Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Full use of Serato while NOT connected to the DDJ-SX

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Pioneer DJ DDJ-SX
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
Doni 11:18 AM - 1 January, 2014
I just want to confirm that I am correct in my assumption that I am not able to use the full version of serato when not connected to the DDJ-SX? If I am correct, I must say, this is really unsatisfying and I doubt I am alone in this sentiment.

I'd really like to be able to organize my samples in offline mode as well as test out mixes so I can organize my sets more easily. Excuse me for saying so, but when I used Traktor, this was never a problem.

Is there any work around to this? I can't imagine I'm alone in this complaint... Looking forward to your reply. Thanks
Davideon 6:29 PM - 1 January, 2014
This was discussed before somewhere. You can use it to organise samples etc, and use one deck - but not mix. A touted reason for this is if u could, it would be cracked and used.
deejdave 5:52 AM - 2 January, 2014
A
Quote:
Excuse me for saying so, but when I used Traktor, this was never a problem.

B
Quote:
A touted reason for this is if u could, it would be cracked and used.

A = B

This is just ONE of the many issues with Traktor. Virtual DJ, Mixvibes, Traktor........ what do these all have in common?
Doni 9:32 AM - 5 January, 2014
guys, I'm not looking for your personal opinions. I'm looking for an answer from a Serato rep.

A software company should never penalize it's customers because they want to protect themselves from piracy. As a paying customer, I have nothing to do with the piracy battle.
Davideon 9:56 AM - 5 January, 2014
Quote:
guys, I'm not looking for your personal opinions. I'm looking for an answer from a Serato rep.

In that case don't post on a public forum. Why not email Serato. Or message a Serato rep. Or search these forums for when this exact issue was previously discussed.

I was trying to help by giving the answer provided when I last saw this discussed. If I had known you were thankless I wouldn't have bothered.

Your argument is ridiculous. In that vein what you expect Steinberg to stop using dongles for Cubase because they have paying customers?

SDJ has been designed specifically to only run one deck offline. It does what it was meant to when you willingly bought it. How is that punishing you?
Doni 10:46 AM - 5 January, 2014
@BBD wow first of all, don't you have anything better to do than TROLL a fucking support forum? Get a life idiot. Second, I DON'T CARE FOR OR NEED YOUR OPINIONS. Third, I CAN'T EMAIL SUPPORT. WOULD LOVE TO. THEY FORCE YOU TO POST HERE.

Get a fucking life man wow
Davideon 10:58 AM - 5 January, 2014
Lol. 16yr old kids and their toy throwing. Good luck
carnage 12:17 PM - 5 January, 2014
Quote:
@BBD wow first of all, don't you have anything better to do than TROLL a fucking support forum? Get a life idiot. Second, I DON'T CARE FOR OR NEED YOUR OPINIONS. Third, I CAN'T EMAIL SUPPORT. WOULD LOVE TO. THEY FORCE YOU TO POST HERE.

Get a fucking life man wow

Wow!, doesn't sound like he's a troll to me. info@serato.com , have you tried this email address? I'm guessing you must have after that outburst.
"Support forum".
deejdave 6:04 PM - 5 January, 2014
TROLLING? He gave a direct answer to someone asking a question that EVERYONE knows and you were not happy with it is all. As a matter of fact what you are asking for would be considered common sense and all the tools you need are provided for you to use so I would consider this whole post trolling.

It's not a penalization it's just there way of doing things and................... IT WORKS!! NOT AN OPINION.
Serato, Support
Matt P 12:19 AM - 6 January, 2014
Hi Doni,

Since Serato first made Dj software its always been required to be used in conjunction with supported hardware.

The actual reason for this isn't actually totally to prevent piracy however, it allows us to ensure the devices we support are the ones that we have tested to work with our product. It also allows the user to share his equipment with friends and allow us to keep certain software free to download and upgrades free as well.

We do recognize the desire to work on your mixes and organization prior. That is why Serato expanded into the controller market and has the offline player.

The ability to use it standalone is something we still consider, however i have no more information on whether that will be something that is implemented for sure at this point.

Matt P
deejdave 3:36 AM - 6 January, 2014
Interesting take on the topic especially when you said the reason to move into the controller arena was for music preparation & practice prior to actual performance. I mean I fully agree just kinda thought I was alone on this. I got involved with a controller strictly for preparation & practice (as in seeing what works with what not actual skill practice) which is why I went with the SX as it is the closest to the real thing. I don't think I could ever do actual performances with the SX though.
Doni 7:29 AM - 6 January, 2014
Hi Matt,

I'm sure you know that your reply is unsatisfying, about as unsatisfying as the drones who have already replied. I totally understand you only want people using tested controllers. I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about unlocking the full software after you buy it. When you buy the DDJSX it says "full version of serato included". There is no disclaimer saying "*provided you have the unit connected".

What this means for me is that if I'm on a plane, I can't load in new samples to the SP6. I've got to connect to my unit which means when I get to the venue, schedules are tight, but now I have to mess around getting these samples plugged in (and if the samples require beat sync, they simply don't work, but that's another issue).

Also, you can't test out mixes unless you are plugged in. I'd love to be able to test out a mix in offline mode because I can test out several mixes more efficiently and I can do that wherever I can use my laptop. To me, there is simply no arguing this point, and I am baffled as to why the drones have jumped on this post as if it's some sort of blasphemy.

I'd like to be able to claim that this is one reason why people won't use the software, but without digging through the lingo laden information on the serato website.

What I'm looking for is a workaround. Maybe there is an old version of serato itch that let's you use 2 tracks in offline mode?
carnage 8:55 AM - 6 January, 2014
Ah, bless. He calls people trying to help him drones. Poor child
deejdave 6:40 PM - 6 January, 2014
Quote:
What I'm looking for is a workaround. Maybe there is an old version of serato itch that let's you use 2 tracks in offline mode?

Yeah that will help you with Serato DJ!! LOL. If that is the solution why don't you just download Traktor Or Virtual DJ or any of those other apps you can get for FREE (could it be due to the fact that they all do exactly what you want?) and try your mixes on there. Loading your samples into itch and practicing on itch helps you just as much as practicing and loading samples on the latter. The only difference is any cue points or loops will be saved to the track but if that is what you need get DJ player for iPhone s it does the same thing.

Quote:
I'd love to be able to test out a mix in offline mode because I can test out several mixes more efficiently and I can do that wherever I can use my laptop.

YES we all know that it will stop at the testing mixes and NO ONE would take advantage of this new blasphemous idea by using it to perform live.

Quote:
I'd like to be able to claim that this is one reason why people won't use the software, but without digging through the lingo laden information on the serato website.

You are getting warmer but the proper statement would be this is the one reason people with NO MONEY won't use Serato as Serato & Rekordbox seem to be THE ONLY DJ APPS LEFT that you need to actually purchase something to use professionally. DJMe2 can use Traktor, Virtual DJ, CrossDJ, Ableton, etc without ever purchasing a single thing. NO piracy is not your problem but a.)IT IS Serato's problem so expecting not to be proactive about it is absurd and b.) If it were to become an issue for Serato it absolutely WOULD be your problem because who do you think would foot the bill for revenue lost and R&D on fighting piracy after it was invited for a slumber party by an idea such as yours.

Signed,
Drone #1
Serato, Support
Matt P 12:24 AM - 7 January, 2014
Hi Doni,

Fair enough, i understand what you want to do. It makes sense.

Quote:

This has never been possible with Serato. It may change, but not in the near future.

If it were to change i would be interested in how you would propose it. That would be best posted in the feature suggestions area. Which i can move this conversation to if you would like.

Matt P
Serato, Support
Matt P 12:25 AM - 7 January, 2014
Let me know if you'd like any help with this.. I'd be interested in hearing what you are trying to achieve.

Quote:
and if the samples require beat sync, they simply don't work, but that's another issue).

Matt P
Doni 2:14 AM - 7 January, 2014
Quote:
Let me know if you'd like any help with this.. I'd be interested in hearing what you are trying to achieve.

Quote:
and if the samples require beat sync, they simply don't work, but that's another issue).

Matt P

Matt... I've got another post about this... which you have replied to already. Help me believe in you friend...

serato.com
Serato, Support
Matt P 6:42 PM - 9 January, 2014
Hey Doni,

Cool, i'm gonna close this one up now and just help you in that other thread..

Matt P