Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

4TB Macbook Pro Finally Possible. (And Cheap)

Dokumentary 9:10 AM - 12 March, 2014
So, the mythical www.seagate.com Spinpoint M9T is still not available to consumers. We first heard about this 2.5" (laptop) 2TB HDD in November of last year. It's 9.5mm so it'll be the only 2TB drive that can fit inside a MBP (non-Retina), PS4, or other ultra-portable laptop when it does become available.

Seagate/Samsung decided to only make this drive available to OEM for the time being but then came this... www.amazon.com

The drive inside this little bastard is actually a Spinpoint M9T.
Confirmed here: www.facebook.com
and here: (pics) tinypic.com
tinypic.com

You can't buy the bare drive just yet but you can buy this external, pry open the casing, and rip the bare drive out to install into MBP.

If your MBP already has a OWC Data Doubler eshop.macsales.com or an Optibay, www.mcetech.com you can now theoretically, go from a maximum capacity of 3TB to 4TB by installing 2 of these drives.

Of course we don't know how efficiently a setup like this will work with the Macbook's SATA controller or other hardware/firmware but theoretically it should work fine. I don't have any association with Seagate and I don't know of anyone who has done this yet so I'm not endorsing it. In fact I've actually had a pretty shitty experience with the only Seagate drive I've ever owned but that was a long time ago and I've had WD drives, and most recently a Crucial M4 go bad as well. I just wanted to get the conversation started. Maybe Code:E or DJ Mark or any of the myriad tech guys on here can chime in.

Us video guys are always trying to find a workaround with external drives or other solutions to accommodate our large video libraries. 4TB on board at $240, if stable, might put an end to that conversation at least for a few years.
Nicholy 1:27 PM - 12 March, 2014
Isn't this the drive they are talking about towards the end of this thread:
serato.com

There was some SATA driver issue if I remember correctly, could be wrong..
LJ_WOOLSEY 3:17 PM - 12 March, 2014
yes MacBooks do got support 6gb/s in the cd drive unto 2011 only 2gb/s

as you can see in the thread the drive did not work.
Dokumentary 6:57 PM - 12 March, 2014
Quote:
yes MacBooks do got support 6gb/s in the cd drive unto 2011 only 2gb/s

as you can see in the thread the drive did not work.

Yeah this drive is SATA III 6gb/s so may have issues with some 2011 MBPs. Especially the 13". Some of the 2011 MBPs support SATA III and some only support SATA II. It's kind of a crapshoot and people have had issues with SATA III drives as they're not backwards compatible for some reason in these machines.

When the M9T becomes available to buy as a bare drive, it will come in SATA II version as well. (Supposedly) Whenever that is...
djkurve 7:09 PM - 12 March, 2014
Will this guy work in a 15" 2012 MBP?

www.amazon.com
Code:E 7:20 PM - 12 March, 2014
I'm having tons of issues with my 2011 17" and SATA 2 vs SATA 3. I am about to remove my 1TB HGST drive and reflash the firmware to sata2 drive. hopefully it will work in my opt bay then. I'm having a power draw issue with 2 HDD in my computer. when My computer heats up its unable to charge when both drives are going. Why apple put a 95Watt battery (and draw) into a computer that only comes with a 85Watt charger is beyond me.
Code:E 7:21 PM - 12 March, 2014
I would love to try out on of these samsungs but I'm waiting until i can order the Sata 2 model.
Nicholy 7:39 PM - 12 March, 2014
Quote:
I would love to try out on of these samsungs but I'm waiting until i can order the Sata 2 model.

Their EVO SSD's?
Code:E 7:55 PM - 12 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Their EVO SSD's?

No I dont think they make a SSD that comes in SATA2.... So I'm f'ed there I must put the SSD in my main bay.

But they are making that new samsung 2TB in a Sata1 Sata2 and Sata3 model.
nik39 9:05 AM - 18 March, 2014
Quote:

link?
PorkyG 12:30 PM - 18 March, 2014
I just don't trust Seagate enough to be the guinea pig, it'll have to establish itself first before I purchase any Seagate drive ever again.
djkurve 3:55 PM - 18 March, 2014
Quote:
I just don't trust Seagate enough to be the guinea pig, it'll have to establish itself first before I purchase any Seagate drive ever again.

+100!!!
Code:E 5:53 PM - 18 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

link?

It is in the info card for those drive I have seen posted a bunch of time on this forum...
Code:E 5:54 PM - 18 March, 2014
Quote:
So, the mythical www.seagate.com Spinpoint M9T

Right there 1st line of the 1st post.