Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Issue where "beat" sync changes to to "tempo" sync

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Pioneer DJ DDJ-SX
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
Doni 9:36 AM - 5 January, 2014
I'm having an issue where beat sync changes to tempo sync suddenly in some situations. On the main decks, it happens sporadically and I can't seem to figure out why.

But on the sample decks, after I launch a sample in beat sync, as soon as the sample finishes, it goes to tempo sync. This means I can only launch a given sample once before I have to reset it to beat sync.

Why is this happening? It seems like a bug unless I am missing something. I can't seem to find any information about this. Please get back to me as soon as you can. Thanks
Doni 10:44 AM - 5 January, 2014
ok it seems like whenever you touch a deck it switches to tempo sync, which is balls because I have to reset it every time. Still no idea why the sample decks are switching. There really should be more sync controls...
Serato, Support
Matt P 12:33 AM - 6 January, 2014
Hi Doni,

Are you using Smart Sync as your desired sync preference in the Set up screen?

This shouldn't be happening on the SP6 if that is the preference set. However, if you use loop roll or touch the platter then you will go into tempo sync. pressing sync again will lock the tracks back into beat sync.

Let me know the behaviour you are trying to obtain..

Matt P
Doni 3:39 AM - 6 January, 2014
Hi Matt,

Thanks for your response. Definitely using smart sync because you have to use that if you want to sync your samples. Whether or not it should be happening on the SP6, it for sure is. It's basically unusable...

You should really have a feature where you can lock beat sync. I can however confirm that pressing sync on the DDJ SX does not revert it back to beat sync. If it did function like that, there wouldn't be any issue.

To make it very clear, the behaviour I am trying to obtain is the SP6 samples not changing to tempo sync after launching them. If the decks switch to tempo sync every time you touch the decks or go into loop mode, I guess I can manually switch them back to beat sync. The major issue is the SP6.

I hope you can run this by the dev team. It seems like a big issue. I should also note I am on the latest firmware version and serato version and my macbook is also fully updated.

If you need me to do a screen cap video to show you let me know. However I would prefer your devs try to take a look without me having to do this... Thanks for your effort
Doni 2:11 AM - 7 January, 2014
Hi Matt, sorry just one thing I want to clear up. I wasn't up to date on the firmware and that fixed the deck sync behaviour. So now when I press sync, it reverts back to beat sync. So that's fine. Still the same issue on the SP6 however
Doni 2:36 AM - 9 January, 2014
Hi Matt... any progress on this? Would be nice to know what steps you are taking
Serato, Support
Matt P 7:39 PM - 9 January, 2014
Hi Doni,

I've just tested this. and it appears to be a bug with certain files.

I'm have some results fine for smaller samples but bad for loops in songs..

Can you tell me if you are experiencing it with multiple files?

Matt P
Doni 4:22 AM - 10 January, 2014
Hi Matt,

In the SP6 I'm using 8 bar samples almost always. Not really any one shots (although these would never need to beatsync) and I never load full songs or looping beats into the SP6. It seems totally random whether it does tempo sync or beat sync. I find it strange that absolutely nobody has had this issue or maybe they just don't realize it or care.

To be clear, when I set the sample to sync, it will randomly play at beat sync or tempo sync. I've tried clicking on them, reseting them, reloading them, restarting serato. All of these things don't work
Doni 4:28 AM - 10 January, 2014
ok well after a tremendous amount of monkeying around, it seems to be working. This involved restarting serato, restarting the sp6, resaving the files, renaming the files, etc.

I can confirm that it does not work if you just plug the samples in. Some trickery must be done, so I still believe there is a bug here...
Doni 4:38 AM - 10 January, 2014
you know what, scratch that, it doesnt work. Switching between sample decks screws it up and it not only turns off the beat sync it also switches it back to randomly going to tempo sync. this is really a huge bug
Serato, Support
Matt P 10:21 PM - 14 January, 2014
Hi Doni,

I've done some extensive testing on this and identified this as a bug as well. I've logged it and will have to leave it at that for now.

Stay tuned

Matt P
Doni 4:41 PM - 22 January, 2014
are there any plans to fix this rather glaring bug in the next release in february?
Serato, Support
Matt P 5:48 PM - 22 January, 2014
Hi Doni,

I'm not sure when this will be fixed. Hopefully soon. i just don't know what sort of workload it will take.
I would like to see it fixed soon also.

Matt P