Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

SL1 and Mbox2 in Ableton

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
Rane SL1
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
Toldoe 7:15 PM - 16 January, 2014
Hello
Im running Ableton with an Mbox2. It works fine. But when I install Serato, the Mbox-Driver isnt working anymore. But Serato works. If I reinstall the Mbox-Driver, Serato wont recognize the hardware anymore. But the Mbox works again. Then, if i reinstall the Serato-Driver the Mbox doesnt work. And so on...
It seems like those two drivers (SL1 and Mbox) knock each other out.
Ive seen a thread of a user with similar problems but with a mac. So it didnit work for me.
I hope you can help me.
Serato, Support
Scott S 7:38 PM - 16 January, 2014
Hi there Toldoe,

You will have to check the system preferences to see which unit your system is using as the soundcard. Since the SL 1 is a soundcard, it cant be used in conjunction with another soundcard.

I assume that when you install the Mbox driver, it sets the Mbox as the default audio driver, however, when you plug in and install the SL driver, your computer now switches that to be the main audio driver. You can not have two sound cards running at the same time (as in, using the SL 1 to activate Scratch Live and use the Mbox to route audio through).

It seems like running the SL 1 by itself seems to work fine, which is how it should be used. Stick to ignoring the Mbox when you are in DJ situations and you should be fine :)

Regards
Toldoe 8:09 PM - 16 January, 2014
But it worked together in win xp 32bit. I was able to scratch .wav samples i exported of ableton with serato and record the mixer output with the input from the mbox into ableton. And ableton used the mbox as soundcard. Thats how i want it to work again on my 64bit system.
I use serato not for djing but more for producing. Eg. scratching synths and whatnot...
Serato, Support
Scott S 8:38 PM - 16 January, 2014
Thanks for the information, I wasn't aware that running 2 sound cards in this setup would work. Since using other sound cards with SL boxes has caused issues in the past I was only assuming you were running into the same problem.

Quote:
I was able to scratch .wav samples i exported of ableton with serato and record the mixer output with the input from the mbox into ableton.

Do you do this with both applications open at the same time? Are you using The Bridge or do you just go back and forth between Ableton and Serato?

If you check your system preferences in the sound section, what device is being used for the sound output when you are running Ableton? Does this ever change?

Is the Mbox set as the audio driver inside the Ableton preferences? If you open Serato at the same time as Ableton is open, would the audio driver inside Ableton not switch to "Serato" to activate The Bridge?

Regards
Toldoe 10:13 PM - 16 January, 2014
The situation is like this:
In ableton, the driver is set to MBOX. Ableton runs as usual. No problem there.
If i start up serato, it says that hardware is disconnected. If i unplug it and replug it, a screen shows up and tells me that SL1 is not found. And in the hardware manager, theres this yellow ! next to the Rane SL1.
What I could do now is reinstall Serato. Then it would work again. But the Mbox wouldnt work anymore.
I dont use the Bridge. Id like to run both programs simultaniously and switch back and forth between them. Like Sampling from Vinyl. With the difference that the sound comes from my laptop and goes back into my soundcard.
Serato, Support
Scott S 11:01 PM - 16 January, 2014
Thanks Toldoe, It seems like the Mbox could be the issue in this setup, as it looks like it is causing conflict with the SL box.

We dont officially support the use of two sound cards at one time with Scratch Live, as this has been known to cause issues in the past. There could have been something changed in the version of Windows 7 you have verses XP that allowed this to function earlier.

Have a look around the forums, there might be some one who is currently using a setup similar to this, however for use with Scratch Live we do not support using two sound cards, as it is known to cause issue.
Toldoe 10:07 AM - 17 January, 2014
So you dont support recording from Serato into Ableton? But theres soooo much potential in the combination of these softwares! Like creating your own battlebreaks, scratching rare accapellas you dont want to ruin on vinyl, messing around with your own sounds, and so on...
Are you sure you cant help me? I mean like an "unofficial" idea how to manage that...
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:21 PM - 17 January, 2014
I believe the issue here is that both of these sound cards are USB 1.1 devices and I'm guessing you have an Intel "i" series processor in your computer?

Its an issue with your OS when coupled with the "i" series processors and USB 1.1 devices.
You may be able to get both sound cards seen without them getting kicked out by plugging either device into specific ports. I would also suggest making sure you have all the latest chipset and BIOS updates from the manufacturer of your computer's website.

Worst case scenario you can't get them working I would suggest updating one of your soundcards to a soundcard with a USB 2.0 or better input.
Serato, Support
Scott S 9:28 PM - 20 January, 2014
Quote:
So you dont support recording from Serato into Ableton? But theres soooo much potential in the combination of these softwares!

This was the point of The Bridge originally, to use the two programs together. When running Scratch Live and Ableton at the same time The Bridge activates and changes the audio output in the Ableton preferences to "Serato", meaning that audio is now being routed through the Serato software and through the Serato sound device (be a SL box or Rane mixer).

Im sure you are aware of The Bridge already, but this is the kinda stuff you can do with it > Watchwww.youtube.com. You can still scratch rare accapellas this way, create your own battlebreaks etc, it's just the sound is coming through your SL box, not the Mbox. You might find some helpful information in this thread > serato.com

Im actually struggling to see how you managed to get two soundcards being active at the same time (SL 1 to produce audio out of the Mbox). Usually one soundcard would cancel the other one out (like you have been experiencing) and not allow audio to pass through the other. If you disable the SL 1 as a soundcard then Scratch Live wont work, if you disable the Mbox as soundcard then you will get no audio (out of the Mbox).
8:00 AM, 4 Feb 2014
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.