Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Very large lag / delay in tracking signal after random skipping or dropout

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Rane SL2
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
DJ Quality Control 1:52 AM - 15 March, 2014
Equipment Specs / Setup:
-Macbook Pro 5,1 (8GB Ram)
-Rane SL2 connected directly to MBP
-2x CDJ800s -> SL2 using timecode CDs (Originals)
-Serato DJ 1.6.0 with a 10ms USB buffer
-Video SL outputting on med quality with around a 512mb buffer

Problem:
I am having a random issue where at some point in my set the audio output will skip as if the timecode control CD is scratched (They are brand new), then after this skip there is a MASSIVE delay between the control CD signal and the feedback within serato. i.e When starting a stopped deck by pressing play on the CDJ, it takes about a full second or more to begin playing in serato. This is the same for scratching etc, and affects both decks. The control lag continues like this until serato is restarted (i.e the rest of the set).

The issue has occurred 3 times over the past month, on random occasions playing different sets (doubt its caused by a particular file). I have also had numerous 1sec audio dropouts on different nights but only once for each set...

The rane SL2 is only about a month old and was purchased new to replace my SL1 using scratch live (which had no issues using the same setup and a lower USB latency).

I suspect I may be pushing an old MBP too hard using serato DJ, however any input in fixing this issue would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Wez.
DJ Quality Control 1:56 AM - 15 March, 2014
Forgot to mention: Also have dicers connected via the second USB port, and the crossfaders midi input from a DJM700 via USB plugged into a expresscard34 USB card.
4:03 AM, 15 Mar 2014
DJ Quality Control attached a file: DropoutCount.log
Download· Permalink
DJ Quality Control 4:10 AM - 15 March, 2014
Just checked the dropout log file, most nights none, some nights 2 or 3, and a couple of nights there is >10...
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:54 PM - 17 March, 2014
Hey Quality,

Quote:
I am having a random issue where at some point in my set the audio output will skip as if the timecode control CD is scratched (They are brand new), then after this skip there is a MASSIVE delay between the control CD signal and the feedback within serato. i.e When starting a stopped deck by pressing play on the CDJ, it takes about a full second or more to begin playing in serato. This is the same for scratching etc, and affects both decks. The control lag continues like this until serato is restarted (i.e the rest of the set).

I think you are running into a bug. This has been reported by many.
A workaround is to adjust the USB Audio Buffer once this occurs and press 'apply'.
DJ Quality Control 8:42 PM - 17 March, 2014
OK. Any timeframe on when the update will arrive that addresses the issue? Think I might jump back to scratch live until it has been fixed as adjusting the buffer mid set usually creates a noticeable audio dropout.

Thanks
Wez.
Rane, Support
Zach S 9:55 PM - 17 March, 2014
I am not sure. I know the next release is due out soon. I don't believe it will be in that release though:( Yes.. I would go back to SSL for now.
DJ Quality Control 11:07 PM - 17 March, 2014
Ok, thanks for your help.
DJ Quality Control 11:20 AM - 30 April, 2014
Just wondering if the issue above has been addressed in version 1.6.2?
Rane, Support
Zach S 3:31 PM - 30 April, 2014
Unfortunately no:(
DJ Quality Control 1:00 AM - 1 May, 2014
Ok, Ill keep waiting. Thanks for the reply.
L2daGee 4:39 PM - 18 May, 2014
Decided to give SDJ a go at a gig. Big mistake. Same thing happened to me last night. I heard a skip and then a 1-2 second lag in tracking happened making it impossible to mix or scratch. Had to fade out all music then quit SDJ. Opened SL and performed flawlessly the rest if the night. SDJ is being shelved. It's not reliable for gig time yet.

Rane SL2
TTM 56
2011 MBP 15" 8GB RAM, 1 GB Video Card
Denon HC1000
Technics 1200s MK5
750 GB FireWire 800 external HDD
BleedR 4:19 AM - 1 June, 2014
I can confirm the issue with 1.6.3
Haven't had it on 1.6.2
3 gigs, 2 with Rane 61, and on one with the Rane 61 it occurred.
First there is an enormous delay in moving the platter, about 1 second till it responds. Resetting the USB fixed this issue, but it became jumpy, like the original post, this didn't go away! Please fix it!!!
DJ Blvd 12:54 AM - 29 June, 2014
I have the same issue in 1.6.3 as well

Upset that it is occurring, but glad to see that it's not just me.

Will be using SSL for now, but looking forward to SDJ if and when bug issue is resolved.
glenn-d 5:12 PM - 4 August, 2014
yes i have had the exact same problem the last month or so with 1.6.3

sometimes it happens other times can go the whole night with no issues

i normally go to cds then quit and restart serato tho this isn't ideal at all

anyone know if adjusting the buffer after this happens actually then fixes the problem - so that i don't have to actually quit and re start serato as i am currently doing?
thorissr 8:28 PM - 4 August, 2014
I was experiencing the same thing on .63 and ended up going back to .61 and have yet to experience it again since downgrading.
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:32 PM - 5 August, 2014
Glenn... yes.. moving the buffer will fix this without having to restart the program.
BleedR 10:40 AM - 7 August, 2014
Zach, is the issue fixed in the 1.70 Beta?
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:45 PM - 7 August, 2014
I don't see anything mentioned in the release notes but I will verify with Serato. Hold tight.
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:51 PM - 7 August, 2014
Tentatively.. I think our engineers were able to tweak the firmware so that this doesn't occur with Rane hardware when using 1.7. I can't say the same about non Rane hardware though.
RAYMIXX 9:00 PM - 7 August, 2014
Problem is still present on 1.7.0 Beta on OSX Maverick

Happen to me right after I downloaded 1.7.0
Rane, Support
Zach S 9:02 PM - 7 August, 2014
Did you update the firmware on your Rane gear after updating?
RAYMIXX 9:06 PM - 7 August, 2014
Hey Zach,

I am using an SL-2 and there was only a driver update for it which I did but no firmware updated for it.
Rane, Support
Zach S 9:31 PM - 7 August, 2014
Hm.. ok.. well there is new firmware for the SL2 but they may have not been added to the 1.7 beta yet. I'll check up on that.
Rane, Support
Zach S 9:47 PM - 7 August, 2014
I take that back... there were new drivers for all the devices but only the 64 got a new firmware update.

This latency bug is within OSX apparently and it doesn't look like its been addressed in 1.7 but I will double
check with Serato right now.
RAYMIXX 9:53 PM - 7 August, 2014
Yeah Zach, I have only started experiencing this issue ever since I updated to Maverick, I never had this problem on Snow Leopard.
BleedR 3:39 PM - 13 August, 2014
Zach what's the outcome?

Btw what means the bug is within OSX? If so, every user of Mavericks would have that bug, right? I mean Mac users have mostly the same hardware and setup, not like Windows PCs.

I would love to see this fixed, else I'm forced to use 1.6.2, as this is not an option to play with the USB buffer (which generates silence for a moment) while DJing
Rane, Support
Zach S 3:55 PM - 13 August, 2014
Quote:
I would love to see this fixed, else I'm forced to use 1.6.2, as this is not an option to play with the USB buffer (which generates silence for a moment) while DJing

This bug is in any version of SDJ and has yet to be fixed.
BleedR 7:16 AM - 14 August, 2014
For me it's happening in 1.6.3
I played about 30 gigs with 1.6.2 and Rane 61 - not a single issue.
I played 2 gigs with 1.6.3 and Rane 61 - it occurred once.
Just an incident?
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:00 PM - 14 August, 2014
I'm not sure why your case would be any different but we've been getting reports of this problem since 1.6 came out.
BleedR 11:21 AM - 16 August, 2014
Ok, last night I got the issue again with 1.6.2 and SL4. So it was all a coincidence before that.
I don't know if it helps, but I noticed that this only happens when the signal of one or both turntables is nearly completely red, all three times I had a bad signal - which may be caused by SDJ, Mavericks or the TT, but I have always the same setup and usually they are not completely red! This could be the cause or the product of the issue, I don't know.
Lide 10:36 AM - 30 August, 2014
Hi,

same problem here on osx mavericks and sl4 on sdj 1.6.3. This was the first time i used sdj in the club and after 5 hours playing flawlessly the time lag came up. Didn´t try the workaround by changing the usb buffer because i didn´t know about.
I´m very dissappointed. Never had any issues on ssl since i used it.

A Bugfix on this would be very appreciated!
Marqs 9:14 PM - 2 September, 2014
There's a workaround to the issue mentioned, I think.

I would suggest you to pre-apply the "audio buffer fix" before starting your gig. Meaning: after you load up SDJ, move the audio buffer slider to the left or right and set it back where it was, then click apply. All this before starting to play. It seems to cure the problem for some of us and dropout+lag doesn't happen later in the set.

We've discussed it also here: serato.com

Hope this helps.
nikodb 3:27 PM - 7 September, 2014
Hey guys,

Using a Rane SL4 and latest mavericks update...Noticed similar erratic behaviour while running 1.7 and previous versions on vinyl with both CV2.0 and CV2.5 vinyl timecodes....Sometimes problem is indicated by abnormal latency and sometimes distorted sound as if the needles were bad on a very dusty record ..sometimes both...Switching to SL immediately takes away all sort of issues :)

Will check the workaround...for the time being SDJ seems unable for pro use on time codes,,,Happy that this is addressed already...Please correct me so to open a new thread if you believe that this is a different bug...description here sure matched my issues as well..

Cheers
Nik
Anthony C. 4:15 AM - 15 September, 2014
There are a lot of us who are experiencing this, happened to me last night while I was djing a wedding. Everything was working fine and then it started doing this delay crap...also last weekend as well not good.

So the issue can be fixed by adjusting the Buffer fix?
Rane, Support
Zach S 7:45 PM - 15 September, 2014
Quote:

So the issue can be fixed by adjusting the Buffer fix?

Yes. Its recommended to do this before starting your gig. Most that are aren't suffering from this happening during their gig.
Anthony C. 3:07 AM - 17 September, 2014
What is the recommended Buffer Fix Latency size? from the 1-20
Anthony C. 3:09 AM - 17 September, 2014
I'm running a MacBook Pro OS X 10.9.4 Intel Core i5
RAYMIXX 3:12 AM - 17 September, 2014
@Anthony C.

Read this article, it should answer your question...

support.serato.com
nikodb 11:41 AM - 17 September, 2014
Quote:
What is the recommended Buffer Fix Latency size? from the 1-20

Buffer setting is as to what your computer can handle and what you are accustomed with....They basically say just to shift and apply the setting to any value...this action it self will do the trick, not a certain number you d have to select.

Cheers
Nik
Anthony C. 3:27 AM - 18 September, 2014
Thanks Guys! @nikodb @RAYMIXX @Zack S
DJ MarvL 6:26 PM - 18 September, 2014
This bug is still present in 1.7 final with my 2011 13" Macbook Pro and Rane 62. I'm going to try that audio buffer quick fix before i start my set tonight.
Dusti Finga 9:29 AM - 21 September, 2014
"This is a known issue that is evident in Serato DJ, but not caused by it. The issue lies in between the driver and the OS and there is nothing we can do with the software to fix it. We are however working closely with our hardware partners to help resolve this as fast as possible for a future update."

So, Is SL using a different driver than SDJ? Because I don't have this problem with SL and the driver updated when I first downloaded SDJ.
DJ MarvL 2:03 PM - 21 September, 2014
So the band aid fix of resetting the audio buffer before I start didn't work when I tried it multiple times on my 62 and I also got a drop out for the first time when I was using my reloop terminal mix 8 last night...
nikodb 2:56 PM - 21 September, 2014
Quote:
"So, Is SL using a different driver than SDJ? Because I don't have this problem with SL and the driver updated when I first downloaded SDJ.

Yes SDJ and SSL are using a different driver...thats why SSL is not affected..iif you noticed upon SDJ install you install the new Rane driver as well...SSL driver though still remains there for its purpose of running SSL...

Cheer
Nik
Dusti Finga 7:28 AM - 24 September, 2014
Thanks for the reply Nik.
DJ Quality Control 5:58 AM - 11 October, 2014
Would be great if we could get the serato team to have a serious look at this issue, been working on SSL for ages now waiting on a fix...
nikodb 10:39 AM - 11 October, 2014
Quote:
Would be great if we could get the serato team to have a serious look at this issue, been working on SSL for ages now waiting on a fix...

Not to say that its a good thing or something....but....if you apply the buffer workaround reset....it seems to be working with no issues.
DJ Blvd 12:18 PM - 21 October, 2014
If you do find yourself needing to apply the buffer workaround during a gig, I would suggest (if you have a mixer with built-in effects) using a filter and echo immediately prior to changing the buffer setting while the track is playing to mask any USB dropout that might occur during the set. Or if you have an emcee or are good on the mic, cut the music and make an announcement as you are changing the setting and have a good banger ready to go when you're done making the announcement.
nikodb 1:23 PM - 21 October, 2014
Quote:
If you do find yourself needing to apply the buffer workaround during a gig, I would suggest (if you have a mixer with built-in effects) using a filter and echo immediately ...... good banger ready to go when you're done making the announcement.

+1

Also if you apply it at the beginning of your gig...actually that's all you ll need to do.
dj-freestyle 2:48 PM - 21 October, 2014
The new beta has a fix i think for slow drag for scratching
BleedR 10:05 AM - 25 October, 2014
Can confirm the issue with Yosemite too :( Damn guys we are using a professional software and for months it isn't fixed... what's wrong?
citi 7:29 AM - 27 October, 2014
At least I know there's a problem now and the workaround. I had it happen to me at a gig today. Strange thing is, I used it for 5 hours on a private net yesterday, no issue. I run it at a 3 hour house party today, glitches 3 times. It seems completely random.
DJ Quality Control 1:21 PM - 3 November, 2014
Quote:
If you do find yourself needing to apply the buffer workaround during a gig, I would suggest (if you have a mixer with built-in effects) using a filter and echo immediately prior to changing the buffer setting while the track is playing to mask any USB dropout that might occur during the set. Or if you have an emcee or are good on the mic, cut the music and make an announcement as you are changing the setting and have a good banger ready to go when you're done making the announcement.

Smart thinking bro, good tip :)
j cue 12:37 PM - 7 November, 2014
wow.. my first time seeing this thread! i thought i was just me!! haha im glad im not alone!
djmixology 3:26 PM - 29 November, 2014
So glad I saw this thread. This just happened to me last night, and it messed up my whole set. Ended up having to play Internal the rest of the night. I almost had a heart attack - thought something was wrong with my mixer, or laptop, or turntables, etc.

Just for the record, I'm using a Macbook Pro, 62 mixer, and SDJ 1.7.1 - hoping this gets fixed soon.
THE-A-BOMB 3:26 AM - 9 December, 2014
1.7.2 claims to have fixed this annoying bug.
DJ Anti Hero 5:44 AM - 9 December, 2014
Indeed. Fingers crossed!!!
DJ Quality Control 5:56 AM - 6 January, 2015
Can anyone confirm if this has been fixed in 1.7.2? If so Ill jump back on Serato DJ!
DJ Anti Hero 11:22 AM - 6 January, 2015
Just glitched out on me with the lag last week on 1.7.2... Had to do the buffer reset to gain control without lag...
DJ PAYCE 5:46 PM - 2 February, 2015
1.7.3 claims to have fixed this. It is NOT fixed. Happened to me last night.

Unacceptable.
DJ Blvd 9:57 AM - 3 February, 2015
@DJ PAYCE Have you requested help from a tech yet?
Jeremy D 7:59 PM - 6 February, 2015
I don't think a help request is needed - its the same old problem everyone had been reporting. I've had some rare down time this past week and finally decided to try my Rane 62 with Serato DJ 1.7.3 (been on SSL 2.5 with DVS as all these reports had me scared to even attempt to make the move to SDJ).

And yes, I just ran into the same old dropout-followed-by-tracking-issue problem. This is on 1.7.3 with OSX 10.8.5. The buffer slide fix worked to fix it, but this issue clearly has not been resolved in 1.7.3. This is really sad - I was enjoying the Flip feature a lot and was looking forward to being able to use it live with DVS.

This is pretty disconcerting though - a year into this issue and no resolution. And I am sure Serato has thrown every resource available into fixing this. Makes one think Serato DJ as an all in-one for both MIDI and DVS may never really be realized. SDJ works really well on my Pioneer DDJ SX - I have many hours on it and its been rock solid stable. But hitting this same issue maybe 3 hours into testing SDJ with DVS on a new SDJ version that claimed to have resolved an issue that has been ongoing for over a year shakes my faith in the product.
BleedR 12:19 PM - 7 February, 2015
Quote:
This is pretty disconcerting though - a year into this issue and no resolution. And I am sure Serato has thrown every resource available into fixing this. Makes one think Serato DJ as an all in-one for both MIDI and DVS may never really be realized. SDJ works really well on my Pioneer DDJ SX - I have many hours on it and its been rock solid stable. But hitting this same issue maybe 3 hours into testing SDJ with DVS on a new SDJ version that claimed to have resolved an issue that has been ongoing for over a year shakes my faith in the product.

+1000
Jeremy D 5:03 PM - 7 February, 2015
I tested out 1.7.3 and the Rane 62 again yesterday afternoon just to confirm, and hit the dropout / tracking bug only 45 minutes into testing. So yes, the problem is still there. Keep in mind this is on a laptop running Mountain Lion 10.8.5. Maybe the "workaround" in 1.7.3 is Yosemite specific and 10.10 users will have a better result. I'd be curious to hear if Yosemite users are still seeing the issue. Feedback here would be appreciated!

On a side note, I am more than a bit uncomfortable using (in a paid, professional setting) using any software that has "workarounds" in it rather than actual fixes, so I was probably stupid to even think about attempting to go to SDJ on DVS at the present time. SDJ has some cool, sexy features, but they are mostly bells and whistles. I'd rather have the fubar-proof reliability of SSL than Flips, somewhat gimmicky EFX (they are cool though) and unnecessary sync functions. Maybe SDJ will find its way to that happy place of rock-solid reliability someday, but that seems to be pretty far off on the horizon. Until then I wouldn't advise anyone who makes their living DJing to mess with DVS / SDJ in a live setting. And while I don't think they have the ability to make such statements publicly (as it wouldn't be good for business) I'd venture to guess both the Rane + Serato reps who post in these forums would tell you the same thing in a private setting.
Jeremy D 5:14 PM - 7 February, 2015
Oh, and I forgot to add this - I tried the buffer reset workaround PRIOR to starting my test session yesterday, and still hit the bug. And I can't say this for sure, but in the previous session where I did hit the bug, I think I may have reset the buffer at the start of my session as well. I will say that the first night I tested SDJ with my 62, I got about 4 hours on it with no glitches, and I don't think I messed with the buffer before that session. So maybe what was a "fix" before (ie resetting the buffer PRIOR to starting a set) is now actually causing the issue.

In any case, none of this matters - no one should be using software that behaves like this in a professional setting. Resetting the buffer to fix an issue is a rig - its like buying a new Porsche that you have to start by climbing under the dash and hotwiring it every time you want to take it out for a spin. ;)
DJ SP (UK) 1:21 PM - 8 February, 2015
I encountered this issue when I first tried SDJ 1.6.2 with a Rane 62 and instantly went back to SSL.

Since 1.7.2 (and now 1.7.3) however, I've had zero issues with DVS and SDJ has been solid (on OS X 10.9.5).

I just upgraded to Yosemite and played for six hours last night, again SDJ performed flawlessly.

I have Pitch 'n Time disabled, as well as sync, and I'm using a DDJ-SP1 in addition to a 62.
Jeremy D 6:10 PM - 8 February, 2015
You know, the first night I tested 1.7.3 I had sync off the whole time - since you can use "Flips" without needing to turn it on, I never activated it since I was just playing like I normally would. As I mentioned above, I played for 4 hours with no issue.

HOWEVER, the two following sessions I activated sync a few times so I could build flips (which I did), and edited a few grids as well during my third session. Both times I had the dropout - lag pop back up. The session where I edited the grids was the one where I saw the issue pop back up in less than an hour. Maybe that's part of the issue.

So, maybe something useful for the developers, not sure. And maybe its Mountain Lion. However, I personally can't take chances beta-testing software and when using DVS, I am going back to SSL where I have zero issues. :)

PS - Again SDJ 1.7.3 works great with my DDJ SX - I played a 6 hour event last night, and had no issues. I don't use the DDJ that often, but I have like 100+ hours of event play time on it with no issue. This is purely a DVS gripe I have here...
DJ Anti Hero 10:46 AM - 9 February, 2015
Wow... I was told Mountain Lion didn't have this issue... and have fully been on the fence about wiping my comp, getting rid of Mavericks and finally be free from this issue... guess not... I don't get how it's taken a full year to solve this! Serato keeps saying that it's on Rane and their drivers... but you'd figure somebody somewhere would step up???
BleedR 3:36 PM - 9 February, 2015
I have a very good fix for it!
Don't buy new Serato Hardware and sell the newer ones (you will still get good money, so not really losing anything). Stick to the SL1, use SSL.
This will put an enormous force on Serato and maybe Rane to fix things, else they are losing a lot of money they put in research and in the end they will end up like Vestax, if not able to fix things!
Jeremy D 4:43 PM - 9 February, 2015
Mountain Lion definitely has the issue as well - the laptop I'd been testing on was on OSX 10.8.5. I actually bought it from B&H just before Xmas in 2013 as it was one of the last higher end MBPs they were selling that DIDN'T ship with Mavericks pre-installed (and I didn't want to mess with Mavericks and risk stability issues with a brand new OS).

My laptop has never been upgraded past 10.8.5. So any talk that this issue is limited to OSX 10.9 and above is absolutely untrue. I don't think you've heard much about Mountain Lion since most of the folks here seem to upgrade their OS almost immediately when a new version comes out and all new macs are shipping with Mavericks or Yosemite now.

I'd test it on Lion (I have a couple other backup laptops with 10.7 on them), but I already rolled my firmware on my 62 back to 1.17. After reading about the Scratch Live fader bleed issues with firmware version 2.21 in this forum and hearing first hand feedback on this from one of the DJs who works for me (he brought two Rane 62s back to the the store thinking this fader bleed problem was a hardware issue), I'd suggest anyone who wishes to stick with SSL rolls their firmware back as well to avoid any issues with fader bleed.

Is this annoying - yes it is. But its probably indicative of the way the market is going. I am not sure what the % is now of DVS vs MIDI control systems being sold, but my guess is its very heavily slanted towards MIDI style systems. For every one person like myself who DJs full time and relies on this as my sole source of income, there are probably 100 people who buy these products for fun / entertainment. Most of the folks buying these products will chose to go MIDI (for many reasons, but mainly because these all-in-one units are the easiest way to get into DJing). Therefore, it seems like DVS may easily become the bastard stepchild in this relationship, and what we are seeing here with Serato DJ is perhaps an indication of where this is all going - the software was clearly designed around MIDI based control units and has been adapted (rather unsuccessful thus far) for DVS.

That's OK though - for those that want to keep playing DVS, SSL will be a valid option until all the hardware that supports it fails, and thats a long, long time off on the horizon. Maybe at the end of the day this is (purely unintentionally, but maybe fittingly) Serato's big F-U to all the DVS DJs who were hating on the Sync function and such technological additions to the Serato DJ software. ;)
DJ Blvd 10:40 PM - 21 February, 2015
I haven't had the problem since I've upgraded to Yosemite. I'm running 1.7.2 on a 2011 MBP using a Rane 62. I believe the problem is in the OS. Yosemite is a free upgrade. Maybe you should try that. Also may want to try tweaking your buffer settings.
Jeremy D 6:44 PM - 23 February, 2015
That presents a bit of a quandary for me - since Yosemite isn't supported by SSL (SSL only officially supports operating systems up to 10.9) I am not too keen on taking the plunge to move to Yosemite on either my main or backup laptop. I really don't want to upgrade my OS only to have to downgrade if I end up seeing this issue again.

Can anyone else here confirm that they've used 1.7.2 or 1.7.3 with no issue on Yosemite for at least 10 gigs (and sets at least 2 hours long at those gigs)? This thread has been kind of quiet lately, so I am wondering what the verdict has been from the other folks who'd been experiencing this same issue as well as the Serato folks.

PS - Its not a buffer issue for sure. After the first dropout - lag incident I set it way, way conservative (more so than I'd be comfortable using live) and it still happened.
dj-freestyle 7:27 PM - 24 February, 2015
Ive had no issues and its gone for me and i do 2 to 3 a weekend. Ive been impressed actaully.
BleedR 9:16 AM - 25 February, 2015
With DVS I have used 1.7.3 more then 10 times on Yosemite for at least 5-8h gigs.
Everything worked except two very short, nearly not noticeable dropouts.

For my VCI controller, I'm playing 1h gigs and on every second gig I got a major dropout!
Jeremy D 4:31 AM - 21 March, 2015
Thanks for the heads up! I'd really love to hear from some of the other folks who were experiencing issues before I take the plunge to Yosemite. Anyone else able to weigh in here?

I am kind of in an awkward position - I use Serato DJ with my DDJ-SX on a decently regular basis but am mostly still on Scratch Live. I don't want to go to Yosemite unless I know the SDJ / Rane 62 stability is rock solid, but I also feel stuck on SSL. So I'd love to hear more feedback from 1.7.3 / Yosemite / 62 users.

On a side note, on OSX 10.8.5, SDJ and a DDJ SX, I've never had a single dropout or issue.
breakthru 1:46 AM - 22 April, 2015
I'm experiencing lag( left turntable) after scratching. Serato DJ is freezing up on me at after playing great for about 10 minutes. The track stops(audio stops, and beatgrid freezes on screen), and it just continues to repeat this process. I upgraded this Monday(04/20/2015) from ns7fx( which I never had a problem like so) to rane 62 mixer and 2 technics 1200mk2 tables.
Jeremy D 1:54 AM - 22 April, 2015
Not so sure that's the same issue the rest of us have been having - what folks here have been seeing is basically a very brief dropout followed by the lag (which can be subsequently cured by resetting the buffer).

But the dropouts generally don't keep happening repeatedly - its a one time thing or once every few hours, but I haven't heard anyone hear say the audio repeatedly drops out. So I think you may be seeing a different kind of glitch here.
breakthru 1:59 AM - 22 April, 2015
It starts out playing well( Serato DJ) then about ten minutes in tracks start to glitch( stop/start). Left deck lagging, eventually stops. main problem is the glitches( stop/ starting of tracks).
Jeremy D 2:07 AM - 22 April, 2015
I think that is a different deal - after the dropout, your manipulation of the timecode will be out of time by a good bit with the actual audio (which, of course, is a HUGE issue), but the audio isn't cutting out beyond that.

If your tracks are stuttering (ie starting / stopping) then you are probably looking at a different issue or bug.
Jeremy D 2:09 AM - 22 April, 2015
PS - And as others have said, the lag won't go away on its own...you either have to restart Serato DJ or reset the buffer to resolve it. If you had a timecode lag that resolved itself, pretty sure this is not the same issue.
Jeremy D 2:47 AM - 2 May, 2015
Btw, tested 1.7.5 and Rane 62 and quite sorry to report the dropout / lag issue is still there, and just as prevelent as ever. I tried setting the buffer all the way to the right, and it still happens. Sorry but this isn't fixed - I guarantee I am not the only one seeing this. I am still testing on OSX 10.8.5, but there is no way I switch to Yosemite (and cut off the scratch live option completely) given how this is going.
dj-freestyle 7:37 PM - 4 May, 2015
Do you have pitch n time on ?
Jeremy D 7:45 PM - 4 May, 2015
Negatory on pitch n time - I don't use that.

However, I tried using the Core Audio driver removal app you can get on the Rane site, and removed the 62 drivers entirely. I then removed SDJ and did a fresh 1.7.5 re-install (and reinstalled the driver in the process).

Against my better judgement I tried SDJ live at my gig this past Saturday (it was an Indian event and I'd built "flip" intros for a lot of the Bollywood / Bhangra tracks I tend to play often so I really, really wanted to use SDJ rather than SSL), and surprisingly, I didn't run into any issues in about 3 hours of play time.

I am going to re-test at a corporate event tomorrow - it will be another 3 hour set. Wish me luck. Not sure that this wasn't pure luck, but hopefully the driver re-install could have fixed me up here...I'll know soon enough though and will report back.
dj-freestyle 7:47 PM - 4 May, 2015
I will say its very random who has issues and who doesnt. ive had serato dj from day one with my 62 and tables and my pioneer sz and very little issue. my drops outs stopped a few updates back so its so dam random. very frustrating part of it.
Jeremy D 7:55 PM - 4 May, 2015
Well, that is why my jury is still out here - I've played in my studio for 6 hours with no issue, and other times I hit the issue 10 minutes in. As you said, totally random.

I guess the part that just hangs over all of this is the whole "workaround" solution Serato has implemented here - since the Serato folks have clearly stated the underlying driver compatibility issue isn't resolved, my confidence isn't high in this product right now. I like to fix things completely - in my book, "workarounds" imply some kind of gimpy jerry rig vs a true solution.

I guess its just growing pains, but SSL worked perfect for basically 10 years without ever having these types of driver issues, and this new software has been something of a bad nightmare in comparison. I think we were all spoiled by how rock solid SSL was.
Jeremy D 7:12 AM - 6 May, 2015
The dropout / lag issue hit an hour into my set tonight. FML. :(

It only happened once in a three hour set, but its still happening on 1.7.5. There's no way I am the only one that is hitting this.

For the record, no pitch n time, and I never enabled sync - so none of those factors are playing in.
Serato, Support
Jamie W 11:17 PM - 6 May, 2015
Hey Jeremy D,

Thanks for getting in touch,
Just to clarify, can you let me know the hardware you are using and your computer details please?

Thank You
Jamie
Jeremy D 1:15 AM - 7 May, 2015
Sure

2.4 GHZ Core i7
8gb memory
Intel HD 4000 graphic card 512 mb
OSX 10.8.5

SDJ 1.7.5

No USB devices other than the Rane 62 but external HD via thunderbolt. My whole music collection is on the external drive there is no music whatsoever on the internal drive of my laptop if that matters. For my gigs I only use a single turntable and instant double everything (if that matters). I am using vinyl timecode (if that matters).

Best,

Jeremy
spofftastic 3:06 AM - 7 May, 2015
I too had this problem and just found out about this thread - I submitted a ticket a week ago. Same thing exactly - I use a 61 and 1200's and the left deck dropped out - then lagged considerably. I had to cut that track out and play the right deck. I moved the buffer and went back to the left deck with no problems. This was about 6 hours into the night. I now try to proactively move the buffer a few times a night to offset this.

I did resist some best practices and re forced and analyzed all the tracks and id3 rescans to help. I got rid of some corrupted tracks and it seemed to be a touch better processing wise after that at my next gig.

MBP Early 2013 15" Retina
512 GB SSD
16 gb RAM
2:00 AM, 22 May 2015
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.