DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Speakers and Subs

Mike Sinclair 4:17 PM - 11 February, 2014
I've heard that the upcoming EV ETX speakers and the RCF D series both blow away QSC K series. I am looking at two potential speaker setups: 1) Pair of EV ETX-10P (or 12P) tops with ETX-15SP sub. or 2) Pair of RCF HD-32a tops (not sure about what sub to use). Also, I know a lot of people don't like the Ksub, but for portability, it can't be beat... plus, I think it's tight sounding. Am I crazy? I don't care for a "rumble" sub, more of a tight, punchy sound (if that makes sense). Thoughts?
SELECT 4:39 PM - 11 February, 2014
Quote:
I've heard that the upcoming EV ETX speakers and the RCF D series both blow away QSC K series. I am looking at two potential speaker setups: 1) Pair of EV ETX-10P (or 12P) tops with ETX-15SP sub. or 2) Pair of RCF HD-32a tops (not sure about what sub to use). Also, I know a lot of people don't like the Ksub, but for portability, it can't be beat... plus, I think it's tight sounding. Am I crazy? I don't care for a "rumble" sub, more of a tight, punchy sound (if that makes sense). Thoughts?

The QSC K series or KW? Im a huge fan of the Ksub. I can fit in in my backseat and is great for most of my mobile gigs. I also own two 18 subs, but to be honest the Ksub gets out more.

EV ETX- Watchwww.youtube.com

By the specs on the new EV ETX series they seem like a step up in the mobile speaker realm. The built in DSP processing is a really nice feature on the series. The quality of the boxes seem really great and solid. The actual sound reviews will come soon Im sure. For mobile work the only drawback will be the weight. The are definitely a tad heavier than its competitors. The 15 sub is 91 pounds and the 18 inch sub is 114.00 pounds.
Mike Sinclair 4:41 PM - 11 February, 2014
Yeah, the Ksub weight is a big plus for me too. I'm considering keeping my Ksub, but buying different tops... like the RCF or EV stuff I mentioned.
DJ GaFFle 5:13 PM - 11 February, 2014
Quote:
The are definitely a tad heavier than its competitors. The 15 sub is 91 pounds and the 18 inch sub is 114.00 pounds.

Quality speaker construction = quality speaker sound

Peeps, who've heard them, rave about the 15" ETX sub like it's on some sort of other level. Other manufacturers cut corners in cabinet construction for ultra-light weight but the compromise is, the sound suffers. We'll see when they hit the streets. It is EV though and they don't really deliver bummy products.
SELECT 5:20 PM - 11 February, 2014
Sound demo of each model-
Watchwww.youtube.com
SELECT 5:26 PM - 11 February, 2014
Of course, thats why the KW series is better than the K series QSC speakers. Wood is always better than plastic and way better for bass. Thats why we all love the yorkville series speakers, but they are way too damn heavy for mobile work.

These new EV ETX speakers could be all hype or could really sound better and more importantly hit harder. Time will tell.
Joee 6:28 PM - 11 February, 2014
i had the same problem deciding what too buy a few months back i always been a ev person my self used ann owned all there sx,sxa,zx,zxa,elx etc
serato.com

that said i went with the rcf set up, i'm happy with my choice the tops are 38lbs & the subs are 70lbs....i love the top end of the rcf box it's very ear pleasing not harsh or ear fatiguing at al
Robbie O 7:01 PM - 11 February, 2014
Moblie DJ here. Are you guys serious with the Ksub? How much is being sacrificed? I have the KW Series Tops and was thinking about the KW Sub, but my lazy behind hasn't mainly for portability reason (got a honda accord, but my tetris skill is real).
the_black_one 7:06 PM - 11 February, 2014
Ksub... Friends don't let friends buy ksubs

Nm
Joee 7:12 PM - 11 February, 2014
ksubs are junk i see no reason to buy a ksub.....

this sounds better weighs less cost less & is compact--> www.rcf.it
Robbie O 7:14 PM - 11 February, 2014
Quote:
Ksub... Friends don't let friends buy ksubs

Nm

Quote:

Ahh... you guys are true friends! almost let myself go there... lol wheew!
Mike Sinclair 7:26 PM - 11 February, 2014
The RCF subwoofer looks great... now I'm torn more than ever between RCF and the new ETX series by EV
DJ Val-BKNY11203 7:33 PM - 11 February, 2014
Quote:

That RCF Sub or the EV ELX-118?
dj jamalot 7:36 PM - 11 February, 2014
Quote:
The RCF subwoofer looks great... now I'm torn more than ever between RCF and the new ETX series by EV

Wow that baby is only 70 Lbs...
Mike Sinclair 7:37 PM - 11 February, 2014
and the 15" ETX sub coming out from EV is 91 pounds! But, I have heard from people at NAMM that they sound incredible.
Joee 7:43 PM - 11 February, 2014
the rcf will cost you less money.....the 705-as can be found for $770 to $880,i use them & i'm very happy with them
imageshack.com

i know you said your were looking at the hd32-a, you may also want to look at the 312a,fd12-a & hd12-a......great options that cost less

"That RCF Sub or the EV ELX-118?"

i sold two elx subs still have my rcf......that should answer that one

"Wow that baby is only 70 Lbs..."

when you combine two together man do they hit nice, hard & punchy, i could turn on just one in my basement walk upstairs to my second floor and still feel the bass under my feet in the bedroom
SELECT 7:44 PM - 11 February, 2014
Lol. Seriously whatever works for you. I use that Ksub all the time and it works really well. More than enough bass. For me every gig is different and I use that Ksub more often than not. Its so compact and its a workhorse. Really inexpensive if you can find one used like I did. In any case I dont judge what sound to bring by "how many people". I judge what sound system Im bringing from the size of the dance floor. Thats it. So IMO you need a small sub for most mobile gigs. Thats why most manufacturers are making them now. Yamaha, Mackie, RCF, EV are all making smaller subs from 12-15 inches. I'll only bring both my 18inch SRX subs when I know I have to cover a huge venue or event.

Here is that RCF in action. Watchwww.youtube.com I'm a fan of all these new smaller subs. Paired with my 15in tops they would be perfect for 90% of my mobile gigs.

I also use the KW181 sub a lot and that for me is the most compact powered 18 sub on the market.
Mike Sinclair 7:45 PM - 11 February, 2014
Quote:
the rcf will cost you less money.....the 705-as can be found for $770 to $880,i use them & i'm very happy with them
imageshack.com

i know you said your were looking at the hd32-a, you may also want to look at the 312a,fd12-a & hd12-a......great options that cost less

when you combine two together man do they hit nice, hard & punchy, i could turn on just one in my basement walk upstairs to my second floor and still feel the bass under my feet in the bedroom

Money isn't the object for me IF the EV ETX stuff sounds better than the RCF stuff. However, if they are somewhat comparable, RCF might be a good way to upgrade from K12's and KSub. From the "buzz" these EV's are going to be the big dogs.
Mike Sinclair 7:50 PM - 11 February, 2014
If I go with the EV speakers, should I buy 10's or 12's ... one retailer said the 10's with 15" sub should work for small to medium weddings (which is all I do). But, if there's a reason to get the 12's... thoughts?
Joee 7:54 PM - 11 February, 2014
money is no object you say well ok than but two of these
www.proaudiostar.com

there is NO better two way 15 in it price point, it can be had for $1,300 to $1,400

& two of these...
www.proaudiostar.com

they can be had for $1,500 to $1,700

or two of these
www.proaudiostar.com

they can be had for $1,100 to $1,300

and let me finish buy telling you that if you do buy any combination of these setups you WILL have the BEST dj rig around period point blank......

FOR REAL
DJ Val-BKNY11203 7:55 PM - 11 February, 2014
Quote:
imageshack.com

The RCF 15 is better than the EV 18? Louder Deeper Better sound?
Mike Sinclair 7:57 PM - 11 February, 2014
I appreciate the input on those "super systems" but weight and space is an issue. I can't do 15's and two subs... MIGHT be able to get one 18" sub in my car, but 15" is more realistic. I have a station wagon, no trailer... I am between the ETX stuff and RCF right now.
Joee 7:57 PM - 11 February, 2014
Quote:
If I go with the EV speakers, should I buy 10's or 12's ... one retailer said the 10's with 15" sub should work for small to medium weddings (which is all I do). But, if there's a reason to get the 12's... thoughts?

ok with that said "small to medium wedding here my recommendation two of these
shop.chucklevins.com

& two of these
www.kpodj.com
Joee 8:02 PM - 11 February, 2014
Quote:
The RCF 15 is better than the EV 18? Louder Deeper Better sound?

the ev has a rounder/fuller type of bass if you know what i mean, the rcf has a punchy hard hit bass
DJ Val-BKNY11203 8:03 PM - 11 February, 2014
Quote:
I appreciate the input on those "super systems" but weight and space is an issue. I can't do 15's and two subs... MIGHT be able to get one 18" sub in my car, but 15" is more realistic. I have a station wagon, no trailer... I am between the ETX stuff and RCF right now.

You can fit all kinds of stuff in a station wagon.
Joee 8:05 PM - 11 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

ok with that said "small to medium wedding here my recommendation two of these
shop.chucklevins.com

& two of these
www.kpodj.com

sorry i posted the wrong sub ,this is the one i wanted to post---> www.kpodj.com
SELECT 8:11 PM - 11 February, 2014
That 15in RCF sub is great, but for a few inches/pounds more you could get a QSC KW181 for almost the same price if you look hard enough.
Joee 8:15 PM - 11 February, 2014
all the recommendation do NOT mean you should not look at the new ETX stuff cause it does look good......i would not buy it my self a 91lbs 15 sub and a 52lbs 12 top is not something i want to lug around

but buy all means look into them ,me for what i do the RCF is it.....the perfect balance between size & weight
Mike Sinclair 8:16 PM - 11 February, 2014
Quote:
all the recommendation do NOT mean you should not look at the new ETX stuff cause it does look good......i would not buy it my self a 91lbs 15 sub and a 52lbs 12 top is not something i want to lug around

but buy all means look into them ,me for what i do the RCF is it.....the perfect balance between size & weight

Well said and thanks for your input! :D
Joee 8:16 PM - 11 February, 2014
Quote:
That 15in RCF sub is great, but for a few inches/pounds more you could get a QSC KW181 for almost the same price if you look hard enough.

i did a side by side comparison with the

RCF SUB 705-AS
vs
QSC KW181

the qsc goes lower but the rcf hit harder
SELECT 8:21 PM - 11 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

i did a side by side comparison with the

RCF SUB 705-AS
vs
QSC KW181

the qsc goes lower but the rcf hit harder

Cool, I like RCF stuff and that 15in sub is an excellent choice for mobile gigs.
SELECT 8:22 PM - 11 February, 2014
Quote:

Great advice.
Joee 8:23 PM - 11 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Well said and thanks for your input! :D

just an fyi, i am & have alway been a ev guy I own or have owned all the stuff
zx4,zxa5,zx1,zxa1,sb122,zxa1 sub,sx300,sx500,sxa250,sxa100 all the elx,zlx.....you get the idea, i like ev

but the main thing i use now a days is RCF
Robbie O 8:26 PM - 11 February, 2014
Wish I read these threads before paying duckets for my KW12... Probably gonna look into those 705-AS instead of the KW181 for portability reasons.
Joee 8:26 PM - 11 February, 2014
@Mike Sinclair

make sure you take a good look at the RCF's SUB 705-AS & FD12-A
Joee 8:31 PM - 11 February, 2014
Quote:
Wish I read these threads before paying duckets for my KW12... Probably gonna look into those 705-AS instead of the KW181 for portability reasons.

it all depends on what you want the kw181 is very portable for being a 18 the caster makes it so easy to move around

one isn't better than the other there just two different kinds of bass
JDforKing 8:52 PM - 11 February, 2014
i wonder how the yamaha dxs15 stacks up against the rcf 705as?
Joee 9:04 PM - 11 February, 2014
Quote:
i wonder how the yamaha dxs15 stacks up against the rcf 705as?

there probably similar in sound since there both bandpass boxes, but the yamaha is 83lbs vs the 70lbs rcf
Al Poulin 10:45 PM - 11 February, 2014
My current favorite systems are a pair of Yamaha DXR15s on stands for small weddings OR a pair of DXR8s on top of a pair of DXS12 subs for bigger weddings. RCF 3 series tops sound great as well (very similar to DXR), but the DXRs have a much better mixer section and look much better. For DJ work, especially wedding type gigs where looks are important, if you want to go with RCF, I would opt for the HD12As over 902-AS subs, personally for a good looking, hi output and compact system :

www.rcf.it

www.rcf.it

The DXR8s over DXS12s are excellent however. You just absolutely need covers for them. A single DXS12 performs as well or better than a Ksub while costing MUCH less. The Ksub is known as an underperformer.

Al
Joee 10:52 PM - 11 February, 2014
Quote:
My current favorite systems are a pair of Yamaha DXR15s on stands for small weddings OR a pair of DXR8s on top of a pair of DXS12 subs for bigger weddings. RCF 3 series tops sound great as well (very similar to DXR), but the DXRs have a much better mixer section and look much better. For DJ work, especially wedding type gigs where looks are important, if you want to go with RCF, I would opt for the HD12As over 902-AS subs, personally for a good looking, hi output and compact system :

www.rcf.it

www.rcf.it

The DXR8s over DXS12s are excellent however. You just absolutely need covers for them. A single DXS12 performs as well or better than a Ksub while costing MUCH less. The Ksub is known as an underperformer.

Al

great recommendation, but i think i would want the 905-as over the hd12-a, the hd12-a is one beast of a little speaker, it really does sound great there also a fd12-a that sound very similar

905-as
www.rcf.it

fd12-a
shop.chucklevins.com
Al Poulin 10:55 PM - 11 February, 2014
Al
great recommendation, but i think i would want the 905-as over the hd12-a, the hd12-a is one beast of a little speaker, it really does sound great there also a fd12-a that sound very similar

905-as
www.rcf.it

fd12-a
shop.chucklevins.com

Oh yeah, forgot the 15 was only 10lbs heavier. Absolutely, 905AS would be even better with the HD12A. Good catch!
Joee 11:04 PM - 11 February, 2014
Quote:
Al

905-as
www.rcf.it

fd12-a
shop.chucklevins.com

Oh yeah, forgot the 15 was only 10lbs heavier. Absolutely, 905AS would be even better with the HD12A. Good catch!

i did the same thing ....lol, i meant to post the sub 705-as & mistakenly posted the sub 702-as.....lol

but them setups are pricey...... the 905 is in the $1,400 mark and the hd12 is in the $800 range

so the next best would be the fd12-a($500) & the sub 705-as($800).....i honestly don't know why i waited so long to get rcf's.....i love them
hologram 5:05 AM - 12 February, 2014
KW181
Have six of them and they always rent out . Even when I'm not in town.
It's not just about the sound it's also about the durability and it's ability to protect itself.
pdidy 5:28 AM - 12 February, 2014
Quote:
KW181
Have six of them and they always rent out . Even when I'm not in town.
It's not just about the sound it's also about the durability and it's ability to protect itself.

True....The qsc k and kw series are some of the most reliable speakes ive used. Whens the last time you heard of someone blowing them ? They can take a serious beating from improper use. One of my boys abuses the shit of his kw181's kw152 and k12's every weekend for 2yrs and he still has not managed to blow them....smh
dj_soo 6:26 AM - 12 February, 2014
There's always the yorkville 15s - the LS720ps (rat fur finish) or the NX720S (polyurethane finish). Nowhere near as pounding as the LS801s, but I run a pair of those with my K12s or DXR10s and they fill out the low end nicely for small to medium sized gigs. 75 lbs and I can probably do up to 300 for a wedding style gig with two of em coupled.
SELECT 9:41 PM - 12 February, 2014
Meet the beast- 220 pounds and a 24 inch woofer. www.pssl.com
DJ GaFFle 12:32 AM - 13 February, 2014
Quote:

For about $700 more, one could save 60 lbs, have a more compact unit, go lower and still be louder with one of these: www.danleysoundlabs.com
Joee 12:40 AM - 13 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

For about $700 more, one could save 60 lbs, have a more compact unit, go lower and still be louder with one of these: www.danleysoundlabs.com

hey gaf have your ever herd this?
www.danleysoundlabs.com

this and the mini might be a REAL nice small set up
DJ GaFFle 12:59 AM - 13 February, 2014
Yeah... I brought my ZXA5 there and A/B'd them. I didn't really like the sound for what I play. The SM60 seemed to have no bottom end and of course, they didn't get as loud. Another true pro-audio guy would probably have preferred their sound as they seemed to be flatter in response, more so than the EV's. For live music, they'll probably be much better solution than the ZX5's.

From what I hear, the SM80s are extremely loud. They say it takes 3 TH-118s to keep up with 1 SM80 which is hard to imagine.
Joee 1:12 AM - 13 February, 2014
SM60
www.danleysoundlabs.com

not to be confused with the SM60F
www.danleysoundlabs.com

sm60f being the full range box and the sm60 being a mid/top box

this is all just talk because i defiantly don't need them, but having a super sounding small setup is always nice......show up to the gig, client says what are these toys are you sure it's enough ......than you turn it on & they say WOW

i've alway wanted to get a dynocord dLite system......but this mini danley setup might trump it
DJ GaFFle 3:21 AM - 13 February, 2014
My bad... I demoed the SM60F.
Mr.Jace 8:47 PM - 22 May, 2015
I need some advice. I am in the market for subs. I need something to fit in my small car, easy to carry up/down stairs and space is limited in my storage. I am stuck between (One ev ekx18sp) (Two ev ekx15sp) or (two yorkville Ls720p). My main concern is the weight. I love the ev with the 15 sub @ 57.7 pounds , 18 sub @72 pounds, and yorkville @73.5 pounds. In this case, are heavy subs better? I've read forums where people say heavier is better. Is this true? Are the yorkvilles a better buy? I find it odd a yorkville 15 sub is slightly heavier than an ev 18 sub. Any feedback will be appreicated. Thanks.
Rebelguy 10:52 PM - 22 May, 2015
Paging Joee the light sub master.
Joee 12:51 PM - 23 May, 2015
Quote:

lol

Quote:
I need some advice. I am in the market for subs. I need something to fit in my small car, easy to carry up/down stairs and space is limited in my storage. I am stuck between (One ev ekx18sp) (Two ev ekx15sp) or (two yorkville Ls720p). My main concern is the weight. I love the ev with the 15 sub @ 57.7 pounds , 18 sub @72 pounds, and yorkville @73.5 pounds. In this case, are heavy subs better? I've read forums where people say heavier is better. Is this true? Are the yorkvilles a better buy? I find it odd a yorkville 15 sub is slightly heavier than an ev 18 sub. Any feedback will be appreicated. Thanks.

50lbs 15"
www.rcf.it

or how about a 50lbs sub & top combo
www.rcf.it

Watchwww.youtube.com

the ekx15sp seem like another great option

also look at the jbl prx715xlf 56lbs
dj_soo 8:47 PM - 23 May, 2015
I run a pair of the yorkvilles. They're manageable and compact and pack a punch but they can be a little boomy out of the box. Spec-wise, they go a little lower than the EVs and get a little louder than the RCFs, but sound quality wise I often have to tweak them a bit and play with placement to get the best sound or run through my driverack.

The reason that they are heavier is likely because they are an older sub and technology has advanced to the point where companies can make lighter and smaller amps and transducers than before. Also, when the yorkvilles came out, emphasis was still a bit more on solid build and feel whereas now, companies are realizing that light and portable systems are becoming more of a desire.

Best bet would be to have a listen for yourself and choose what you like best. Likely the EVs will sound a bit nicer while the yorkvilles will pack a bit more punch. I think you'd get a little more volume out of a pair of 15s over a single 18. If you go by the listed specs tho (which generally aren't trustworthy), the yorkville actually outperforms even the 18" ev in terms of output.

I went with the yorkvilles mainly because they are abundant in my city and the same company runs a chain of shops with a bunch of the same subs for rent so I can easily grab a few more for bigger parties.

If you decide to go with the yorkvilles, I would suggest also looking at the NX720S. Exact same sub, but with a polyurethane finish rather than the rat fur look.
Mr.Jace 11:21 PM - 23 May, 2015
Quote:
I run a pair of the yorkvilles. They're manageable and compact and pack a punch but they can be a little boomy out of the box. Spec-wise, they go a little lower than the EVs and get a little louder than the RCFs, but sound quality wise I often have to tweak them a bit and play with placement to get the best sound or run through my driverack.

The reason that they are heavier is likely because they are an older sub and technology has advanced to the point where companies can make lighter and smaller amps and transducers than before. Also, when the yorkvilles came out, emphasis was still a bit more on solid build and feel whereas now, companies are realizing that light and portable systems are becoming more of a desire.

Best bet would be to have a listen for yourself and choose what you like best. Likely the EVs will sound a bit nicer while the yorkvilles will pack a bit more punch. I think you'd get a little more volume out of a pair of 15s over a single 18. If you go by the listed specs tho (which generally aren't trustworthy), the yorkville actually outperforms even the 18" ev in terms of output.

I went with the yorkvilles mainly because they are abundant in my city and the same company runs a chain of shops with a bunch of the same subs for rent so I can easily grab a few more for bigger parties.

If you decide to go with the yorkvilles, I would suggest also looking at the NX720S. Exact same sub, but with a polyurethane finish rather than the rat fur look.

Thank you so much for that input. I am leaning towards the yorkville. I know for a fact that yorkville is much more reliable and built much stronger than EV. I need something that will last. And I know where I can get the Ls720p for $749.99 each. Ev cost a little more. Besides, now that I think of it. I am not sure if I like the idea of having a LCD digital screen on back of a sub with all the vibrating and shaking. It looks fragile, like something could go out. Then the sub is done for. Thanks again for the input Dj_soo.
Joee 12:51 AM - 24 May, 2015
Quote:
I am leaning towards the yorkville.

77lbs for a 15" sub tho?

you would be better of getting a JBL vrx981sp @ only 8lbs more than the york & sound quality will be a big improvement over the york…….one jbl would cost about the same as two yorks

the vrx is in another league ……..
Mr.Jace 1:36 AM - 24 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
I am leaning towards the yorkville.

77lbs for a 15" sub tho?

you would be better of getting a JBL vrx981sp @ only 8lbs more than the york & sound quality will be a big improvement over the york…….one jbl would cost about the same as two yorks

the vrx is in another league ……..

I was thinking about the JBL VRX. I seen one at my Guitar center on clearance for $1399, but its in horrible shape. Grill pushed in, box with scuff marks , some areas the wood is chipped. Whats the best place to get best price to order one on-line? And do you think one vrx will go great with a pair of elx112p?
Mr.Jace 2:05 AM - 24 May, 2015
^the jbl sub only has one input /output. Looks like I will need an external crossover. Jbl has switchable 80hz/120hz. My tops hi pass at 100hz. Grrr... Jbl is 85 pounds, I can handle that. Looks promising though.
Al Poulin 2:12 AM - 24 May, 2015
At 749$ a piece, I would defenitely go for the pair of 720Ps. They are high quality + very musical sounding subs that go nice and low considering the compact box. I miss the one I oned a few years ago... Inside the box, you have a premium 1000 watt 3" voice coil neodymium woofer. They can seem to limit early, but you can run these into limiting all night without issue as long as the red clip light doesn't activate (then you need to back off the volume). Very solid sub backed by a 2 year unconditional warranty - even if you break it!

Al
Joee 2:13 AM - 24 May, 2015
Quote:
I was thinking about the JBL VRX. I seen one at my Guitar center on clearance for $1399,

you can buy one brand new shipped for $1,500

Quote:
^the jbl sub only has one input /output. Looks like I will need an external crossover.

run mono……..you won't need a crossover

Quote:
My tops hi pass at 100hz. Grrr...

leave your tops on full range mode, the jbl will send a high pass signal to them they will only play mid/highs above 80Hz…..i wouldn't recommend 120Hz
Joee 2:17 AM - 24 May, 2015
Quote:
At 749$ a piece, I would defenitely go for the pair of 720Ps

i wouldn't ……considering the vrx is the same price as two yorks goes lower sounds better & is only 8lbs more
Mr.Jace 2:33 AM - 24 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
I was thinking about the JBL VRX. I seen one at my Guitar center on clearance for $1399,

you can buy one brand new shipped for $1,500

Quote:
^the jbl sub only has one input /output. Looks like I will need an external crossover.

run mono……..you won't need a crossover

Quote:
My tops hi pass at 100hz. Grrr...

leave your tops on full range mode, the jbl will send a high pass signal to them they will only play mid/highs above 80Hz…..i wouldn't recommend 120Hz

I would not be able to play my tops in stereo. Hmmm.... I really see you're point Joee. I can see the idea of giving me the biggest bang for my buck going for JBL. I just wish I can get away with not going all mono. Need to think about it.
Joee 2:35 AM - 24 May, 2015
Quote:
I just wish I can get away with not going all mono. Need to think about it.

serato has a mono output setting ……….no one will ever notice that your not running stereo, i run mono all the time without issue
pdidy 4:01 AM - 24 May, 2015
fun fact: most high end club and concerts are run mono including my system. I have 4 tops and 4 subs so I can run stereo but I choose to run mono as a preference all the time.
Mr.Jace 4:11 AM - 24 May, 2015
Hey Joee? Which website sells the Jbl vrx sub for $1500? I've checked on-line and everybody has them for $1999.
Joee 12:31 PM - 24 May, 2015
you won't see it advertised for that any ware, you have to call the stores….try proaudiostar
Al Poulin 5:24 PM - 24 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
At 749$ a piece, I would defenitely go for the pair of 720Ps

i wouldn't ……considering the vrx is the same price as two yorks goes lower sounds better & is only 8lbs more

The JBL does go a few hz lower (34 vs 40hz) than the 720Ps, but has a maximum PEAK SPL of 126DBs. A pair of the 720Ps should get louder IMO, and I personally prefer to have a pair of subs vs a single one if a failure should ever occur. If you have only a single sub, you will be left with pretty whimpy sound. I'm also not a big fan of JBL or Crown amplifiers. That is just my personal opinion though...

Al
Joee 5:35 PM - 24 May, 2015
Quote:
The JBL does go a few hz lower (34 vs 40hz) than the 720Ps, but has a maximum PEAK SPL of 126DBs

this is often a misconception of this speaker

the spl measurements were done outdoors in a open air environment with no boundaries like so
www.wildandmarr.co.za

those numbers ail jump considerably when you add a wall/floor & use them indoors
Al Poulin 5:43 PM - 24 May, 2015
Why would they state PEAK MAXIMUM SPL without having made any effort to get a better number all the while choosing to measure it in a way that would result in the poorest result? A qualifier indicating how the measured number was obtained might be a good idea for JBL.

Al
Joee 5:46 PM - 24 May, 2015
because those subs are meant to be flown in the air, i guess this is how they measured them
Al Poulin 5:51 PM - 24 May, 2015
Wasn't aware of that. thanks :-)
pdidy 7:41 PM - 24 May, 2015
Quote:
Why would they state PEAK MAXIMUM SPL without having made any effort to get a better number all the while choosing to measure it in a way that would result in the poorest result? A qualifier indicating how the measured number was obtained might be a good idea for JBL.

Al

I would quess JBL or any major brand just assumes you know this if you're qualified to use the gear. They are not the "poorest result" but rather real result for when the gear is used in the way it was designed for (Flown). There is "A qualifier indicating how the measured number was obtained" in jbl's documentation which indicates that it is measured in free space (free field conditions) as compared to most other subs which are Calculated (aka lies) in 1/2 space. www.jblpro.com
Mr.Jace 10:42 PM - 25 May, 2015
I gave it some thought about the subs Joee. You gave me a website showing me the RCF weighting at 50 pounds. Do you own those subs? I looked online and it seems like the 705-as sub has different looks to them. Some has a wood band pass face, some has full grill. I never seen RCF before personality, but was there an update to these subs? Tell me about them, I never buy speakers without testing first, but I might gamble on them.
Joee 10:50 PM - 25 May, 2015
Quote:
I gave it some thought about the subs Joee. You gave me a website showing me the RCF weighting at 50 pounds. Do you own those subs?

i do not , the sub 705-asmkII is a new product it hasn't be released yet but is do out this summer
www.rcf.it

I've owed the 70lbs sub 705-asmkI & was extremely happy with it
www.rcf.it
Mr.Jace 10:55 PM - 25 May, 2015
^thanks
Taipanic 5:44 PM - 26 May, 2015
While the JBL is a good sounding sub, especially for being so small & light, it seems you really need 3-4 of them to get sound levels that most DJs want, bringing your sub total up to $4-6,000. I would definitely demo them before buying them and make sure a single sub would meet your expectations.
Mr.Jace 10:52 PM - 26 May, 2015
I know I am limiting myself to something portable, my problem is the car I drive to transport my mobile equitment, limited space. I need to get a SUV or van so I can get what I really want like a pair of 18 subs. I would like to use two subs to give myself flexibility. As of now, I'm in no rush to buy yet. I have lots of weddings coming up later in the year. I'll just keep saving money and read reviews. Only subs I have in mind so far is a pair of:
Ev ekx15sp
Yorkville Ls720p
RCf 705asmkll

Single JBL VRX 918sp, I tried to lift it at Guitar center, but my bad back dosen't agree with it. Max weight for me is 75 pounds without the box feeling bulky.
Joee 11:08 PM - 26 May, 2015
Quote:
I know I am limiting myself to something portable, my problem is the car I drive to transport my mobile equitment, limited space. I need to get a SUV or van so I can get what I really want like a pair of 18 subs. I would like to use two subs to give myself flexibility. As of now, I'm in no rush to buy yet. I have lots of weddings coming up later in the year. I'll just keep saving money and read reviews. Only subs I have in mind so far is a pair of:
Ev ekx15sp
Yorkville Ls720p
RCf 705asmkll

Single JBL VRX 918sp, I tried to lift it at Guitar center, but my bad back dosen't agree with it. Max weight for me is 75 pounds without the box feeling bulky.

if you do a lot of weddings you should really look @ the rcf evox 8
Rebelguy 12:14 AM - 27 May, 2015
How about the JBL PRX715XLF? Only 56lbs.
Mr.Jace 1:44 AM - 27 May, 2015
@ rebelguy I saw those Jbl subs on there website, how do they compare to the other subs?

@joee I remember you telling me about the evox8 on a different forum, I'll add it to my list, something I might consider.
Joee 6:03 AM - 27 May, 2015
Quote:
@ rebelguy I saw those Jbl subs on there website, how do they compare to the other subs?

@joee I remember you telling me about the evox8 on a different forum, I'll add it to my list, something I might consider.

already recommended that sub based on your weight requirements
Quote:
Quote:

lol

Quote:

50lbs 15"
www.rcf.it

or how about a 50lbs sub & top combo
www.rcf.it

Watchwww.youtube.com

the ekx15sp seem like another great option

also look at the jbl prx715xlf 56lbs
Mr.Jace 3:35 PM - 27 May, 2015
I appreicate that. The weight is perfect. As far as the Jbl prx715xlf, I meant to ask, how are they sound wise? How do they compare to other subs output wise, anybody has any hands on experience in the real world with them? I heard the 18 version before and I thought they were pretty good. Just don't see much reviews on the prx715xlf.
DJFree 3:40 PM - 27 May, 2015
Quote:
I appreicate that. The weight is perfect. As far as the Jbl prx715xlf, I meant to ask, how are they sound wise? How do they compare to other subs output wise, anybody has any hands on experience in the real world with them? I heard the 18 version before and I thought they were pretty good. Just don't see much reviews on the prx715xlf.

I had the 718xlf.....I liked it....the 715xlf has good reviews on djforums.com you may want to head over there and read up on it.
Mr.Jace 3:50 PM - 27 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I had the 718xlf.....I liked it....the 715xlf has good reviews on djforums.com you may want to head over there and read up on it.

Will do, thanks.
desmorider 1:26 AM - 29 May, 2015
www.fbt.it

Badass light sub that gets down to 38hz. Add some promaxx14a tops for a killer system.
Joee 1:36 AM - 29 May, 2015
Quote:
www.fbt.it

Badass light sub that gets down to 38hz. Add some promaxx14a tops for a killer system.

+1

it's 65lbs but sound pretty nice
djvtyme85 2:01 AM - 29 May, 2015
my uncle owns the 715xlf sub & i've used it regularly the past year or so. people under estimate the power of it, but for light duty work it's perfect. hook it up to a board or a drive and it only gets better. great for most weddings and light enough for small basement parts. price wise if you go to any major retailer and ask you can get them for right at $1,000
djvtyme85 2:03 AM - 29 May, 2015
i really wish Serato would allow us to edit posts lol. excuse my typos but i meant "drive rack" not drive* and "basement parties" not parts*
pdidy 2:54 AM - 29 May, 2015
Quote:
www.fbt.it

the spl rating is all lies, aint no way in hell it can do 136db even if you had 2 of them. Besides for the lies its probably a nice lil sub.
DJ GaFFle 9:30 AM - 29 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
www.fbt.it

the spl rating is all lies, aint no way in hell it can do 136db even if you had 2 of them. Besides for the lies its probably a nice lil sub.

Yeah... that ones blatant. Not a fan...
Joee 11:17 AM - 29 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
www.fbt.it

i heard them last year, the sound they put out was pretty crazy considering there weight/size
DJ GaFFle 1:50 PM - 29 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
www.fbt.it

i heard them last year, the sound they put out was pretty crazy considering there weight/size

Yeah but 136dB out of a 15" bandpass sub? NOT

So according to FBT, their 15" sub is louder than the EV ETX18SP and the almighty RCF 8004AS.
DJ GaFFle 1:51 PM - 29 May, 2015
The best thing that sub has going for it is its B&C designed woofer. B&C makes tip-top-tier drivers.
Joee 1:52 PM - 29 May, 2015
Quote:
So according to FBT, their 15" sub is louder than the EV ETX18SP and the almighty RCF 8004AS.

defiantly not…….

but again for the size/weight……sounds pretty good
Mr.Jace 10:43 PM - 2 June, 2015
I have another thought, I haven't ruled out my idea of buying two powered 15 subs to fit in my car. I was looking at the etx15p on the ev site. I noticed the bass response goes down low -3db @48hz, -10 db @40 hz. That's almost the same frequency as the subs I'm looking at. Is a safe to say I can get better performance from running these tops alone? Save time setting up and whatnot. Or is better with my elx112p with a pair of 15 subs I've mentioned above in my post? Any feedback would be appreciated
Joee 10:48 PM - 2 June, 2015
running tops….alone is never as good as running tops with a dedicated sub

if you have $2,600 to spend on two etx15p's….. look into the rcf evox 8 you can get two for that price & they sound/bass better than 15" on sticks
Mr.Jace 11:14 PM - 2 June, 2015
Yeah, I know subs are always better. I need to stop being lazy. Lol. The rcf highly likely will be my meal ticket. Thanks again.