Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

RANE 68 & SDJ 1.6.0

Product
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
Ziggenpuss 9:52 AM - 14 March, 2014
Okay, so I'm running a MacBook Pro (mid 2012 Retina). OS X 10.9.2
An external thunderbolt drive with SDJ playing the iTunes Library.
A RANE 68 and SDJ 1.6.0

I know you guys at Serato will tell me to use go back and use SSL, but, the other week
when SDJ was released I did a clean install of my mac and decided to install SDJ 1.6.0
and start fresh as I'd had a crappy time with SSL and the large library on the external drive.

I have used SDJ live now for 6 gigs, here are the bugs, problems I've encountered with the SDJ/68:

• No Flex FX or effects on the mixer work at all.
• Cue buttons are not accurate when placed on the beat, sometimes way off.
• Cue buttons on the mixer do not light up at all or are the assigned to the wrong cue button.
• Audio Dropouts - I've had 2 so far.
• RANE 68 froze, lights, levels etc. had to be restarted - luckily before I'd started the night.
• Scroll has it's moments and sometimes had to resort to drag drop from trackpad.
• MIDI buttons on the 68 can not be assigned.
• Main Volume levels are a lot quieter sometimes.
• iTunes folder opens every folder and have to be closed before starting.

As for SDJ itself please make it Retina and as a wish is it possible for the harsh white writing on the grey background to be reversed if wanted/choice i.e. black text on a lighter background..? I find it quite hard to read song titles with the current white text.

Any other 68 users, please add to the list if I've missed something..

Cheers ;))
Detroitbootybass 6:17 PM - 16 March, 2014
You might want to redirect all of the software related comments/suggestions to Serato (possibly best in the Serato DJ section) as this area is for Rane mixer (hardware).
Ziggenpuss 3:12 PM - 17 March, 2014
okay will do..
5:08 PM, 18 Mar 2014
Discussion moved to Rane Hardware Help
Serato, Support
Sam GG 9:30 PM - 28 March, 2014
Hey ZIggenpuss,

Before we get into this can you please try Serato DJ 1.6.1: serato.com

Let me know if that helps with any of these issues:

Quote:
• Cue buttons on the mixer do not light up at all or are the assigned to the wrong cue button.
• RANE 68 froze, lights, levels etc. had to be restarted - luckily before I'd started the night.
• Scroll has it's moments and sometimes had to resort to drag drop from trackpad.

Sam
Zika 8:21 PM - 29 March, 2014
I have the same problems even with the 1.6.1 version and I also have to add this:

* Pitch unstable ( variation are + - 0.5 ). It constantly goes up and down. Never had this issue using the SL

* Fine pitch adjustments are delayed and not shown on the wave form

* Noticeable delay when used with Serato remote
echiebaum 2:53 PM - 2 April, 2014
Any luck I am experiencing these issues ass well
Ziggenpuss 4:35 PM - 4 April, 2014
Quote:
Hey ZIggenpuss,

Before we get into this can you please try Serato DJ 1.6.1: serato.com

Let me know if that helps with any of these issues:

Quote:

Sam

Sam, I'm afraid it's pretty much the same not had a freeze yet, but..!! So with 7 gigs for me this month I'm thinking it ain't gonna be fun... :((
Serato, Support
Sam GG 3:10 AM - 8 April, 2014
Quote:
No Flex FX or effects on the mixer work at all.

Quote:
Cue buttons are not accurate when placed on the beat, sometimes way off.

Quote:
Cue buttons on the mixer do not light up at all or are the assigned to the wrong cue button.

This works fine for me. Have you tried changing the Quantize settings? Does it always happen after a certain amount of time? With certain decks? With certain tracks?

Are you using the latest firmware for the Rane 68?

Quote:
Audio Dropouts - I've had 2 so far.

What is your USB buffer size in the Rane 68 driver panel? What is it in the software?

Quote:
RANE 68 froze, lights, levels etc. had to be restarted - luckily before I'd started the night.

Was this a 1 off? Or have you been able to recreate it? It sounds to me like a MIDI dropout. Let me know if they keep happening.

Quote:
Scroll has it's moments and sometimes had to resort to drag drop from trackpad.

I haven't been able to recreate this. Does it always happen after a certain amount of time? With certain decks?

Quote:
MIDI buttons on the 68 can not be assigned.

This feature hasn't been added yet but it is something that we are working on.

Quote:
Main Volume levels are a lot quieter sometimes.

Are you using the Auto Gain setting?

Quote:
iTunes folder opens every folder and have to be closed before starting.

This does not affect me after i close the folders in Serato DJ. Are you opening the folders in iTunes again between Serato DJ instances?
Ziggenpuss 9:09 AM - 10 April, 2014
Hi Sam, okay sat here now at home with the 68 plugged in. Firmware v.1.40 SDJ 1.6.1
Played at the weekend over 5hrs, no freezing, no dropouts..

Did have a problem playing though.. the BPM on some tracks kept 'slipping'
All my tracks are Apple Lossless from FLAC or CD.

At home:
•Flex FX MUTES the channel completely.
•Cue buttons are still doing there own thing when they choose...:))
Though they do seem a bit better than before.
•No dropouts yet..
•No freezing yet...
•Scroll seems to work...
•MIDI option needs sorting ASAP.
•Volume seemed/seems okay
•iTunes. Yes I use the white library in SDJ to search for tracks I may not have in SDJ crates, as I have a lot of playlists in iTunes. SDJ opens every playlist - please revert to how it was :((
I'm not using iTunes itself if that's what you mean..??

Gigging this Fri/Sat... not looking forward to using a temperamental mixer...
Ziggenpuss 10:08 AM - 10 April, 2014
update: seems the cue button dilemma is also related to the layer button as it has sometimes triggered it, then it either makes the cue buttons worse or better...
Serato, Support
Sam GG 12:48 AM - 17 April, 2014
Quote:
•Flex FX MUTES the channel completely.

It only does this if you have the EXT. INSERT option enabled. Are you using an External FX unit? Do you have a FX loop connected to the FLEX FX LOOP in/outputs in the back of the Rane 68?

Quote:

I still cannot reproduce this issue here. Its been brought up by a couple other users but I have yet to see a pattern. Does it happen with the same tracks? When switching between MIDI layers? Always after a certain amount of time? If you notice it happening again can you please send me the track that this occurs with?

Quote:

Like I said above, we are working on this :)

Quote:
•iTunes

Regarding this issue. I was finally able to recreate it and have found the original bug report. I have bumped it for you.

Sam
djcrap 7:10 AM - 17 April, 2014
Quote:

I still cannot reproduce this issue here. Its been brought up by a couple other users but I have yet to see a pattern. Does it happen with the same tracks? When switching between MIDI layers? Always after a certain amount of time? If you notice it happening again can you please send me the track that this occurs with?

Quote:

Sam
I have run into this on 68 with couple of files when it happens i will record a video for you and up load the file.

Any way this bug dates back to pre 1.6 serato it was mild but then during 1.6.1 it got worse. On my 68 it always happens on the right side of the mixer first two cue points do not light up on the mixer but they do trigger when pressed. It also some times happens on the left too but not as frequently like on the right. Only work around is to delete and reset the cues that do not light up.

The cue point back light issue on my 68 is the same behavior as it was documented below by Martin regarding the behavior of cues on the denons dn-hc 1000

serato.com
Ziggenpuss 12:43 AM - 23 April, 2014
After 2 gigs just this weekend....

• flex fx..
No it goes OFF mute nothing.. without any ext buttons pressed or any inserts in the back...

• Cue buttons all over the place... still...

• Complete freeze again and shut down and restart 3 times pre-gig before the mixer was recognised as guests are walking in and guy is saying play some background... f**king embarrassing, honestly.

• No Midi at all for a Native Instruments X1 until I did a PRAM restart on the saturday night, however the friday night was fine and had done NOTHING with the mac until the next night.

• Not Happy - as 1.6.2 just deals with reloop stuff from what I see... not a good way to keep custom.
Serato, Support
Sam GG 4:47 AM - 28 April, 2014
Hey Ziggenpuss,

Your Flex FX issue sounds to me like you are not using the Flex FX correctly, it should only cut the audio if you are using an ext. insert incorrectly or you have the FX depth set too high/low depending on the effect chosen. Are you able to give me a step by step on how you are suing the flex FX so we can get it sorted?

Quote:
• Not Happy - as 1.6.2 just deals with reloop stuff from what I see... not a good way to keep custom.

1.6.2 was a small mapping release without much code change so no major bugs or issues were fixed.

Sam
Ziggenpuss 5:48 AM - 28 April, 2014
Hi Sam,

Okay, imagine everything on the 68 nothing is turned down or off, gain on the channel is at say 8, main vol say 10... filter, EQ, everything else set to 12. no inserts just power and xlr out.
Song playing deck A (channel 2)
Press channel 2's Blue Flex FX (Mutes track here - didn't previous)
Then usually I would turn on the green fx ON button choose my effect and add some dry/wet with the grey pot according...

However, in the Headphone cue I have effects as per previous SSL.
Serato, Support
Sam GG 3:39 AM - 30 April, 2014
Hey Ziggenpuss,

I tried the exact same steps that you provided above and I was able to get audio out of the master output the entire time. At no point did the channel mute... unless, I pressed the button above the LCD screen on the Rane 68 labelled "Ext. Insert". Can you please confirm for me that this button is not illuminated?

This is really odd as I am not able to reproduce the issue.
Ziggenpuss 10:38 AM - 30 April, 2014
Hi, no it is not pressed, illuminated, and no loop insert either..
Serato, Support
Sam GG 3:01 AM - 1 May, 2014
Hey Ziggenpuss,

I'm working on getting a short video of me running through this for you. I will PM it to you.

Cheers, Sam
10:10 PM, 10 Jun 2014
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.