DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Rane Sixty-One Effects and Midi Mapping Questions

K-Rize 11:12 PM - 16 April, 2012
I'm considering getting a Rane Sixty-One but I have a few questions about the mixer.

Which knobs are midi-mappable? I'd like to set some knobs on the mixer to be used to control effects parameters in Serato. I just don't know how many knobs are mappable.

Does anyone have a video that demonstrates how they use effects when mixing with the Sixty-One? I can't seem to find one anywhere.

What happens when you hit the Flex FX button below the filter knob? Does that turn on/off the effects for that whole channel?
DJ_X_Trodinaire 12:56 AM - 17 April, 2012
hey there download the manual.

Towards the end there is a midi section

serato.com
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:16 PM - 17 April, 2012
The Sixty One was designed for the user who controls Scratch Live from their own MIDI controller.
Although every knob, button, and slider on the mixer is MIDI mappable there really isn't any extra controls on it to map to Scratch Live. Maybe the mic section if your not using a mic?

With that said... if you want control from the mixer you want the 62.

The Flex FX bus can be used to add internal software effects, or outboard hard ware effects to either PGM 1/2 or the Aux input.
Pressing the FlexFX button will send the audio from that channel to the effect your using.
S4racen 5:17 PM - 17 April, 2012
I map the internal fx button to turn on some effects in Serato as well with the wet dry mapped to the control of the effect ...

Adds one more effect to the bank without needing another midi controller....

Cheers
D
K-Rize 8:13 PM - 17 April, 2012
It looks like the 62 would be better for what I want to do. I'm trying to eliminate the MIDI controllers I use now and upgrade the mixer. Seems like I can do all of that in one shot with the 62.

Does anyone have a video demonstrating how the 62 does loop roll?
S4racen 10:09 PM - 17 April, 2012
Not very well at the moment, you use the loop size kib t set the division and then press a button, dicers currently complete my setup as I use the 62 for proper loops and cue points....

Cheers
D
Rane, Support
Zach S 10:56 PM - 17 April, 2012
Don't know of a video off the top of my head but its just like the Sixty Eight.
Select the loop length with the encoder and press the loop roll button underneath the encoder.
MBLL 9:40 PM - 14 February, 2014
Quote:
The Sixty One was designed for the user who controls Scratch Live from their own MIDI controller.
Although every knob, button, and slider on the mixer is MIDI mappable there really isn't any extra controls on it to map to Scratch Live. Maybe the mic section if your not using a mic?

How do I midi map the 61 in SDJ? It does'nt show on the midi controller section in the setup menu.
DjSTINGY 6:43 PM - 24 February, 2014
When I'm on SDJ the Midi is not showing? I have a rane 61 control. Can anyone explain this matter???
dj-freestyle 3:57 PM - 26 February, 2014
what are you trying to midi map? its very limited in sdj right now
MBLL 4:35 PM - 26 February, 2014
I would like to use the mic section for controlling my efx. Dont use a mic anyway
dj-freestyle 5:55 PM - 26 February, 2014
You can 62 so not sure about 61. zach can tell us from rane I'm sure.
MBLL 5:58 PM - 26 February, 2014
Quote:

But how?
dj-freestyle 6:00 PM - 26 February, 2014
waiting for zach to respond? he can help you
dj-freestyle 6:01 PM - 26 February, 2014
I've asked him to help you
MBLL 6:08 PM - 26 February, 2014
Quote:
I've asked him to help you

Thanks mate. That's mighty kind of you:)
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:21 PM - 26 February, 2014
Hey guys...

Unfortunately there are some issues with MIDI and SDJ.
Some hardware allows MIDI mapping and others don't.
In my testing here, the 61 cannot be MIDI mapped at all. The MIDI tab is grayed out.
If MIDI mapping is important for your performance I would revert back to SSL until Serato gets this fixed or some workaround is figured out.
djcrap 6:25 PM - 26 February, 2014
Quote:
Hey guys...

In my testing here, the 61 cannot be MIDI mapped at all. The MIDI tab is grayed out.
If MIDI mapping is important for your performance I would revert back to SSL until Serato gets this fixed or some workaround is figured out.

The 68 is grayed out too. Same issue
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:58 PM - 26 February, 2014
Yes.. the only Rane hardware you can map currently with is the 62 and the 64:(
dj-freestyle 4:19 PM - 27 February, 2014
its coming guys i have no doubt
MBLL 4:58 PM - 27 February, 2014
Quote:
Hey guys...

What is the time perspektive of Serato DJ getting a propper midi editor?
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:54 PM - 27 February, 2014
I have no idea but hopefully sooner rather than later.
Shanan 8:22 AM - 22 August, 2014
Still no update for the Rane 61 with Serato DJ?
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:50 PM - 22 August, 2014
The MIDI issue has been fixed in the 1.7 version which is in beta atm.
Release will be sometime next month I believe.
Shanan 5:17 PM - 22 August, 2014
Ahh that great thanks.