Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

anyone tried this patch to increase their library sizes?

radikarl 4:25 PM - 25 February, 2014
www.maketecheasier.com

could work for Windows x64 users?
thoughts?
dj-freestyle 8:11 PM - 25 February, 2014
hopefully serato is figureing a way to do this to help with big librarys.
djmunster 8:33 PM - 25 February, 2014
Idk if it works for large library problem , I have 74,000 songs and I dont have a problem loading my database , but I would have crashing problems when switching effects, when running the patch I dont crash when switching effects
this is a good thing
question thoe do I have to run this every time restart my cpu or is the program forever patched
djmunster 8:38 PM - 25 February, 2014
Furthering testing shows anything I can do that would crash the program wont crash it anymore, I can even turn my ddjsx on and off with no crashes
just goes to show the problem is that its a 32bit program, if it was a 64 bit it would be rock solid
dj-freestyle 9:18 PM - 25 February, 2014
well they say and wrote a blog about how big librabrys have issue for this reason.

dj.rane.com
dj-freestyle 9:19 PM - 25 February, 2014
As library grows so does amount of virtual memory needed.
djmunster 12:55 PM - 26 February, 2014
Thoe how dose it work once its patched do you have to repatch it everytime you open it
djmunster 1:15 PM - 26 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Thoe how dose it work once its patched do you have to repatch it everytime you open it

you patch it once and thats it

Thanks
Daniel Ventura 2:00 PM - 26 February, 2014
thx for this tipp!
LJ_WOOLSEY 2:42 PM - 26 February, 2014
Quote:
www.maketecheasier.com

could work for Windows x64 users?
thoughts?

Just dug my windows laptop out and yes this works! Library from my mac loads up instant in sdj 1.6.0 now!

Infact it runs loads better! Can use the windows as a backup again now!
djmunster 3:02 PM - 26 February, 2014
Maybe this little thread will light the match so serato will get off its ass and make a 64gbs program
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:17 PM - 26 February, 2014
This looks very promising:)
I've sent this to the Serato team to check out:)
dj-freestyle 6:00 PM - 26 February, 2014
@zach, can you help this guy
serato.com
nik39 11:17 PM - 26 February, 2014
*bump
Daniel Ventura 7:59 AM - 27 February, 2014
i wonder why serato dind't impelent this out of the box in their software? it's just a simple flag?
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:58 PM - 27 February, 2014
The official word from Serato on this is try/use at your own risk. It looks like its working but they don't officially endorse it.
hologram 8:00 PM - 27 February, 2014
Quote:
The official word from Serato on this is try/use at your own risk. It looks like its working but they don't officially endorse it.

In other words "We are not going to acknowledge that we got shown up"
Rane, Support
Zach S 8:17 PM - 27 February, 2014
Totally.
Papa Midnight 8:17 PM - 27 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

In other words "We are not going to acknowledge that we got shown up"

Uh, no. You're modifying the parameters of a compiled executable binary outside of what was determined, in house, to be a stable release. Despite the change being a mere setting of a LAA flag, you still risk problems.
Papa Midnight 8:20 PM - 27 February, 2014
Just as a note, I say that because switching that flag as an attempt to fix some games by players who got no support from developers or publishers caused more bugs by switching that flag. Check the TechPowerUp! forums.
hologram 9:28 PM - 27 February, 2014
Quote:
Just as a note, I say that because switching that flag as an attempt to fix some games by players who got no support from developers or publishers caused more bugs by switching that flag. Check the TechPowerUp! forums.

Agreed but I reference the Skyrim patches as successful
Papa Midnight 9:50 PM - 27 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Agreed but I reference the Skyrim patches as successful

It's a Bethesda game. I like the Elder Scrolls and Fallout series myself, but we're talking about games where you HAVE to use console sometimes or you cannot progress due to a bug :P
sasa1981 6:11 AM - 1 March, 2014
I tried this tool and it works on both of my windows laptops.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 11:24 PM - 4 March, 2014
Quote:
go into the "Windows Task Manager" and right click on "Serato DJ *32" and make sure you set Priority on "High"

Yes, this is a good idea for any Windows users when running Serato DJ - not just for analyzing files.

Cheers
murdock1033 8:19 PM - 14 March, 2014
Got the same problem, i reinstalled win7 completely new i din't installed avira again..........and now the 1.6.0 update works perfektly........

10-4
spoof 8:37 PM - 2 April, 2014
working well here for me, come on serato catch up
LJ_WOOLSEY 9:23 PM - 2 April, 2014
Guys there is a BETA version just for the large library issues if you could all try it out and see how it works.... Link serato.com
spoof 7:06 AM - 3 April, 2014
Sorry, not likely to change from a patch that is working to a serato beta that will possibly not properly work and let me down at a gig again
LJ_WOOLSEY 8:39 AM - 3 April, 2014
Lol at people wanting stable software but cant be fucked to help make it stable.
Dj Youkai 10:08 AM - 3 April, 2014
The Patch Work.. I have no crashes.. then there's the CPU usage when I use Serato Video.. Man.. It just hogs it... like into the red.. then my video lags and pauses. It fixes the memory issue, now if there is a patch to fix lower the CPU usage. I know in Virtual DJ you can hack the registry to lower the usage. Wonder if there is a fix for that.
spoof 11:58 AM - 3 April, 2014
Lol at mr woolsey, I think a paid for piece of "pro software" should be working before it's released and not given to working djs as guinea pigs to cock up their night and cost them money.
So do you really think it is acceptable?
A one off mistake maybe but with each release there seems to be more bugs
Wizzu 1:12 PM - 3 April, 2014
Quote:
Lol at mr woolsey, I think a paid for piece of "pro software" should be working before it's released and not given to working djs as guinea pigs to cock up their night and cost them money.
This remark is kinda OK for many SDJ features, but NOT for the large libraries issue, which plagues only very specific people who have unreasonably huge libraries and/or use the Itunes library in Serato.

The Serato software was not meant to accomodate music hoarders, and asking for some user contribution to take the software to the point it will please these extremely demanding DJs, is not unreasonable at all.

Personally I don't even care about these DJs, I have zero problem with my database because I'm neither a compulsive hoarder nor do I demand to have a double sorting system (Itunes + Serato). I'm having a good laugh each time I read comments from these DJs talking about their databases of more than 50'000 songs. Really. This is nonsense. You can trace it down to bragging, compulsive hoarding, or mere foolishness, 99% of the time. And illegal downloading 100% of the time. I could go on for days on the total irrationality of having a library over 20-25k songs. Like if vynil DJs were not professional DJs because they can't carry more than 600-700 songs to a gig?

You can't have your cake and eat it too. Want SDJ to cope with your musical clutter? Give it some help. Don't wanna help? Then just wait for the work to be done and stop whining. In the meanwhile, learn how to reduce the clutter and how to resist compulsive hoarding.
DJStevieRay 1:36 PM - 3 April, 2014
Quote:
I read comments from these DJs talking about their databases of more than 50'000 songs....And illegal downloading 100% of the time

I take issue with your comment. My library is over 50,000 tracks (just about. 60,000 including my music video). I have been DJing since 1988, and I challenge you to come to my home and look through my library and find one song I do not have a receipt for. You can also go through my collection of over 2000 pieces of vinyl, and over 3000 CDs and find one that is not legit. my tax returns show the over $50,000 I have spent on music over the last 25 years. As a mobile DJ doing Weddings, Schools, Teen parties, ethnic groups (Spanish, Vietnamese, Indian/Middle Eastern, Portuguese, etc) as well as English, you have to be ready for just about anything. If you show up at a Wedding and someone asks for a Merengue and all you have is Suavemene,or they ask for Country and all you have is Friends In Low Places, you are not prepared. Don't make blanket statements that large databases are not needed. And especially don't make blanket statements that 100% of these libraries are illegal.
DJStevieRay 1:39 PM - 3 April, 2014
I also want to point out that using PCDJ Red back in 2000-2003 and Virtual DJ since then I have never had a crash because I own to much music. You would be pissed if your car randomly crashed because it had too much gas wouldn't you.
nik39 1:50 PM - 3 April, 2014
Quote:
Lol at people wanting stable software but cant be fucked to help make it stable.

That's a pretty ignorant statement.

There is no agreement, that someone who paid top dollars for a pro product has to spend time on testing *anything*. It should work out of the box. That's what the users can expect.

There is also no note that any of these controller's software (Serato DJ) supports only a limited number of tracks or crates. It's even worse... not too long ago there were statements telling the customers that the software (SL in that case) has no limit on the number of tracks/crates supported.
LJ_WOOLSEY 2:29 PM - 3 April, 2014
Sorry but software becomes more stable with more bugs reported, if you suffer from a bug/issue and want that fixed and you use this for business it should HELP YOU! to try and see if it has been fixed or input any help.

I guess you happy just to stay with buggy software and hope someone fixes it one day.

For all the people moaning about this issue and the beta area is dead! Then when its released again ppl will moan there shit dont work.

Should you have to test and help with software? NO! But if it helps make you money and a clean stable software where then why not?

And is there such a thing as solid 100% bug free software out the box? NO! And if there was ppl would want updates that would then brake shit.

No one is asking you to test or help, but crying like a baby when shit dont work and you could have helped get your issues sorted to me is LOL moment.

Each to there own! Sit and wait or test and help? The choice is yours.

I for one would love to see this bug gone! So any help i can give i am! Which helps everyone out.
Papa Midnight 5:09 PM - 3 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Sorry, not likely to change from a patch that is working to a serato beta that will possibly not properly work and let me down at a gig again

That's a pretty ignorant statement.

There is no agreement, that someone who paid top dollars for a pro product has to spend time on testing *anything*. It should work out of the box. That's what the users can expect.

While I don't disagree with the principle of your statement, it is a short-sighted view to take. First off, the patch in and of itself is not officially supported. If it goes wrong, or utterly causes all things to go to hell (unlikely, by possible), who will he blame then? It's not like he has to use it while gigging. He can install it alongside his current "stable" application, and test the other in his spare time - if that is what he chooses to do.

But at the same time, using ANY software, whether it's an alpha, beta, release candidate, or gold release without properly testing it in a production environment where money is on the line is unwise. Relying on a "patch" that modifies an application beyond the way it was intended by the original manufacturer without any extended testing or official support isn't exactly wise either.

Simply stated, a larger testing pool helps to identify bugs and resolve them before a release is finalised. This exact same mentality is that which many of the ScratchLive "purist" had when Serato DJ first incorporated DVS: they had plenty of opportunities to join the testing phase, but did not, and then they through a hissy-fit that Serato would dare to discontinue support for a 10 year old product. Had they joined the testing pool, they could've helped to identify any issues resolved rather than coming over kicking and screaming, and doing so begrudgingly.

That's just my opinion, however.

Quote:
Quote:
This remark is kinda OK for many SDJ features, but NOT for the large libraries issue, which plagues only very specific people who have unreasonably huge libraries and/or use the Itunes library in Serato.

The Serato software was not meant to accomodate music hoarders, and asking for some user contribution to take the software to the point it will please these extremely demanding DJs, is not unreasonable at all.

Personally I don't even care about these DJs, I have zero problem with my database because I'm neither a compulsive hoarder nor do I demand to have a double sorting system (Itunes + Serato). I'm having a good laugh each time I read comments from these DJs talking about their databases of more than 50'000 songs. Really. This is nonsense. You can trace it down to bragging, compulsive hoarding, or mere foolishness, 99% of the time. And illegal downloading 100% of the time. I could go on for days on the total irrationality of having a library over 20-25k songs. Like if vynil DJs were not professional DJs because they can't carry more than 600-700 songs to a gig?

You can't have your cake and eat it too. Want SDJ to cope with your musical clutter? Give it some help. Don't wanna help? Then just wait for the work to be done and stop whining. In the meanwhile, learn how to reduce the clutter and how to resist compulsive hoarding.

This might rank among some of the single most ignorant things I have ever seen in my time on this forum.

What gives you the right to define our libraries as unreasonably large? Virtual DJ, derided as it is by the masses, takes my library just fine. It also operates on the same flatfile database principle. Traktor doesn't mind it either (though I am not a fan of Traktor). I'll also have you know that I do not use iTunes (and I refuse to do so). I don't like it, and I don't have a need for it.

As for your statement that "the Serato software was not meant to accomodate music hoarders," you'd be inherently incorrect. It is a flaw - a bug. Not a feature. If this wasn't the case, the support for CDs and direct browsing of directories would not be possible.

Then you go on to state that you take humor in the misfortune of others? That's rather distasteful in my opinion. I'm glad that you don't have any problems. Don't rub it in the face of others or insult them for it. Be part of the solution, not part of the problem.

Your statement also shows your ignorance of the issue at hand. At least know the totality of the issue before you make such an asinine statement. Multiple factors contribute to this issue: Directory structure, Number of Crates and/or Sub-Crates, Crate Structure, File Length, Memory Usage, the number of files, and others.

Also, just because you don't see the need for more than an arbitrary number of songs doesn't that there is none. If the rest of us didn't see a need for large libraries, we wouldn't have them. We have, and maintain large libraries for our own reasons. We need not justify them to you.

Finally, your flat accusation that the music must have been illegally obtained is insulting and downright stupid. We're not sitting on The Pirate Bay downloading music, or grabbing barely 96-192 bit AAC VBR videos off of YouTube and transcoding them to 128kbps MP3s. We're grabbing high quality files at cost from quality sources through legal channels. Do you think these record pool subscriptions are cheap? Do you think filling a backlog or category of music for even one genre is cheap? We're not buying Hard Drives off of other DJs on Craigslist for $200. We're building a catalogue here, larger than that of even the largest catalogues of Karaoke DJs who walk around with Books upon Books of CD+G's.

Stop being the problem, and be part of the solution.
nik39 9:36 PM - 3 April, 2014
I don't think it is short sighted. All I am is saying calling out users causes they did not participate in testing due to various reasons (time, understanding, whatever) is totally unacceptable.

It's not their task.

Do I help out testing and spend my very precious and limited time? Yes I do. I am confident that I belong to the top 5 group of people who have reported and posted about found bugs. But do I think this is mandatory? Hell no. I totally understand people habe other things to do. If they wanted to beta test shit they could have bought +insert other DJ software here+ instead. But they decided to pay their hard earned money on Serato's software for a reason.
Serato, Support
Martin C 1:04 AM - 4 April, 2014
Hey guys,

I just want to clarify that we don't expect users effected by this issue to test the beta, but we certainly appreciate it :)

If you are satisfied by continuing to use the patch, thats totally fine.. we are just extending the invitation for you to try it, and help us make the software better.
spoof 6:29 AM - 4 April, 2014
Wow I did start a whole rant on here didn't i.

Ok well thanks to all the obviously pro djs who appreciate that a large library is important to keep our clients happy nowadays, we are not expected to say the words "sorry I don't have that or oh I left that box at home tonight" anymore.
I realise people have different spec computers and size files, but a decent piece or software should take all eventualities into consideration and if there is doubt not release or at least put in the spec notes that our software needs this and that but you must not exceed 15 tracks or it might not work correctly.

Sorry serato but I'm sure you really know it should have been designed for a 64 bit not a 32 when it was released as 64bits were becoming common.
DJ Quartz 6:14 PM - 4 April, 2014
I just think rather everyone criticize all the time, we know what the issue is. There is a couple workarounds, etc.

Let's work together to better the platform because in the end it benefits all of us.
hologram 1:58 AM - 5 April, 2014
1. I will test this because the problem I am having was possible caused by my 80K library according to my support rep at Serato.
2. I use to take 15 crates to do my mobiles. Just because your are too wimpy to make sure you can handle any requested genre with finesse doesn't mean anyone else has to follow your idealistic nirvana or song organization.
3. I have multiple rooms in my house dedicated to vinyl and CD. I have recorded most of them. So yes my digital library is not as big as my real library.
4. I am currently the invited guest of 5 major music & video Pools. I was also in 4 of the founding record pool in Los Angeles. I do my part to review everything that is sent to me or made available to me. I take offense at your accusation that I stole my music.
5. My library was bigger not too long ago and every other DJ program I have all the way back to Carrot worked in excess of 40K files.
6. Serato agrees it's a problem so who are you defending.
7. Since you aren't having the problem why don't you just keep you opinion in your pants.
DJ Quartz 6:38 PM - 5 April, 2014
I was curious, what is the main method everyone is using to add/manage their tracks in their database?
Papa Midnight 11:56 PM - 5 April, 2014
Quote:
I was curious, what is the main method everyone is using to add/manage their tracks in their database?

The Serato application itself. I don't use iTunes, and I never used the program that popped up in the Serato Itch forum a few years back.
DJ Quartz 1:31 AM - 6 April, 2014
I'm using Alchemie Zinc myself for a year or more and it just broke the 90k mark but I'm not having issues just yet.

SSL does take way longer than SDJ to load my collection lately however.
1stClassEvent 1:45 PM - 25 April, 2014
Quote:
Hey guys,

I just want to clarify that we don't expect users effected by this issue to test the beta, but we certainly appreciate it :)

If you are satisfied by continuing to use the patch, thats totally fine.. we are just extending the invitation for you to try it, and help us make the software better.

I'd love to test the beta as to date I have not been able to run serato DJ because of crashes with a large library
Serato, Support
Martin C 2:08 PM - 25 April, 2014
Hey 1stClassEvent,

Click through to this area and you should find the beta: serato.com
1stClassEvent 2:10 PM - 25 April, 2014
Thanks Martin will try
Serato, Support
Martin C 2:13 PM - 25 April, 2014
Great, look forward to seeing you in there :)