Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Getting intermittent audio dropout while using Serato Dj with DDJ-SX.

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Pioneer DJ DDJ-SX
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
djamara 1:36 AM - 18 March, 2014
Getting audio dropout intermittently, sometimes once an hour, and sometimes more frequently when using with my DDJ-SX. I have all my settings as recommended on the link below. I also tried both USB ports, with the same issue.I'm not using an external hard drive and I tried different buffer settings and I get the same issue. I even used my friend's DDJ-SX thinking it is the hardware but I'm still getting the dropout. Please help.

serato.com

Computer specs:
Processor 2.66GHZ
Memory 8GB
Macbook Pro
Serato, Support
Matt P 6:30 PM - 18 March, 2014
Hi djamara,

Are you pushing the limiter into the red? Have you removed all corrupted files from your music library?

What files are you finding this happening on?

Matt P
8:18 PM, 18 Mar 2014
djamara attached a file: Screen shot 2014-03-17 at 8.53.42 PM.png
View· Permalink
djamara 8:19 PM - 18 March, 2014
Not pushing the limiter to red and no corrupted files. It doesn't happen on any specific file. I tested it thoroughly last night and it happened about twice an hour. I also attached a screen shot of my Activity Monitor after the dropout. I also noticed that there was no red or orange circle that appears in the upper right hand corner when the audio drops out. The drop out is about a half second long.
djstevemonroe 9:28 PM - 18 March, 2014
Interested in this as suddenly having this problem last Friday (three times) and Saturday (twice). Have made no setting adjustments to either my Mac or my Serato DJ settings and it's happened on different files - very concerned that sometime soon the whole thing might just stop dead !!
Serato, Support
Matt P 6:07 PM - 19 March, 2014
Hi djamara,

Can you try adjusting the usb buffer and let me know if that helps at all. I would suggest 2-5ms
Are you using PnTDJ or any FX when you get the drops?

Matt P
djamara 3:26 AM - 20 March, 2014
Hi Matt, I mentioned in my original post that I've tried several usb buffer settings and I still get the same issue. I am not using PnTDJ and no FX. Did my screenshot reveal anything?
Serato, Support
Matt P 7:21 PM - 23 March, 2014
Hi djamara,

Can you try comparing it with another version of SDJ found here - serato.com

This will eliminate the possibility of it being related to this version.

Thanks

Matt P
djamara 6:28 AM - 25 March, 2014
The problem appears in all 1.5 and 1.6 versions.
Serato, Support
Matt P 7:14 PM - 26 March, 2014
Hi djamara,

So the thing to note here is if you are getting the CPU light showing up it means you are close to having an audio dropout. If you are getting an audio dropout then you really need to adjust the usb buffer.

Optimization like tunrning wifi off and bluetooth is really important.

Tell me more about the remaining space on your computer as this will play a part in CPU strain.

Also try the 1.6.1 update and let me know how that goes

Matt P
djamara 7:09 PM - 10 June, 2014
I've tried the optimization. Wifi and bluetooth always off when I'm playing. I have 600GB free on my hard drive. I also tried another DDJ-SX that my friend let me borrow and I still have the issue, so it looks like it's definitely software related. Upgrading to 1.6.3 does not help.
Serato, Support
Matt P 4:46 PM - 11 June, 2014
Hi djamara,

Good information. Lets eliminate any possibility of it being related to your computer somehow. Are you finding this happening at a particular time of the night? Do you have any other devices connected when playing?
Have you set your harddrive to never go to sleep in the System preferences menu?

Let me know how this goes

Matt P
djamara 4:55 PM - 11 June, 2014
it happens in both daytime and nighttime every single time I play. sometimes it won't happen for an hour or two, sometimes it happens within 30 mins of my set. there's no pattern. nothing is connected to my computer. it happens whether or not ddjsx is connected to front or rear USB port. hard drive is set to never sleep.
Serato, Support
Matt P 3:51 AM - 26 June, 2014
Hi djamara,

Ok, can I get your full system profile? I can't see why my 2010 mbp can work it no sweat but yours is struggling and giving you USB dropouts.

I'll try and figure this out still

Regards
SmoothCity 9:30 PM - 23 July, 2014
There is no rhyme or reason this just happens. Changed to every buffer size and it still happens. Any luck on the solution?
ZenBurns 7:32 AM - 28 July, 2014
Identical problem here.
ZenBurns 11:12 PM - 4 August, 2014
Hello, I've been having the same problem starting around the same time as djamara.

I'm on MPB OS X 10.9.4 2.3GHz i7 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
SDJ 1.6.3 Pioneer DDJ SX 1.7

I noticed all of these threads start around March of 2014.

I tried the DDJ SX with Traktor in March and didn't like it. I reset the DDJ SX back to Serato mode. I don't know if that's related.

Any ideas?
Ollie DJ 12:00 PM - 7 August, 2014
Im having exactly the same problem.

Using both rane SL3 and Pioneer DJM 900 SRT.

I have a macbook pro OS X 10.6.8, 2.66ghz intel core duo, 16gb ram and 500gb SSD.

Also another dj i work with is also having this problem since switching to Serato DJ.

As the others have said its completely random and not dependent on buffer setting. I have tried also the setting suggestions by serato but no joy.

Also NO cpu light appears before or during these dropouts.
DJ Frustro 3:55 PM - 7 August, 2014
Sounds to me like you might have a faulty USB port or ports on your MacBook. How do you troubleshoot that is the question - See if you get any other sort of strange USB issues with other devices and if so, I would recommend having APPLE replace the motherboard. These things are not unheard of even with our wonderful hardware from APPLE
Ollie DJ 4:11 PM - 7 August, 2014
Hi DJ frustro

I don't believe it can be USB ports as I've never had any issues with any other USB devices and I can run Scratch Live for hours on end and never have any dropouts.
DJ Frustro 5:13 PM - 7 August, 2014
Quote:
Hi DJ frustro

I don't believe it can be USB ports as I've never had any issues with any other USB devices and I can run Scratch Live for hours on end and never have any dropouts.

granted, but remember, one of the basic rules of troubleshooting - eliminate one thing at a time until you get there... You've eliminated just about everything except the hardware. Scratch Live may or may not have the same demands as DJ - I don't know, but perhaps borrow a friends similar MBP and try it??
Nathan Looney 6:23 PM - 7 August, 2014
I have had the same issue with the DDJ SZ as well. Last Saturday night at a gig the audio dropped out for a second and the wave files looked as if they were going to stop, this happened twice but I was using video and an external drive so I just figure there was a glitch. Also none of my files or corrupt and all the other necessary precautions were in place.

Last night though I had it drop out 4 or 5 times in my studio just playing tracks and I was not using video and there was no external drive hooked to the computer. I also tried switching the USB port and it happened again, no rhyme or reason.

I also had turned off PnT because I have seen threads where this has cause a few issues. Though I did just update to the latest firmware on the DDJ SZ so I am not sure if this has caused a glitch.

Also for the record I use Serato DJ every Thursday, Friday and Saturday night at the club I work at but we use the Rane 64 and CDJ 900 nexus and I have had zero issues.

The latest DDJ SZ firmware was to let Traktor users use the controller and also fix a few minor bugs but I wonder if there is something in the new firmware that Serato DJ doesn't like.

I am DJing tonight on the 64 so I will see if I have any issues and I will report back, also my computer specs are below.

2013 MackBook Pro Retina display
2.6 GHz Core i7
16 GB ram
1T solid state drive
djamara 5:57 AM - 11 August, 2014
I'm a bit frustrated by the support received on this issue especially when so many users are experiencing the same thing. The responses I'm getting from support are the same questions asked previously. I've already provided my system info but here you go. I hope we can get some update on this.

Computer specs:
OSX 10.6.8
Processor 2.66GHZ
Memory 8GB
Macbook Pro
750GB hard drive, 476GB free space

Tried all versions of Serato DJ including 1.6.3 and issue can be replicated on all versions.
I also tried a friend's DDJ-SX to ensure that it's not a hardware problem. The intermittent dropout appears in both my unit and my friend, which to me leads to a software issue? Please correct me if I"m wrong and hopefully you can provide a solution to this asap. Thankyou.
RFlachs 8:18 AM - 30 August, 2014
I was having this intermittent issue with my old macbook pro which had a dual core in it, since running my i7 macbook pro I haven't had the issue. Also I would probably recommend swiping ya HDD reinstalling and trying that, you might have something running in the background... BTW I only use my macbook strictly for gigs I only have SDJ on it and nothing else.... I've seen so many ppl out there with so much stuff installed and they wonder why there getting dropouts and lockups... Keep it clean!!!!
DJ D Nois 3:22 PM - 30 August, 2014
same issue here -- checked all settings, wifi, bluetooth off (never on btw), Macbook pro Late 2011, 2.4Ghz Intel Core i7 4GB , drop outs, randomly, ruined a 2 hour recorded mix, very frustrating, I don't get this with my WeeGo and Virtual DJ Pro which costs a lot less than my DDJ SX and Serato. My DDJ-SX and Serato are all latest versions of Software. Also when applying effects the effects continue to run after i switch it off and even after the track is effected, Ihave to turn off the FX switch 1 or 2 to make it stop. We need resolution on these issues
david bu hau 6:21 AM - 31 August, 2014
If the machines have "hybrid video", turn off the nVidia or AMD video.
RFlachs 8:35 AM - 31 August, 2014
I gotta say I haven't been too happy with serato lately, I've seen a few unresolved issues that ppl have had to live with, I"m one of them with my Serato Video loading slow which is a known issue and it still hasn't been resolved, I actually spent hours on it myself and found out it was maverick causing the issue so I had to go back to Mountain Lion...
mark224 11:34 PM - 1 September, 2014
I've also been having the same problems, when loading tracks I get distortion out the speakers and lag, this issue needs to be sorted. Can't be having this on a live set.
RFlachs 1:24 AM - 4 September, 2014
Quote:
I've also been having the same problems, when loading tracks I get distortion out the speakers and lag, this issue needs to be sorted. Can't be having this on a live set.

The Serato Video lagging issue is caused by Maverick...

Regards,

R.
mark224 9:08 AM - 4 September, 2014
What's Maverick?
popnwave 10:43 AM - 4 September, 2014
Quote:
What's Maverick?

GTFO.. you on a Mac or PC?
mark224 10:47 AM - 4 September, 2014
PC
popnwave 10:49 AM - 4 September, 2014
Quote:
PC

No worries for you then, it's the name of a version of OSX.
RFlachs 11:23 PM - 4 September, 2014
Quote:
What's Maverick?

Its the latest OS for Mac :-)
djamara 4:39 AM - 12 September, 2014
still no response from support??!
BDM 10:35 AM - 23 September, 2014
Im getting this issue now. Have a dual core macbook pro with just serato dj installed nothing else.

Didnt get this issue with my SSL3 box, my DDJ-SX but since getting the DDJ-SZ ive had this issue. Upgraded from SeratoDJ 1.6.3 to 1.7 and still an issue.

I also have other issues like it saying it hasnt got beatgrids and cant use slicer but it does have beatgrids as was using slicer on my DDJ-SX but thats another topic i have open.

Really miss the old SSL3 days where i had none of these issues. Thinking of taking back the DDJ-SZ now this weekend.
Aaron Thomas 5:38 AM - 13 October, 2014
I am having the same problem for almost a month and a half. I own a Pioneer DDJ-SX, Pioneer DDJ-SZ and a Pair of Pioneer CDj2000nxs with the rane 62 Mixer. I am only getting these glitchy issue with the controllers. The problem started in Serato DJ 1.6.3 but over the pass few month OSX 10.9 has had a number of updates. The software act is if it is going to freeze or shut down. The issue gets really bad when I am scrolling the tracks from the controller, wave files on screen become jittery and computer screen refresh slows down. I am using a 2013 Macbook pro with a Solid State Hard Drive and 16GB of ram. NO REASON I AM HAVING THIS ISSUE WITH a $2000 Controller (DDJ-SZ) and a $1000 Controller (DDJ-SX). Who is the blame Pioneer, Apple or Serato? Please fix someone! And I already tried all the fixes listed and had my macbook service at the apple store! ***Serato user for 8 years now***
RFlachs 8:45 AM - 13 October, 2014
Quote:
Im getting this issue now. Have a dual core macbook pro with just serato dj installed nothing else.

Didnt get this issue with my SSL3 box, my DDJ-SX but since getting the DDJ-SZ ive had this issue. Upgraded from SeratoDJ 1.6.3 to 1.7 and still an issue.

I also have other issues like it saying it hasnt got beatgrids and cant use slicer but it does have beatgrids as was using slicer on my DDJ-SX but thats another topic i have open.

Really miss the old SSL3 days where i had none of these issues. Thinking of taking back the DDJ-SZ now this weekend.

Heya,

I did have many issues when I was running my dual core Macbook Pro with just serato on it and nothing else. To be honest I think you'll find that PC is underspec, specially with Serato Video!!!! I upgraded to a quad core Macbook Pro and found the pc wasn't working anywhere near as hard as my dual core..

I would recommend installing the fan app, rescanning all your files within serato and also on your macbook go to disk utilities and run Verify Disk Permission and Repair Disk Permissions. I did all the above 2 weeks ago on my quad core and have used my mac live for 2 weekends on both my SL3 and DDJ-SX...

Good Luck
R.
MassAppeal 4:28 PM - 26 October, 2014
I'm having similar issues that Aaron Thomas is. Fresh install of Maverick; Serato 1.7.1 and my SX firmware is up to date. Scrolling through my songs and it CRAWLS...looks like its about to crash (has happened before). PnT is on and getting audio dropouts every 5-10 seconds. Hell, the light comes on even with NOTHING PLAYING or any tracks loaded! 2GHz Core i7; 8 GB of RAM so the hardware isn't the issue. I'm really starting to debate on dumping this system and trying to go back to SL.
RFlachs 11:21 PM - 26 October, 2014
Quote:
I'm having similar issues that Aaron Thomas is. Fresh install of Maverick; Serato 1.7.1 and my SX firmware is up to date. Scrolling through my songs and it CRAWLS...looks like its about to crash (has happened before). PnT is on and getting audio dropouts every 5-10 seconds. Hell, the light comes on even with NOTHING PLAYING or any tracks loaded! 2GHz Core i7; 8 GB of RAM so the hardware isn't the issue. I'm really starting to debate on dumping this system and trying to go back to SL.

Just letting you know I did have problems after upgrading to Mavericks I went back to Mountain Lion..

R.
MassAppeal 1:54 AM - 27 October, 2014
Did that work? I don't remember if I had ML when I started using SDJ. Also, were you having the same issues?
Dave'allgood'H 6:27 PM - 28 October, 2014
I have the audio dropouts and the usb problems. I am sick and tired of it. I bought a MBP 16gb of ram i7 processor latest bells and whistles you can buy. because my PC had these issues.
Very disappointed that I have spent £1600 on a mac and it hasn't resolved my issues.
I can't be bothered with reports and and posts on here anymore.
I have posted enough about it.
I should be able to to buy a product and it should work.
Using a ddj sx btw.
MassAppeal 8:27 PM - 28 October, 2014
I'm going to try to go to mountain lion and see if that works. I am with Dave on this one, we have WELL over the minimum specs and shouldn't see these issues. No amount of reports, "try this" and "use the "good" usb (hint: no such thing)" will do anything to help the issues going on.
RockTheHouse(^87 3:08 AM - 29 October, 2014
Glad to hear everyone is having the same issue. I was 2 seconds away from having to drop $2,300 on a new MPB due to this issue thinking it was my MBP. I have been having the same problem all year since Spring. I have audio drop outs randomly throughout my sets. I am on pins and needles every time I play. I have done everything Serato suggests (bluetooth off, wifi off, tried both USB port, etc.) and the problem continues to happen. I always stay in low green on my CPU load meter, it never hits red. This is a Serato DJ issue and there is no way around it. It is the most embarrassing thing in the world when you have the dance floor flooded at an event and the music cuts. Please fix this issue ASAP
MassAppeal 2:06 PM - 29 October, 2014
Is everyone on the same OS level? I don't believe I had this issue before Marvick (for Mac) and seem to only hear about this issue with MBP (as I am not actively looking at PC issues)
RockTheHouse(^87 2:28 PM - 29 October, 2014
I have Mavericks
MassAppeal 2:31 PM - 29 October, 2014
I'm going to downgrade tonight and see if that helps (just redid my MBP anyway...shouldn't be too hard to re-re-re-do it again).

Sad that I have to do this...as a consumer....without any help by *cough* Serato *cough* :-/

I'll record and report my findings
RockTheHouse(^87 2:37 PM - 29 October, 2014
The sound waves go black and the audio cuts in and out a couple times.
MassAppeal 3:04 PM - 29 October, 2014
PnT enabled?
RockTheHouse(^87 3:34 PM - 29 October, 2014
Yes
MassAppeal 3:59 PM - 29 October, 2014
So Mavricks + PnT on MBP are all common for these issues....

*paging Serato to help*
bradbaxter 7:35 PM - 30 October, 2014
same here... just started about a month ago, just been dealing with it... never getting anywhere close to the red with all apps closed happens every 30 mins or so millisecond audio drop.. about 15-20 per night \

running 10.9.4

sl-3 with two 2000's

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B27
SMC Version (system): 1.69f4
Serial Number (system): C02FTFEMDF8V
Hardware UUID: 2EFC342D-7F57-54CF-8D93-16C41DD475F3
m.dumont 12:41 PM - 31 October, 2014
The same issue with pioneer ddj sx.
Firmware at day and system settings never sleep hd and Energy.

Please a solution for this problem.
MassAppeal 5:39 PM - 31 October, 2014
Re-Installing Mountain Lion right now, will test and check out Serato later tonight.
MassAppeal 1:46 AM - 3 November, 2014
Played 6 hours with NO audio drops....NONE! On Mountain Lion 10.8.5....I will continue to test, as the 6 hours wasn't continuously; but will do a mix and see if I have any drops. Thanks Serato for all your.....help.....

Yes, that was sade/sarcasm.
JJ Barraza 3:52 AM - 9 November, 2014
I am sooo upset at this issue.... It happens mostly on channels 1 and 3.... Transitions sound horrible due to the audio drop. Have not upgraded my OS X from 10.8.5 and Ive tried different versions of SDJ. I have no idea what to do. My device meets and exceeds all specs. It has been fine ever since purchased (Spring 2014).
All applications closed during session and the annoying audio drop show up every time I touch the faders or knobs on channels 1 and 3. Any solution yet>>>>???
JJ Barraza 3:56 AM - 9 November, 2014
Oh, one more thinking my master meter doesn't display accurate output and when the faders is all the way down (Zero) audio goes through to the master output until I slightly touch the fader... then it cuts off...
DJ Arries 9:32 AM - 9 November, 2014
So last night I played at a big club and I had probably like 10 audio glitches throughout the night!!
Audio cuts out for like 20 milliseconds or so. MBP i7 but I think the problem is because I am on Mavericks??

I do not have PnT but have all the effects packs. The screen also sometimes froze the same time the glitch happened...

And last month I had Serato crash on me while playing live too!! I honestly am starting to loose confidence in Serato...
Nathan Looney 3:55 AM - 10 November, 2014
I think the problem is depending on which controller you are using is the firmware that allows the controllers to work with Traktor. I was trying to do a mix in the studio with my DDJ-SZ and it kept cutting out same as described above.

Then decide to do the mix on my Rane Sixty-Four with CDJ 's 2000's NXS with zero issues.

I have been having the same issues on my DDJ-SZ but very random and I can say it all started after I upgraded the Pioneer controller firmware.

Thoughts?
DJ Arries 11:59 AM - 10 November, 2014
Nathan do you mean Serato?

Quote:
I think the problem is depending on which controller you are using is the firmware that allows the controllers to work with Traktor. I was trying to do a mix in the studio with my DDJ-SZ and it kept cutting out same as described above.

Then decide to do the mix on my Rane Sixty-Four with CDJ 's 2000's NXS with zero issues.

I have been having the same issues on my DDJ-SZ but very random and I can say it all started after I upgraded the Pioneer controller firmware.

Thoughts?
Nathan Looney 2:48 AM - 11 November, 2014
Dj Arries,

I do in fact mean Traktor, because the new controllers can be used with either Serato or Traktor but when the controllers first came out the controllers could only control Serato though Pioneer had a firmware update that allows the controllers to be used with Traktor and ever since that update drop outs.
DJ Arries 7:28 AM - 11 November, 2014
Oh okay I understand what you mean
JJ Barraza 8:34 AM - 12 November, 2014
This has helped.... after doing a factory reset to the ddj-sx, I am able to use Channel 2 3 and 4 without a problem. Channel 1 seems to be the issue. When performing the factory reset (power on device while holding SHIFT + Deck 1 selector blue button) and placing the upfaders all the way up, I notice that the Ch 1 meter does not stick all the way into red like the other channels did. I will try to upload a picture tomorrow, but this issue is getting annoying.
5ak 10:55 PM - 12 November, 2014
Im following this discussion and yet no proper answer from Serato guys.
USB dropouts non stop. Expecially when i try to use effects
RockTheHouse(^87 11:04 PM - 12 November, 2014
I get 4-5 every event. Absolutely ridiculous that Pioneer DJ continues to put out products controlled my this software and it doesn't even work properly.
audiomontana 7:04 AM - 13 November, 2014
I hope my ddj sx2 works correctly … ive spent the last twelve months in controller limbo because of the problems with the SZ -- returned it … no other option. side maybe traktor DJ on Ipad is actually stable on two channels through all analog mixer. < good results .. I just buy stuff and return it … 5- 10k dollars in Dj controllers now. That cant be good for profit margin.
stelianta 10:16 PM - 17 November, 2014
I have exactly the same problem. MBP late 12, i5 2,6ghz, 8gb RAM. OS X 10.9.5 , SDJ 1.7.1, Pionner ddi-sx latest firmware. No corrupted files in my library. I had no problems for enough time, but Suddenly it starts the dropouts... about half a second. Once or twice in every set. And from the day it starts... Its not stopping. In different tracks. Also before 2-3 days, after 4 hours of playing, it starts to blink the orange-red signal in the upper right corner. And this happened for 3 hours continuously. Of course i was very nervous , and i stopped using effects or loops because i was afraid for crashing. But this happened once. Never happen again. But The issue with dropouts , is still her. And sometimes Lagging.
I was sending 3-4 different mails to sera to support team But this doesn't help. All they did was questions about corrupt files, computers specs etc. NOT A REAL ANSWER !!!! I m very disappoint about this.
5ak 11:01 PM - 17 November, 2014
Im 1000% positive i will not buy ever again Pioneer's controlers. First, problems with rane serato sl1 several years, ant now everything again with controler. I dont want to end out on DJ FAILS video on youtube :p
Mark Rambo 12:33 AM - 18 November, 2014
Quote:
I have exactly the same problem. MBP late 12, i5 2,6ghz, 8gb RAM. OS X 10.9.5 , SDJ 1.7.1, Pionner ddi-sx latest firmware. No corrupted files in my library. I had no problems for enough time, but Suddenly it starts the dropouts... about half a second. Once or twice in every set. And from the day it starts... Its not stopping. In different tracks. Also before 2-3 days, after 4 hours of playing, it starts to blink the orange-red signal in the upper right corner. And this happened for 3 hours continuously. Of course i was very nervous , and i stopped using effects or loops because i was afraid for crashing. But this happened once. Never happen again. But The issue with dropouts , is still her. And sometimes Lagging.
I was sending 3-4 different mails to sera to support team But this doesn't help. All they did was questions about corrupt files, computers specs etc. NOT A REAL ANSWER !!!! I m very disappoint about this.

I have been experiencing the same thing with sdj with buffer set at 5 and running rane62 with techs on mbp 2.8 i7 16gig 512ssd, mavericks.. About to try to go back to snow leopard. And see if issue corrects. drops are def random and different on non corrupt files that I have been using part of my set for over 2 years.. Funny thing, I did 6 hour gig Thursday with zero drops, but Friday and Saturday gigs both were 5 hours in length and I had 3 drops on friday and 2 drops on sat.
JJ Barraza 12:49 AM - 18 November, 2014
And Serato support is nowhere to be found.....
jocco 2:53 PM - 18 November, 2014
Same thing here, happend like 10 times yesterday when i played for 3 hours.
Why can't Serato just accept they have an isue with this, so many users can't
just be wrong!! Fixit please.
jocco 9:35 AM - 19 November, 2014
Looks like a solution is coming very soon, found this.

"Serato DJ 1.7.2 Public Beta

We’d be really keen to hear from anyone running Yosemite OSX10.10 with Serato DJ 1.7.2.

Our initial tests have been successful so far, and we’d like to announce full support with the final release. If you are seeing any issues that seem specific to Yosemite, please let us know!"

Woohoo \0/
dj_huggies@hotmail.com 9:09 AM - 21 November, 2014
Macbook Pro 15"Retina
2.7 Ghz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDRE
Software: OS X 10.9.5
512 SSD

I used for my Video external drive: Firewire to Thunderbolt Western Digital 2TB Studio Pro.

I used Serato Dj version 1.7.1 with Serato Video. My video Buffer Size is 1TB
and my audio Buffer size is 10ms.

Ok when I play my video from my external drive.. sometimes it goes well than I have major audio dropouts from my videos. Not always the same videos.. one night it's fine and next night I have dropouts.

It happens when I used my DDJ-SZ or different clubs with Pionner hardware with my SL4 box.. I even plug the power supply.

It's it bass vibration ? problem with my hard drive? serato video ?

Help please
MassAppeal 2:48 PM - 21 November, 2014
Anyone having this issue with a Windows based system?
DJ Shade Chylde 8:13 PM - 21 November, 2014
I am having problems MassAppeal. Upgraded to the newest version of SDJ two days ago and, when I played a gig last night, songs I had analyzed and I knew worked prior were reported corrupt, or the audio skipped around in a track. The tracks I would load would freeze SDJ visually (music still playing) for about 6-10 seconds per load.
I don't understand why I'm having this issue with an External HD that's only 2/3 full with USB 3.0 and a USB 3.0 input on my lappy. I'll be troubleshooting and working with this until I can eliminate the problem.
I am usind the Pioneer DDJ-SX (1) and an ASUS ROG G750 laptop, on a fully stable/upgraded Windows 7 (x64) O.S..
My laptop is VERY high end and I just can't figure out why this is happening...
I will likely be hovering over the forums for the next few days. They need a dedicated PC thread because there's too much Mac related discussion for a person to genuinely find anything so pinpoint-specific with a PC.
Cheers.
DJ Shade Chylde 8:17 PM - 21 November, 2014
***Also, on a side note, some analyzed tracks showed up un-analyzed and had to be "temp-Analyzed on the spot. I'm dealing with a library of around 16.5k songs as my master library.
I am going to streamline my system, copy files over to the laptop, clean my library, fix my registry, and apply the standards for my system as Serato/Pioneer dictates.
I'll let you know what happens after I finish all of that.
5ak 1:16 AM - 23 November, 2014
Guys good luck. I sold my DDJ SX today. I dont have any patience anymore. Im back to cdj's. USB/Rekordbox, back up CD's, and im secured.
dj_huggies@hotmail.com 6:19 PM - 23 November, 2014
well it happens on cdj-900 too...
I think problem is coming from external harDrive with bass vibrations or too loud monitors... maybe. Cuz i put mine on a cushion and it was fine..
Dave'allgood'H 12:43 AM - 24 November, 2014
Thought I would check in on this thread and see what's new. surprise surprise, Nothing!
El Taino 2:14 PM - 24 November, 2014
Hear I thought this was my computer messing up due to the fact its older MBP from 2011. I am having the same audio dropouts. Sometimes none to 4-5 a gig. I never redline my music (Clip) and have more then enough room in my MBP. It happens so quick sometimes people don't notice but I do and it pisses me off. I have updated my MIDI driver for the NS6 and have the most current Serato. Still no luck. It does not happen with Virtual DJ. I have played with Buffer speed and use no effects and it still occurs.

I am out of Ideas.
MassAppeal 4:47 PM - 24 November, 2014
I was playing around this weekend and didn't have any drops (played for about 30 minutes). I did though, have CONSISTENT drops when changing the buffer for 2ms to 1ms. Looked like a Christmas light. I am back on Mountain Lion and at the 1.7.1 release. I highly doubt I will change either of these since I have a working solution.

Serato; I can't believe you have left this out this long with NO reply. Shame on you as a company.
5ak 8:31 PM - 24 November, 2014
Quote:

Serato; I can't believe you have left this out this long with NO reply. Shame on you as a company.

WORD!!!
dj_huggies@hotmail.com 10:11 PM - 24 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah seriously.. we work with your product.. paid for it.. and it doesn't work properly.

fix that now
popnwave 12:50 AM - 25 November, 2014
Any of you try the newest beta?
MassAppeal 1:51 AM - 25 November, 2014
Popnwave

No, I have not and someone at Serato suggested that on their Facebook page...I'm VERY hesitant as right now as I have (I believe) a stable system. I asked them if this is one of the issues that was addressed...as this is a BIG issue and there was no word on that.
Gu3d3s 1:15 AM - 26 November, 2014
Hi guys

Are you read this? support.serato.com
MassAppeal 3:49 AM - 26 November, 2014
Quote:
Hi guys

Are you read this? support.serato.com

You rock homie!!!!
jocco 2:57 PM - 5 December, 2014
Couldn't wait for the new stable release of 1.7.2 so i tried beta version yesterday night. Played 4 hours out on a club without any drops. Thought you all should know :D
mezee 8:12 PM - 5 December, 2014
Thanks Jocco. May i ask what OS your running?
jocco 1:15 AM - 6 December, 2014
Running Yosemite ;)
mezee 6:54 PM - 7 December, 2014
Same as . Sound like its time to down load the beta version
DJ Frustro 5:33 AM - 8 December, 2014
I already started another thread on regular Serato DJ section but basically message was this:

Used 1.7.2.5575 beta for 4.5 hour gig last night, no drops, no issues - flawless.
DjProf75 7:49 AM - 14 December, 2014
I have two DDJ-SZ's and two high end macbook pro's and I have downloaded the newest software from Serato.

I had the intermittent visual and audio flub tonight as I have had almost everynight for a while. I'm barely even mixing when it happens sometimes.
Manny C dot com 12:07 AM - 17 December, 2014
+1
YAUZA 10:09 AM - 22 December, 2014
Today l purchased the SX2 and have been having the same dropout and slicer problems.
l changed the USB cable it came with, for the one l was using with my SL3....and it seems to have fixed the problem. Try it guys.
DJred24 10:19 PM - 27 December, 2014
I have DDJ-S1 I just got Tuesday. I tried DJ it was good no drop outs etc. Well then I'm hosting online ect. Yeah screw that buddy, keep your bloatware.. I'll stick with ITCH.
DJ Lady L 4:05 PM - 2 January, 2015
Hi, I used to have an old macbook pro 2010 a few months ago and i had to sell it and buy a brand new 2014 i7 mac and i am running Yosemite. I have a DDJ-SX running serato DJ.
With my old mac i had a lot of drop outs and this was a big problem as i am a resident dj and have regular bookings and it was affecting my performance. I looked into it in more detail and made sure i had no corrupt files etc. Since upgrading to all the latest versions and buying a new mac that is a high spec, I'm still getting the dropouts. its as if serato dj can't handle too much information i.e 2 tracks playing and then pressing a cue point or sampler. This is a big problem because you have all these functions on there to be optimised and used i.e 4 tracks at once etc but I'm regularly having the same problem and its seems as though its the program. and if this is the case 'SERATO' then its a rip off and I'm sure you can fix this if a lot of people are having the same problems and trying all the possible options to eliminate any problems. Its not like your products and add on features are cheap.
I also still have my sl3 Rane box (Scratch live) and as someone mentioned in this discussion i also NEVER experienced this problem ever.

Can this please be sorted because its also effecting performance whilst recording mixes and upon playback the dropouts are heard.
DJ Lady L 4:09 PM - 2 January, 2015
If all problems are eliminated can serato support please find the issue and rectify it as soon as possible please whether its the DDJ products or the programme itself. This is an ongoing problem and i have also watched the vids in the best optimisation for your performance however it doesn't seem to work.
Dj Junior Tec 2:02 AM - 3 January, 2015
I am having same issue, Not cool. Someone Help !!!!!
DJ Frustro 6:44 PM - 8 January, 2015
DJ Lady L - you didn't specify what release of Serato DJ. Latest version (1.7.2) has not been problematic for me and I have a similar setup. I have an SX2 but same laptop as you.

Few things to try I learned from reading this forum:
1. When SX connected to your laptop and with Serato DJ open, go to Setup and go to audio tab. Move the slider from current location all way to right. Click Apply. Move the slider again all the way over to the left or to 1ms or 2ms and again click APPLY. Play for a few hours and see if the audio dropouts vanish.
2. I've read some users have had to replace their USB cables that came with their Pioneer Product. You might try that. Of course, I would suggest you try this only after you tried above first and played, because we want to eliminate only one variable at a time from the problem.
3. Updated the firmware on your SX? Are your running latest firmware from Pioneer on your SX? If not pioneerdj.com and see if you have to update your firmware. Again, test after you make this change to see if that was the issue.

Please reply back with your results, I'm curious to see what happened.
Serato, Support
Ian W 3:12 AM - 9 January, 2015
Hi DJ Lady L,

Quote:
Hi, I used to have an old macbook pro 2010 a few months ago and i had to sell it and buy a brand new 2014 i7 mac and i am running Yosemite. I have a DDJ-SX running serato DJ.
With my old mac i had a lot of drop outs and this was a big problem as i am a resident dj and have regular bookings and it was affecting my performance. I looked into it in more detail and made sure i had no corrupt files etc. Since upgrading to all the latest versions and buying a new mac that is a high spec, I'm still getting the dropouts. its as if serato dj can't handle too much information i.e 2 tracks playing and then pressing a cue point or sampler. This is a big problem because you have all these functions on there to be optimised and used i.e 4 tracks at once etc but I'm regularly having the same problem and its seems as though its the program. and if this is the case 'SERATO' then its a rip off and I'm sure you can fix this if a lot of people are having the same problems and trying all the possible options to eliminate any problems. Its not like your products and add on features are cheap.
I also still have my sl3 Rane box (Scratch live) and as someone mentioned in this discussion i also NEVER experienced this problem ever.

Can this please be sorted because its also effecting performance whilst recording mixes and upon playback the dropouts are heard.

Could we get you to please log a request with your issues over here:

support.serato.com

Someone from the support team will look into this further for you,

Regards,

Ian
Mark Rambo 5:39 AM - 20 January, 2015
I dont want to jinx myself here, but I would like to just drop(out) my 2 cents in on this 1-2 sec audio dropout issue. I also started having this issue sometime middle- late summer after one of the updates and it was torture because it would happen 1-3 times a night probably 4 out of 5 gigs. Now keep in mind run 2012 mbp non retina 2.6 16gig 512ssd main bay 1tb optibay. No external drives. zero corrupt files and most of the drops were on versions of songs or videos that have been part of my sets for years. i started zooming all the way out on my wave view and could see the break in the audio and know where the drop was gonna be so I would just echo over the drop to cover it up. Over christmas break I upgraded and swapped out both hard drives and for the hell of it replaced the RAM and then did a PRAM reset. Now so far so good, zero drops over the last 6 gigs. I have no idea if this helps in anyway at all but figured I would share
Dizzle the Dj 5:46 PM - 25 January, 2015
I am having similar dropout issues.

My specs:
MacBook Pro (Late 2011)
OSX 10.10.1 - Installed on SSD
2.2GHz i7
16GB 1333MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512MB
Serato 1.7.2 (Music Library is stored on secondary, internal mechanical HD)
Buffer set to 5ms (I also use a separate account that doesn't launch any 3rd party software like dropbox or Adobe updater and bluetooth and WiFi are turned off)

Pioneer DDJ-SX2 (Firmware updated about a week ago)

I experience roughly one dropout per set. The audio output hangs for 1-5 seconds. Sometimes it appears to be related to adjusting parameters on the controller. e.g. while performing a mix and adjusting a line fader, the DDJ-SX appears to not be connected or the application hangs briefly and audio output stops. Not sure if this helps, but I'm usually recording when the drop outs occur and the glitch usually happens around the 1hr mark.

2 Nights ago, the hang actually lead to my computer going to sleep/logging out on its own.
matte1972 2:12 AM - 26 January, 2015
Same issue.

Have ticket open currently (well, 3rd or 4th ticket).

MBP Mid 2012. 8Gb Ram. 500gb HDD. i5.

Random audio dropout. Not certain its the controller as when it happens I can fade out the cutting deck and come in with the other deck, most of the time. Happens 1-5 times per set.

On random tracks. That i've played plenty of times, and plenty of times since. Completely and utterly random.

Happens on Pioneer DDJ SX2 and a DDJ Wego.
Alex Kyalo 2:07 PM - 26 January, 2015
Hi Guys, i have problem with my cross fader volume for DDj-SX. When I place it in the middle, the volume goes down but when I push it to one side, the volume goes up. what could be the problem?? I'm I missing something on the settings or what?

Dj Challoh
Dizzle the Dj 2:25 PM - 26 January, 2015
Quote:
Hi Guys, i have problem with my cross fader volume for DDj-SX. When I place it in the middle, the volume goes down but when I push it to one side, the volume goes up. what could be the problem?? I'm I missing something on the settings or what?

Dj Challoh

Not exactly related to the OP, but your problem is an easy fix, just adjust the cross fader curve so that there's less of a volume dip in the middle
Limin Li 3:41 PM - 1 February, 2015
It happened on my end when I move the buffer size to the right. I am using sdj v1.7.3 with 1.0.5 pioneer firmware. 10.10.3 os. I am also using two ssd internal hard drive. Help!
Limin Li 3:43 PM - 1 February, 2015
My original support ticket number is 1725850
DeeJay Staas 9:20 AM - 7 February, 2015
DDJ-SZ, have this issue too ! anyone have an answer ?

My original support ticket number is : 67867
DeeJay Staas 7:18 PM - 11 February, 2015
2 nights without bugs, hope to find a bug ...
Dizzle the Dj 7:37 PM - 11 February, 2015
Yea, it's strange I played a 5hr gig Sat night with no drop outs. Usually I have the dropout issue while WiFi is on and I'm recording in Serato Dj
DeeJay Staas 7:51 PM - 11 February, 2015
once i get this dropout when my Wifi is Off, very strange, don't getting this before about more than a year !
DeeJay Staas 11:50 PM - 16 February, 2015
any news ? who bypass this bug ?
Bruno Ribeiro 2:06 PM - 27 February, 2015
hello,
I have a sx2 with updated firmware.
this happening to me the following:
when I'm tocanco with the deck 1 and deck 2.
al the deck 2 to leave audio on the boxes but keep getting sound from headphones.
al put the sound on deck 4 and the sound came out normal in boxes.
after a while stopped going out sound on deck 1, I started to use the deck 3.
after a while stopped going out sound on the deck 4.
then had to hang up and call the parent and all returned to work.
after a while the same.
always had sound in the headphones.
Anyone know what can it be?
Bruno Ribeiro 2:10 PM - 27 February, 2015
Macbook pro
processador 2,5 GHz intel core i5
memoria 8 GB 1600 MHZ ddr 3
OS x 10.9.5
Dizzle the Dj 2:14 PM - 27 February, 2015
I think it might have something to do with the controller trying to protect itself from static charge surges...The last couple weeks I've seen success with making sure to discharge myself by touching something metal before I touch the controller.
DJMarkJ 10:26 AM - 3 March, 2015
My turn now! Like many of you other guys. I'm using a i7 MacBook pro running OS X 10.9.2
8gb 1600 MHz ddr3.

I'm using serato dj and have turned off wifi, blue tooth no corrupt files. I have 283 gb space left and yes I'm getting audio loss now and then for like half a second. It can happen to tracks that play regularly without any problems and then all of sudden happens.

I'm using serato dj 1.6.0 with a ddj sx.

I seriously do think that serato do not understand how much stress s causes us all when this happens.

Anyone else semed to have fixed this issue?
popnwave 1:31 PM - 3 March, 2015
Quote:
My turn now! Like many of you other guys. I'm using a i7 MacBook pro running OS X 10.9.2
8gb 1600 MHz ddr3.

I'm using serato dj and have turned off wifi, blue tooth no corrupt files. I have 283 gb space left and yes I'm getting audio loss now and then for like half a second. It can happen to tracks that play regularly without any problems and then all of sudden happens.

I'm using serato dj 1.6.0 with a ddj sx.

I seriously do think that serato do not understand how much stress s causes us all when this happens.

Anyone else semed to have fixed this issue?

You should really be running 1.7.x, and in OS X there's no reason not to have both your current version installed (if you're scared) and the most recent. 1.7.x has a ton of bug fixes that might relieve some of that stress you are having, you have plenty of horsepower otherwise.
DJMarkJ 1:42 PM - 3 March, 2015
I have been on the phone to pioneer UK this morning. I have discovered that the firmware on my sx was 1.5 yet the latest is 1.7. I am going to try that first and see how i get on.
popnwave 2:42 PM - 3 March, 2015
Hmm. I think you mean 1.07 is the newest SX firmware (I use one too).. I also suggest trying the newer versions of Serato DJ as well.

I will say I had a BIG problem trying to update my SX firmware on my MacBook. I had to eventually do it connected to my server PC and do it in windows. So if you have problems try that.
FloridaDj 6:24 AM - 26 March, 2015
Having the same issue, with the DDJ sx and the SL3 box.
When I run scratch live I have no issues at all.
With serato dj I keep getting the little red light at the top right..

Its the program for sure!

MacPro 2.4 intel core i5
16 Gb ram
2:00 AM, 22 Apr 2015
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.