Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Recording audio from serato into ableton

Product
The Bridge
Version
Ableton
Scratch Live
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
Dj Beasey 8:01 PM - 28 January, 2011
Product: thebridge
Computer: mac
OS Version: 10.5.8
---

Is it possible to record the audio I play in Serato straight to Ableton without having to record it in serato first? For example if I have an instrumental playing on Ableton can I set up a new audio track and select the input to come from serato so I can record my cuts from serato? If this isn't possible with the bridge which is kinda of what im finding on my own is there another way around it such as purchasing a separate audio interface to record from serato right into ableton as I can do with pro tools?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 9:40 PM - 3 February, 2011
Hey Dj Beasey,

Unfortunately this is not possible with The Bridge 1.0. You will need to record this audio within Scratch Live then load it to a new clip in Ableton Live. While this is not possible currently, we are looking to continue improving The Bridge and adding functionality for future versions. If you think this is a great idea that we should be looking at I would suggest you post a feature suggestion here:

www.serato.com

You should be able to record directly into Ableton using a separate sound card although this will only record the master output of your mixer.

Please let me know if you have any further questions :)

Sam.
djcrap 2:08 PM - 11 February, 2011
Dj Beasey if you have a tt57 or 68 this is what you need to do to achieve what you are looking for all you need is another sound card as Sam suggested then follow these steps and you good to go

1st the hardware routing. it doesn't matter what soundcard you use...

1. 1 set of cables in your sound card out routed to the flex fx in.
2. 1 set of cables in your sound card in routed to the flex fx out.
3. your speakers HAVE TO BE attached to your mixer for this to work. (master or aux)
4. arm the flex fx button: if you want to record the left deck, push the left button in. if you want to record the right deck, push the right button in.

now for the computer stuff...

1. open ableton
2.open serato
3. open ableton preferences
4. under driver type, select your soundcard (not the serato driver) then select the proper in/out settings pertaining to your sound card.
5. load empty audio track in ableton
6. (arm record) in the audio track you've loaded there will be a little rectangle with a circle in it. click that with your mouse. it will turn red.
7. load your ableton set on the serato deck you DO NOT want to loop. (see the bridge pdf instructions if your confused)
8. load any file you want on the serato deck you DO want to loop.
9. push play on both decks. you should now see your signal level in ableton regerstering.
10. push rec. if you don't know how to do record in ableton you need to get familiar. there are many settings and tools for looping in ableton live. what settings work for you is what works best.

after you record into your track in ableton the audio will be bounced on to the turntable with the "ableton set" playing on it.
djcrap 2:24 PM - 11 February, 2011
^^^^^ this is the same kind of connection setup from serato to ableton that Dj eskei83 is using in this video below

Watchwww.youtube.com
10:31 PM, 4 May 2011
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.