DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

RCF HD 32-A , EV ZXA5 , and RCF HD 10-A comparison review

djdisbjohn 3:40 PM - 30 January, 2014
Starting a new thread from this one : serato.com

Here's a quick demo comparison for the RCF and EV. It wasn't ideal testing conditions since it was done in my garage. Had the neighbors complaining when it was outside. I will try to do another video when I'm out at a larger venue. The RCF has better mid range and vocal clarity compared to the EV. The EV still has the best raw output sound wise. For a similar volume level, the EV was at -9 and the RCF was at 2 o'clock and this is where the limiting light started on the bass kicks.

One weird thing I noticed that one of the RCF's was mislabeled with HD 12-A sticker. It has a powercon connection and the serial number says it's an HD 32-A. I compared the horn driver and it looks the same from the front. I will contact RCF to inquiry as well as open up the box and check for myself.

Watchwww.youtube.com
djdisbjohn 3:41 PM - 30 January, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Here's a quick demo comparison for the RCF and EV. It wasn't ideal testing conditions since it was done in my garage. Had the neighbors complaining when it was outside. I will try to do another video when I'm out at a larger venue. The RCF has better mid range and vocal clarity compared to the EV. The EV still has the best raw output sound wise. For a similar volume level, the EV was at -9 and the RCF was at 2 o'clock and this is where the limiting light started on the bass kicks.

One weird thing I noticed that one of the RCF's was mislabeled with HD 12-A sticker. It has a powercon connection and the serial number says it's an HD 32-A. I compared the horn driver and it looks the same from the front. I will contact RCF to inquiry as well as open up the box and check for myself.

Watchwww.youtube.com

thanks djdisbjohn
great Comparison review.......

I think i was most surprised at how close in height the HD 32-A is to the zxa5. I was expecting similar to qsc k12 size i26.photobucket.com but no doubt its a great looking speaker.

I noticed you were running in bass boost mode to compete with the bass output of the zxa5.
I no Bass boost tends to eats up alot of headroom or additional output in powered speakers so i guess it would have gotten a bit louder when pushed to max limit in flat mode.

I notice you had both speakers perfectly matched output wise so its nearly impossible to tell the difference in a blind test. As we all no sound quality is nearly impossible to judge with a video cam over youtube but i would expect the rcf 2in hi freq driver to have slightly better clarity at its max output.

So with the zxa5 playing at -12db, im wondering if it will take more than 2 HD 32-A to get louder than 1 zxa5 @ unity ? guess you gota test that tooo....lol
Where is unity on the rcf, 12oclock or all the way up ?

if i dont go jbl vrx tops, the rcf HD 32-A is near the top of my list for light weight tops.

Also good to see you clearly understand proper gain structure.

There was no indicator for unity on the RCF, so I would guess it would be at 12 o'clock.

It was interesting that the deep/boost mode made only a slight difference in bass response boost. It's not as dramatic as the boost mode on a QSC K12.

The bass response output of the HD 32-A was very close to the response to the ZXA5 to my ear. But it could have been the room acoustics affecting it since I was in a garage. I could have been getting some cancellation in the lower frequencies.
djdisbjohn 3:47 PM - 30 January, 2014
Quote:
... also, I can't stand when these high-end PA companies use crappy folk music to test for sound quality. I guess they're trying play music that appeals to live sound crowds but it usually doesn't cater to the music most people are pushing through these speakers.

You even went so far as to loop a song, which is good for A/B comparisons. Multiple songs types should be done in comparisons.

Thanks, I wanted to compare multiple songs and do loops so it would be a fair comparison and to test it out for different genres. If you have any other song suggestions please let me know.
pdidy 5:59 PM - 30 January, 2014
how would you compare the HD 32-A to the QSC K12. ?
my guess, the HD 32-A is alot better.
Joee 6:07 PM - 30 January, 2014
nice……thanks
djdisbjohn 6:47 PM - 30 January, 2014
Quote:
how would you compare the HD 32-A to the QSC K12. ?
my guess, the HD 32-A is alot better.

Yeah the RCF is better than the K12's in terms of sound quality. The k12's started getting harsh and started breaking up when you would push it to limit.

Here's what I've owned in terms of powered speakers since '99 ..
JBL EON G1, Mackie SRM450 Italian made w/ RCF transducers, QSC K12 & K10, JBL PRX615. Now I have the EV ZXA5's, RCF HD 10-A's and HD 32-A's

Subs.. QSC HPR118i, JBL PRX618-XLF, and JBL VRX918SP.
pdidy 8:09 PM - 30 January, 2014
Is the prx615 louder than the rcf hd32?
DJ GaFFle 10:36 PM - 30 January, 2014
Quote:

That's what I'm talking about. You've got a pair of speakers many people wanted or at least considered buying but could never hear or hear about them. If the HD32A's were louder and clearer than PRX615's, I could imagine that influencing some to choose it instead of the run-of-the-mill PRX.
Joee 11:49 PM - 30 January, 2014
Quote:

The bass response output of the HD 32-A was very close to the response to the ZXA5 to my ear. But it could have been the room acoustics affecting it since I was in a garage. I could have been getting some cancellation in the lower frequencies.

this right here is interesting…..i like the sound of that, now if only you could buy a FBT Promaxx14a to compare to the the ev & rcf…………lol
djdisbjohn 12:03 AM - 31 January, 2014
I've sold off my prx615s. But my buddy in Austin has them still and I'll be down there next week. I'll do a comparison.
pdidy 2:06 AM - 31 January, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

this right here is interesting…..i like the sound of that, now if only you could buy a FBT Promaxx14a to compare to the the ev & rcf…………lol

Yea I think the RCF HD 32-A vs FBT Promaxx14a would make a great battle
Al Poulin 2:50 AM - 31 January, 2014
It should be noted that we are comparing a 12" cab to a 15" or 14". Also, the nice thing about the HD32A is its large VC and exit HF driver which likely perfroms even better when the cabinet is hi passed instead of being used full range. In full range mode, RCF didn't boost the low end quite as much as they did with the HD12A which has a noticeably deeper / stronger low frequency response (judging by the frequency response graphs provided by RCF). This was likely done on purpose to make sure the HD32A had a bit more overall headroom to let the horn shine as much as possible - even in full range mode. Another thing is that If you were to remove the limiters in the RCF box, it would likely get closer to the ZX5A's output which is at least somewhat possible because of this lack of limiting. This would be at the cost of reduced reliability at ultra high volumes however.
djdisbjohn 3:50 AM - 31 January, 2014
Quote:
It should be noted that we are comparing a 12" cab to a 15" or 14". Also, the nice thing about the HD32A is its large VC and exit HF driver which likely perfroms even better when the cabinet is hi passed instead of being used full range. In full range mode, RCF didn't boost the low end quite as much as they did with the HD12A which has a noticeably deeper / stronger low frequency response (judging by the frequency response graphs provided by RCF). This was likely done on purpose to make sure the HD32A had a bit more overall headroom to let the horn shine as much as possible - even in full range mode. Another thing is that If you were to remove the limiters in the RCF box, it would likely get closer to the ZX5A's output which is at least somewhat possible because of this lack of limiting. This would be at the cost of reduced reliability at ultra high volumes however.

Very good insight on the boost mode Al. When I get the chance I will test these out with the VRX sub and high pass the tops from the VRX. Once I get the Driverack PA2, I'll test it with that too.
pdidy 4:09 AM - 31 January, 2014
Quote:

Very good insight on the boost mode Al. When I get the chance I will test these out with the VRX sub and high pass the tops from the VRX. Once I get the Driverack PA2, I'll test it with that too.

Yea that Driverack PA2 is looking like a must have...
Watchwww.youtube.com
the_black_one 5:04 AM - 31 January, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Yea that Driverack PA2 is looking like a must have...
Watchwww.youtube.com

tried to tell you ....

nm nh nb
kevin777 4:13 PM - 4 February, 2014
I'd say the HD hands down. I use 4 HDL 20A's (paired with 4 JBL STX 828s) and the clarity at volume is unparalleled. The high pass curvature signature settings are useful enough that minimal outboard processing is needed. I love the concept of the massive compression drivers paired with divided waveguides. You can always put the sound where you want it and they throw for miles. As for the drive rack pa2, I respectfully disagree. It's the same product with additions purely added to sell the same product again. Just my opinion though.
djdisbjohn 4:53 PM - 4 February, 2014
Quote:
I'd say the HD hands down. I use 4 HDL 20A's (paired with 4 JBL STX 828s) and the clarity at volume is unparalleled. The high pass curvature signature settings are useful enough that minimal outboard processing is needed. I love the concept of the massive compression drivers paired with divided waveguides. You can always put the sound where you want it and they throw for miles. As for the drive rack pa2, I respectfully disagree. It's the same product with additions purely added to sell the same product again. Just my opinion though.

I would love to hear that setup. Did you get the hardware to ground stack the speakers on the subs?
pdidy 7:30 PM - 4 February, 2014
Quote:
I use 4 HDL 20A's (paired with 4 JBL STX 828s)

www.rcf.it
www.jblpro.com
pdidy 8:40 PM - 4 February, 2014
Quote:
As for the drive rack pa2, I respectfully disagree. It's the same product with additions purely added to sell the same product again. Just my opinion though.

I guess the same thing could be said about the jbl subs you use or every version of the technic 1200 after the original. ;)
kevin777 9:41 PM - 4 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

I would love to hear that setup. Did you get the hardware to ground stack the speakers on the subs?

I usually fly them with box truss a few feet behind the subs, then set the subs on an 8.6 millisecond time delay and slightly arched to reduce the "power alley" that comes with using large woofer clusters. I want to get two more so I can just use reverse cardioids for rear rejection and forward summation.
kevin777 9:44 PM - 4 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
As for the drive rack pa2, I respectfully disagree. It's the same product with additions purely added to sell the same product again. Just my opinion though.

I guess the same thing could be said about the jbl subs you use or every version of the technic 1200 after the original. ;)

You could definitely make the same argument, however I prefer the ferrite motor structure and dual vc the stx has. They can extend low enough while still brewing able to punch. I feel the SRX lacks that. Don't get me wrong, the 728s are spectacular, I just prefer the stx power handling. Yes they're less efficient, but it's a trade off
djdisbjohn 5:44 AM - 5 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You could definitely make the same argument, however I prefer the ferrite motor structure and dual vc the stx has. They can extend low enough while still brewing able to punch. I feel the SRX lacks that. Don't get me wrong, the 728s are spectacular, I just prefer the stx power handling. Yes they're less efficient, but it's a trade off

do you have any photos you can share?
kevin777 4:33 PM - 5 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

do you have any photos you can share?

I can take some pictures this week if I can have it set up tomorrow. Hopefully the snow clears.
djdisbjohn 9:57 AM - 6 February, 2014
Here's another video with the EV ZXA5, RCF HD-32A, and JBL PRX615M

I recorded the audio this time with a Zoom H1 so you can hear the better bass response. Not much commentary in the video, but added notes in the details.

Didn't get to test it with any subs hooked up.
djdisbjohn 9:57 AM - 6 February, 2014
pdidy 10:23 AM - 6 February, 2014
Quote:
djdisbjohn 10:29 AM - 6 February, 2014
the RCF is more prominent in the mids and highs. It should be able to throw the sound farther. JBL has more lower range and sharp highs. Mids are less pronounced.

If you run the RCF in flat mode then it gets louder.

The RCF speaker is more punchy.

I really need to test both speakers high passed with a sub
Joee 4:18 PM - 6 February, 2014

i'm telling you all you need is to buy a FBT Promaxx 14a and we will know all we need to for speakers in this price point.......lol

not the best looking speaker but maybe just maybe the sound can make up for it,could be a good choice for those that want zxa5's but don't have the extra $7 to $800

www.fbtusa.net
DJ GaFFle 6:37 PM - 6 February, 2014

i'm telling you all you need is to buy a FBT Promaxx 14a...
Eyesore...
Joee 6:46 PM - 6 February, 2014
^ true, but a 36lbs speaker that can compete with a zxa5 just might be worth a look
djdisbjohn 8:35 PM - 6 February, 2014
Quote:

Eyesore...

+1

maybe get the new scrim king speaker scrim cover for them..lol
www.kpodj.com
DJ GaFFle 10:05 PM - 6 February, 2014
Quote:
^ true, but a 36lbs speaker that can compete with a zxa5 just might be worth a look

Yeah... I'm not gonna knock their ingenuity. From that thorough powered speaker battle article, I got the feeling that they felt the FBT sounded best overall but just couldn't, in any way, match the output of the ZXA5's.

Quote:
Quote:

Eyesore...

+1

maybe get the new scrim king speaker scrim cover for them..lol
www.kpodj.com

LOL... funny!
the_black_one 10:13 PM - 6 February, 2014
so this speaker is that chick with the bangging body but ugly as hell!!!!

NM NH NB
Joee 11:24 PM - 6 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah... I'm not gonna knock their ingenuity. From that thorough powered speaker battle article, I got the feeling that they felt the FBT sounded best overall but just couldn't, in any way, match the output of the ZXA5's.

true that also

but i think the average dj will not need the output the zxa5 is capable of.....

who really needs the music so loud that you have to scream when talking with somebody 40 feet away from the speaker
DJ GaFFle 11:49 PM - 6 February, 2014
Yeah... But, When You DO Need It, You Know It's There.
Joee 11:54 PM - 6 February, 2014
^ there is no such thing as having too much when it comes to sound reinforcement ....agree 100%
DJ Scott Masters 8:01 AM - 4 August, 2014
I've got 4 Promaxx 14a's and am always down for a speaker shootout.
pdidy 11:41 AM - 4 August, 2014
Quote:

me, gaffle and joee own ev zxa5's........who would you like to loose too ?
DJ Val-BKNY11203 12:14 PM - 4 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Game, set, match.
Certified Quality Entertainment 1:31 PM - 4 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

LOL I got them too! :)
Joee 1:33 PM - 4 August, 2014
i wonder how two promaxx14a's would fair against one zxa5
Taipanic 2:26 PM - 4 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

I just had my ZXa5s gone through - everything tightened up and some fill added. No more rattling or popping!
Al Poulin 3:31 PM - 4 August, 2014
If you were to disable the limiters on the FBT, it would likely get pretty darn close to the EV. The extra few DBs you can currently get from the EV because of its lack of limiters are really "high risk" DBs which can put your speakers in jeopardy if proper external protection isn't in place... and, honestly, if you're running the speakers at this extreme of its capabilities, you likely didn't bring enough rig for the gig.

Al
DJ GaFFle 5:51 PM - 4 August, 2014
Quote:
If you were to disable the limiters on the FBT, it would likely get pretty darn close to the EV. The extra few DBs you can currently get from the EV because of its lack of limiters are really "high risk" DBs which can put your speakers in jeopardy if proper external protection isn't in place... and, honestly, if you're running the speakers at this extreme of its capabilities, you likely didn't bring enough rig for the gig.

Al

I agree with the above BUT, EV generally has very efficient drivers and get loud with little power.
pdidy 6:10 PM - 4 August, 2014
Quote:
if you're running the speakers at this extreme of its capabilities, you likely didn't bring enough rig for the gig.

we all know that to be true but the current topic being discussed is .....
Quote:

This is about speaker battling were limits get pushed, therefore the "rig for the gig" does not apply here :)
Certified Quality Entertainment 6:49 PM - 4 August, 2014
I can see the sign when walking in:

"Leave your limiters at the door!"
pdidy 7:16 PM - 4 August, 2014
Quote:
I can see the sign when walking in:

"Leave your limiters at the door!"

Lol....
Well I think we all know the zxa5 will easily win without limiting so maybe a properly limited zxa5 would make for a more interesting battle ?
DJ Scott Masters 8:34 PM - 4 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Picking on the new guy already! LOL!

First off Much respect to everyone in this thread. Especially pdidy and GaFFle. the two of you post a Lot of useful information on here, much appreciated! And to djdisbjohn, great videos. Thanks for taking the time to make them. Very interesting to hear how well the HD 32-A's performed. Anyone know where the HD line ranks in RCF's line up? I'm definitely in the market for a new pair of 12" cabinets to go with my RCF ART 905-AS Subs. Djdisbjohn, too bad you're not in my neck of the woods, so we could throw my 14a's into the mix.

My post was meant to be from a constructive standpoint. Like you guys I'm always in search of the best sounding speakers, within reason. lol I didn't go with the ZXA5's due to the limiting issue. I read in several reviews, that they got harsh when turned up loud and when I read the issuu.com speaker shootout that ended with "And for everybody - listen well - their limiter isn't worth a bean and the SAV is always rather faulty," (in a professional review) that was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. I went with the FBT's. They're plenty loud, (once you figure out that the gain has to be cranked up, abnormally high on the back of the speakers) Lightweight and sound Great. And they do not get distorted when cranked up. Although, I'm sure they're not going to match the output of the ZXA5's. If I always DJed events where I could directly hear the speakers, I may have went with the ZXA5's, knowing they have a Ton of power.
pdidy 1:10 AM - 5 August, 2014
The zxa5 is basically a powered speaker which needs to be treated like a passive speaker in regards to experience and knowledge required to use them properly. It is NOT your beginners speaker and everybody is not ready for them.
pdidy 1:16 AM - 5 August, 2014
That's just a general statement and not directed at you DJ Scott Masters.
The zxa5 could use a warning label for beginners.....lol
DJ Scott Masters 4:52 AM - 5 August, 2014
Warning Label. lol! Yeah, I get what you're saying pdidy.
DjEuRi8 6:34 PM - 19 August, 2014
Has anyone compared the RCF HD12-a to the RCF HD32A? Do you guys think the difference is worth the extra investment for the HD32A?
Joee 6:35 PM - 19 August, 2014
^ YES it is
djdisbjohn 6:38 PM - 19 August, 2014
Quote:
^ YES it is

Hey Joee, did you jump on that deal for the 32A's?
Joee 6:47 PM - 19 August, 2014
not yet….i want to
Craig Singleton 11:54 AM - 21 November, 2015
I own two HD32 and a Evox 12". The tops are wonderful. Constant compliments from clients. Absolute clarity. Long throw projection. Easy to carry. Look great. Frequency balance is outstanding from bottom to top. What you put in is what comes out. They project well, but don't fatigue the audience. I find myself able to perform at lower volumes. Sound the same at low and high volumes. If you're looking for distortion, or to "warm up your mix" get something else or fix your sound. If you dare amplify what you produce live, then these are superior to the other options. It's like a Shure SM58 compared to a high end condenser mic. I only need the evox sub when I want that low end warmth that a sub gives you, I usually only need it outside in large area. Great sub! This rig is easy on the ear. Musical. But beware! The audience will hear what you are doing musically. There is no hiding behind these speakers.
Craig Singleton 12:02 PM - 21 November, 2015
Oh yeah, one more thing. If these Hd32'sare not loud enough for you, then you're not using them correctly, or you need an arena designed size system. They will blow your ears out. I played Ft Lauderdale tonight. Outside. 7th Floor Olympic size pool. I had to turn my system down to about 50% volume. And it was a 20 something audience, reggae, beach music, latin.... etc.

Only problem, the plastic that meets the rubber feet on the base is a little thin for my usage (5 shows weekly). Don't drop them.
Craig Singleton 12:03 PM - 21 November, 2015
One more thing, the show tonight was at the Ritz-Carleton overlooking the beach with lots of wind.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 2:41 PM - 21 November, 2015
Quote:
I own two HD32 and a Evox 12"..

Do you mean Evox8 = 12" subs or Evox12 = 15" subs? i have both just wanted clarification :)

Quote:
\I only need the evox sub when I want that low end warmth that a sub gives you, I usually only need it outside in large area. Great sub!\.

and you said you just use the Evox just as a sub without its top?
Craig Singleton 6:37 PM - 21 November, 2015
I have the Evox8 with the 12" sub. Great unit for small gigs. It's very loud, but I prefer the openness of the HD32's in most venues. The sub is also more than enough as a stand alone sub used with the HD32's. Also, the top of the Evox8 turned toward the band works wonders as a stage monitor, with the sub facing the audience, you get dual purpose. Evox has lots of uses. I owned two of the Bose in the past, and sold them in short time. The Bose have terrible bass and the top of the Bose is not flexible like the Evox, and gets annoying when pushed. Only negative on the Evox so far, is the top can get a little harse for my ears if pushed to loud, similar to the Bose. But it's better than the Bose, cleaner, more open. The HD32's and Evox8 speakers work together to make an amazing sounding and flexible system. Hope that helps.
pdidy 8:18 PM - 21 November, 2015
Quote:
I played Ft Lauderdale tonight. Outside. 7th Floor Olympic size pool. I had to turn my system down to about 50% volume. And it was a 20 something audience, reggae, beach music, latin.... etc.

detailed pictures please.
Craig Singleton 8:50 PM - 21 November, 2015
Pictures of what?
benictrs 8:52 PM - 21 November, 2015
Quote:
Pictures of what?

of the setup :)
Craig Singleton 9:07 PM - 21 November, 2015
See if I can get something.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 11:12 PM - 21 November, 2015
It is required or else you will be banned! lol
pdidy 3:06 AM - 22 November, 2015
Quote:
It is required or else you will be banned! lol

yep, that's the way it works here....pics or banned.....your choice lol
DJ Guayo 2:54 PM - 22 November, 2015
^ or detailed explanation videos. Lol
pdidy 6:30 PM - 22 November, 2015
Quote:
^ or detailed explanation videos. Lol

even better :)
pdidy 4:46 AM - 24 November, 2015
Quote:
See if I can get something.

You got 24 hours and then we will be forced to take action.
Phuture2 11:09 AM - 24 November, 2015
Fire in the Hole!!!