Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Pitch N Time on Serato 1.6 (djechtools.com)

djcruz99 9:58 PM - 26 January, 2014
I ran into this video this morning. All I can say is WOW, this looks amazing.

www.djtechtools.com
FabulousFrequencies 10:31 PM - 26 January, 2014
What it looks like, is a working Key lock. Something we should have had from day 1, in all versions of Serato software that supported Key lock control.

I mean, let me see if I got this right..

You package up the worst key lock in the industry, completely ignore every request for it to be fixed in the existing software, but you'll sell us a working one for 29 bucks as a plug in?

I'm ashamed to have your name on my controller.

Bums..
DJ Baby Raj 11:05 PM - 26 January, 2014
I agree, why do we have to pay for this? Should be giving as a update since the software itself is a premium pretty much to use it.
dj lashes 11:53 PM - 26 January, 2014
Quote:
I agree, why do we have to pay for this? Should be giving as a update since the software itself is a premium pretty much to use it.

yeah was asking my self the same thing SDJ should be that good as its pro or ??
LJ_WOOLSEY 12:11 AM - 27 January, 2014
Sod it! here is my money! its like £17.50!! and if that helps serato higher more staff to fix issues and make the software better so be it!!
FabulousFrequencies 12:34 AM - 27 January, 2014
As if the absolute mountain of new Serato controllers being dumped into the field this year didn't throw any license money in the coffers? This company was founded on Pitch-N-Time, and the Key lock has been broken for how long? A company that begins with an algorithm used by half of Hollywood's producers didn't manage to make it to a basic function of the Software and we're suppose to pay them for the fix? Lunacy.. Completely open source software has a proper Keylock that works.

Write the directors: www.business.govt.nz

Nothing on these forums is heard past customer service.
wadup 1:07 AM - 27 January, 2014
Quote:
Sod it! here is my money! its like £17.50!! and if that helps serato higher more staff to fix issues and make the software better so be it!!

+1000000
djcruz99 1:59 AM - 27 January, 2014
While it would be nice if Serato included this as standard, understand that Pitch N TIme sells for hundreds of dollars by itself. We also don't know if Serato lowered on eliminated any license fees.

Many companies push "faulty" products onto the market and never make good on fixing them or taking way to long to acknowledge the problem in the first place. Think Nikon D600 with it's oil and dust sensor issue, Think Pioneer with the Mic issues on the DDJ SX.

Honestly, I could live without it. I didn't have PItch N time when I used turntables so I don't need it now. That being said, they have my $29 on day 1. It may open up some fun and creative mixes with songs that would never go together.

I guess many DJ's on here are working DJ's and $29 is tip money for playing some crappy request :).
deejdave 2:33 AM - 27 January, 2014
What a difference. Can't wait.
blackavenger 2:34 AM - 27 January, 2014
I don't understand why Y'all aren't getting this. We have had 9 effin' years of free updates. Whereas every other "professional" software out there charges for periodical updates. Why do they charge? So that they can offset research & development costs. Serato has given us (and the industry) 9 years of innovation, and suddenly they decide to start offering "specialized" updates at a cost, and you're complaining? How cheap can you possibly be?

It's $29!! Wouldn't you say that Serato products have made you more than the purchase price + this additional $29? Or even the $60 that the new EFX packs have cost you? Searto products have made me thousands of dollars over the years of my ownership of it!!

You realize that Traktor charged for version updates for years, right? Well, I would say that Traktor is pretty powerful software, wouldn't you agree? Could it be that perhaps with all of the years of receiving money (post purchase) from it's users, that this is the reason why it is so powerful? I would say so. Wouldn't you like Serato to be as powerful as Traktor? I certainly would. The difference between you and me is I'm willing to pay for that innovation & stability. You are just a bunch of whiny cheap-asses that want your cake and to eat it too.

I'm not a water boy for Serato. I have been VERY critical of them throughout the years. But I have to say I am "GLAD" that they are charging for these updates. If charging actually gets it done, and fast at that, then I welcome it with the utmost enthusiasm!!

I would imagine that advanced features are going to cost money from here on out. If that upsets you, perhaps you should switch to VirtualDJ or Algoriddim Djay. But for Heaven's sake, please stop whining about it like a bunch of spoiled children!!
deejdave 2:48 AM - 27 January, 2014
Although that ^^^ was a little harsh it's kind of true. I know everyone is quick ask that their issues be addressed. When they are and a solution is presented it seems fair to ask for compensation for the time put into developing it. Remember this is NOT required and above all keep in mind the price of adding this to your arsenal is about 15 minutes of DJing & less than one hr' of your day job. I know it would have been nice to get it for free but so would everything and I just feel this is too worth it to not jump on it. I am seriously hoping the community at large does not spoil an opportunity we have here to get even more issues addressed by putting a bad taste in Serato's mouth with nothing but ungrateful feedback. Wouldn't it be worth it to work ONE hour (at the MOST) to pay for this if you need it and hope that maybe the revenue gained will fund the next thing on your list? I promise you this.
blackavenger 2:54 AM - 27 January, 2014
It was harsh, 'cause it needed to be.
haze324 3:03 AM - 27 January, 2014
If Serato would only fix "this" I swear I would pay for it, or if they just fixed it or gave to us faster I would gladly pay for it.

Keylock fix.

Thank you Serato for listening.

How much does Pitch n Time normally cost?
blackavenger 3:05 AM - 27 January, 2014
^ This. ^
deejdave 3:07 AM - 27 January, 2014
store.serato.com 799

store.serato.com 399

store.serato.com 399

So no less than $400 usually.
FabulousFrequencies 3:37 AM - 27 January, 2014
Guess principles are out the window on this one. And some of the replies, Jesus. No wonder companies won't man up, there's just no shortage of people happy as SHIT to accept a faulty product.

'Oh well.. what else are we gonna do? ya know? It's not like other companies don't fuck us too. Look at the bright side, at least something works on it, right? That's better than nothing. I'd pay for that bending over. --- insert more repetitive consumer apathy and excuses here --- '

This reminds me of those old movie skits, where some diabolical master mind would poison someone, and offer to sell them the antidote. Except, I never thought i'd watch it unfold in real life some day. Yet here we are!

Key lock is broken.

Broken,

Broken,

Broken.

If they have a working key lock algorithm integrated with the code, release it as a bug fix FFS. I already paid for a working key lock! We all did!

I'm out =\
blackavenger 3:47 AM - 27 January, 2014
Quote:
I already paid for a working key lock! We all did!

No, you paid for the Keylock as it was when you purchased it. It didn't degrade over the years. It was as shitty as it is now, ever since it's inception. I know it sucks to hear, but you pay for the software as it is at the time of purchase.
FabulousFrequencies 4:11 AM - 27 January, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
I already paid for a working key lock! We all did!

No, you paid for the Keylock as it was when you purchased it. It didn't degrade over the years. It was as shitty as it is now, ever since it's inception. I know it sucks to hear, but you pay for the software as it is at the time of purchase.

Yes.. because we could all just HEAR the busted Keylock from the outside of the controller box. There is a huge difference between 'sucks' and 'broken'. We paid for working software at the time, that's what we paid for at the time of purchase. And if you think 'broken' is 'subjective' allow me to introduce: www.djtechtools.com

I'll save you some scroll time:

'Only Serato currently does not use an Elastique algorithm because Serato makes it own respected Pitch ‘n’ Time technology for time-stretching/compression.'

Now then.. Using the new pitch-n-time demo video up, does that sound like the Key lock we received? Because supposedly, it's the same. That article is dated 2009 so we should have been experiencing that same stellar pitch-n-time performance for quite some time now. It sure doesn't sound the same to me. It sounds like a wowed out, fluttery, POS that stutters past 6% and on some controllers it pops and clicks.

Serato Key lock is BASED on pitch-n-time.

It's Broken...

Broken,

Broken.

www.google.com

/out
blackavenger 4:32 AM - 27 January, 2014
Quote:
Yes.. because we could all just HEAR the busted Keylock from the outside of the controller box.

Hey, it's no one's fault but your own that you didn't do the adequate research on your controller before purchasing it.
FabulousFrequencies 4:43 AM - 27 January, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Yes.. because we could all just HEAR the busted Keylock from the outside of the controller box.

Hey, it's no one's fault but your own that you didn't do the adequate research on your controller before purchasing it.

You're absolutely correct (for once). And I should be fined $29.99 for it. You gonna be at Sams going away party? Send my regards.
blackavenger 4:56 AM - 27 January, 2014
Thanks for finally seeing it my way :)
FabulousFrequencies 5:04 AM - 27 January, 2014
Quote:
Thanks for finally seeing it my way :)

You're welcome. Thank you for putting a proper perspective on it.

Got my debit card out right now, and i'm not gonna sleep till I can pay my 29 dollar 'consumer stupidity tax' ;)
blackavenger 5:17 AM - 27 January, 2014
Quote:
Got my debit card out right now, and i'm not gonna sleep till I can pay my 29 dollar 'consumer stupidity tax' ;)

You see, there you go....now you're taking responsibility for your foolish behavior.

All joking aside, Keylock has always sucked. It came out in 2007, and was shit from the very beginning. Serato has already said that the reason it hasn't been fixed up until' now was because of the split format of ScratchLIVE & ITCH/SeratoDJ. Now that everything is under one roof, so to speak, it was finally ready to drop on the public. Maybe you haven't been around as long as some of us, but people (myself included) have been begging for an updated algorithm for a long-ass time. We have said that we were "willing" to pay for it, if that's what it took. Well, here we are with a vastly superior algorithm to what we've had.......and we've got our wallets out ready to do our part.
Unit:E 8:11 AM - 27 January, 2014
I would be happier about paying for it if I was allowed to adjust pitch independently of tempo. A "fixed" keylock algorithm could have easily been in an update with other fixes and some features added, and they could have charged for it that way. At least then it would seem to be worth it to more folks. But, there will always be those that complain about paying for anything...
pdidy 8:18 AM - 27 January, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

I'm not affected by the issue but I was more siding with fab on this one but then you had to play the "research" card.

Fuck ok, now I gotta agree with you as much as I preach that shit.....lol
A_Jack 8:41 AM - 27 January, 2014
I think having these expansion packs is a very good strategy. If it speeds up development and users can choose which features to buy, then its really a good thing for everyone.

Lets just hope it doesn't go totally overboard and soon you have to pay for a midi-mapping expansion pack also.
blackavenger 12:38 PM - 27 January, 2014
Quote:
Lets just hope it doesn't go totally overboard and soon you have to pay for a midi-mapping expansion pack also.

It's like I said in another thread, I am willing to pay for periodical updates (Traktor model), but those updates better be revolutionary.
FabulousFrequencies 6:12 PM - 27 January, 2014
Quote:
I would be happier about paying for it if I was allowed to adjust pitch independently of tempo. A "fixed" keylock algorithm could have easily been in an update with other fixes and some features added, and they could have charged for it that way. At least then it would seem to be worth it to more folks. But, there will always be those that complain about paying for anything...

Ok, this rationale I can get down with. Listen people, if this is basically the VST they're offering us for 29 bones, it's worth every penny. You can go LOOK at the VST on the pitch-n-time page. The VST has features and options that make it more than worth it as a tool for remixing. But if this is 'Check a box, Key lock magically works' I maintain my perspective.

EITHER way, Key lock needs fixed. It's broken.
Sounds By JB 6:23 PM - 27 January, 2014
Its pretty obvious that the guys at Serato have been developing their asses off in the past months. A shitload of new controllers, a 1.6 version, etc etc. All this guaranteeing Serato a stable place in the market, meaning, presuming managed well, company and product growth of which we will all benefit indirectly.

And all this has to be paid, in order to do that partially they offer us their $400 to $700 costing technology as $29 plugin. I bet there have been very heavy debates about this internally, since to me it almost sounds like selling out cheap.

For me I rather pay once in a while and keep the company doing financially well and continue new developments, than pay nothing and see the product and company collapsing under its own growth which it will if it tries to survive on only OEM agreements and a one time license sale which is a very short term financially unhealthy way of doing business.
blackavenger 6:25 PM - 27 January, 2014
Quote:
For me I rather pay once in a while and keep the company doing financially well and continue new developments, than pay nothing and see the product and company collapsing under its own growth which it will if it tries to survive on only OEM agreements and a one time license sale which is a very short term financially unhealthy way of doing business.

Word.
LJ_WOOLSEY 6:27 PM - 27 January, 2014
Can i pay yet? Take my money Serato :-)
Detroitbootybass 6:29 PM - 27 January, 2014
One more step towards the major airline's 'a-la-carte' pricing model.
DJ-XmanEvE2005 9:30 PM - 27 January, 2014
Quote:

And all this has to be paid, in order to do that partially they offer us their $400 to $700 costing technology as $29 plugin. I bet there have been very heavy debates about this internally, since to me it almost sounds like selling out cheap.

i dont see it as selling out cheap.
this plug in will indeed make the software allot more useful for allot of dj's

that in mind the sales level will be huge compared to the people that would buy it as a producer tool, this i feel will have a direct effect on the price per unit.

simple economics.

$29 is not so bad hell they charge the same for the fx packs and they are coming out like every month!
i have not heard anyone complain about paying for them.

if its good i will buy it.
if i have a use for it i will buy it.

its that simple.
Rebelguy 11:18 PM - 27 January, 2014
I really can't remember reading in the Scratchlive or Serato DJ manuals that it is stated that they used the Pitch N Time plug-in in the software. Let's suppose that at the time the program was released that portable computer specs were just not up to the challenge of integrating the plug-in into the program. I am sure these kind of processes being done in real time must put a strain on your cpu. Maybe at that time the Serato programmers developed a separate algorithm for use in the program. It wasn't the best but it worked and allowed the program to function at lower specs than a lot of the other programs on the market. Fast forward a few years and computer specs have caught up but we are still dealing with a product that costs $400-700 on its own. Realistically Serato is making around $100 off of each license they sell. I think $29 is a pretty fair price if the quality is there.

As far as other programs using elastique audio, this is for the "efficient" or mid-range version of the plug-in. The Pitch N Time for Serato DJ sounds like it is going to blow away the competitors from the samples we've heard so far. If they can make it happen and keep the cpu usage in check then the $29 price of admission will be worth it.
nik39 12:40 AM - 28 January, 2014
Quote:
Let's suppose that at the time the program was released that portable computer specs were just not up to the challenge of integrating the plug-in into the program.

This is true. PnT is a ressource hog!

Quote:
Maybe at that time the Serato programmers developed a separate algorithm for use in the program. It wasn't the best but it worked and allowed the program to function at lower specs than a lot of the other programs on the market.

Not only this.. Serato tried to find the best trade-off: Did anyone from you actually listened how other Keylock/Timestretch algorithm deal with 1. timing 2. scratching? The Keylock in SL/Itch respected timing and esp. drums etc always remained sharp and crispy. If you have played around with different KL algorithms you might know that there is always a trade off. Either you can make long tones sound good (SL does not, it "chops" them up) or you can make short, attacky sounds (like drums) sound good (SL does, even when you scratch it sounds okay). The drum sounds, when using SL's keylock do not sound washed out. They still stay crispy.

Also, at that time.. SL's keylock was using very, very little ressources compared to other ressource-monsters. Times have changed. CPUs are much more powerful now. But even then, I guess we can expect that PnT DJ will have noticeable impact on the CPU. I know that when SL brought KL to us (BTW, this was for free too, just as all the other features which came in the last past almost ten years!) there was some discussion on the forums about having PnT support, so I dl'ed the PnT demo and I had to calculate my timestretchings/pitch shifting offline. My fastest computer at that time (it was a beast ;) ) was simply not able to run PnT in realtime.

In a nutshell, I don't think the regular KL is broken. It's a trade-off.

PnT DJ is something totally different. Being able to buy the regular PnT algorithm for not even 1/20th of the original price ($799 vs $29) can be classified as a steal for me.
deejdave 2:04 AM - 28 January, 2014
Quote:
PnT DJ is something totally different. Being able to buy the regular PnT algorithm for not even 1/20th of the original price ($799 vs $29) can be classified as a steal for me.

Truth
nik39 2:12 AM - 28 January, 2014
(correction, of course you're not buying the algorithm, sounds similar to "I bought Serato" ;) You're buying a license, which allows you to use an implementation of the algorithm)
Unit:E 3:02 AM - 28 January, 2014
We can't compare the two because I think we are just getting a "click this box and time stretching will sound awesome" option, not the full plug-in that is used in Pro Tools.

We are NOT getting this...

Serato Pitch 'n Time Pro 3.0 gives you great-sounding time stretching and pitch shifting in Pro Tools. You get time compression/expansion from 1/8 speed to 8 x speed, and pitch shifting of up to 36 semitones - plus real-time preview. Time-stretch and pitch-shift functions each sport three interchangeable panels, from fixed ratios to complicated pitch and tempo changes that fluctuate over time. You can even warp sample timing by simply placing markers and moving them around. If you need to manipulate pitch and time in Pro Tools, you need Serato Pitch 'n Time Pro.

So, comparing it to a $700 VST/Plug-in isn't correct.
deejdave 4:56 AM - 28 January, 2014
I would think we are paying a fraction to get the algorithm & apply it to our sets. Not for nothing if this is successful I see no reason why it could not be a door to more customization & even more plug-ins that we can benefit from. Prior to this it was a dream to even have a working key lock. NOW we can start knocking on the door of customizable options......... hopefully Serato will answer this door.

So you are correct in saying:

Quote:

Serato Pitch 'n Time Pro 3.0 gives you great-sounding time stretching and pitch shifting in Pro Tools. You get time compression/expansion from 1/8 speed to 8 x speed, and pitch shifting of up to 36 semitones - plus real-time preview. Time-stretch and pitch-shift functions each sport three interchangeable panels, from fixed ratios to complicated pitch and tempo changes that fluctuate over time. You can even warp sample timing by simply placing markers and moving them around. If you need to manipulate pitch and time in Pro Tools, you need Serato Pitch 'n Time Pro.

HOWEVER we are getting the magic behind it.

Between the SZ, Pitch N Time and now this serato.com I would say I have at least the electric bill for the month covered over there LOL.

They are seriously gettin to work lately. The key lock was huge. Hopefully some more large scale issues will be addressed in near future.

I mean I am sorry and I am NOT trying to piss anyone off but I take my craft seriously and ANYTHING that can get me one step closer to perfection is welcomed with a smile. The main part of being unique and relevant is separating yourself from the crowd. I don't think you have to analyze this very far to realize the majority of people here will NOT be purchasing this. This is due to a huge amount of hobbyists & beginners due to the success of controllers. This is fine as it adds a heap of revenue for R&D for all. Things like this will most likely (IMO at least) make its way onto the machines of the more experienced DJ's as let's face it many people don't even know what this is. On the djtechtools.com forum you even have people FLAT OUT saying they can't even find the difference. LMAO.
clearblu 10:26 AM - 28 January, 2014
I'm not arsed about paying less than £20 for pitch n time. We've been using it for year's! Ha ha.
Seriously good piece of software and there is your answer for keylock if its that important.
Paying for things shouldn't be an issue if your professional and not a 'part timer'
I mean how dare they charge for a plug in that work's
nik39 12:54 PM - 28 January, 2014
Quote:
We can't compare the two because I think we are just getting a "click this box and time stretching will sound awesome" option, not the full plug-in that is used in Pro Tools.

I am comparing the algorithm, which is the same. Not the whole tool box.

Also remember we can manipulate the audio in real time, live. Something PnT is not able to. So the tool box is indeed something different. Some of the mentioned features don't even make sense in a live DJ environment. So, we're getting the best from PnT - which is the algorithm. $29 is still a steal :)
djcruz99 4:50 PM - 28 January, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

I am comparing the algorithm, which is the same. Not the whole tool box.

Also remember we can manipulate the audio in real time, live. Something PnT is not able to. So the tool box is indeed something different. Some of the mentioned features don't even make sense in a live DJ environment. So, we're getting the best from PnT - which is the algorithm. $29 is still a steal :)

I think most DJ's don't want an over complicated plug in. They just want it to sound great. This is going to sound great and cost $29. When you think about all the creative options at your fingertips, this is going to be awesome. The best part is if you don't need or want it you don't have to buy it.
Mike from Chicago 5:55 PM - 28 January, 2014
Quote:
Guess principles are out the window on this one. And some of the replies, Jesus. No wonder companies won't man up, there's just no shortage of people happy as SHIT to accept a faulty product.

'Oh well.. what else are we gonna do? ya know? It's not like other companies don't fuck us too. Look at the bright side, at least something works on it, right? That's better than nothing. I'd pay for that bending over. --- insert more repetitive consumer apathy and excuses here --- '

This reminds me of those old movie skits, where some diabolical master mind would poison someone, and offer to sell them the antidote. Except, I never thought i'd watch it unfold in real life some day. Yet here we are!

Key lock is broken.

Broken,

Broken,

Broken.

If they have a working key lock algorithm integrated with the code, release it as a bug fix FFS. I already paid for a working key lock! We all did!

I'm out =\

I agree with this comment!
LJ_WOOLSEY 6:09 PM - 28 January, 2014
^ i agree your a cheap ass
clearblu 6:11 PM - 28 January, 2014
Ha ha @ Woolsey.
God forbid you have to pay hard currency for a plug in or vst.
Next record companies will want paying for music
blackavenger 6:14 PM - 28 January, 2014
Quote:
^ i agree your a cheap ass

haha
FabulousFrequencies 6:43 PM - 28 January, 2014
Yes, everything in life must be free for all.. /sarcasm.

I already paid Serato for Key lock. Nowhere on the box did it say 'some features will not work correctly no matter what you do, and if we ever do fix it we deserve a reward..'

If it's a full blown VST, i'll pay. If it's a fixed Key lock, they can KMA. Right now it's all speculation on what exactly they're delivering.

If all the money bag fan boys jerking off with official Serato masturbation sleeves feel these people just deserve free money, then you're no better than the people who feel they deserve free shit. And if the money is burning a hole in your pocket to the point where it's causing you pain in your extremities; Setup a damn chip-in for Serato and just throw it at them already. Don't let people who want bug fixes stand in your way and blame us for hindering your Serato circle jerk. If they just fix the existing keylock for the next release, i'll even buy you kids the lube!
LJ_WOOLSEY 6:51 PM - 28 January, 2014
Lol cool story! And it is just the pitch n time keylock serato have already confirmed that.

Look at it how you want! Buy or don't buy. Have ok keylock or the best leylock.
End of the day it is upto you!

I'm more than happy to pay for improvements! Fanboy? Lol no just i buy the tools i need todo my job!
wadup 6:54 PM - 28 January, 2014
Quote:
Lol cool story! And it is just the pitch n time keylock serato have already confirmed that.

Look at it how you want! Buy or don't buy. Have ok keylock or the best leylock.
End of the day it is upto you!

I'm more than happy to pay for improvements! Fanboy? Lol no just i buy the tools i need todo my job!

+1
clearblu 7:07 PM - 28 January, 2014
Lets add up what Ableton has cost me-lots
Lets add up what Serato has cost me- not a lot
I'm not arsed as long as something works,people must think Serato get ridiculous percentages on controller sales.
We asked for it to be fixed or improved.
It has.
It costs money for the fix
So what its fixed
Pay money- enjoy
Don't pay money and whine on
FabulousFrequencies 7:19 PM - 28 January, 2014
Quote:
Lol cool story!

Best ya got?

Quote:
it is just the pitch n time keylock serato have already confirmed that.

Then they can KMA, and i've just confirmed that ;)

Quote:
just i buy the tools i need todo my job!

Like Key Lock? You already paid for it. Wanna pay twice? That's sucker shit.

I already paid for 3 vci's, and thus 3 licenses. But it's the same controller, and I use 1 copy of Serato. Shouldn't I feel 'entitled' ? But I don't. I just want what was sold to me; functioning software.

And I am just as entitled to sit here and sling shit off my soap box as you are, or anybody else about it. You call me cheap, I call me principled. I've dropped more dimes than Derek Jeter to get what I want, when I want it, money ain't a problem. But i'm not paying these people a 4th time for the same shit. I wouldn't have paid them them 2nd or 3rd time if omitting the software license from the box was an option. Like I said, you feel like they deserve something? Setup a chip-in and start a Serato charity. But I got news for you, this company isn't struggling to keep the lights on.

www.nzte.govt.nz

' Serato has performed strongly over the last two years, with the company growing from 36 to 70 staff. And, has experienced an estimated 65% growth in income in the last five years. It filed three new trademark applications in 2012 for the US, Japan, Canada, New Zealand and the EU. '

&&&&&&&&&&

' Serato is a finalist for the ANZ Best Business with revenue of $10m to $50m in the 2013 New Zealand International Business Awards. '

They're just STARVING I tell ya!
LJ_WOOLSEY 7:35 PM - 28 January, 2014
I hope a dj under cuts all your work the uses all this on you lol Man all this over $29!!

You don't realise how cheap you make your self sound!

I did not pay for pitch n time keylock ever! I paid Rane and serato software and they included a free update that had keylock as a feature and i ised it for YEARS!! Now it has pitch and time keylock that is better and they charge!

Man its like you saying to Rane give me a sl-2 for FREE i already paid for a good sound card in the SL-1 now you use a better soundcard!!!

Ect ect ect.

$29 lol lol one song request and its paid for! One night i dont have a takeaway its paid for!
Jeez!!

By the way you might wana pick your toys up!
Rebelguy 7:39 PM - 28 January, 2014
Quote:
I hope a dj under cuts all your work the uses all this on you lol Man all this over $29!!

You don't realise how cheap you make your self sound!

I did not pay for pitch n time keylock ever! I paid Rane and serato software and they included a free update that had keylock as a feature and i ised it for YEARS!! Now it has pitch and time keylock that is better and they charge!

Man its like you saying to Rane give me a sl-2 for FREE i already paid for a good sound card in the SL-1 now you use a better soundcard!!!

Ect ect ect.

$29 lol lol one song request and its paid for! One night i dont have a takeaway its paid for!
Jeez!!

By the way you might wana pick your toys up!

But it's the principal man. Hahaha.
FabulousFrequencies 7:42 PM - 28 January, 2014
Principles ain't about dollars. I wouldn't care if they asked 1 RED CENT for it. You got key lock as a free upgrade with your software? I'm happy for you. I PAID for Keylock in MY software. Ya dig? I paid for it, you got it for FREE. I could turn around and take the dick move position and say that if YOU got Keylock as a FREE upgrade, than I should get the NEW keylock as a FREE upgrade. Right? Looks about right to me. But I don't even want all that, I just want the one they sold me to work :)

My licensed Serato software came with Key lock, and it's broken. You're obviously not even part of the same argument arena on this.

Quote:
But it's the principal man. Hahaha.

There's principalities to this shit!
LJ_WOOLSEY 7:46 PM - 28 January, 2014
Good luck! Getting it for free!
FabulousFrequencies 7:48 PM - 28 January, 2014
Quote:
Good luck! Getting it for free!

You got yours for free! :P
LJ_WOOLSEY 7:49 PM - 28 January, 2014
I got both for free ;-) and both my rane boxes! Infact i never paid for any dj gear! My customers paid for it all!
FabulousFrequencies 7:52 PM - 28 January, 2014
Quote:
I got both for free ;-) and both my rane boxes! Infact i never paid for any dj gear! My customers paid for it all!

Did it operate itself too? And if it does, where can I purchase it?

I hope it's cheap... my struggle is real ya know iactafool.com
LJ_WOOLSEY 7:54 PM - 28 January, 2014
I got a steering wheel addon you can buy for that issue $29
FabulousFrequencies 7:57 PM - 28 January, 2014
Quote:
I got a steering wheel addon you can buy for that issue $29

Nah, I purchased the car with a wheel already, they just didn't deliver a wheel. Think I should go back and beg for it with an open wallet?
LJ_WOOLSEY 8:09 PM - 28 January, 2014
Haha
blackavenger 8:12 PM - 28 January, 2014
You're only hurting yourself, Fab. I mean it's not as if Serato are going to feel sorry for your plight, and give you a free PnT plugin. So go on & on w' your whining, and while the rest of us are enjoying this superior Keylock (that we paid extra for) you can be off on the sideline with your convictions.

At this point you're a broken record.
FabulousFrequencies 8:43 PM - 28 January, 2014
Quote:
You're only hurting yourself, Fab. I mean it's not as if Serato are going to feel sorry for your plight, and give you a free PnT plugin. So go on & on w' your whining, and while the rest of us are enjoying this superior Keylock (that we paid extra for) you can be off on the sideline with your convictions.

At this point you're a broken record.

ROFL! I'd think you'd be a better troll with all the practice. I give that a 5 at best. Maybe +1 for using 'convictions' in a sentence.. That was a nice touch!

Let's all be real for a second, i'll never see the new Keylock, open wallet or not. Because i'm not an SDJ user and probably never will be. I champion for people and principles, not selfishness (which is the core root of cheapness, BTW). It's also, sadly, the core root of most attitudes around here. The simple fact of the matter is, Serato has all but abandoned my gear of choice despite renegotiating a contract with Vestax and users with my gear have taken a back seat, in another car, on an entirely different road; lost.

They are aware of the operational troubles, have taken note, and then turned their backs with more of that 'someday, we just don't know when' bullshit.. So I have never accepted anything 'free' from this company, including the SDJ upgrade, and am 'stuck' with what they handed me. So be it. I have already moved on to other platforms and they actually work. I only stick around this dump to see if anything ever changes and help Vestax users. I suppose unselfishness is an overlooked quality, a lonely road, and makes me often misunderstood.

I'm OK with that.
Rebelguy 8:43 PM - 28 January, 2014
My question is why is the current keylock considerd broken. It works, just not as well as other ones out there.
Rebelguy 8:47 PM - 28 January, 2014
Quote:
Because i'm not an SDJ user and probably never will be.

Wow...now who's the troll?

Move along folks...nothing to see here.

Since you quoted a djtechtools article before I can only guess you are a traktor user feeling threatened by Serato. Don't you have some complaints you can bother them with?
FabulousFrequencies 8:50 PM - 28 January, 2014
Quote:
My question is why is the current keylock considerd broken. It works, just not as well as other ones out there.

The audio output is disturbingly unusable past 3% for the majority of users. For me, anything beyond 6%. It's not a matter of pitch locking quality, it's the fact that the output past a specific domain amount is rendered so poorly that you wouldn't want anyone to be subjected to it. There are recordings out there of it.

Quote:
Wow...now who's the troll?

Move along folks...nothing to see here.

Since you quoted a djtechtools article before I can only guess you are a traktor user feeling threatened by Serato. Don't you have some complaints you can bother them with?

Guess you never heard of ITCH.
Detroitbootybass 8:51 PM - 28 January, 2014
Quote:

It hasn't ever worked - at least not without horrible audio distortions (and that doesn't qualify as 'working' or even 'acceptable' in my book).
blackavenger 9:05 PM - 28 January, 2014
Quote:
ROFL! I'd think you'd be a better troll with all the practice. I give that a 5 at best. Maybe +1 for using 'convictions' in a sentence.. That was a nice touch!

Thank you, I thought it was a nice touch too ;)
Ragman 10:28 PM - 28 January, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

It hasn't ever worked - at least not without horrible audio distortions (and that doesn't qualify as 'working' or even 'acceptable' in my book).

The current keylock is not broken, it's just poorly developed. Like calling a 64kbs mp3 broken.
nik39 10:31 PM - 28 January, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The current keylock is not broken, it's just poorly developed. Like calling a 64kbs mp3 broken.

+1
deejdave 10:33 PM - 28 January, 2014
As you can see by many of the comments MANY have no idea what is even wrong with it. IF you are one of the ones who ARE able to tell $29 should be a no brainer. The one's who have no idea will NT be purchasing this valuable tool and I feel like this is the way it was meant to be.
Ragman 10:35 PM - 28 January, 2014
^Agreed
clearblu 10:41 PM - 28 January, 2014
That's the point I was making
I can't say to Ableton 'I'm not paying for plug-ins or vst's I want them free for life'
People need to realize SOME of us buy things to improve our skillset.
SOME of us even buy music........
deejdave 10:49 PM - 28 January, 2014
SOME of us!! What a CRAZY concept! With every thing they release I get this fuzzy "pimp my Serato" feeling. That was just with the flair stuff. THIS is beyond the realm of crucial.
blackavenger 10:57 PM - 28 January, 2014
Quote:

I imagine those who are unwilling to pay for this plugin are more than likely the "torrent type".

Quote:

Perfect analogy......nailed it!
nik39 10:58 PM - 28 January, 2014
Nailed it? He said it's not broken.
blackavenger 10:59 PM - 28 January, 2014
cute, nik ;)
pdidy 11:09 PM - 28 January, 2014
Quote:
cute, nik ;)

nik is a lil confused, he gets like that sometimes.....
nik39 11:19 PM - 28 January, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

I imagine those who are unwilling to pay for this plugin are more than likely the "torrent type".

Quote:

Perfect analogy......nailed it!

Quote:
Nailed it? He said it's not broken.

Oops, sorry, I thought Fabulous posted that. My bad ;)
FabulousFrequencies 11:39 PM - 28 January, 2014
At least the 64k encoding will replay without ADDING anything. And why is a compression algorithm being compared to a time stretching algorithm?

Pick one.

1) Concede that *every*, single, solitary DJ software on the market today, including the free ones did it better than Serato.

OR

2) It's broken.
LJ_WOOLSEY 11:42 PM - 28 January, 2014
Why do care you have no interest in serato
FabulousFrequencies 11:50 PM - 28 January, 2014
Quote:
Why do care you have no interest in serato

Deflection 101..
Unit:E 11:55 PM - 28 January, 2014
If SDJ had a better algorithm that was comparable to the other DJ software out there, would you pay $29 for PnT DJ? I would.
deejdave 12:13 AM - 29 January, 2014
+1

Quote:
At least the 64k encoding will replay without ADDING anything.

The 64K will play but sound horrible. I believe this is the same way the Key lock is described by many. It's there and it works it just sounds horrible. I rarely ran into any issues with this due to the style of music I play. When I work private gigs I come across it little more but when I do clubs OR play for fun I RARELY run into any issues.

I never thought $29 could cause such a stir. It reminds me of some of the guys who complain about Serato Remote Mini when it costs like $5 (if I remember correctly) They didn't do their research as the Ipad version didn't even have the features they wanted (so they should've known a smaller version wouldn't either), slammed it eternally, and had a problem with the amount charger. I understand this is a little different BUT still $5, $29.............. BOTH cost less than an hour of work at the day job. Not to mention it will help you with your first love. If you don't have a day job and DJing is your meal ticket this again SHOULD be a no brainer.
blackavenger 12:15 AM - 29 January, 2014
Quote:
1) Concede that *every*, single, solitary DJ software on the market today, including the free ones did it better than Serato.

I'll concede that. But it still doesn't mean that it is "broken". It just means that it is shit. Like we've been telling you, it has always been this bad. It's not as though it was good at one point, and then degraded over time. So, for you to keep saying "it's broken, it's broken" is a little annoying. It behaves the same way today as the moment that it was released.

PnT plugin is the solution to that.
FabulousFrequencies 12:24 AM - 29 January, 2014
Quote:
The 64K will play but sound horrible. I believe this is the same way the Key lock is described by many.

Yes, 64k will sound that way, because that is exactly how a 64kbs mp3 is suppose to sound. It's not broken. It's stripped down, compressed, and poorly reconstructed. Time stretching is not compression.

Quote:
But it still doesn't mean that it is "broken"

When it can lock key across the time domain stretch and not return a molested waveform; It works. Until then; it doesn't. I'm not accepting a grey area here, there is no logic in it.

Dude, i'll bail out on this thread... but there are more like me and they'll come along to keep ya plenty busy. Bet on that :)
deejdave 12:26 AM - 29 January, 2014
Quote:
It's not as though it was good at one point, and then degraded over time.

Actually makes a LOT of sense. For something to be broken it would have had to be working (or fixed) in the first place.
DJ-XmanEvE2005 3:19 AM - 29 January, 2014
ok the way i see this little storm in a tea cup going on here is simple.

if you buy a car you can have the basic one (which will drive you to the store and back no problems)
or
you can buy the same car fully loaded with all the toys.

now face it you pay extra for the "ADD ON's"

thats what this is plain and simple

its an add on a better set of tires or faster engine ect ect.

ford wont give you a sat nav for free in the car coz you say you deserve it.

if you need the add on (or more like WANT it) then buy it.

if the program wont work to your needs then update it with the add on.

serato is a business not a damn charity.
DJ Quartz 5:04 AM - 29 January, 2014
Someone FINALLY said it!

PnT DJ is an ADD-ON, not a fixed key lock like everyone is trying make it out to be.

We're paying for the customization of it being able to 'plug' into Serato DJ.

Pay your $29 and relax, it could have been $50
clearblu 9:33 AM - 29 January, 2014
Cost of Ableton per month on Vsts,add ons-average $200 per
Cost of Serato per month-nil
Cost IF I want to buy Effects or ESSENTIAL plug ins
-less than $100 a year.
Beatport and Juno per month-$300 per (at least)
Cost of not worrying-priceless.
I'll bet some tight arses are seeing if they can find a torrent for PnT right now!
blackavenger 12:43 PM - 29 January, 2014
Quote:
I'll bet some tight arses are seeing if they can find a torrent for PnT right now!

Hahaha, probably so.
Rebelguy 4:01 PM - 29 January, 2014
Quote:

Dude, i'll bail out on this thread... but there are more like me and they'll come along to keep ya plenty busy. Bet on that :)

You mean guys that don't even use the program coming to complain about it? Awesome.
Ragman 5:13 PM - 29 January, 2014
^Nice... :-)
Unit:E 1:51 AM - 1 February, 2014
Can a Serato rep or maybe someone else (I'll do it for a free copy) compare the difference between the current algorithm and the PnT DJ plug in and upload a video of it? The TechTools video only shows with plugin and without plugin, no keylock. I want to hear the current keylock pitch adjustments and the plugin adjustments. Make sense?

You got my email address to send me that copy.....
LJ_WOOLSEY 1:55 AM - 1 February, 2014
You for real? Thats exactly how it is in the video sdj normal keylock and pitch n time keylock.
Unit:E 2:01 AM - 1 February, 2014
Ok, I take that back. I didn't catch it the first time around. Disregard...
pdidy 7:27 PM - 1 February, 2014
wow
ODDreDEALER 11:17 PM - 19 February, 2014
Watch the DJ TechTools video. (The link is in the first post here by djcruz99.) Look at the track gain at 1:37-2:01. Then same Outkast song with PnT enabled 2:07-2:57 gain is now in the red, sure to be activating the limiter. I have also heard this can cause your computer to crash if you abuse the limiter for an extended period of time. Anybody here buy the PnT DJ plugin yet? Now that I have it installed, I am seeing all my tracks hit the red when I enable it as well. Turn it off and everything is back to normal. It looks like for $29 Pitch and Time DJ also adds some gain to your tracks. Anyone else having this issue? I am using Serato DJ 1.6 on a mac OS X 10.8.5 with Novation Twitch.
acemc 12:25 AM - 20 February, 2014
@ODDreDEALER - Well spotted!!
So I decided to test this and..... You're right.
There is definitely an overall gain increase with PnT enabled.
I actually lowered the gain of the track without PnT enabled so that the meters stay in green. As you can see in the video, with PnT enabled the meters are in the yellow.
This is a problem as most of my tracks peak in the yellow with PnT enabled. So with it enabled they peak in the red. Overall though, I'm super happy with the quality of this plugin and certainly feel it's well worth the money.
With that said, Serato NEED to sort out the extra gain staging PnT is adding to our tracks.
I'm certainly not in the mood to re-analyze my entire collection.

youtu.be
acemc 12:31 AM - 20 February, 2014
Quote:
This is a problem as most of my tracks peak in the yellow with PnT enabled

Should be - DISABLED!!!

Also, I notice in the DJTT video the guy manages to get +-100% pitch.
How to get that? I can select 50% max!! (using DDJ-SX)
deejdave 12:32 AM - 20 February, 2014
The +/- 100% feature is controller specific and the DDJ-SX does not have the capability. SX is as I am sure you aware +/- 50% only.
acemc 1:28 AM - 20 February, 2014
Quote:
The +/- 100% feature is controller specific

Oh, ok. I was just curious, I'd probably never use it anyway.
Thanks for the info.
young3 2:17 AM - 20 February, 2014
+1,In the red. (Rane 62).
musiclee 5:03 AM - 20 February, 2014
Red usually means distortion or close to it.
ODDreDEALER 6:18 PM - 20 February, 2014
My apologies to @djcruz99, I was thinking it may look a bit like a forum high jack here so I started a help request. If Pitch N Time DJ plugin gain is a problem for you please post up here (serato.com). Also named dropped a couple peeps from this forum discussion that stated they had the same issue. Hope to see results soon and will report back... oh and thanks @acemc for the pat on the back on spotting this issue ; )

Beside all this, I still love the new PnT DJ plugin. Sound quality is an astounding improvement and feel the amount of money I paid was a worthy investment. I understand everyone may have a different financial situation but currently not interested in the politics of paying for these features or just including them in free updates.