DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

The Denon 3700's... WOW... And yes I'm A Denon Fanboy...

Dj K.Smith 7:50 PM - 23 January, 2009
www.denondjforums.com

Man tell me that these do not look and seem like they would be dope to spin on... When the price goes down, cause I am not paying that "fresh out of the box" price they might be my next set of decks... Your thoughts...
mle 7:55 PM - 23 January, 2009
Denon's new decks are great. I have the 5500's and plan on getting the 3700's to play with as well. Since they don't require a laptop, I use them to play music when we switch out DJ's on the 57.
StevenWayne 9:07 PM - 23 January, 2009
damm k, always looking into ways to spend more money
DJ Unique 4:26 AM - 25 January, 2009
I already pre-ordered 2 of these. I sold all my CD players so I could have space for these.
sixxx 4:32 AM - 25 January, 2009
I don't know why anyone would go gaga over a CD player.... any CD player.
DJ LTIZZZLE 5:17 AM - 25 January, 2009
I'll pass.. I got burned real bad from th 3500's. They keep over heating and Serato was doing some weird shit.
DJPNUT 8:25 AM - 25 January, 2009
Quote:
I'll pass.. I got burned real bad from th 3500's. They keep over heating and Serato was doing some weird shit.

MY 3500's only read Serato Control disk..

Weird
DJ Unique 8:34 AM - 25 January, 2009
My 3500's worked perfectly with Serato.
Also never had an over-heating problem.

Besides my 1200MK2 & 1210M5G
I've used the following CD Players without problems.
Denon D9000, S5000, S3500, S1000
Pioneer CDJ800, CDJ1000, CMX3000

Hated using the CMX3000 though.
For mobile work I mainly used the S5000's.
lvmez 2:01 PM - 25 January, 2009
if it was anyone else i would say don't get cd decks but, i've never seen anyone else beside ksmith rock cd decks like turntables before(no homo).
Dj K.Smith 2:41 AM - 26 January, 2009
Man these look dope... And with the extra size on the vinyl platter (7" to 9") it should be even better to control... My 3500's I got off ebay and have never overheated and have worked perfectly... No one sigle piece of equipment will be flawless hence so many different brands... I just think that these are pretty nice
DJ LTIZZZLE 3:25 AM - 26 January, 2009
i can't lie they do look dope. I like how they look like the Tech's.
DJ Unique 3:30 AM - 26 January, 2009
Quote:
i can't lie they do look dope. I like how they look like the Tech's.

They'll look dope right next to my M5G's. Check back with me next month & I'll let you know how they respond with Serato.
DJ LTIZZZLE 4:22 AM - 26 January, 2009
cool.. I'll be waiting on that report. I also have the MG5's..
Dj K.Smith 4:30 PM - 26 January, 2009
Yeah Unique detail that report so I can know whether or not I need to save up a few pennies man...
DJ Unique 2:09 AM - 27 January, 2009
They are supposed to be out the 3rd week of February.
I already pre-ordered with Cosmos in Hollywood.
Rebelguy 2:12 AM - 27 January, 2009
I am always amazed by all the preorders on Denon equipment. They almost always have some issues with the early units.
Dj K.Smith 5:06 AM - 27 January, 2009
I see you're in LA Unique... I might have to come through and session with you when you get those joints man, lol...
DJ_Gadabout 5:27 AM - 27 January, 2009
Quote:

+1 =]
DJ Unique 6:16 AM - 27 January, 2009
Quote:
I am always amazed by all the preorders on Denon equipment. They almost always have some issues with the early units.

I've heard of people complaining but I've never had a problem with their equipment. I guess the S3500 left a bad taste in a lot of people but I was not one of them. For mobiles it's much easier to carry CD players. Especially for me because I have way too many CDs that I have not yet ripped.
DJ Unique 6:17 AM - 27 January, 2009
Quote:
I see you're in LA Unique... I might have to come through and session with you when you get those joints man, lol...

No problem K Smith.
Maybe we can set up a So Cal multi-DJ Jam Session.
Dj K.Smith 4:55 PM - 27 January, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

No problem K Smith.
Maybe we can set up a So Cal multi-DJ Jam Session.

What we like to call a mini-jam... PM me your info kid...
Dj K.Smith 5:16 PM - 27 January, 2009
Quote:

To each his own amigo...
DJ GaFFle 6:36 PM - 27 January, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

To each his own amigo...

As far as I'm concern, K. Smith uses turntables... I can really tell the difference the way he spins on 'em. LoL
Dj K.Smith 6:47 PM - 27 January, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

To each his own amigo...

As far as I'm concerned, K. Smith uses turntables... I can really tell the difference the way he spins on 'em. LoL

Good looking out Gaffle... these new cdj's look like 12 anyway... I'm kinda anxious to play on them dude...
DJ Unique 4:23 AM - 31 January, 2009
DJ Sniffles 7:17 AM - 31 January, 2009
Half the dudes that knock cd players probably can't even scratch like that on their 12's.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 8:27 AM - 31 January, 2009
wonder how well it can handle Serato?
Dj K.Smith 6:23 PM - 31 January, 2009
That's video looks lke you can do a couple more scratches on them than the 35's...
4mydawgz 9:19 PM - 31 January, 2009
the only problem i really have with my 3500's is that some times the song will stop playing after 7 seconds. Don't know what that is about. But I just hit eject, and re-insert it real quick, and im back like i never left.
slimmjimm 12:50 AM - 1 February, 2009
OT about the 3700's but,

4mydawgz, I had the same problem with my 3500's, and I can't figure out why, but I noticed that it happened more often when I was switching back and forth between the tracks and would skip to track 2 and then quickly back to track 1. So I DL'd the control signal on the website, and took out track 2 in CD Architect. It seemed to solve the problem for me. Maybe you might want to give that a try unless you like to switch tracks with the control signal.

On Topic, the 3700's look nice and I can't wait to mess around with them.
4mydawgz 1:30 AM - 1 February, 2009
OK. That may be it. I don't intentionally switch between the tracks, but some times when I want to go back to the beginning of a song, i'll mistakenly switch tracks.
slimmjimm 5:58 PM - 1 February, 2009
Thats exactly what I meant in so many words. Give it a try.
OG Supernatural 9:20 PM - 3 February, 2009
@Unique... where did you pre order them from and what did you pay?

considering doing the pre order myself... thanks
Dj K.Smith 10:46 PM - 4 February, 2009
Wow an OG Supernatural sighting....
OG Supernatural 1:25 AM - 5 February, 2009
Ha... I be lurkin'

Makin' a decision if I should bust on the 3700s!
Dj K.Smith 2:52 AM - 5 February, 2009
Bust on some for me too... I'm good for it...
4mydawgz 3:00 AM - 5 February, 2009
Quote:
Thats exactly what I meant in so many words. Give it a try.

I found out what causes the stop. It happens when u cue the track then move the platter back and forth quickly. I found this out yesterday. it was happening like every 5 minutes.
matt212 6:01 PM - 5 February, 2009
Wow...an OG Supernatural and a K.Smith sighting in the same thread...
Dj K.Smith 12:39 AM - 6 February, 2009
Quote:

Hey Big Matt... What up with you homey? I started the thread man.. I still get my lurk on up in here... Where have you been? Ain't seen you in a cool minute...
djransom 10:52 PM - 6 February, 2009
Quote:

Preference Sixx. I no longer use CDJs, but I won't knock another DJs preference. It's the not the tool that makes the dj, it's the skill. Get it how you live.
OG Supernatural 12:24 AM - 8 February, 2009
Quote:

It's a street blazer sighting!!!
Laz219 1:46 AM - 8 February, 2009
So many buttons...

They do look pretty nice though.
BriChi 1:19 AM - 10 February, 2009
Quote:
So many buttons...

NICE! so you actually get what you pay for then, a deck that has a lot of things you can do with it like effects, loops, hot starts on the fly, etc.... not like the over priced cdj1000's that are STILL $1300 for a basic cd player, I think Pio needs to step there game up soon,
DJ LTIZZZLE 6:17 AM - 10 February, 2009
Quote:
I think Pio needs to step there game up soon,

Here we go again 0_o
Rebelguy 8:28 AM - 10 February, 2009
Quote:
I think Pio needs to step there game up soon,

Denon Fanboys say this everytime a new item comes out and they always end up getting shafted by yet another medicore Denon product. I bought into the Denon propaganda a few years back with the 5000s and and the DN-1500. What a total waste of money. The CD players were a joke with the stupid rubber band mods, slipping disc and constantly unable to read Cds that worked perfectly fine on a CDJ. Don't even get me started on the mixer and all it's shortcomings.
BriChi 1:11 PM - 10 February, 2009
I agree with ya rebelguy, those particular players sucked and so do some of the mixers, but I own the 5500's since they were released and prefer them WAY over the Pio decks, they are finally built more solid and stable, I had a bad run with pioneers 800's and 1000's so it left a bad taste for me
DJ LTIZZZLE 1:15 PM - 10 February, 2009
^ I got burned with the 3500's, so that's why i'm not jumping off the 1000's wagon.
BriChi 1:24 PM - 10 February, 2009
yeah LTIZZLE, I hear ya, i got burned by the cdj800's so I jumped to Denon 5500's and they have saved me, lol
Dj K.Smith 4:57 PM - 10 February, 2009
Well my 3500's are still going strong (knock on wood) and when my money gets up, I might make the jump to the 3700's... Right now I'm using all my gig cheese to erase my debt... So far so good man... I like dj'ing, lol...
Laz219 6:16 AM - 11 February, 2009
Fanboy types are just plain entertaining.

Particularly computer/video game console fanboys, will go to any length to make their chosen format better and completely ignore any legitimate criticism.

I am not biased either towards denon or pio's but I would actually take the 1000's over these denons purely because these denons look excessively complicated and I think it'd be pretty easy to hit the wrong button.
With the pioneers, I take their way of doing things as "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality.

More features aren't alway better, carefully and well implemented features are. Much like the way serato seems to be working with scratch live, people asking for so many new features that are mostly unnecessary. They just add the good stuff in and leave it relatively simple.
BriChi 1:06 PM - 11 February, 2009
Quote:
With the pioneers, I take their way of doing things as "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality.

right, but Pio can at least drop the price to a more reasonable amount, the 1000's are waaaaayyyyy overpriced compared to what's out today. Denon makes the 3700 and 5500 (which I had the 5500's) and they give you so much more like midi, plug in a usb external, etc...... and they are STILL cheaper then the 1000's

The denon decks are not that complicated, buttons that you "may" not use all the time are kinda out of the way. The only thing I can see ya not using is the effects, thats only 3 buttons added. The rest of the buttons are the same as what pio has but the denons are easier to use, On the Denon I don't need to hit a buttons 3 times just to set and use a hot start like the pio's, now that sucks when you want to set one quickly on the fly, Ill stick with Denon for that one.

And NO, i am not a denon fanboy, as a matter of fact, I just bought the Pio 800 rotary mixer which is SICK by the way
DJ GaFFle 2:57 PM - 11 February, 2009
Quote:
Bust a nut on me too... I'm good for it...

errrah... you may want to PM him on this.
DJ GaFFle 2:57 PM - 11 February, 2009
:-)
Dj K.Smith 4:09 PM - 11 February, 2009
Quote:
I am not biased either towards denon or pio's but I would actually take the 1000's over these denons purely because these denons look excessively complicated and I think it'd be pretty easy to hit the wrong button.

They mght look complicated but it's the platter size and the ability to hook up directly to them (ipod as backup, flash drives, etc...) that make 'em worth a try. I'm interested to spin on 'em to see how they are in comparison to the 35's... I've already developed a saving plan, lol...
BriChi 4:14 PM - 11 February, 2009
K.Smith, I think they are going to make the 3500's fell like toys, the 5500 in my opinion blew away the 3500's and now the 3700 looks even better
BriChi 4:14 PM - 11 February, 2009
fell=feel
n:deuce 5:10 PM - 11 February, 2009
my only reservation is that there is still no support for the spinning platter...so why give up my tech 12's, plus they are paid for.
Dj K.Smith 11:45 PM - 11 February, 2009
Quote:
K.Smith, I think they are going to make the 3500's fell like toys, the 5500 in my opinion blew away the 3500's and now the 3700 looks even better

The bigger platter should be a nicer touch because you do have to really focus on keeping your hand in a "good" spot on the 35's, lol.. $900 bucks though is a lot man... Damn!!! But the ease of just turning hem on and just about having a 12 in a cd deck is nice...
Dj K.Smith 11:46 PM - 11 February, 2009
Quote:
my only reservation is that there is still no support for the spinning platter...so why give up my tech 12's, plus they are paid for.

Don't give 'em up just double up. And when you do call me up so I can come over and mix on them, lol...
Laz219 7:22 AM - 12 February, 2009
I most likely just think they look complicated because i'm a vinyl user so I have something like..5 buttons?
Alixx J 12:03 PM - 12 February, 2009
they look pretty good from the videos, i have just sold my CDJ1000mk3's as i've got a feeling pioneer will drop something big soon and i wanted as much cash back on them as i could get... I had the denon 6000's and loved them.... Apart from the shitty buffer, you only had to move the platter back two full spins for the buffer to run out, VERY annoying, i take it these new denons have no buffere issues??
BriChi 1:03 PM - 12 February, 2009
Quote:
i take it these new denons have no buffere issues??

That is really a question for the denon forum but I can confirm that the 5500 has a pretty big buffer, especially with wave files, i think it unlimited on waves, or at least it feels that way
BriChi 8:42 PM - 16 February, 2009
UPDATE: My 2 3700's are pre-ordered. NICE! will post info when I receive them,
n:deuce 8:47 PM - 16 February, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

Don't give 'em up just double up. And when you do call me up so I can come over and mix on them, lol...

well, its a bit of a drive from cali to colorado. so if i strike it rich and can buy some i will just get you your own pair...how bout that!
DJ Unique 8:24 PM - 20 February, 2009
Hey K. Smith I just got a call & they have my S3700's. I'll pick them later and l'll try to be live late tonight on Stickam.com/djfernandounique
BriChi 9:34 PM - 20 February, 2009
Unique, mine are on order, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give us an update when u get them, I am dying to know how these are
djaction 9:37 PM - 20 February, 2009
how do I needle-drop with these?
BriChi 9:38 PM - 20 February, 2009
As far as I know, you cannot needle drop in LINE mode, only turntables can needle drop
4mydawgz 10:11 PM - 20 February, 2009
Quote:

rookie!
DJ_X_Trodinaire 10:43 PM - 20 February, 2009
Quote:

using serato = cue points
djaction 12:16 AM - 21 February, 2009
my humor is lost on you guys
Dj K.Smith 1:30 AM - 21 February, 2009
Quote:
Hey K. Smith I just got a call & they have my S3700's. I'll pick them later and l'll try to be live late tonight on Stickam.com/djfernandounique

Fa sho man... Make sure you hit me up when you go live... I"m gonna pm you my cell...
DJ Unique 3:40 AM - 21 February, 2009
OK cool.
I probably be on after 9pm.
Don't expect me to show off my non-existant scratching skills though.
LOL
BriChi 3:47 AM - 21 February, 2009
unique, can u post the video when u r done please? I am heading out now so Ill miss it live?
Dj K.Smith 4:19 AM - 21 February, 2009
You going live on your own page? And you do need to scratch a little bit to test out the deck man... LOL
DJ Unique 10:33 AM - 21 February, 2009
Damn Stickam did not save the 1st video where I was testing the buttons a bit.
Minimal scratchin' LOL.

Quick rundown.

This player is beautiful with it's 9" platter.
It's shipped with Black vinyl and I heard you can buy (I think) a Blue color. The vinyl is held in place with 2 small screws. (No more annoying broken clips like the S3500) None broke on me though.

Display is easy to read.

CD takes 3 seconds to load.
You have about 15 seconds of buffer when reversing/rewinding very fast.
Unlimited buffer when reversing/rewinding normal.
Will try later on USB flash drive and HD but most likely unlimited buffer.

Effects are exactly as I remember on the S3500.
Echo/Loop, Flanger, Filter, Brake, Dump, Reverse.
The reverse does reverse the platter.

3 Hot starts are easy to set and easier to clear.

1 loop is easy to use and can edit/trim both beginning (A) & end (B).
Easy to exit and instant re-loop and one button (press & hold) to clear.

Next track play from the same CD is still annoying like on the S3500.
You load the next track and you are commited to that track and in 10 secs it automatically loads, or you can press the play button for faster time. I need to figure if you can undo/uncommit to next track. I really don't use this so not a big deal for me though.

Pitch range changes immediately when you press it (be careful LOL).
(off, 6%, 10%, 16%, 100%)
No more 24%.
6% = .002 resolution
10% = .005 resolution
16% = .005 resolution
100% = 1.0 resolution

Quick Jump = same as S3500

Start/Stop & Cue button are in a good location and seem about the same feel as S3500. They are a bit flexible though and may be delicate for peeps with heavy/abusive fingers.

Tap (BPM) button seems pretty precise.

Platter can be adjusted to 33 or 45 rpm with a nice Red strobe on front.
There are three torque setting (High, Mid, Low).
I don't scratch so it's difficult to tell you what's best.
I do prefer the High torque setting though.
My bad scratching is equally bad in this player but very nice for a CD Player.
You need to get accustomed to the push/drag of the platter if you are more accustomed to 1200's. I was able to adjust pretty quick though. I started on 1200's, moved on to CD Players and became very comfortable with Denons (-+) pitch bend so I found myself using those as well. The platter does not act stupid like the S3500's when you force or stop it from the side. The most important thing though is that these players are in my opinion pretty close in emulating that real Vinyl feel. I think most that try them will like them.

I will try to post a video later using and abusing the buttons and settings and also with flash & hard drives.

For now you can see regular boring mixing on my Stickam site.
www.stickam.com

Cheers.
DJ LTIZZZLE 11:55 AM - 21 February, 2009
Good write up.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 2:46 PM - 21 February, 2009
thanks for the write up!

now the question is how good the 3700 when it is paired with serato?

drift?
lag?
these would determine if I would buy a pair
BriChi 3:20 PM - 21 February, 2009
Thank you for the write up
DJ LTIZZZLE 3:30 PM - 21 February, 2009
Quote:
thanks for the write up!

now the question is how good the 3700 when it is paired with serato?

drift?
lag?
these would determine if I would buy a pair

+1
Dj K.Smith 3:34 PM - 21 February, 2009
Stickam acted a damn fool on me last night... I got in the room and was quickly booted by their wack azz servers...
DJ LTIZZZLE 5:04 AM - 22 February, 2009
^You dj so bad..... ;-)
DJ_X_Trodinaire 5:49 AM - 22 February, 2009
Quote:
Stickam acted a damn fool on me last night... I got in the room and was quickly booted by their wack azz servers...

you should've showed some cleavage.... LOL
DJ Unique 12:06 PM - 22 February, 2009
I recorded another video explaining some of the functions. It was intended to go on YouTube but I guess it can't be longer than 10 mins. Oh well.
www.stickam.com
DJ_X_Trodinaire 3:30 PM - 22 February, 2009
i am hearing some 80s new wave LOL
DJ_X_Trodinaire 3:33 PM - 22 February, 2009
soooo slowww server
DJ_X_Trodinaire 3:39 PM - 22 February, 2009
i say no for me on the 3700

thanks for the vids!
DJ Unique 7:34 PM - 22 February, 2009
Quote:
i say no for me on the 3700

thanks for the vids!

I'm curious to know why.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 1:12 AM - 23 February, 2009
the slippage

i had all of the denon table tops and the slippage were their demise with serato ;)

i am no skratch dj but i do some simple beat juggling.
Dj K.Smith 2:39 AM - 23 February, 2009
He didn't have the audio curve of X... Don't give up on em yet...
matt212 2:42 AM - 23 February, 2009
What's the street price on these things?
BriChi 2:50 AM - 23 February, 2009
I think they are around $850-$900, agipro gave me a price of 850
DJ Unique 3:50 AM - 23 February, 2009
Hey X - I did have my "audio curve" on. I guess I'm supposed to have it off for Serato. I will try again and let you know. I know you will like them once you try them out. These players are pretty close to that real vinyl experience. I still use CD Players when doing mobiles. I have way too many CDs that I'll probably never have time to rip.

Too bad your not in LA. We could do a Serato DJ Mini Jam to test these players out. If we do one soon with K Smith then we can record so you can really see what these CD players can do with someone that scratches.
Dj K.Smith 5:15 AM - 23 February, 2009
Just let me know... No gig until 3/21 so I got plenty of time, lol... Unique you're not far from me dude... I'm down to roll...
OG Supernatural 11:16 PM - 23 February, 2009
Mine came today... looks like I'll be up all nite. lol
BriChi 11:21 PM - 23 February, 2009
LOL, DAMIT, where are mine?????

OG, can you let us know your opinion once you play a little?
Dj K.Smith 6:00 PM - 24 February, 2009
Quote:
Mine came today... looks like I'll be up all nite. lol

So what's your verdict OG?
DJ_X_Trodinaire 12:53 AM - 25 February, 2009
local guitar center has them in stock in maryland

if i have time i might swing by and check it out.
OG Supernatural 3:45 AM - 25 February, 2009
Working well so far with SSL... I need more time with them to really identify any issues.

I'm testing it side by side with the technics.

Scratch feel is VERY similar to a turntable: I may need to try a different slip mat or make one from a Butter rug.

No issues just a matter of getting used to.
OG Supernatural 4:45 PM - 25 February, 2009
Yep... put a different slip mat on and it's all to the good.
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 9:54 PM - 25 February, 2009
it's like a highschool reunion up in here :)

thanks i'm new
Dj K.Smith 10:41 PM - 25 February, 2009
Especially with you dropping in MC...
OG Supernatural 11:47 PM - 25 February, 2009
MIKE COQUILLA!!!! Whaaa... I thought you retired as a DJ and just give cha cha lessons now. lol
BIG C 2:38 AM - 26 February, 2009
wanted to buy em, but can't justify spending that type of money on them and all the features are in already in serato (I'm using the TTM57SL) so imma buy another dns-5000 i just found for $375.00 in mint condition and stick with those. TIRED OF LUGGING HEAVY TURNTABLES!!!
OG Supernatural 7:49 AM - 26 February, 2009
BIC C check your PM homey!
mikep 5:32 PM - 26 February, 2009
I'd love these more with native support, but in the absence of that can you map the controls and run internal? And what can be mapped, play, cue, controlling the platter??
DJ Unique 6:52 PM - 26 February, 2009
I was able to midi map a lot but spinning platter is not supported. The buttons are very precise.
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 7:22 PM - 26 February, 2009
heheh :)

www.pssl.com

man, i want ^^ (sorry for the thread jack yo :)
mikep 7:27 PM - 26 February, 2009
Quote:
I was able to midi map a lot but spinning platter is not supported. The buttons are very precise.

So does that mean you can't hold the platter or bend with the platter using midi? Or use the platter at all with midi?
DJ Unique 8:56 PM - 26 February, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

So does that mean you can't hold the platter or bend with the platter using midi? Or use the platter at all with midi?

No not yet. Not until Serato does native support.
marknonsense1 9:44 PM - 26 February, 2009
What do you guys think of these Vs. the CDJ-400s or CDJ-1000mk3s? Anyone know when pioneer will come out with another CDJ?
BriChi 12:48 AM - 27 February, 2009
these are 2 great videos, here are the links. Thank you Ty, great vids

Watchwww.youtube.com

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ_X_Trodinaire 1:31 AM - 27 February, 2009
any drift?

Quote:
Working well so far with SSL... I need more time with them to really identify any issues.

I'm testing it side by side with the technics.

Scratch feel is VERY similar to a turntable: I may need to try a different slip mat or make one from a Butter rug.

No issues just a matter of getting used to.
BriChi 1:40 AM - 27 February, 2009
no drift in the 2 videos i posted above
DJ Unique 1:57 AM - 27 February, 2009
Quote:
any drift?
Quote:

I haven't noticed any drift at all with normal use. I'm really loving these players more and more.
DJ Unique 1:57 AM - 27 February, 2009
Damn quote fail.
LOL

I haven't noticed any drift at all with normal use. I'm really loving these players more and more.
BriChi 2:05 AM - 27 February, 2009
mine arrive Tuesday, CAN'T WAIT, I may have to call in sick, LOL
OG Supernatural 3:28 AM - 28 February, 2009
Ha... I watched those vids BriChi and just like I told you, dragging the platter is tricky "It ain't no 1200". LOL

Other than that, I been scratchin the shit out of em (with SSL)and no issues... no drift to speak of.

Midi is on; however you can't use the platter... WTF. I don't get that!

Anyway... they are my new road dogs!
Dj K.Smith 3:30 AM - 28 February, 2009
Wow... I'm thinking of a master plan to get me some OG... I knew they would be dope man
OG Supernatural 7:05 AM - 28 February, 2009
Quote:
Wow... I'm thinking of a master plan to get me some OG... I knew they would be dope man

You will def love scratchin with them vs the 3500s. Come on up to Sac Town and jump on!
DJ_X_Trodinaire 7:52 AM - 28 February, 2009
hmmmmm
Dj K.Smith 4:39 PM - 28 February, 2009
Send me a ticket man and I'm there... OG Supernatural 1st class please...
OG Supernatural 5:08 PM - 28 February, 2009
Tell me when and I'll send the VIP Limo! =P
DJ Unique 11:32 PM - 28 February, 2009
Quote:
Send me a ticket man and I'm there... OG Supernatural 1st class please...

Hey K. Smith. Next week I don't have a gig. I'll be driving around LA on Saturday. If you'd like I can stop by your pad so you can test my S3700's. Let me know if you're available.
Dj K.Smith 4:35 AM - 1 March, 2009
I got a gig next Saturday Unique... If I didn't I woulda been on the way to your crib dude...
OG Supernatural 6:32 PM - 1 March, 2009
ok...dragging the platter with SSL officially sucks on the 3700s.
DJ LTIZZZLE 8:13 PM - 1 March, 2009
*puts Credit card away*
Kadilac 8:52 PM - 1 March, 2009
*deletes craigslist post selling CDJ's*
DJ LTIZZZLE 9:22 PM - 1 March, 2009
Quote:
*deletes craigslist post keeping CDJ's*

Now that's much better ;-)
DJ_X_Trodinaire 9:26 PM - 1 March, 2009
calls Guitar center to cancel LOL kidding
BriChi 11:18 PM - 1 March, 2009
OG, you should should complain on the Denon forum too, they can just update the firmware to improve it, if no one complains to them they wont know is "sucks"
djspontaneous 11:56 PM - 1 March, 2009
oh boy there the denon i know caant make rock solid
BriChi 12:26 AM - 2 March, 2009
Quote:

can you let us know how it "sucks",,,, is it that its non responsive sometimes, drags too much, to little, etc....
BriChi 12:28 AM - 2 March, 2009
Quote:
oh boy there the denon i know caant make rock solid

wow, u really hate them huh, on there forum and here
matt212 12:41 AM - 2 March, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

can you let us know how it "sucks",,,, is it that its non responsive sometimes, drags too much, to little, etc....

I guessing because you can't drag like the 1200's. The only CD player that got that part right so far is the CDX's.
BriChi 12:47 AM - 2 March, 2009
u should be able to drag similar to the 1200, its a similar rotating platter so there has to be more to this then "it sucks"
matt212 12:57 AM - 2 March, 2009
Nope...that's about it. lol

By looking at AGI's platter video, you can see that you have to have a butterfly touch to even slow the platter down without stopping the platter completely.
djspontaneous 1:02 AM - 2 March, 2009
hey fello mate i dont hate denon, but come on its a bit ironic that there problems
DJ Crazy Craig 1:03 AM - 2 March, 2009
So, just to get it straight, this is really about the ability to put pressure on the SIDE of the platter or the SPINDLE to slow down (temporarily bend) the platter speed? As I think was mentioned, this is just a factor of getting used to it for those that REALLY must continue to do a trick that was simply the ONLY way to achieve it on the 1200's. With a 9 inch platter, you are simply not going to have the same physical mass as a 12-inch 1200's platter. So, its going to require less pressure to achieve the same slowing.... There are far better and more precise ways of doing this on digital decks.
djspontaneous 1:05 AM - 2 March, 2009
man you have two days left before you get your wonderful decks huh brichi enjoy guy
matt212 1:13 AM - 2 March, 2009
Quote:
So, just to get it straight, this is really about the ability to put pressure on the SIDE of the platter or the SPINDLE to slow down (temporarily bend) the platter speed? As I think was mentioned, this is just a factor of getting used to it for those that REALLY must continue to do a trick that was simply the ONLY way to achieve it on the 1200's. With a 9 inch platter, you are simply not going to have the same physical mass as a 12-inch 1200's platter. So, its going to require less pressure to achieve the same slowing.... There are far better and more precise ways of doing this on digital decks.

Hahaha...he called it a trick.
BriChi 1:18 AM - 2 March, 2009
Quote:
man you have two days left before you get your wonderful decks huh brichi enjoy guy

yup, 2 more days, i cant wait, i will post my thoughts here too once i get them, the Denons have issues when released but they pan them out pretty quick with FW updates, just like any other company does when they release a new product, had the same issue with Pio800's and had to wait for a couple of fw updates to fix an issue I had, then after the update they just locked up a lot, along with my frineds too, do i gave up on Pio and went to Denons
DJ Crazy Craig 1:25 AM - 2 March, 2009
Quote:

Hahaha...he called it a trick.

Yup.... I came from the 1200's and all these things are acquired tricks/workarounds/whatever to achieve a nudge forward or back without having to ride the pitch slider. I don't recall seeing these nudge/bend "features" in the 1200 manual, so I called them tricks.....
stevie o 1:28 AM - 2 March, 2009
Quote:

agreed +100000000000

Cds are a dying format. Why would anyone use serato without technics boggles my mind. To each his own i guess. I have seen k smith dj many times and hes dope but would be 1000 times better with tts. The sound of a digital scratch made from cd players is torture to my ears

good times
BriChi 1:31 AM - 2 March, 2009
the scratch coming from serato is the same whether you use an TT or cd player to scratch with.

Yes, if you are scratching regular a vinyl song vs a regular cd without ssl being part of it then yes I agree 10000%
matt212 1:32 AM - 2 March, 2009
Quote:
Yup.... I came from the 1200's and all these things are acquired tricks/workarounds/whatever to achieve a nudge forward or back without having to ride the pitch slider. I don't recall seeing these nudge/bend "features" in the 1200 manual, so I called them tricks.....

touche...but I've never seen a 1200 that was meant for DJing, so of course it wouldn't be in the manual. =P
BriChi 1:34 AM - 2 March, 2009
so then it is a trick or workaround, LOL
djspontaneous 1:40 AM - 2 March, 2009
man i luv this
DJ Crazy Craig 2:24 AM - 2 March, 2009
I've been putting a pair of 3700's through the wringer for 5 days now and haven't run into a single issue. CD, USB (flash and HDD), and Serato (w/ timecode on flash)... I will admit that some of Denon's earlier releases had some out-of-the-gate problems, and some were pretty awful (even the intermittent 7 second lockup issue mentioned above on my 3500's to this day), but they appear to have learned from those mistakes of rushing things to market. The 3700's are rock solid. I've had a number of my fellow radio mixshow and club DJ's come by the house and play with them... most are using 1200's or CDJ's currently, and they all have fallen in love with these decks. Will they all switch? Of course not... but, the doubters should at least get their hands on a pair somewhere and give them a spin.
Kadilac 2:44 AM - 2 March, 2009
Quote:

It does have some fantastic features that could make it the best CD player on the market, so I can understand the hoopla. Personally the 9" spinning platter is what I have been waiting for, more compact than TT's without being too small like a MIDI controller (still waiting on the verdict on NS7). I'm thinking about getting just one, to go with my 57 (instant doubles:)

Quote:

Cds are a dying format. Why would anyone use serato without technics boggles my mind. To each his own i guess. The sound of a digital scratch made from cd players is torture to my ears

I agree Serato was invented to work with TT's, however it does work well with CDJ's and it allows you to manage your library.
I know I can tell the difference between someone using Serato with TT's or CDJ's, the sound is noticably different. I think the smaller platter and range of motion has something to do with it. Most scratches sound digital and choppy and not well defined.

Just my 1 cent (it's a recession)
BriChi 2:47 AM - 2 March, 2009
Quote:
I know I can tell the difference between someone using Serato with TT's or CDJ's

U mean in sound quality or performance? I don't understand how the sound quality can be different whether u are using a cd player or TT, Serato is still playing the sam song through the same sl1 or ttm57, the control method should not effect the sound quality
Kadilac 3:02 AM - 2 March, 2009
^^ Only when scratching,
not general sound quality of playing a song.
BriChi 3:03 AM - 2 March, 2009
Gotcha!
DJ LTIZZZLE 3:46 AM - 2 March, 2009
1210 MG5's=FTW.. Oh and CDJ1000's>Denon's(no Brichi)

LOL
BriChi 3:53 AM - 2 March, 2009
LOL
DENON 4:04 AM - 2 March, 2009
Quote:

djspontaneous, I read that you switched out our official slipmat with yours.
This may alter the player’s performance with "dragging".

How does it feel with the original one?
How’s about using the two other “bend’ methods, pitch bend keys and platter bend mode?
BriChi 4:09 AM - 2 March, 2009
Also, Can't you adjust the torque too on the platter, that will effect the bend too correct?
kalibhakta 4:09 AM - 2 March, 2009
I'd love to play with mixing CD's but I cannot drop money into any unnecessary (for me) toys right now.

is Denon normally good for CDJs?
BriChi 4:15 AM - 2 March, 2009
Quote:
is Denon normally good for CDJs?

IMO,,, Since the release of the HS5500, Yes, the Denon cd/media players are fantastic
DJ Unique 5:25 AM - 2 March, 2009
Quote:

Have you tried dragging the platter with a regular CD?

For me the platter did not respond the same as the 1200's but much much better than previous Denon players. I adjusted by pressing Serato's key adjust and dragging/pushing the platter softer than the 1200's.
OG Supernatural 8:43 AM - 2 March, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

How’s about using the two other “bend’ methods, pitch bend keys and platter bend mode?

Well... dragging on the 3700 is nothing like a 1200. I've tried to get used to the feel but there is no feel. Meaning you really can't (or at least I can't)slow the platter down without stopping it... once I apply enough pressure to the platter to slow it down it stops. All or noting...

Same goes for twisting the spindle to speed it up... once I get it to start moving... to late, just jumped forward too far.

Yeah... I put a plastic record sleeve under the slip mat because it was too "grabby" for me. Backspin felt like I was starting a lawn mower. I tried dragging the platter with the stock slip mat and the modified slip mat... no difference as I recall. I'll take the plastic sleeve out again and give it another go.
OG Supernatural 8:47 AM - 2 March, 2009
BTW... tried dragging using both SSL and CD with same results.
OG Supernatural 8:49 AM - 2 March, 2009
Quote:
these are 2 great videos, here are the links. Thank you Ty, great vids

Watchwww.youtube.com

Watchwww.youtube.com

Actually, my experience is just like Ty's in the vid, when he says it ain't no 1200.
djspontaneous 11:44 AM - 2 March, 2009
oh snaps its going down up in here
djspontaneous 11:52 AM - 2 March, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

now denon i do not own s3700 i own the hs5500 ,and i change the official slipmat with a glowtronic slipmatt not my own ,and im not the one with the dragging problem ,i have cue slippage ,wow i smell a rat over here brichi
BriChi 1:48 PM - 2 March, 2009
Quote:
wow i smell a rat over here brichi

First off, what the fuck are u talking about! Dont accuse me of shit I am not doing you miserable asshole. All you do is come on forums to complain about equipment, Not try and help people or be useful like the forums are made for

I know Sil checks these forums just as much as the rest of us especially when the Denon products are involved in the thread, same as Pulse from Pioneer who responds on Denons forums and here also.

Yes Silvio and I were talking last night and I mentioned that some people were complaining about drag issues and I was concerned because mine are on order, I pointed him to a couple of threads to help him out in trying to figure out what is going on, Again, THIS IS CALLED BEING HELPFUL ON FORUMS, Not being a rat. Your name was not even mentioned and like u said, u r not even the one having the problem.

I come on this forum and Denons to help everyone out as much as I can, I have been on this forum for many years, since Serato 1.0 and everyone on here who knows me knows I am a calm, helpful person, So I am not just gonna sit here and let some """"pissed off at Denon"""" guy call me a rat when all I try and do is help people out.

Wy don't you sell the 5500's that you do not like, buy some pioneers and be a little bitch over on there forums
DJ LTIZZZLE 2:00 PM - 2 March, 2009
^^This is true.. Brichi has helped many and he is a cool dude..

but please don't buy Pioneers CDJs They are not good for anything. ;-)
djspontaneous 2:23 PM - 2 March, 2009
whatever ,i wonder why dude caught feeling for ,we spoke in the pass about some issues ,i thought dude was cool i have nothing personal against this dude, now hes turning it into something else ,the power of opinion,im not the only 1 complaining about the denon decks, and you can clearly see that i have nothing against dude or i would have replied to that b.... comment he made ,so im going to fall back im going to let that slide peace son, sorry u feel the way you do
BriChi 3:27 PM - 2 March, 2009
listen spontaneous, an opinion about deck is one thing, but calling out people and saying I am a rat is another when you do not have any proof, Like I ran back to Silvio saying, oooh oooh people are talking bad about denons, He came here and I simply to help. I was the biggest Denon hater in the owrld 2 years ago when I had a really bad run with the 4500 dual cd players and the 3500's, i didnt come on here though and call people names and trash the players, i simply came on here and warned people that I was having the issues and hopefully Denon will fix them.

... I like getting along with everyone, I am not looking to start a war, u said your peace, I said mine, I did not rat on anything, Lets just leave it at that and move along to what this thread was made for. If you need help or have questions u know u can PM me here or on the Denon forum like u have in the past.

At LTIZZLE, LOL again, I have one of my 800's holding a bedroom door open cause the door slowly closes automatically, so they are still good for something, :)
Zion-Prayz 6:14 PM - 2 March, 2009
That's too bad. Maybe if my CDJ-800s ever break I may take a look at the 3900s when they come out : D
OG Supernatural 6:43 PM - 2 March, 2009
You are right BriChi, I need to go over to the Denon forum and discuss this as well. These decks would be the shit if they could get the drag worked out.
BriChi 7:44 PM - 2 March, 2009
Cool OG, even a video would help showing them what is going on if u r able to shoot one quick.
Dj K.Smith 9:29 PM - 2 March, 2009
Quote:
I have seen K. Smith (my idol) dj many times and hes dope but would be 1000 times better with tts. The sound of a digital scratch made from cd players is torture to my ears...

Thanks Stevie O... But these decks looks like winners man... This is sounding like an argument over any competing products... Honda vs. Toyota, beef vs. turkey, hot dog vs. hot link... Just saying, lol... I use cdj's because of the ease in which I can just power on and go... No grounding, balancing tonearms, etc... I had tt's when I started and got back into dj'ing... I still mess around with them from time to time but for my "gigs" I like cdj's... Someone have ajammy jam so we can bring out the 37's and put them next to the Techs... Let's see some of you hardcore cats at least try them with no biases...
Dj K.Smith 9:31 PM - 2 March, 2009
Dragging shouldn't be the be all end all reason a deck isn't purchased... For real?!?!?!
stevie o 10:38 PM - 2 March, 2009
Smith I used denons with serato and I got nausious and almost threw up.
automagp68 12:35 AM - 3 March, 2009
lol wow this post is fire!!!!

Someone explain what the hell is a drag is for a non scratch guy!

Thanks
DJ Unique 1:04 AM - 3 March, 2009
Quote:
Dragging shouldn't be the be all end all reason a deck isn't purchased... For real?!?!?!

I agree.
You just need to be more gentle on them than the 1200's. Or you can always turn off the spinning platter and bend similar to the 1000MK1-2-3, use the (+ -) pitch bend buttons or even better, ride the pitch.

Quote:

Drag = Drag the platter to temporarily slow down your track.
matt212 1:13 AM - 3 March, 2009
Quote:

To tell you the truth...I'm probably gonna get a pair myself. It would have just been nice to be able to manipulate the spinning platter like a 1200. I'm using CDJ800's on the road right now and that doesn't even have a spinning platter, so it not a deal killer for me. As far as CD players, I've had the 5000's, 3500's, HDX's and the CDJ800's. The HDX's (CDX) has had the best feel identical to an analog TT. I think it's just the one thing that would have made the 3700's the "Can't say shit bad about these" CD players.

Just my thoughts...
AKIEM 2:09 AM - 3 March, 2009
not hating on Denon, but why the fuck cant anyone build a deck that feels like a 1200, or like one of the other good turntables???
OG Supernatural 3:12 AM - 3 March, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

I agree.
You just need to be more gentle on them than the 1200's. Or you can always turn off the spinning platter and bend similar to the 1000MK1-2-3, use the (+ -) pitch bend buttons or even better, ride the pitch.

Quote:

Drag = Drag the platter to temporarily slow down your track.

+ - is not to cool on these either (maybe it's just me)... these decks are supposed to have the feel of a TT and for those of us who use both it would be nice to get a similar result when dragging the platter to make those fine adjustments to keep the mix in pocket...
DENON 5:44 AM - 3 March, 2009
Quote:
+ - is not to cool on these either (maybe it's just me)... these decks are supposed to have the feel of a TT and for those of us who use both it would be nice to get a similar result when dragging the platter to make those fine adjustments to keep the mix in pocket...

OG, yes these player feel like analog decks in many ways, but there are some limitations with the platter as its not an analog turntable.

There are 4-ways to pitch bend on this deck.
-Bend Buttons
-Bend by platter, non spin mode (like a CDJ)
-Bend by finger pressure along side the platter
-Bend by squeezing the spindle while spinning

As a DJ for the last 25-years who learned on wax, I was that same guy who poked at the SL1200 analog platter to make subtle pitch adjustments, (side and spindle). Today, in a digital player world I can’t tell how valuable the “pitch bend” buttons have become to keep my long mixes on beat, especially those offbeat Disco records. Because the pitch buttons are true 1 to 1 in response, there is no guess work of how strong or long to hold a platter with your finger. You hear it and feel your way through the mix as if the platter was part of your fingers using the Bend buttons. The learning curve was a snap for me and should be the same for everyone. You just got to try it to understand this great alternate method.

Here’s my honest opinion about each bend mode that the S3700 offers;

-Bend Buttons > Love ‘em, cant live without them

-Bend by platter, non spin mode (like a CDJ) > I rarely use mode as it does not provide me with enough control. (its like guessing in the dark) but if you’re a CDJ user, it should feel the same.

-Bend by finger pressure along side the platter > I will use this occasionally with hard disco records featuring live bands, but it feels 95% close to a 1200.

-Bend by squeezing the spindle while spinning> I would not recommend this method since the spindle is directly connected to the sensors, thus its sensitive nature.

All the best...
AKIEM 6:05 AM - 3 March, 2009
Denon, when are you going to drop a 12" platter that feels 98.78% like a 1200??
OG Supernatural 4:09 PM - 3 March, 2009
Quote:

OG, yes these player feel like analog decks in many ways, but there are some limitations with the platter as its not an analog turntable.

There are 4-ways to pitch bend on this deck.
-Bend Buttons
-Bend by platter, non spin mode (like a CDJ)
-Bend by finger pressure along side the platter
-Bend by squeezing the spindle while spinning

As a DJ for the last 25-years who learned on wax, I was that same guy who poked at the SL1200 analog platter to make subtle pitch adjustments, (side and spindle). Today, in a digital player world I can’t tell how valuable the “pitch bend” buttons have become to keep my long mixes on beat, especially those offbeat Disco records. Because the pitch buttons are true 1 to 1 in response, there is no guess work of how strong or long to hold a platter with your finger. You hear it and feel your way through the mix as if the platter was part of your fingers using the Bend buttons. The learning curve was a snap for me and should be the same for everyone. You just got to try it to understand this great alternate method.

Here’s my honest opinion about each bend mode that the S3700 offers;

-Bend Buttons > Love ‘em, cant live without them

-Bend by platter, non spin mode (like a CDJ) > I rarely use mode as it does not provide me with enough control. (its like guessing in the dark) but if you’re a CDJ user, it should feel the same.

-Bend by finger pressure along side the platter > I will use this occasionally with hard disco records featuring live bands, but it feels 95% close to a 1200.

-Bend by squeezing the spindle while spinning> I would not recommend this method since the spindle is directly connected to the sensors, thus its sensitive nature.

All the best...

Thanks for the response, please tell me there will be some work done on "bend by platter"...

Hopefully there will be different options available for the spindle. The stock spindle has the Denon logo engraved in it and it's uncomfortable to have it nick/scrape when grabbing. Need Denon logo band-aids for my fingers now. =P

There are many notable good things about the deck but so far "bend by platter" is my biggest issue. Many of us use TTs and want that bend by platter feel. I have 1200s in the studio and at the club... how nice would it be to be able to have a similar feel with the 3700s (mobile gigs) by using the platter the same way without having to get on the + -... food for thought
djspontaneous 4:51 PM - 3 March, 2009
damn i thought these are just like analog tts feel ,wow denon you didnt say anything about limitation on the denon forum ,for a min i thought i was crazy ,i really hope they can fix that bend problem via firmware i really do .denon do me a favor and take your time with this deck thank you
DENON 7:55 PM - 3 March, 2009
Quote:
Thanks for the response, please tell me there will be some work done on "bend by platter"...

There was a significant amount of work that was already done "over" the S3500 in this area which should be noted.
-larger platter 7” to > 9” (adds more inertia, better platter bend)
-digital servo controlled direct drive motor (removes slippage, adds accuracy)
-higher torque motor (with 3 levels of adjustment)
-accurate platter strobe
-new easy installation type disc (no c-clamps to break)
-real vinyl record included (for real touch/feel)

Quote:
Hopefully there will be different options available for the spindle. The stock spindle has the Denon logo engraved in it and it's uncomfortable to have it nick/scrape when grabbing. Need Denon logo band-aids for my fingers now. =P

None are planned at this time, but I would say to lift you fingers higer up the spindle to avoid scraping.

Quote:
There are many notable good things about the deck but so far "bend by platter" is my biggest issue. Many of us use TTs and want that bend by platter feel.

Yep, I'm one of those guys too.
Like I said, you really need to give the BEND buttons a fair chance as they respond better than the old fashion way of platter touch…I did and love it and find it easier to manipulate.
In the end, the player does offer what you’re looking to do, which is “BEND” to beat match. Its just a matter learning the new tools at hand which support the old ones inherent to new technology.
AKIEM 8:13 PM - 3 March, 2009
I can t imagine buttons giving the feedback that touching the platter does.

Denon, why does it seem like you (and others) are so reluctant to make a full 12" plater??
DENON 8:51 PM - 3 March, 2009
Quote:

Yep they do and I can contest to that coming from a pure vinyl upbringing.

Quote:
Denon, why does it seem like you (and others) are so reluctant to make a full 12" plater??

1. Size
2. Weight

We made a good compromise = 9” and -10lbs lighter than a S1200
DENON 8:52 PM - 3 March, 2009
Make that, SL1200
OG Supernatural 9:13 PM - 3 March, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

The preference would be to have the plater bend/drag be as acurate as you describe the buttons to be. Huge selling point.

DENON... again, thanks for the response; however it appears from your answer on plater bend that it is what it is and no improvements will be made?
AKIEM 9:50 PM - 3 March, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

1. Size
2. Weight

We made a good compromise = 9” and -10lbs lighter than a S1200

But the buttons cant give you feedback, you cant touch the speed.

If size and weight were such a big issue the 1200 would have been long gone. But its still here. If you made an uncompromising deck as close to a 1200(real deck) you would have a standard. Thousands of DJs want to do one thing, switch from analog to digital, and nothing else. Its the reason 1200 are still standard instillation, expected to be installed and expected on the rider. There are a million portable solution while the 1200 remains a standard. The ultimate in portability is a standard already waiting for you when you arrive. There is no need to compromise, you can still get the weight way down, no sound issues. And you can still get the size down, no tone arm.

Once these companies get their shit straight, deal with the basic elements - forget about the blinking lights and start at the foundation - 12 inch tank, we will all be looking back on the the DVS like why were we even stuck there so long. Its a transition. But a good transition keeps the good shit and leaves the rest.

Denon, all you guys are doing is inching toward a 1200 like solution, hoping at each step that vinyl users will give in. Just get to the freaking finish.

sorry to rant in this thread, Im not trying to take it over
just go here:
serato.com
www.scratchlive.net
www.scratchlive.net
J.J. 10:15 PM - 3 March, 2009
Was on vinyl for 10 years. Denon equipment for the last 8 years.

The pitch bend buttons are far more precise than your inconsistent finger pressure.

I still spin vinyl with my 1200's, but I wish they had pitch bend. I feel like I have to babysit the mix with constant adjustments to the pitch compared. The 1200 turntable was never designed to pitch bend. If it didn't use a brushless direct drive platter, they would break. Pitch adjust by platter/spindal has always been inaccurate. Plus the side of the platter gets all worn from your hands over time. I once let another DJ use my tables, and he licked his fingers after every adjustment...GROSS.

My only gripe with this unit (DN-S3700) is no SSL Native Support thanks to Akiem. But like Akiem, I still want a 12" platter. However, it has been done by Numark and it failed.
AKIEM 10:27 PM - 3 March, 2009
Did the Numark HDX and CDX fail because they were 'too big' ?
or was it other shit like performance, price and compatibility ?
DENON 11:08 PM - 3 March, 2009
Quote:
The preference would be to have the plater bend/drag be as acurate as you describe the buttons to be. Huge selling point.

We did, the result is what you are seeing in the S3700.
The S3700 has many great selling points as a modern Digital Media Turntable.
DENON 11:11 PM - 3 March, 2009
Quote:
The pitch bend buttons are far more precise than your inconsistent finger pressure.

Thanks for solidifying what I said about the Bend buttons.
People just need to try them to understand.
DENON 11:13 PM - 3 March, 2009
Quote:
Did the Numark HDX and CDX fail because they were 'too big' ?
or was it other shit like performance, price and compatibility ?

I think all of the above.
J.J. 11:22 PM - 3 March, 2009
Well, every mobile jock I talked to said the HDX/CDX were to big for mobile. I personal don't care for Numark. They are innovative, but there build quality is the SUXOR.

I cannot stand the layout of of the new NS7. They went from 12" to 7". In my opinion, the thing is very ugly and the ergonomics are no good. Wait 6 months for a huge price drop. Plus if your laptop goes down, you can't put in a CD or USB.

BRING ON NATIVE SUPPORT FOR THE DN-S3700 SERATO!
Kadilac 11:37 PM - 3 March, 2009
Quote:

Wait 6 months for a huge price drop.

Wow I just said that here> www.scratchlive.net

Quote:

Plus if your laptop goes down, you can't put in a CD or USB.

Negative, it has a CD player input/thru.
Laz219 11:46 PM - 3 March, 2009
If your gonna make a CD player the same size as a tech 1200, why not just use techs?
matt212 11:55 PM - 3 March, 2009
Quote:
If your gonna make a CD player the same size as a tech 1200, why not just use techs?

I think K.Smith said it above...
Quote:
I use cdj's because of the ease in which I can just power on and go... No grounding, balancing tonearms, etc..
AKIEM 1:53 AM - 4 March, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

I think K.Smith said it above...
Quote:
I use cdj's because of the ease in which I can just power on and go... No grounding, balancing tonearms, etc..

And bringing the library, loops, cues and such control to the deck is good.

I cant see what business a NS7 has in a club. weddings sure. glueing the decks to the mixer = not good
OG Supernatural 5:33 AM - 4 March, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

We did, the result is what you are seeing in the S3700.
The S3700 has many great selling points as a modern Digital Media Turntable.

Bah... unfortunately your not trying to understand the lack of feel on the platter drag/bend issue and diverting your response to "accurate button bend" and other "great selling points"...
BriChi 1:11 PM - 4 March, 2009
Well I received mine last night, Didn't play to much because I had to rebuild the whole coffin to fit a 12" mixer instead of a 10", then put in and neatly wire all decks, mixer and all Serato cables, with that, Some lights in the other side of my house just went off for no reason even though the circuit breaker didn't pop, so needless to say I had to tear myself away from the 3700's to work on my house issue which sucked.

Anyway, First impressions out of the box is WOW, these things look sick, feel great and are built rock solid. I played a little with hot starts and auto loop and they are very very accurate, so far no sticker drift, the pitch bend using platter is similar to what OG was saying, but I use the buttons a lot, or simply nudge the vinyl forward to bend, OR, turn of the rotation for a little bit and bend like a Pio 1000 or 800.

Again, Only messed with them for a little bit but so far so good, I will test A LOT more tonight and give a better review
Dj K.Smith 1:16 PM - 4 March, 2009
I'm jealous, lol... I say DENON sends me a "test" pair right fellas? lol
BriChi 1:56 PM - 4 March, 2009
Absolutely!!! LOL
DENON 2:00 PM - 4 March, 2009
Quote:
Bah... unfortunately your not trying to understand the lack of feel on the platter drag/bend issue and diverting your response to "accurate button bend" and other "great selling points"...

As mentioned, we did our best in this area.
The S3700 is not an analog turntable, but it does emulate one extremely well with a few exceptions. If squeezing the spindle for bend reaction is a high requirement on your list, then the player is not for you, but you will be missing out big time because this player has so much to offer…and other 3 other Bend solutions are available.
matt212 2:12 PM - 4 March, 2009
Don't you mean 4 other Bend solutions...you forgot to include the "Bend Over" solution. lol

Just playing...I'm going to order mine within the next two weeks.
Dj K.Smith 5:31 PM - 4 March, 2009
Quote:
As mentioned, we did our best in this area.

Doing your best would be to send K. Smith a "test" pair or at least let me audition to be a DENON dj... =)
OG Supernatural 11:06 PM - 4 March, 2009
Quote:
Don't you mean 4 other Bend solutions...you forgot to include the "Bend Over" solution. lol

Yes... they have mastered the "feel" on that one.
Certified Quality Entertainment 11:29 PM - 4 March, 2009
lol
Dj K.Smith 11:38 PM - 4 March, 2009
I'm going to start a thread to get sponsored by Denon... Ineed all of you to come in and support me...

Denon needs a mobile dj on their team with dreads... Come Silvio, hook a brother up, lol...
BriChi 11:39 PM - 4 March, 2009
K. Smith, ill vote for ya, LOL
Dj K.Smith 11:43 PM - 4 March, 2009
Ok Bri, go to my new thread... I see you over there on the Denon boards as well... Help ya boy out man... LOL
BriChi 11:55 PM - 4 March, 2009
you got it
BriChi 11:56 PM - 4 March, 2009
Hey, here are some pics of my coffin finished with all the new toys

innovationevent.com
innovationevent.com
innovationevent.com
innovationevent.com
Dj K.Smith 11:59 PM - 4 March, 2009
Quote:

innovationevent.com
innovationevent.com
innovationevent.com
innovationevent.com

Don't pour salt on an open wound Bri, lol... I don't have them yet...
BriChi 12:01 AM - 5 March, 2009
LOL, sorry.... this will give you ambition to fight for them
Dj K.Smith 12:03 AM - 5 March, 2009
I need support y'all... Please go here so Denon can see how hard I rep for them on here...

scratchlive.net
mle 12:38 AM - 5 March, 2009
Damn it... I always say to myself that I'm set. No need for any more equipment. Then you guys have to go and post pics to make me jealous. Damn you BriChi! Ordering a pair tonight :P Sigh, does that mean I have to get another 57 as well...
BriChi 12:39 AM - 5 March, 2009
LOL,,, of course it does
OG Supernatural 1:10 AM - 5 March, 2009
BriChi... so what do you think man. Looks like you will have to get used to the bend button??
Laz219 1:14 AM - 5 March, 2009
It never ends, there's always something else you'll want.
BriChi 1:47 AM - 5 March, 2009
Quote:
BriChi... so what do you think man. Looks like you will have to get used to the bend button??

yeah, ill get used to it, i can still platter bend a little and nudge forward for some bend ing
OG Supernatural 3:25 AM - 5 March, 2009
Fanboy...lol
BriChi 3:30 AM - 5 March, 2009
lol, Hey, I love the decks
Dj K.Smith 4:39 AM - 5 March, 2009
SUPPORT K. SMITH!!!!! Go here to place your support in my thread... I want to be a Denon Dj (for real)...

scratchlive.net
DJ Unique 6:01 AM - 5 March, 2009
Quote:

innovationevent.com
innovationevent.com
innovationevent.com
innovationevent.com

Very nice BriChi.
Welcome to the S3700 club.
LOL.

Give us your honest opinion on these players.
I DJ'd an 8 hour gig in BelAir this Saturday and no problems.
BriChi 1:29 PM - 5 March, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

innovationevent.com
innovationevent.com
innovationevent.com
innovationevent.com

Very nice BriChi.
LOL.

Give us your honest opinion on these players.
I DJ'd an 8 hour gig in BelAir this Saturday and no problems.

Thank you! Glad to be in....

So far I lvoe them, i have not used them live yet, i have 3 - 4 hour gigs this weekend so they will be abused which will be nice, it'll be a good test. I will report back on Sunday night or Monday morning and let everyone know how I made out. As for now, I have copied all my music to an external and created a DB in the player so that all ran smooth, its a good back up in case shit goes wrong with the laptop, i know I can just plug the external into a 3700 and go, I just need to pick up anothe external so I have one for each deck.

The only thing I need to do I think is find a better slipmat, I think the one that comes with it makes the vinyl a little tighter then I like it to be compared to the 1200's i used to use, I wish I had those slipmats still, I could used them for the 3700's. Anyway, other then that, the decks are the nicest Denon has put out yet
djspontaneous 2:59 PM - 5 March, 2009
ah man this dude about to go in my pocket again,6,000 dollars in denon turntable decks , its tme to go see steve at rock and soul music for a pair of those ill looking turntable ,lets see i have to find a spot for them i have the s5000,hs5500,and now im going to get the s3700,thanks dudes for ur honest opinions i really like og opinion ,but if platter bend is all that wrong with the player im in
BriChi 3:12 PM - 5 March, 2009
Quote:
but if platter bend is all that wrong with the player im in

So far, that is the only issue i see too, the platter bend is not exactly like a 1200, it almost seems like using the platter bend is all or nothing when u touch, either you get no result or to much
OG Supernatural 3:36 PM - 5 March, 2009
Quote:

The only thing I need to do I think is find a better slipmat, I think the one that comes with it makes the vinyl a little tighter then I like it to be compared to the 1200's i used to use, I wish I had those slipmats still, I could used them for the 3700's. Anyway, other then that, the decks are the nicest Denon has put out yet

BriChi

As mentioned, we did our best in the slip mat area.
The S3700 is not an analog turntable, but it does emulate one extremely well with a few exceptions. If the feel of vinyl and a good slip mat is a high requirement on your list, then the player is not for you, but you will be missing out big time because this player has so much to offer… get used to it and do not make suggestions on how to improve these already improved decks. Its just a matter learning the new tools at hand which support the old ones inherent to new technology.

If you do not like the stock slip mats and they feel too "tight" for you perhaps you should renew your gym membership. These new slip mats are true in response, and are made of very exotic imported materials. Until you become stronger you may have to adjust your stance a bit when trying to backspin. The learning curve was a snap for me and should be the same for everyone. You just got to try it to understand this great alternate method.

OG DENON

=P
Dj K.Smith 3:59 PM - 5 March, 2009
LOL... I need a Denon sponsorship bad man... I wanna cut on these decks...
BriChi 4:03 PM - 5 March, 2009
LOL OG that was funny shit man
DJ Unique 6:51 PM - 5 March, 2009
Quote:
LOL... I need a Denon sponsorship bad man... I wanna cut on these decks...

LOL.
I voted for you.
Can I vote twice.

Too bad you have a gig this Saturday. If you did not, I was ready to go over your house so you could try out my S3700's. Next available Saturday will be March 28. Somone set up a Mini Jam in West Covina. My house is too small to set one up.
Dj K.Smith 8:04 PM - 5 March, 2009
I got a gig on the 28th too Unique... April is wide open as of now so maybe we can link up then...
djspontaneous 11:46 PM - 5 March, 2009
hey you can go to guitar center and try them out i did today,and boy the slipdisks feel funny to me but atleast i didnt notice clue slip thats whats up ,i thought the deck had three torque setting i only notice bend ,classic turntable ,and those auto loops are the bomb son nice decks but i think im going to stay on my four players for now
BriChi 11:57 PM - 5 March, 2009
it does have 3 torque settings, its in the menu, high, medium and low
BIG C 12:00 AM - 6 March, 2009
imma stick to my s5000's, but if i were spinning strictly with cds, i would've got me a pair. can't use none of the other features with serato. the bigger platter really ain't a big deal to me.
djspontaneous 9:21 PM - 7 March, 2009
[URL=s22.photobucket.com][IMG]i22.photobucket.com[/IMG][/URL]
[URL=s22.photobucket.com][IMG]i22.photobucket.com[/IMG][/URL]yeah i guess im gonna make this work for me for a lil while
Dj K.Smith 9:12 PM - 8 March, 2009
Damn dude... You got a helluva setup...
OG Supernatural 10:54 PM - 11 March, 2009
Anyone got the colored discs yet...WHOOT!
BriChi 10:58 PM - 11 March, 2009
no, I am waiting for AGI to get them so I can order
Dj K.Smith 11:26 PM - 11 March, 2009
So how are you guys liking them? OG, have you been cutting it up kid?
OG Supernatural 11:49 PM - 11 March, 2009
Yeah man, they are nice to work with... the bigger platter allows me to pull of scratchs I left alone on the older Denon 5000s.

Yeah, I was dissapointed that I couldn't platter drag as I do on the 1200s but... it is what it is and I'm getting used to the buttons.

I modified my case and it's all to the good now.
OG Supernatural 11:53 PM - 11 March, 2009
Quote:
no, I am waiting for AGI to get them so I can order

Got my blue and clear today!
BriChi 3:16 AM - 12 March, 2009
WHAT!!! I want clear, where di you get them OG

BTW: I love these decks, best Denon has released so far
Dj K.Smith 4:08 AM - 12 March, 2009
nice nice...
matt212 12:42 PM - 12 March, 2009
Quote:
nice nice...

Translation...

"Fuck all you guys with the 3700's because I don't have them yet." lol
Dj K.Smith 3:34 PM - 12 March, 2009
LOL....
DJ Unique 9:24 PM - 12 March, 2009
Quote:
LOL....

LOL x2
Dj K.Smith 9:31 PM - 12 March, 2009
UNIQUE I don't think I can make it bro... Kinda far and I gotta go kinda far to arrange the childcare... At the next jammy jam we might just have to do that my brotha...
DJ Unique 10:38 PM - 12 March, 2009
Quote:
UNIQUE I don't think I can make it bro... Kinda far and I gotta go kinda far to arrange the childcare... At the next jammy jam we might just have to do that my brotha...

No problem.
When/where is the next "Jammy Jam"?
Dj K.Smith 10:57 PM - 12 March, 2009
Good question...
MELLOHYPE 5:39 PM - 18 March, 2009
forgive me if this is a silly question

but i read in the specs that its also a midi controller

does that mean serato can be used on the units without having to use control cd's?
DJ Unique 6:00 PM - 18 March, 2009
Quote:
forgive me if this is a silly question

but i read in the specs that its also a midi controller

does that mean serato can be used on the units without having to use control cd's?

Yes you can.
You have to map out the buttons on the player to the Serato software.
The most important thing though is that you can't map out the spinning platter.
BriChi 6:50 PM - 18 March, 2009
Quote:
The most important thing though is that you can't map out the spinning platter.

Hopefully serato will come around one day soon and make native support so everything will automatically be mapped including the platter
MELLOHYPE 6:51 PM - 18 March, 2009
oh so its a push button thing once you go full midi then.

looks like i'll be burning some extra cd's lol...cause you know them shits go bad after like 3 months.
BriChi 7:20 PM - 18 March, 2009
What goes bad? The buttons? No more then if u use it as a normal cd player controlling ssl
DJ Unique 4:55 AM - 19 March, 2009
I think MELLOHYPE meant the Control CDs. he must not take care of his CDs very well. I have only replaced my Control CDs once recently. The first burnt copy lasted me well over 2 years.
BriChi 12:34 AM - 20 March, 2009
This just in, I believe KSmith has now got the 3700's
DJ Unique 1:48 AM - 20 March, 2009
Quote:
This just in, I believe KSmith has now got the 3700's

Yes he did.
I spoke with him last night.
BTW - He loves his S3700's.
DJ LTIZZZLE 5:52 AM - 20 March, 2009
he got them for free?
BriChi 12:11 PM - 20 March, 2009
no, he took out a loan for them, you gotta do what you gotta do, lol
Dj K.Smith 3:42 PM - 20 March, 2009
Yes I do... I'll post my picture proof probably tonight or tomorrow...
djspontaneous 6:32 PM - 20 March, 2009
a yo dj k.smith how do you like the s3700 ,i just might have to add them to my collection,of my denon toys i have
skinnyguy 6:39 PM - 20 March, 2009
post pics of the loan too so we know it's real and u didn't just get them for free =P
Dj K.Smith 6:50 PM - 20 March, 2009
Bri Chi just put me ll out there huh?!?!?

Spontaneous I like them man. They feel like a real tt... Gotta get used to the sensitive response and I should be good. Might practice on stickam tonight.

Skinny, I'll post pics either here or on the Denon site...
BriChi 7:18 PM - 20 March, 2009
hahahahha, yo i was happy for ya, i had to alert the serato fam
soon-2-be-ex-FS2user_2.0 11:10 PM - 20 March, 2009
soooooo.... can i's doing a barrow dem?

i gits a gig.
Dj K.Smith 1:14 AM - 21 March, 2009
i77.photobucket.com

I'm official...
BriChi 1:23 AM - 21 March, 2009
Nice!!! Congrats
djspontaneous 1:43 AM - 21 March, 2009
yeah thats a nice setup player
DJ Unique 2:24 AM - 21 March, 2009
Quote:
i77.photobucket.com

I'm official...

Dj K.Smith 3:57 AM - 21 March, 2009
Quote:
yeah thats a nice setup player

Thanks mayne...
Dj K.Smith 3:57 AM - 21 March, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
i77.photobucket.com

I'm official...

Thank you thank you...
matt212 11:59 AM - 21 March, 2009
nice, nice...lol
DJ GaFFle 12:20 PM - 21 March, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
i77.photobucket.com

I'm official...

Thank you thank you...

Congrats dude... I know you're geeked right now. How much does your coffin and components weight all together?
DJ GaFFle 12:21 PM - 21 March, 2009
Weight=weigh
Dj K.Smith 4:42 PM - 21 March, 2009
Still about the same Gaffle... No major weight difference... Just the feel of the deck I gotta get used to...
Kadilac 10:22 PM - 21 March, 2009
Holy poo!
cgi.ebay.com
This is why I wait 6 months after release to buy new stuff.
mle 2:00 AM - 22 March, 2009
Be careful with Denon stuff on ebay. Usually, they have the serial numbers removed so Denon can't track down the shady distributor and you won't get a warranty with the number removed. Not saying all products though... Just make sure beforehand and ask about if the serial number has been removed...
DJ LTIZZZLE 3:32 AM - 22 March, 2009
Nice set up K. Smith
Dj K.Smith 3:59 AM - 22 March, 2009
thanks LTIZZZLE...
raequan 4:01 PM - 23 March, 2009
i have had my 3700's and 1100 mixer for 4 weeks now...... im so in love with them...just like a tech 1200.... been an analog dj for 20 years....the switch to digital with the 3700 was smooth... about 30 minutes of first playing on them i was sold on them..... yes i played with the pio's, for me i didnt like them.....straight out of the box serato was running without me turning off the audio curve....

pics

www.flickr.com
blackavenger 6:49 AM - 7 April, 2009
Does anyone know if the 3700 has a switch (like on the back of the CDJ-800} that makes it perform like a normal cd player? If so, can you use this functionality with MP3 CD and Thumb Drive as well?

I know this may seem irrelevant, but I use my CDJ for my home CD player, as well as for mixing. Just curious, cause I am really impressed with all the other features of this thing.
BriChi 12:18 PM - 7 April, 2009
I didnt know the 800 had a switch on the back. I do own the 3700 and it acts as a normal cd player. What exactly do you mean by that?

I know you can put a normal cd in, hit play and it with play the cd in continuous or single mode
DJ GaFFle 2:40 PM - 7 April, 2009
I tried the Denon 3700 at a GC here in Atlanta and I must say I was very impressed. VERY accurate. The only difference I noticed over a real TT was the platter/record being smaller. I was only able to scratch on one unit but that was enough for me.

I'd make the switch to these but I'd rather have an NS7 to gig with and my TTs and 57 at home to practice and make mixes on.
blackavenger 3:57 PM - 7 April, 2009
Quote:
I didnt know the 800 had a switch on the back. I do own the 3700 and it acts as a normal cd player. What exactly do you mean by that?

I know you can put a normal cd in, hit play and it with play the cd in continuous or single mode

Cool, that's all I wanted to know. Well......OMT, does it behave the same for files on Thumb Drives, IPod, Externals?
BriChi 8:33 PM - 7 April, 2009
yes, it will continue to play for files that in a row, if there are 10 tracks in a folder, it will continue to play all 10 tracks as if it was a cd
blackavenger 8:44 PM - 7 April, 2009
Quote:
yes, it will continue to play for files that in a row, if there are 10 tracks in a folder, it will continue to play all 10 tracks as if it was a cd

Dope! Yeah, as soon as I can afford the difference (after I sell my CDJ-800) I am going to get this.

Thanks.
BriChi 8:46 PM - 7 April, 2009
cool, no problem man. Good luck
djspontaneous 1:53 AM - 8 April, 2009
man that newmark ns7 is a beast real nice indeed
Rebelguy 8:28 PM - 8 April, 2009
So I am seriously looking into the 3700s to replace a pair of CDJ-1000 MK2s. My main concern is whether Denon is gonna stick with these or now. I heard they already discontinued the 5500s and they just dropped last year.

All you folks that own them already. How are they holding up? How is the construction quality? Any software problems yet? I heard the last 5500 update introduced slippage. Not a good sign.
Rebelguy 8:29 PM - 8 April, 2009
Quote:
cool, no problem man. Good luck

What is the world coming to? Numark making a good product? Denon making a CD player that might compete with the CDJ? The end is near...haha
BriChi 8:34 PM - 8 April, 2009
Quote:
I heard they already discontinued the 5500s and they just dropped last year.

I dont know where you heard that but that is not true at all. Denon will have 2 flagship players targeted to 2 different types of dj's. The 5500 and the 3700 are there top players now

Quote:
All you folks that own them already. How are they holding up? How is the construction quality? Any software problems yet? I heard the last 5500 update introduced slippage. Not a good sign.

I have had the 5500's and just sold them for the 3700's because I like the larger platter. The 5500's are great, the slip issue is being worked on, it only happens once or twice during my 4 hour sets. Denon knows this and is working on it. The 3700's are ROCK SOLID, I love them, the build quality is solid, unlike Pio's. Pio's feel like plastic crap compares to the 5500 and the 3700. The Pioneers are way to far behind the technology now a days. Go with the 3700, anyone who owns them right now swears by them.
Rebelguy 10:33 PM - 8 April, 2009
Quote:

I dont know where you heard that but that is not true at all. Denon will have 2 flagship players targeted to 2 different types of dj's. The 5500 and the 3700 are there top players now.

This information came straight from Ty at AGIprodj.com. I actually called him again after I read this to reconfirm. According to him the DN-HS550 are now discontinued. You can talk with him to discuss the validity of the statement.

Maybe they are going to do a 9inch platter version of them? Either way it really has me a bit skeptical to invest in anything new from them.
Rebelguy 10:37 PM - 8 April, 2009
It also might explain why they are going for around $500 new on ebay.
Rebelguy 10:37 PM - 8 April, 2009
Quote:
It also might explain why they are going for around $500 new on ebay.

The DN-HS5500 that is.
Kadilac 10:42 PM - 8 April, 2009
WOwwwww. cgi.ebay.com

That is a head scratcher.
BriChi 11:02 PM - 8 April, 2009
WOW is all I have to say, I want to see if there is anything buzzing on the Denon Forum

I wonder if TY was talking about the 5000?
BriChi 11:03 PM - 8 April, 2009
I just dont understand why they would do that when all they a=players are always out for a looooong time. The 5500 is only a year old
Rebelguy 11:07 PM - 8 April, 2009
Quote:
WOW is all I have to say, I want to see if there is anything buzzing on the Denon Forum

I wonder if TY was talking about the 5000?

Nah I verified with him it is the 5500. The 3500 is gone as well.
BriChi 11:16 PM - 8 April, 2009
the 3500 I can see, that thing is old and still has issues from what I read
BriChi 11:17 PM - 8 April, 2009
maybe they are doing this because they feel that no one would buy the 5500 because the 3700 is better?

they should still keep it though and just lower the price to like 600
DJ A Smooth 11:55 PM - 8 April, 2009
Quote:
I dont know where you heard that but that is not true at all.

3500s and 5500s are/will be discontinued..
BriChi 11:57 PM - 8 April, 2009
I stand corrected.

I still am in shock. On the Denon forums they support these like they are still new and claim fw updates are being worked on
DJ A Smooth 11:58 PM - 8 April, 2009
The 5500 doesn't compare the 3700.. Especially if you scratch.. The 3700 is a SERIOUS unit!
DJ A Smooth 11:58 PM - 8 April, 2009
Yeah Bri, crazy when I heard also..
BriChi 11:59 PM - 8 April, 2009
yeah right, nuts. Glad I sold them and bought 2 3700's, :)
Tunecrew 12:05 AM - 9 April, 2009
in my mind Pioneer is much more like Rane - they release new products much less frequently, and those products, although typically not mega-flashy, tend to work and not have problems for a long period of time.

Denon on the other hand is a release machine- how many single CD units in the last few years? And how many products (CD & mixers) with issues that suggest less-than-thorough testing, both in terms of features and quality control. And how many products for which any further revisions will not be forthcoming even though there are outstanding.

My impression of Denon products is that the input giving to the R&D team comes from all their "trade-show" DJs, not from people slugging it out in the field under real conditions, e.g. mobile DJs, club installs, etc.

Just my two cents, and I have owned (and still own) quite a bit of Denon gear in my time.
Rebelguy 12:12 AM - 9 April, 2009
Quote:
in my mind Pioneer is much more like Rane - they release new products much less frequently, and those products, although typically not mega-flashy, tend to work and not have problems for a long period of time.

Denon on the other hand is a release machine- how many single CD units in the last few years? And how many products (CD & mixers) with issues that suggest less-than-thorough testing, both in terms of features and quality control. And how many products for which any further revisions will not be forthcoming even though there are outstanding.

My impression of Denon products is that the input giving to the R&D team comes from all their "trade-show" DJs, not from people slugging it out in the field under real conditions, e.g. mobile DJs, club installs, etc.

Just my two cents, and I have owned (and still own) quite a bit of Denon gear in my time.

I will agree. This can be seen from the horrendous color scheme on the new 1700 mixer they are releasing.
Rebelguy 12:16 AM - 9 April, 2009
Quote:
The 5500 doesn't compare the 3700.. Especially if you scratch.. The 3700 is a SERIOUS unit!

A Smooth...I know you are the super Denon Fanboy. Not sure if you are getting paid or not but seriously, how can you have so much loyalty to a company that with all honesty can not release a product with any longevity. Denon users can bash pionner all they want but their products more or less work and they have a very good resale value.

My sympathy goes out to anyone that purchased a 5500 recently at the old price. They are now worth $300 - $350 used if they can even sell them.

I sold my last pair of CD-1000s MK1s for $650 each. They were almost 3 years old and I paid $899 each for them. Not a bad return if I do say so myself.

I still might consider the 3700s but I really have to think long term on the purchase before I do.
Rebelguy 12:18 AM - 9 April, 2009
And I am not trying to start a fight with you. I just know you are quick to defend Denon about any negative feedback they get. I am sure Silvio will be on here soon with some spin on the story to try to justify Denon's position. Either way it is bad business in my book.
Rebelguy 12:20 AM - 9 April, 2009
Actually A Smooth I am sorry I addressed you by mistake. I got you mixed up with Double A from the Denon Forums.
BriChi 12:25 AM - 9 April, 2009
I can agree with the quick turnaround on Denon gear, I think it is not fair to current 5500 owners who just purchased them. I usually would defend Denon with there gear lately because the 5500 and especially the 3700 are insane players, but discontinuing the 5500 so quick is just not fair. I understand they want to keep up with technology and add cool features, but they should just release 1 solid deck (hence the 3700) kinda like Pio releasing the 1000MK3 (which by the way I hate and have issues with at some clubs but thats for another day)

The 3700 should become the Pioneer 1000 of the industry and Denon should lay low on new decks for a while, let the 3700 become a standard so people gain back the respect for Denon in the clubs, then work on something for the future.

Pioneer did that BUT, they are so far behind the times right now. The cdj400 was a poor excuse in entering the usb/midi world for pro's
DJ A Smooth 12:26 AM - 9 April, 2009
lol.. I am not a Denon fanboy even though you are mistaking me. I have a 5500 that I got for free..
DJ LTIZZZLE 12:28 AM - 9 April, 2009
*Cough*
matt212 1:15 AM - 9 April, 2009
Hey...at least they were in production longer than the HDX's. :)
Dj K.Smith 4:26 AM - 9 April, 2009
The 3700's are pretty sick...
djspontaneous 4:53 AM - 9 April, 2009
man this is f'd up for sho, i knew they was up to something i knew it .but uhm dont some of you guys have some kinda problem with the s3700 .that needs a firmware update now, i hope it dont happen to you guys to
mikep 5:45 AM - 9 April, 2009
That sucks about the 5500 for everyone who bought them in good faith.
the 3700 is more like I've been looking for. My local dealer is giving me a good price, although the unadvertised price from pssl was close with no tax with pssl. He also said they're next shipping mid-April. I'm planning to get one to add to my s1000's to try out.
If they are as good as I expect and Serato gets the native support working I'll get a second one. It will act as backup then also. If my laptop dumps I can run off my backup external through the 3700(s).
mikep 5:46 AM - 9 April, 2009
Also I'm sure selling 2 3700's is more profit then selling 1 5500.
BriChi 12:11 PM - 9 April, 2009
Quote:
but uhm dont some of you guys have some kinda problem with the s3700 .that needs a firmware update now, i hope it dont happen to you guys to

yeah, I had a baby scratch happen on its own (quick reverse then forward) towards the end of a track one night, Denon found it and fixed it, just waiting for the release. It has happened once to me in the 75 hours of use I put on them already so it is no big deal. If that is the only bug they have on this whole deck on a brand new release, then that's good.

I personally do not think they will discontinue the 3700 for a very long time. It is the most solid deck they have put out in years and a true competitor to finally get rid of the Pio 1000's
BriChi 12:27 PM - 9 April, 2009
here is a post on denons forum who called D&M about the 5500 discontinue discussion

denondjforums.com

they claim it is still up and selling
Rebelguy 1:49 PM - 9 April, 2009
Quote:
here is a post on denons forum who called D&M about the 5500 discontinue discussion

denondjforums.com

I love how those guys are scrambling over there to try to calm everyone down. Well since this is the only place we can talk openly about the issue my main questions are if this is true why would the dealer's lie (and yes I have heard it from more than 1 authorized dealer), and why are there a bunch of different people dumping stock on brand new units on ebay?
DJ A Smooth 1:57 PM - 9 April, 2009
Well things must've changed then quickly haha
BriChi 2:02 PM - 9 April, 2009
exactly Rebel, I believe something is going on and the denon foum guys were not told yet, remember, that forum is not an "official" denon forum.

I would not be shocked if something is changed quickly directly from Denon. Ty from AGI is a standup guy and I doubt he is going to lie about a product or make something up just to sell a higher end player
matt212 2:36 PM - 9 April, 2009
It's just an instant replay of when the 5000's got discontinued. Every Guitar Center and Sam Ash in America had that model discontinued in their database but the forum regulars over there were saying otherwise.
DJ LTIZZZLE 4:26 AM - 10 April, 2009
*Turns on the good ole trusty industy standard Pio cdj 1000mk3* Auh!!!! cues up the track and away we go ;-)(no firmware needed)
blackavenger 7:12 AM - 10 April, 2009
Quote:
*Turns on the good ole trusty industy standard Pio cdj 1000mk3* Auh!!!! cues up the track and away we go ;-)(no firmware needed)

Actually, when the first CDJ-1000MK3's dropped, there was a "master tempo" firmware fix required. Even almighty Pioneer gets shit wrong sometimes ; )
DJ A Smooth 10:25 AM - 10 April, 2009
Damn just CDs are sooooo 2005 lol
BriChi 1:08 PM - 10 April, 2009
Quote:
*Turns on the good ole trusty industry standard Pio cdj 1000mk3* Auh!!!! cues up the track and away we go ;-)(no firmware needed)

ant the 800mk2 needed a firmware update too, it had big issue with auto loop sending the track back to the end of the previous track. That was a fun night when I owned the 800's and it did that in the midd of my set.
Good try though LTIZZZLE, LOL
DJ GaFFle 1:11 PM - 10 April, 2009
Quote:

I'm not traditionally a CDJ-type DJ but the 3700 blows the CDJ1000mk* out the water IMO... Industry standard or not. I think the 3700 is the new industry standard with spinning platter.
DJ LTIZZZLE 5:24 PM - 10 April, 2009
only time will tell.. I still prefer my Tech 1210's M5G's
Dj-Pyro 8:18 PM - 10 April, 2009
I played on K.Smith's 3700's and I can vouch for em. They are NICE! Basically mini turntables minus the needles and record wear.
Dj K.Smith 8:31 PM - 10 April, 2009
Quote:
I played on K.Smith's 3700's and I can vouch for em. They are NICE! Basically mini turntables minus the needles and record wear.

And was cutting it up too kid, nice job Pyro...
DJ GaFFle 9:20 PM - 10 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

How has your mixing gotten since you upgraded to the 3700's? Has it gotten even better and has your cutting gotten better?
matt212 9:23 PM - 10 April, 2009
Quote:

denondjforums.com

Not no more...they deleted that post.

and they locked this one. haha
denondjforums.com

K. Smith, I think that Double A dude got you beat as being a Denon fanboy. He is a striaght up Denon dick rider. lol
DJ LTIZZZLE 9:49 PM - 10 April, 2009
i might have to check these out..

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ LTIZZZLE 9:51 PM - 10 April, 2009
Watchwww.youtube.com

i'm leaning
BriChi 10:13 PM - 10 April, 2009
good vids LTIZZZLE,

Keep leaning,,,,lol
BriChi 11:24 PM - 10 April, 2009
and the official announcement of the 5500 has arrived: denondjforums.com

they are being discontued
Dj K.Smith 1:03 AM - 11 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How has your mixing gotten since you upgraded to the 3700's? Has it gotten even better and has your cutting gotten better?

Others would have to be the judge of that.. I'm just adjusting to the style of the player as it essentially acts like a 12... Next time I'm live I'm open for that feedback
Dj K.Smith 1:11 AM - 11 April, 2009
Quote:

K. Smith, I think that Double A dude got you beat as being a Denon fanboy. He is a striaght up Denon dick rider. lol

He's a moderator on the Denon forum and I think a Denon dj... But if I was sponsored, I'd be the ultimate fanboy. The deck is tight man... I don't even think cats look at it twice because of it being Denon and not Pioneer but if that's the case they're trippin' and not really understanding how dope this thing is...
Rebelguy 1:38 AM - 11 April, 2009
Quote:
and the official announcement of the 5500 has arrived: denondjforums.com

they are being discontued

I thought it was a little weird that silvio's shows as being yesterday but it didn't show up until today. I also love how Double A had to lock down all the threads. That shit is straight annoying.
DJ LTIZZZLE 3:17 AM - 11 April, 2009
so those high speed 5500's are no more? Didn't they just come out? WoW.. I might have to keep an eye on this one.
DJ_STEVE 6:12 AM - 12 April, 2009
Quote:
I don't even think cats look at it twice because of it being Denon and not Pioneer but if that's the case they're trippin' and not really understanding how dope this thing is...

WORD!! Let em know Smizzle!!!
DJ RaNz 7:07 AM - 23 April, 2009
Can the 3700 be used with a USB drive & a scratch live cd, so you can switch between serato and usb drive as source ?

to use just one deck ?
BriChi 3:27 PM - 23 April, 2009
Quote:
Can the 3700 be used with a USB drive & a scratch live cd, so you can switch between serato and usb drive as source ?

Yes, but not at the same time like the 5500's. You would have to press the "cd" button to play a cd which will disable the usb port and vice versa

Quote:

to use just one deck ?

you would need 2 decks to play a song from usb on one and cd on another. That is the one great feature on the 5500 is it is 2 decks in 1 so you can play a usb song, switch layers and play another
mikep 4:15 PM - 23 April, 2009
It's too bad they discontinued the 5500. Maybe if they made it more like the 3700 plus 2 layers it would've been better. But they'll make more selling 2 3700s and not deal with extra drive sleds and cd drives that don't play mp3.

I just ordered a 3700 to add to my 2 dn-s1000s I use with ssl. Ill be more likely to add another 3700 after testing it out and with ssl native support.

I have a Seagate go drive and am looking at another or a WD drive. Any thoughts? To me the Seagates have been more reliable.
Dj K.Smith 4:55 PM - 23 April, 2009
Yeah you can put the control signal on a usb drive ( I do that as an mp3)...

You could switch between cd and usb...

the 5500 is 2 decks in one though, not the 3700...
AKIEM 7:35 PM - 23 April, 2009
you could just put one SSL deck in Internal mode.
DJ RaNz 7:08 AM - 24 April, 2009
what's the best way to use one 3700 with serato ?
cant afford 2 right now.
DJ Unique 8:05 AM - 24 April, 2009
Quote:
cant afford 2 right now.

Instant Doubles.
BriChi 12:09 PM - 24 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
cant afford 2 right now.

Instant Doubles.

Actually, It's called input reverse. Instant doubles just duplicates the song on one deck to another so it's similar to having 2 of the same tracks.

what you are looking to do is "input reverse", the button is at the top of seratos main screen. You would mix as normal with 1 3700 (or any deck for that matter) once you are done mixing and controlling the 1 track, you press input reverse and it throwa the playing song into INT mode and now lets you control the other deck with the 3700, again, when you are done mixing the next track, hit the button again and it now throws that deck into INT and allows 3700 control back on the other deck. I hope that was clear enough, kinda hard to put into words, LOL
DJ LTIZZZLE 12:46 PM - 24 April, 2009
or you can just hit Shift + <----- to make the track go on the other deck.
BriChi 2:56 PM - 24 April, 2009
isnt that for instant doubles? He doesn't want that, he want to use Input reverse so he can own 1 3700 and use it on both serato decks
BriChi 3:00 PM - 24 April, 2009
there is a shortcut by the way for input reverse, I think is "ctrl-shift-/"
Dj K.Smith 3:01 PM - 24 April, 2009
If he leaves the "other deck" in internal mode, then he can use instant doubles as well Bri with just one deck. You just have to keep sending the track to that deck and bring in anything new on the 3700...
BriChi 3:10 PM - 24 April, 2009
ahhhhh, I see, good idea, I guess 6 to one half..........
DJ LTIZZZLE 4:29 PM - 24 April, 2009
LOL @BriChi on that one^^^ Yeah instant doubles is alot easier bruh. I had one of my *holds breath* Pioneer Cdj 1000 mk3 shit the bed. So, i had to use instant doubles to keep the part going. Way easier than input reverse
BriChi 4:49 PM - 24 April, 2009
lol,,,

good to know though, thx guys

LTIZZZLE, you know what my favorite part of your post was "holds breath" LOL
DJ LTIZZZLE 5:03 PM - 24 April, 2009
yeah yeah yeah..
Dj K.Smith 5:04 PM - 24 April, 2009
LTIZZZLE will eventually leave the "dark side" of the force (Pioneer) and come on over to the "Denon" side (Return Of The Jedi)... LOLOL
BriChi 5:09 PM - 24 April, 2009
LOL
DJ LTIZZZLE 5:13 PM - 24 April, 2009
I can take that. The trace scanning thingy cracked.. Sent it in and that was fixed but now it want read any cd's (just like my denon 3500's) but the other one is working fine. So, i'm back to my TT 1210 M5G's. The only reason i have CD players is because some of the USO acts have a cd. And i hate putting peoples cd's in my computer.
Dj K.Smith 6:59 PM - 24 April, 2009
The "Force" is strong in this one... Join us on the Denon side... We will welcome you with open arms my son, LOL...
DJ Nin 7:23 PM - 24 April, 2009
The Force may be with you....
But what about The Schwartz???

If you have the Schwartz on your side too then I'm sold. I'll swap my Pio's for the 3700s and The Schwartz.

LOL
Dj K.Smith 7:29 PM - 24 April, 2009
There's plenty 'o room Dj Nin... Plenty 'o room...
DJ Unique 4:51 AM - 25 April, 2009
I tried the "input reverse" once and it confused me. "Instant doubles" seems easier to me.
DJ RaNz 9:18 AM - 26 April, 2009
Thanks DJ Unique & BriChi.. guess i will try both Instant Doubles and Input reverse with my CDN-88 to see what works best. then get me a 3700, it seems to be a solid deck.
Discobee 5:14 AM - 16 April, 2010
I found a really cherry pair locally (Seattle) on craigslist for $1000, I think I scored a good deal. These are some good fun cdj's!

i90.photobucket.com
DJ GaFFle 2:33 PM - 16 April, 2010
Quote:
The "Force" is strong in this one... Join us on the Denon side... We will welcome you with open arms my son, LOL...

LoL
Dj K.Smith 3:01 PM - 16 April, 2010
Welcome Discobee... Welcome with open arms... You are amongst friends, LOL...
mikep 8:49 PM - 16 April, 2010
Quote:
I found a really cherry pair locally (Seattle) on craigslist for $1000, I think I scored a good deal. These are some good fun cdj's!

i90.photobucket.com

definitely a good deal. I love my 3700's. if only they'd get ssl support.... RPM has it and I think VirtualDJ does... I see the 3700 in the list of supported controllers for VDJ anyway.
DJRESERVE 1:05 AM - 20 April, 2010
3700's are a beast man. Too bad for no ssl support :( sold them and got techs again. Nothing beats 12's anyway

My old video when I had them :(
Watchwww.youtube.com
Discobee 7:45 PM - 1 May, 2010
Ok, I used my 3700's at a club gig last night. First time using the Denons at this club. Denon 3700 firmware updated to the April 2010 version. The club normally has Pioneer CDJs but it was not available last night, hence the Denons. Set up the gear and the sound check went fine. I should mention that there are two main speakers on each side of the booth. During pre-funk, when the volume was not as loud, everything was still fine. But then when it was time to turn the volume up and the bass was really pounding, the pitch control on the Serato (on the screen) starting fluctuating all over. Like if I went from 0% to +2% on the Denon, the Serato pitch (on the screen) would fluctuate crazily like 0 to 2 to 4 and back down to 2, and it would take a few seconds to catch up to the actual pitch. This happened on both left and right decks on the laptop screen. But on the Denons itself, it was not fluctuating. This made me kinda nervous, so I ended up Internal mode for most of the night.

I got home and tried to replicate the problem, but the pitch on the Serato screen was just fine. And of course at home, the bass in my studio is nothing even close to a club setting. The only thing I can conclude is that somehow the bass was pounding so much in the booth and on all the gear that the vibration messed with the timecode CD, causing it to miscommunicate with Serato?? Because that was when I noticed the fluctuating started. For those of you that know a thing or two about Denons, is this plausible?
Discobee 7:59 PM - 1 May, 2010
^^I used timecode CD last night. I just looked at the Denon site and it seems that they recommend using thumbdrives for the timecode with SSL.
www.denondj.com

Interesting...I shall try this method at the wedding gig tonight and see if the same issues arise.
Dj K.Smith 6:28 AM - 2 May, 2010
I've been using flash drives since day 1 of purchase. Never a problem. =)
Discobee 4:35 AM - 3 May, 2010
So K Smith...you just leave the USB in the Denon during the gig? One flash drive in each player?
skinnyguy 7:08 PM - 3 May, 2010
my guess on discobee's situation:

bass rumble affected the platter. this forced the player's software to digitally adjust the motor to stay on pitch by speeding up or slowing down. this physical adjustment is reflected in ssl, however on the denon's unit, perhaps this compensation isn't being displayed. perhaps by denon's programming logic, this info doesn't need to be relayed to the user because it's like a pitch bend.

don't take my word for it, this is all my theory.
Dj K.Smith 8:26 PM - 3 May, 2010
Quote:
So K Smith...you just leave the USB in the Denon during the gig? One flash drive in each player?

Yep..
Discobee 4:34 PM - 4 May, 2010
Quote:
my guess on discobee's situation:

bass rumble affected the platter. this forced the player's software to digitally adjust the motor to stay on pitch by speeding up or slowing down. this physical adjustment is reflected in ssl, however on the denon's unit, perhaps this compensation isn't being displayed. perhaps by denon's programming logic, this info doesn't need to be relayed to the user because it's like a pitch bend.

don't take my word for it, this is all my theory.

I would surmise that this is a very reasonable hypothesis....because the next day at my wedding gig, where the bass wasn't as crazy as the club...nothing odd happened...

I will try the USB drive method like K Smith does next time I'm at that particular club to see if the issue happens again. Because if does happen again, then we could probably conclude that the bass affects the platter drive...but if it doesn't, then the bass probably affects the timecode CD.
Dj K.Smith 4:50 PM - 4 May, 2010
When you think about it, the timecode cd is still being "read" so any excessive vibration can affect that process... The usb drive is just digital data so in theory no amount of vibration should be able to affect it at all... Right?!?!?!?!?!
skinnyguy 7:29 PM - 4 May, 2010
but if the platter still affects direction and pitch of the file being read from the usb drive, then you are still able to be affected by excessive bass rumble. audio from a cd is still digital data too.
Dj K.Smith 11:22 PM - 4 May, 2010
But with a laser reading it though correct? A laser that can be affected by vibration...
skinnyguy 3:23 AM - 5 May, 2010
that's just one less/more factor.
Discobee 4:20 PM - 22 May, 2010
Ok Denon users, I played at that same club again last night with the 3700's and the likely result is that it is the bass that affects the pitch reading. But this time I also used USB flash drives instead of CD control discs like K. Smith suggested. So here's what happened last night:

Same thing, during pre-funk and lower volume, everything was normal. Then we cranked it up. Left deck didn't do anything...and it was because the left speaker had been relocated about 2 feet further from the booth by the owner. Right deck was fluctuating like crazy...the right speaker was directly beside the booth like last time. So then I lifted up the right deck as it's playing, and the pitch reading immediately stopped fluctuating. That made me think that it was the shaking of the bass, so I took a piece of foam out of the road case and set the right deck on the foam and like magic, the pitch reading was normal again. Left deck was fine all night, and right deck became fine after I set it on foam.

So I think no matter if you use control Cd or USB, the bass is affecting the way Serato reads the timecode signal, just my reasonable hypothetical guess. But a piece of foam to dampen the vibration can cure it.
mikep 5:56 PM - 22 May, 2010
Nice work Discobee.
It just shows how much more the 3700 is like a tt.
My 1200's used to have issues with bass rumble at some mobile spots. I got a set of adjustable feet for them and it isolates them from the bass.
skinnyguy 8:36 PM - 22 May, 2010
like i said. it's the bass affecting the platter. like a normal 1200 platter. doesn't matter if it's a needle or laser in this case. the platter is used to affect pitch and if the platter is affected in crazy ways, your pitch will be affected in crazy ways.

a needle will have more ambient rumble feedback. a laser won't. but they both have the platter which can affect things.

even if it's off usb drive and no laser needed (everything read by internal software), the platter STILL AFFECTS PITCH. if the platter gets affected in any way, so will your pitch.
Discobee 11:30 PM - 22 May, 2010
^^Ok that's probably what it is, I just didn't word it right. But some makeshift foam action fixed it and I'm glad I figured out the cause from it. Cause a few weeks ago I thought I got taken for a $1000 on some defective 3700's, glad to know I didn't.

Spinning platters forever!! Raaaaaaawr!!
Dj K.Smith 2:35 PM - 23 May, 2010
Yeah Boyee!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice solution Discobee...