Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Create Crates on an external hard drive and not save music to my internal drive

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
Rane SL1
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
DJ Splerge 1:35 PM - 15 January, 2014
I'm fairly new to serato (making the transition from vdj) and in the past I've always kept my music saved on external drives and kept nothing saved on my mac's internal drive. Now I want to know if I can create crates on my external drive with all my music files and when I plug it into my mac, serato will recognize the crates and not save them to my internal drive but just read it from my external drive. Does this make sense? I've searched the forum and read a few discussions but nothing really specific to this topic. If anyone can offer any insight on how to go about doing this PLEASE help me out! I want to make this transition as easy as possible! Thank you in advance!
Konix 5:24 PM - 15 January, 2014
That's how it works already, just make your crates and put the songs from the external drive in them, and the crates get saved to the external drive (in the _Serato_ folder on the root level of the external drive). Now you can plug the external drive into any computer (not just yours) and your crates will show.
DJ Splerge 5:34 PM - 15 January, 2014
Quote:
That's how it works already, just make your crates and put the songs from the external drive in them, and the crates get saved to the external drive (in the _Serato_ folder on the root level of the external drive). Now you can plug the external drive into any computer (not just yours) and your crates will show.

ok im still a little confused, i apologize. But I don't have any serato files saved on my external at all. SSL is saved to my mac obviously. How would i go about creating a serato file on my external hard drive in order to save the crates in their and have them open up in SSL when my external is plugged in?
Konix 5:42 PM - 15 January, 2014
Again, that's how it already works by design. The Scratch Live program/app itself has to stay on your internal drive obviously, but just make your crates like normal, put your songs from the external drive into the crates, and the crates get saved automatically to the external drive when you exit the program. Where the actual song files come from determines where the crate files get saved to. So if the songs come from an external drive, then the crates get saved to the external drive (and likewise for songs on the internal drive).

Also it's important to note, and maybe where you're confused, is that you will also have a _Serato_ folder in your Music folder on the internal drive. That folder is also needed as it stores things like effects, recordings, MIDI settings, etc. for the main program, in addition to crates for songs on the internal drive. The external drive's _Serato_ folder only stores crates.
DJ Splerge 5:49 PM - 15 January, 2014
AWESOME! thanks konix I appreciate the help!
DJ Splerge 12:44 AM - 16 January, 2014
soo i did everything Konix said and still nothing. I created my crates and they didnt save. nor is there any file on my external drive labeled _serato_ . maybe i need a better explanation. so in short, i made the crates with my external plugged in, everything was good. i exited SSL and backed up library. opened SSL again and nothing saved. its like i was never in it
DJ Splerge 1:02 AM - 16 January, 2014
could it be because my external drive is formatted as Windows NT File System (NTFS)? it still reads all the files fine and work properly
Konix 1:04 PM - 16 January, 2014
Quote:
could it be because my external drive is formatted as Windows NT File System (NTFS)? it still reads all the files fine and work properly

Yep, that's the problem. Macs cannot write to Windows NTFS drives, they're read only.

You'll need to reformat the drive to either FAT32/exFAT or Mac HFS+.

See this video... Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Splerge 1:18 PM - 16 January, 2014
which is a better format to use? i know fat32 is compatible with both pc and mac but ive read it has performance issues....any insight on this?
Konix 4:21 PM - 16 January, 2014
Use exFAT if you have to use the drive on both Macs and PCs. exFAT doesn't have all the limitation of the old FAT32 format.

If you're just going to use the external drive on the Mac only, then format it Mac HFS+.
DJ Splerge 4:29 PM - 16 January, 2014
great thanks. I'll let you know how it works!
umutercan13 6:13 PM - 29 July, 2015
Hello, I am using the latest serato and yosemite on a mac book. All of my tracks are in my external hard drive WD 2TB and i dont keep any tracks in my computer. The problem is i create crates and get all my tracks analysed but when i close serato all tha crates dissappear but the tracks stay analysed. And also another problem is the length of the tracks are not showing on serato either. So when i close serato, not only the crates disappear but also the length of the tracks are not showing either. I did read the previous comments and i checked if my external hard drive is formatted to windows but no it is formatted to mac os extended journaled. Please help me with this. Thanks
umutercan13 11:41 AM - 31 July, 2015
Ps: And i also noticed that serato is not creating a serato folder in my external hard drive either. So theres not serato folder in my external hard drive where i can back up my crates from.
Dj Angel-T 5:06 PM - 24 December, 2015
I am not the Greatest in PC tech stuff but I do wonder if you go to your settings are you checked or unchecked on reading from Itunes--but unclicking will help serato recognize that you are using external???
Deejay Lolli 8:07 AM - 1 April, 2016
Quote:
Ps: And i also noticed that serato is not creating a serato folder in my external hard drive either. So theres not serato folder in my external hard drive where i can back up my crates from.

I think this is probably right because I do have the same problem like all my crates disappears when I exit SSL and when I open it back nothing is there , like a ghost walk on the rock.
Deejay Lolli 8:08 AM - 1 April, 2016
Quote:
I am not the Greatest in PC tech stuff but I do wonder if you go to your settings are you checked or unchecked on reading from Itunes--but unclicking will help serato recognize that you are using external???

Sorry about my first post . I meant this one
grantyd31 4:35 PM - 14 May, 2016
copy the _serato_ folder from your mac drive and paste it to your external drive