Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Non stop "windows connection" noise

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Pioneer DJ DDJ-SX
Computer
PC
OS
Windows 8.1
Platform
-
kevin@djzproductions.com 4:43 AM - 2 April, 2014
After I open Serato DJ my computer (Dell XPS 18) won't stop playing the windows sound for recognizing new hardware, and that's even before I plug in the DDJ SX controller. I can seem to run Serato ok and I can still DJ but the sound just doesn't stop. (Please note that I have updated firmware to the newest one which I downloaded today as well as the newest update to serat0) Also, Serato seems to be disabling my touchscreen. I can't even use it outside serato even if I minimize it. Please advise. Thank you in advance for your time and help.
Serato, Support
Scott S 10:47 PM - 6 April, 2014
Hi Kevin,

Can you please explain what you mean by this:
Quote:
my computer (Dell XPS 18) won't stop playing the windows sound for recognizing new hardware

Is this the "ding" sound that happens when you plug in a USB device?

Does this only happen when Serato DJ is started? Do you see anything suspicious in your device manage? Right-click on My Computer and select Device Manager, under the USB devices tab do you see anything trying to connect, disconnect then reconnect (as indicated by the "ding" sound?)

Do you get an error in the system tray indicating that a device driver could not be installed etc?

Quote:
I can seem to run Serato ok and I can still DJ but the sound just doesn't stop.

This is quite odd, as if it was a connection problem you shouldn't be able to use the controller at all. Can you please update the USB device drivers for your computer?

Go to your computer manufactures page (Dell) and download the latest USB drivers for your machine. Also make sure you have run all the latest Windows updates.

Quote:
Also, Serato seems to be disabling my touchscreen. I can't even use it outside serato even if I minimize it. Please advise.

Although most touchscreen computers are able to work fine with Serato DJ, Serato does not actually support the use of touchscreen PC's. We do not develop our software for full compatibility with touchscreen computers and some features provided by your computer might hinder Serato DJ's performance.

These two issues might be related, let me know your findings.

Regards
bcsilva 10:22 PM - 6 May, 2014
I am having a very similar problem. I have the same Dell XPS and I'm a Systems Administrator so I tried updating everything (drivers and software) but still have the problem. It won't do it if I have my DDJ-SX on when I open Serato DJ. It works fine, then (though there have been a few times when it's started doing it while I'm playing music later on). It will do it every time, if I start Serato without the DDJ-SX on. As Kevin says, it appears as though it's trying to discover new hardware. It's almost like it's trying to load the driver for the DDJ-SX, even though it's not connected. Same thing, though...you just keep hearing the noise for "connecting new hardware", then the noise for "disconnecting the hardware". As Kevin stated, also, you can look in the system tray and see the new hardware icon pop up, then right back off the screen.
kevin@djzproductions.com 8:33 PM - 7 May, 2014
Thank you bcsilva for backing me up. I hope they solve this problem soon.
Lucas K 8:15 PM - 3 June, 2015
Hello,
I got exactly the same problem on my HP Pavilion 15-p245sa (apart from touchscreen part :P ). So far the only solution I could came out with was disabling Windows sounds completely when using Serato :/
Lucas K 9:49 PM - 3 June, 2015
Mind you it works fine with DJ Intro through the same port ^^
Lucas K 8:06 PM - 4 June, 2015
BTW I'm using DDJ-SB
Why there's no way to edit own posts?:P
Lucas K 8:18 AM - 5 June, 2015
That's an email I just send to Serato:

"Hello Juan,
I found the guilty one :D and all because you asked about USB devices. I have 3 USB ports (1 x 2.0 and 2 x 3.0).
With 2.0 normally I use D-Link DUB-4 hub to which I connect a mouse, asus xonar u3 (usb soundcard), tablet cable and iphone cable.
DDJ-SB goes into one of 3.0 ports. Now it turns out that the hub was a problem :O
As soon as I plug hub in (even though I don't use it to plug DDJ-SB) the problem with Serato occur. I will have to try different usb hub.
Thank you for your help and fast response :)
All the best"

Thumbs up for Juan from Serato Team
Lucas
Mix Master Mcgregor 11:35 AM - 17 June, 2015
Its a common problem for a few people with windows 8 superuser.com

It could also be a bit of spyware or malware too, installing devices, as that's something i've seen happen before (from my old technical support day)

I would personally format the hardrive and install windows 7, but thats just me :)
Lucas K 8:44 PM - 24 June, 2015
Too bad it's not possible to downgrade win 8 to 7 anymore :/ I hope they gonna fix it in win 10.