJ-SX controller have I used it while in a travel case.

I just wanted to give you guys an alternative for a travel case that can be used right now instead of waiting for a much heavier case. Oh, if you check out the reviews of this case, it has gotten high reviews by users. If you pick one up from Guitar Center, be sure to pick up a Road Runner “stretchy” keyboard cover (size: Medium) which fits perfectly over the DDJ-SZ and further protect it from dust too!

-DJ Unscene

i39.photobucket.com

I just got the proXcase, it's nice because I can have the mic, power, and other stuff built into it with plenty of room left over. However I got the SZ because it's more portable, and the proXcase is heavier then the gator one. As a mobile DJ I really wanna try the Gator one. Anyon find a good price on it? Reviews?
pdidy 10:07 AM - 3 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

well doesnt everybody ?
Watchwww.youtube.com
case with space under controller example Watchwww.youtube.com
Certified Quality Entertainment 1:18 PM - 3 July, 2014
I think I posted Pics of my setup with my mods...if not, here they are. It's a road ready case for my SX.

i209.photobucket.com
i209.photobucket.com
i209.photobucket.com
i209.photobucket.com

Recently added more room to fit my new Line 6 wireless mic as well as my mini mic/line mixer I keep under the coffin to fix the mic distortion issue. Route the mic to the mini mixer, then the mixer to the line in to line 1 on the SX.
www.bhphotovideo.com
yioti joans 11:18 AM - 9 August, 2014
Hello,

Here is another option for ddj-sz softcase.

BUBM Bag for Pioneer DDJ-SZ at the website oladj.com

Cheers.
ProXLivePerformanceGear 4:51 AM - 17 September, 2015
I should say thank you all for your support to ProX, With all the respect to all other flight case manufacturer, we use 3/8" plywood and we build our cases like a TANK to PROTECT your gear. Also the honey comb laminate makes the ProX very unique design.
pdidy 7:22 AM - 17 September, 2015
Quote:
I should say thank you all for your support to ProX, With all the respect to all other flight case manufacturer, we use 3/8" plywood and we build our cases like a TANK to PROTECT your gear. Also the honey comb laminate makes the ProX very unique design.

when I was looking for a case for my ddjsx2 I demoed the prox cases first because it was cheaper than all other options. The cheap look and build quality of the prox case was extremely obvious compared to to odyssey brand. The cheaper price could not make me overlook the poor quality so I was happy to spend more on the Odyssey case.
pdidy 7:27 AM - 17 September, 2015
No offense to the prox case owners.
djvtyme85 6:04 PM - 17 September, 2015
Quote:
No offense to the prox case owners.

i agree. my uncle has a prox for his SZ and the laptop tray doesn't even fully extend enough to access the mic and effects controlls. we always are reaching under it with caution to make sure we select the right switch. plus it actually dent in the middle and that happened during transport. for ppl that are very careful with their gear even in a case explain how that happens. my homeboy got the SZ with a pio case and hasnt had any of those issues
Taipanic 7:18 PM - 17 September, 2015
For my SZ I have the Odyssey hard case with the slide out keyboard tray (FZGSPIDDJSZGT) and the soft case (BRLDIGITAL3XL). Both quality pieces.
Kevin Rebellious 10:23 PM - 25 October, 2015
Just Got my SZ over the weekend. Also looking for a Case to carry around that doesn't weight a lot. Travelling via Air would be hectic with the Flightcase that Pioneer has for it. Please keep us posted. Im in South Africa. Much more difficult to purchase here.
DJ Glen C 10:01 PM - 10 February, 2016
Ok so I've recently purchased the DDJ- SZ controller and I'm loving it, however, once purchased I went to buy a case for it and Pioneer don't do one ?????
I find this very hard to believe considering I have cases for all my other Pioneer toys.
If the SZ is their flagship then why don't they make a case?
I looked at the Pioneer case for the SX2 ( the one with the plush red velvet liner, the Pioneer DJC SC5) and guess what ? It's not available for the SZ !
I asked this question direct to Pioneer and they said " the SZ controller isn't meant to be portable" Isn't that down to the end user ? I mean, surely it's not that big lol. It's no different to when I was lugging around all in one disco decks like the Citronic Thames etc.
They have just released the new controller, the RZ, which is the same size as the SZ but still no case is available !

Anyone know where I can get a soft case made the same as the Pioneer DJC SC5 for my SZ?
Perhaps I can speak to the company direct that make these bags for Pioneer? I dunno.

I know there are a few cases out there that will fit my controller but I don't want a "third party" case, I want an authentic Pioneer case to match all my other cases.
Rebelguy 10:28 PM - 10 February, 2016
Quote:
Ok so I've recently purchased the DDJ- SZ controller and I'm loving it, however, once purchased I went to buy a case for it and Pioneer don't do one ?????
I find this very hard to believe considering I have cases for all my other Pioneer toys.
If the SZ is their flagship then why don't they make a case?
I looked at the Pioneer case for the SX2 ( the one with the plush red velvet liner, the Pioneer DJC SC5) and guess what ? It's not available for the SZ !
I asked this question direct to Pioneer and they said " the SZ controller isn't meant to be portable" Isn't that down to the end user ? I mean, surely it's not that big lol. It's no different to when I was lugging around all in one disco decks like the Citronic Thames etc.
They have just released the new controller, the RZ, which is the same size as the SZ but still no case is available !

Anyone know where I can get a soft case made the same as the Pioneer DJC SC5 for my SZ?
Perhaps I can speak to the company direct that make these bags for Pioneer? I dunno.

I know there are a few cases out there that will fit my controller but I don't want a "third party" case, I want an authentic Pioneer case to match all my other cases.

I thought I heard that Odyssey makes the cases for Pioneer so there you are.
DJ Glen C 10:41 PM - 10 February, 2016
They make cases for the controller yes but not the authentic Pioneer case.
Phuture2 1:18 AM - 11 February, 2016
Guitar center has an official SZ case in the stores. Saw one over the weekend
Rebelguy 1:40 AM - 11 February, 2016
Quote:
They make cases for the controller yes but not the authentic Pioneer case.

No from my understanding Odyssey makes the cases for Pioneer and Pioneer puts their branding on it. Pioneer is not the case manufacturer.
Rebelguy 1:41 AM - 11 February, 2016
And if you are looking for the official Pioneer case you can get it here.

www.sweetwater.com
DJ Glen C 8:16 AM - 11 February, 2016
Quote:

www.sweetwater.com

That's a hard case dude, I want the soft case but thanks anyway.
Rebelguy 8:41 AM - 11 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

www.sweetwater.com

That's a hard case dude, I want the soft case but thanks anyway.

My bad. I wasn't paying full attention when reading your post.
Taipanic 3:11 PM - 11 February, 2016
I have both a hard case and the soft case from Odyssey, they are great:
www.agiprodj.com
Hard Case:
www.agiprodj.com

The hard case won't fit in my car, lol.
DJ Glen C 4:02 PM - 11 February, 2016
Quote:
www.agiprodj.com
Hard Case:
www.agiprodj.com

Yes was looking at that soft case dude but a little concerned my laptop won't get much protection.
Taipanic 6:16 PM - 11 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
www.agiprodj.com
Hard Case:
www.agiprodj.com

Yes was looking at that soft case dude but a little concerned my laptop won't get much protection.

I've never had any issues with my MBP 17 in it, there is some padding. I try not to bang the case around much anyways. It holds the laptop, external drives, stand, all cabling & headphones. It's not very light at that point but it is functional. With the hard case, I have to carry a laptop case & another bag or case with cables & stuff.
DJ Reaction 1:39 AM - 23 October, 2016
I want that bag that Djpr1 posted, does anyone know the info on that so I can purchase? Thanks!
DJ Reaction 1:40 AM - 23 October, 2016

Want this bag! model # info please