Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Audio track gains are much louder in serato DJ 1.6

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Pioneer DJ DDJ-SX
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
Ricky 305 9:23 PM - 13 February, 2014
audio tracks are much louder in serato dj 1.6 than in previous ver or scratch live.

i tested the same track in scratch live and they were not even in the yellow on the meter. in serato dj 1.6 they are peaking in red even after re-analyzing and setting 92db to auto gain.

Switched back to scratch live and they seem normal to how i have all my tracks set.

So im wondering if serato dj 1.6 is reading the gain levels wrong for the tracks or if its more accurate and i have to re-analyze all my library at a lower db level. ( I don't want to spend the time to do this and then have to redo it again if it is going to get fixed in an update)

i also thought maybe it was just the lights on the interface on ddjsx but i confirmed on the mixer in the club that the tracks are louder and some even peak. no issue in previous version of serato dj or scratch live.

Tested and also loud on my vci380 so I'm guessing it's something in serato DJ 1.6
Serato, Support
Matt P 1:17 AM - 18 February, 2014
Hi Ricky 305,

I've heard a couple people having some issues with auto gain. Can you tell me when you analyze your tracks if you have the options to "Seto auto bpm" and Set beat Grid" checked?

Can you upload one of the files you are having this problem with?

Also try comparing it with an older version of SDJ here - serato.com

Matt P
5:25 AM, 18 Feb 2014
Ricky 305 attached a file: 01 Enamorado de Ti - 98 BPM - latinclubremix.com.mp3
Download· Permalink
5:28 AM, 18 Feb 2014
Ricky 305 attached a file: serato test.mov
Download· Permalink
Ricky 305 5:38 AM - 18 February, 2014
yes i have both options checked. Its actually all my files. they are much louder in SDJ1.6 if i bring down the gain then open SDJ1.3 or Scratch LIVE2.2 now the track is SUPER LOW.
i've included a file and a screen capture showing the difference in audio between SDJ1.6 and Scratch Live its much louder in SDJ1.6 the gain levels seem to be at the same position.
Serato, Support
Matt P 7:53 PM - 19 February, 2014
Hi Ricky 305,

Well the Master volume in SDJ is a little louder than SSL.

I checked you video, and the gains are set right the SDJ gain levels are all looking right. There will be some differences, i think this is related to the master volume though. If you turn the master in SSL up a bit, are you able to get a comparable volume between the two programs?

Matt P
Ricky 305 7:57 PM - 19 February, 2014
ok i will test later and let you know
Ricky 305 3:50 AM - 20 February, 2014
is the meter going up to the last green bar in Scratch Live the same as it going to the last yellow light in SDJ 1.6 ? and that this is only a visual representation? So in my video it would appear the track is louder in SDJ 1.6.
Ricky 305 3:51 AM - 20 February, 2014
btw the master out volume control in scratch live does not affect the gain meters.
3:02 AM, 21 Feb 2014
Ricky 305 attached a file: seratodj1.3.mov
Download· Permalink
3:17 AM, 21 Feb 2014
Ricky 305 attached a file: seratodj1.6.mov
Download· Permalink
Ricky 305 3:19 AM - 21 February, 2014
i have attached two videos showing the difference in gain levels on the same track with sdj1.3 and sdj1.6
Ricky 305 3:21 AM - 21 February, 2014
and a lot of people on this thread have similar issues with this serato.com
Serato, Support
Matt P 1:41 AM - 26 February, 2014
Hi Ricky 305,

I'll have a look at your videos, and let you know if I can find anything.

I checked that other thread and that could be related to the known issue where if you analyse songs in SDJ without the Auto BPM and Set Beat Grid option set the gains are set incorrectly.

Matt P
Ricky 305 1:51 AM - 26 February, 2014
I never analyze without those 2 checked. Infact I re-analyzed my whole library in serato dj 1.3 To make sure all the levels were correct. It's been working fine till now. I never really used 1.5 bc the visual changes made in that version were horrible.
Ricky 305 1:53 AM - 26 February, 2014
Even analyzing the tracks in sdj 1.6 to 92db the tracks still end up in the red.
Serato, Support
Matt P 7:22 PM - 26 February, 2014
HI Ricky 305,

I've checked your videos, thanks for uploading :)

I can clearly see that you are having higher gains in 1.6

If you download a new file and analyze it in 1.6 are you still getting the high gains?

Matt P
Ricky 305 7:45 PM - 26 February, 2014
ok i just did a few new tracks and most came out near the reds. but if i load in ssl its still only in the greens. very weird. i have pitch n time disabled to check. i also did another track with pitch n time enabled but seems to not make a difference.
Ricky 305 7:53 PM - 26 February, 2014
ok i have another question on how autogain works bc i just went in there and switched it to 90db and all the tracks got lower. i thought i needed to analyze everything again to make the tracks lower. i switched it back to 92db (my normal setting) and they are loud again. im wondering if this is a glitch or is this how it has always worked. ive never had to change the autogain. Been using SSL since 1.0 and itch and sdj.
Serato, Support
Matt P 8:03 PM - 26 February, 2014
Hi Ricky 305,

Weird, i'm just so confused by this.. These are all mp3's too?

Quote:
ok i have another question on how autogain works bc i just went in there and switched it to 90db and all the tracks got lower. i thought i needed to analyze everything again to make the tracks lower. i switched it back to 92db (my normal setting) and they are loud again. im wondering if this is a glitch or is this how it has always worked.

Thats how its meant to work. Its behaving as it should in that respect.

I guess you could use that as a workaround for now.

Tell me, if you adjust the gain of the track individually does it stay the same across both platforms for you?

Matt P
Ricky 305 8:14 PM - 26 February, 2014
yes only testing mp3 now but i dj with both mp3's and mp4's. i'll try it tonight when i get home to make a new mixtape with SDJ 1.6 setting at 90db or lower. looks like SSL settings are not affected by the change, when i opened it it was still at 92db. but there is definitely something different going on with the gain reading in sdj 1.6
Ricky 305 4:47 PM - 28 February, 2014
btw i ran a few more test yesterday. if i actually disable the pitch and time plugin the gains return to normal how i had in ssl and sdj1.3 . But you have to disable it from the settings. not just turn it off in the virtual decks. also i tested this with vci-380 only. i did not get a chance to test with the ddjsx or sl3. i will test some more over the weekend and at my events.
Scottie A 12:23 PM - 2 March, 2014
Ive have been having the exact same volume problems. I'd say nearly all tracks analyzed in Serato DJ are far too loud. They hit the Reds everytime!!!! The same track loaded in Serato Scratch SL2 barely hits the yellows. I have SL2 running into channel 1 + 4 of my DDJ-SX using 2 Pioneer CDJ 1000 mk3's. I have tried analyzing both files in SSL and SDJ and tried them using both my DDJ-SX and SSL and CDJ's and my old 2 channel X5 mixer with the same results. The tracks always Hit the Reds using Serato DJ 1.6 : ( : ( : (
Serato, Support
Matt P 2:51 AM - 4 March, 2014
Hi Ricky 305,

Quote:
btw i ran a few more test yesterday. if i actually disable the pitch and time plugin the gains return to normal how i had in ssl and sdj1.3 . But you have to disable it from the settings. not just turn it off in the virtual decks. also i tested this with vci-380 only. i did not get a chance to test with the ddjsx or sl3. i will test some more over the weekend and at my events.

I've tested this and its a known issue, we will be working to fix this soon now.

Thanks for your help.

Matt P