Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Error: Failed to connect to MIDI device

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Pioneer DJ DDJ-SZ
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
Bill312 6:17 PM - 7 April, 2014
Downloaded Serato DJ and installed drivers for DDJSZ. However serato DJ will not recognise the device
Bill312 5:18 PM - 8 April, 2014
I have ensured the DDJSZ is not the default audio device and have updated the computers BIOS. What else is there to try?
Bill312 5:52 PM - 9 April, 2014
Packard Bell Laptop with 2.1Ghz Intel Dual Core Processor 4GB RAM
Serato, Support
Matt P 6:03 PM - 14 April, 2014
Hi Bill312,

Have you tried all available USB ports? What usb ports do you have on your computer?
Have you tried updating the drivers for the USB from the manufacturers website?

Are you using any other devices?

Matt p
Bill312 7:09 PM - 14 April, 2014
Yes, I have tried all available USB ports with several different cables. I have 2x USB 2.0 ports and two USB ports (Intel ICH9) and the drivers are shown as up to date when I search for updates through device manager. I have also used MIDI OX to test the MIDI messages from the DDJSZ and it sees them all. It works with Setato DJ on my friends laptop and also works with Traktor Pro 2 on my laptop using the .tsi file to map the MIDI messages to the software. I am not using any other USB or MIDI devices
Serato, Support
Matt P 11:48 PM - 15 April, 2014
Bill312,

Since its working fine on the other computer, the hardware is ok, and the software is ok, it must be a compatibility with something in your computer.
If you are getting midi messaging, then you may want to try updating the firmware - pioneerdj.com and maybe reinstalling the drivers too

Matt P
Bill312 2:57 PM - 16 April, 2014
I have re-installed the drivers many times to no avail and the firmware is shown as the latest version on the Pioneer website. Surely if the issue was with the firmware of the device it would not work with serato on my friends laptop?
The problem appears to be with my computer, but I have no idea what settings or issues could be causing this problem in the software.
What sort of "handshake" message is communicated between the DDJSZ and Serato so that the device is recognised and can this be monitored?
Serato, Support
Matt P 11:07 PM - 20 April, 2014
Hi Bill312,

I'm not sure why your computer isn't recognized either. I assume there must be some incompatibility with the USB and drivers. I would like to know if you have maybe another driver conflicting with your DDJ-SZ.

Do you have other audio software installed on your machine?

In the past Avid have created conflicts with our software and our partners drivers.

Regards

Matt P
Bill312 7:44 PM - 23 April, 2014
I have Native Instruments Massive and Traktor. I also have Ableton 9 installed and Push and APC40 controllers
Serato, Support
Matt P 9:32 PM - 24 April, 2014
HI Bill312,

You don't have any of these other programs running at the same time?

When you connect do you see the DDJ-SZ in your device manager? Does it connect with ableton for midi mapping?

Matt P
Bill312 4:11 PM - 7 May, 2014
None of the other programs have been running when I have tried to run Serato.

In Device manager there are two drivers. DDJ-SZ and Pioneer DDJ-SZ. I have tried deleting each one individually to see if one will work on its own but it didn't work so I reinstalled.

The DDJ-SZ does connect with ableton and all controls can be Midi-mapped.

If I connect the controller while Serato is running and the Online window is open, the online window displays the message "device connected" while the main screen displays "no compatible dj device connected".
Also, the my serato window displays that Serato DJ is "Hardware Activated Pioneer DDJ-SZ"
Serato, Support
Matt P 3:18 PM - 13 May, 2014
HI Bill312,

Would you be able to try creating a new user account and see if that allows you to connect?

Let me know if that allows you to connect

Regards

Matt P
6:48 PM, 13 May 2014
Bill312 attached a file: image.jpg
View· Permalink
6:49 PM, 13 May 2014
View· Permalink
6:50 PM, 13 May 2014
View· Permalink
6:50 PM, 13 May 2014
View· Permalink
6:51 PM, 13 May 2014
View· Permalink
408sharke 5:33 AM - 17 May, 2014
i have the same issue tried everything but wipe/reformat... worked like a charm on my friends macbook pro...and its crazy how on the mac serato it downloads the drivers from within the application. its easy.. but on windows no luck.
Bill312 4:56 PM - 21 May, 2014
Using a new user account did not help. Again the online window recognises that a pioneer DDJSZ is connected which has activated the licence, but the main software window still displays the same error messages.
Serato, Support
Matt P 5:47 PM - 21 May, 2014
Hi Bill312,

Something is blocking the handshake between the software and the DDJ-SZ have you got any antivirus software or any hubs between the connection?

Try connecting to another computer or another piece of Serato hardware if possible and see if you can isolate the issue.

Matt P
Dj dwarfy 3:25 PM - 22 May, 2014
am having the same issue aswell.. any one know how to resolve this?
hummer 1963 5:59 AM - 24 May, 2014
just got my ddj -sz. all driver and serato software downloaded, but when i connect the usb to my window 7 laptop, a message came out = failed to connect midi device. been doing for 4 hours but still the same, what should i do, please help
Serato, Support
Matt P 10:04 PM - 25 May, 2014
Hey guys,

have you tried this? - serato.com

If you haven't done so already, it would be best for you to start your own threads so we can help you properly.

Thanks

Matt P
hummer 1963 9:29 AM - 26 May, 2014
tried to follow all your instruction but still it says failed to connect midi device, please help
hummer 1963 5:21 PM - 26 May, 2014
All of the above what Matt did I also do it, called sony tech SUPPORT and they remotely repair and troubleshooting my laptop for 2 hrs. Still failure to connect midi device. They said the compatibility is the issue because the laptop recognized the device. Besides, a lot customers complaining the same issue. We tried all your instructions again and again for hrs and hrs, ending the same problem. Will you please make this work cause I like the controller.
hummer 1963 5:26 PM - 26 May, 2014
The technician also said about Pioneer registry on the driver
Iva Wong 2:50 PM - 15 June, 2014
Hello
I also have the same issue happening after I follow Serato instruction, set my computer internal sound card as default sound device, try both USB ports, re-install pioneer driver even the Serato DJ 1.63, any suggestion or solution that can help?
Iva Wong 5:13 PM - 15 June, 2014
Hello,

Finally I can use it normally, the solution is install a flash of both DDJ-SZ driver and Serato DJ 1.63 in my Mac OSX 10.6.8 (I never did it before), just give up using the Win7, very simply to let Serato DJ work with the controller by just 3 steps, 1. install the controller driver without connecting it, 2. install the Serato DJ, 3. Start to rock & roll ^^
djdk80 8:20 AM - 19 June, 2014
Same Problem
Quote:
Hello
I also have the same issue happening after I follow Serato instruction, set my computer internal sound card as default sound device, try both USB ports, re-install pioneer driver even the Serato DJ 1.63, any suggestion or solution that can help?

.. same problem here ..
they really need to fix this issue with windows 7
preacha merciless 8:31 PM - 2 August, 2014
GOOD NEWS...

I finally got my pc with windows 7 to work with my pioneer ddj sz and all i did was run a windows update and "WAALAH" it worked like a charm!

I hope it works for you like how it worked for me.

Good luck
pandoo1 6:22 PM - 3 August, 2014
No luck at all here, this sz is just looking like a waste of money. Tried everything and nothing works.
Dj RedOne 7:34 AM - 6 September, 2014
Hi

Can someone please help me. I purchased the DDJ SZ installed all the firmware, software and dj serato however when i connect device to laptop nothing is reading.
also laptop does not show both A and B units like the picture in the book on downloading instructions.
please help someone its been 7 days and still no luck after 100's of rands in data bundles
hummer 1963 1:07 AM - 11 September, 2014
is there interruptions when connecting my pc to ddj-sz when there is virtual dj7 already installed on my pc. please advice
Kyle @ Soundselect the shop 10:58 AM - 13 September, 2014
Hey Guys

The issue is Service pack 1 from windows

you need to make sure it is installed and updated, the easy way to do this is to update windows and select service pack one then update and download.

I have had a few issues at my store with this exact issue that clients were experiencing and i fixed them all this way.

I hope this helps you all as the DDJ SZ is not a waste of cash and is an awesome controller with some seriously awesome features.

I'n not just saying this because i sell them! it truly is! Serato as well is an awesome software and i reckon the 2 couldn't have been better paired!
Kyle @ Soundselect the shop 11:02 AM - 13 September, 2014
Please note that my above mentioned post is with windows 7 and previous versions as windows 8 comes standard with service pack 2
BrodyGunn 4:03 AM - 17 September, 2014
I have spent a week trying to figure this issue out with Serato not recognizing my DDJ-SZ. I knew for a fact what the issue was during my frustration. However I have FOUND the solution! IF YOU ARE USING USB 3.0 IT WILL NOT WORK. My PC only had 2 USB 3.0 connections.....or what I thought...I spent the greater part of today trying to find a USB 2.0 ExpressCard for my laptop, hoping it would solve my issue, with minimal luck I was contemplating either switching to Traktor, Virtual DJ or all together returning my product until I did some reading....

I was going to use my last hope and see if i could get some kind of eSata cable for my laptop (because my laptop does have eSata hook-up). When I took another look at the port on my laptop I discovered that it read eSata/[USB Logo] I read up on the specs and discovered that it in fact was a eSata/USB 2.0 combi port. Plugged it in and connected in no time.

I hope this can help some of the people having connection issues!

(Windows 7 SP1 64 BIT)
Oscar Bass 3:13 PM - 18 September, 2014
Hola. Otro más que se une a la causa. Llevo 4 días peleando con esta situación. También tengo Windows 7 64 bits. E probado todo lo que me dicen y no consigo nada. Me queda por formatear el ordenador e instalar de nuevo desde 0 la ddj sz y serato a ver si hay solución. Aún no lo e conectado a otro pc ya que no tengo posibilidad.
hummer 1963 7:52 PM - 18 September, 2014
Bitte schreiben sie auf english
Hcuk 4:21 PM - 1 October, 2014
Quote:

I have spent a week trying to figure this issue out with Serato not recognizing my DDJ-SZ. I knew for a fact what the issue was during my frustration. However I have FOUND the solution! IF YOU ARE USING USB 3.0 IT WILL NOT WORK. My PC only had 2 USB 3.0 connections.....or what I thought...I spent the greater part of today trying to find a USB 2.0 ExpressCard for my laptop, hoping it would solve my issue, with minimal luck I was contemplating either switching to Traktor, Virtual DJ or all together returning my product until I did some reading....

I was going to use my last hope and see if i could get some kind of eSata cable for my laptop (because my laptop does have eSata hook-up). When I took another look at the port on my laptop I discovered that it read eSata/[USB Logo] I read up on the specs and discovered that it in fact was a eSata/USB 2.0 combi port. Plugged it in and connected in no time.

I hope this can help some of the people having connection issues!

(Windows 7 SP1 64 BIT)

Thanks BrodyGunn! I had a similar issue with my DDJ-SX as serato 1.7 was not able to recognize the device. I tried using my eSata port and serato recognized it straight away. I know this thread is for the DDJ-SZ but i recommend that everyone who is having problems with any pioneer device recognition try connecting through an eSata port or usb 2.0. If you do not have either of these ports and you are not able to connect to serato at all, try installing serato 1.3 or lower as I was able to run my Pioneer DDJ-SX through this but for some unknown reason as soon as I tried to update to a newer version of serato I began to encounter device detection problems. Hope this helps any one else with a similar problem.
Pleasurefunk 4:56 AM - 28 October, 2014
So the conclusion is the problem is either the service pack 1 (which i am downloading as we speak) and if this doesnt work then it must be that my laptop only has 1 usb port and its a 3.0. I really hope that the real issue is that the USB port 3.0 wont work unless the service pack is istalled.
Pleasurefunk 4:58 AM - 28 October, 2014
Quote:
Hola. Otro más que se une a la causa. Llevo 4 días peleando con esta situación. También tengo Windows 7 64 bits. E probado todo lo que me dicen y no consigo nada. Me queda por formatear el ordenador e instalar de nuevo desde 0 la ddj sz y serato a ver si hay solución. Aún no lo e conectado a otro pc ya que no tengo posibilidad.

Jefe el problema es que tienes que istalar los updates de windows
CyberMousey 6:48 AM - 12 November, 2014
Are you serious. The DDJ-SZ doesn't work on USB 3.0 ports? I just bought a new laptop and the only ports I have are 3.0 Is there no other way around this, (except to use sSerato 1.3?) I don't think I would be able to do that. Is there not an option to force the 3.0 port to run like a 2.0?
Serato, Support
Matt P 5:04 PM - 12 November, 2014
Hi CyberMousey,

If you use a hub, you can actually downgrade the input to a USB2.0 port.
This isn't really recommended, but its worked for some people as a workaround.

Matt P
CyberMousey 5:09 PM - 12 November, 2014
I had though about that and tried that that last night. Sadly that didn't work. It dropped out right away.
CyberMousey 5:11 PM - 12 November, 2014
I did submit a support case BTW, but I haven't heard anything yet...
CyberMousey 5:12 PM - 12 November, 2014
Serato, Support
Matt P 6:48 PM - 12 November, 2014
CyberMousey,

Ok, i'll have a look in our support inbox and follow up there. Thanks

Matt P
Bill312 5:37 PM - 1 December, 2014
My laptop crashed with power and hard disk issues so I never managed to get it working. I bought a new laptop and that works fine with the same controller. I have repaired my old laptop and completely restored it to factory defaults so I'll reinstall Serato and see if it works.
DJ Crazy Yates 8:20 PM - 8 January, 2015
I actually have the same problem with my SX on my laptop, I been using my desktop for a while after that (does have 4, 3.0 USB ports) and it worked just fine. For some strange reason, its doing the same thing my laptop does. Not recognizing it.. Did everything possible to my knowledge to fix it. ( Different cables, uninstall/re-install different versions of serato, firmware, ect.) removed other programs that may interfered with serato. Did a factory reset on my DDJ-SX.. and the list goes on.

Maybe its the computers OS, causing issues, or some hidden file keeping it from connecting?
Serato, Support
Ian W 2:59 AM - 9 January, 2015
Hey DJ Crazy Yates,

Can I direct you to to log a ticket with the support team so we can further look into your issues?

support.serato.com

Thanks,

Ian
DJ Crazy Yates 6:11 AM - 9 January, 2015
Quote:
Hey DJ Crazy Yates,

Can I direct you to to log a ticket with the support team so we can further look into your issues?

support.serato.com

Thanks,

Ian

Sure! That would be great! :D
DJ Scrat 12:09 PM - 16 January, 2015
It's a Serato Sofware problem all this serato DJ will not recognise the device! And dont let Serato tell you any diffrent!

Im having all the same issues as all of you with serato DJ will not recognise the device! I have tried everying and I mean everything!!!!! To the point that I gave up and tried Traktor! Luckly and in a last ditched attempt I tried Traktor, & guess what the controller works just fine!!!!!

Sort it out Searto! Your making expensive equitment useless!
Serato, Support
Matt P 9:31 PM - 16 January, 2015
DJ Scrat,

If it is a Serato software issue, can you please get in touch with us at support.serato.com

It would be good to know what you've tried and since you have had luck with another software, why Serato isn't connecting.
It definitely varies from computer to computer, so if you are having this problem still it would be good to know why, as not everyone has this same problem.

Matt P
DJ Scrat 10:52 AM - 17 January, 2015
Hello,

I have got in touch with support but yet to get a response! In response to what I have tried....

Tried all USB Ports USB 2.0/3.0, reinstalled USB Drivers, Chipset Drivers, Checked Bios is up-to date, Firmware, Replaced USB Cabels, Disconnect other peripherals while the DDJ-SX is conncetd. Last thing to try.... Renstalled Serato, Tried diffrent versions of Serato Old & New. Contatced Serato Suport & failed to get a response!

Then installed Traktor. Result Traktor works!!!!! Searato dont!!!!! Conculsion, seems Serato is the problem!
DJ Scrat 3:22 PM - 17 January, 2015
Just too add Virtual DJ works flawless aswell!!!
Serato, Support
Matt P 8:04 PM - 18 January, 2015
DJ Scrat,

Can you pass me your ticket #, I'll follow up with it.

Regards

Matt P
DJ Scrat 9:34 PM - 18 January, 2015
Of corse...... ticket number: 64702. Still not got a response by the way, and still havent figuerd out why Serato wont work.... also another thing which I have tried is an external sound card...result fail!....... Disabled Firewalls and Anti Virus......result fail! My only conclusion to this whole thing is that somehow something is either blocking this software to work or its some sort of hardware issue. I dont understand why as other Dj Software works fine.... Traktor, Virual DJ.
Serato, Support
Matt P 12:28 AM - 19 January, 2015
DJ Scrat,

thanks man, It looks like Luke got in touch with you today and asked a few questions. I'll let you guys continue to figure out whats happening with your setup.

I've linked to our discussion here too, so Luke will be across all the info you have shared here,

Thanks

Matt P
DJ Scrat 1:52 PM - 19 January, 2015
Brilliant cheers Matt, got Lukes message and replied with what he has requested. Hopefuly we can sort this out :)

Paul
Bill312 10:12 PM - 20 January, 2015
My laptop was still insured so I got it fixed (the hard drive had to be replaced so it was completely restored to factory settings) and serato worked no problem with the ddjsz. I'm not sure what was causing the issue.