Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Large Library performance on DJ 1.6

DJ Cs 11:42 PM - 17 December, 2013
Anyone notice any differences in library performances on 1.6 vs previous version?

Someone reported their large library is no longer crashing, but didn't elaborate.

Nothing listed in the Change log, so I'm guessing it's still the same.
Serato, Support
Scott S 1:17 AM - 18 December, 2013
Hi DJ Cs, do you have a large library? Have you run into issues with a large library previously? If you did I would love for you to try out Serato DJ 1.6 to see if it works better for you.

Have you tested the 1.6 Beta yet? Beta area > serato.com

Regards
Kittmaster 1:19 AM - 18 December, 2013
It still crashes.
DJ Cs 3:22 PM - 18 December, 2013
Quote:
Hi DJ Cs, do you have a large library? Have you run into issues with a large library previously? If you did I would love for you to try out Serato DJ 1.6 to see if it works better for you.

Have you tested the 1.6 Beta yet? Beta area > serato.com

Regards

Yes, I have a very large library with multiple sub crates. I will test over the next day or so.

Has there been any work or progress towards the database in this release or are we just duplicating the same testing as in previous versions with no expected change?
DJ Cs 4:32 PM - 18 December, 2013
@Scott S,

I have loaded up a fairly large set with DJ 1.6 and it looks promising.

Here are the initial results.

Using a fairly light machine:
Microsoft Surface Pro
Windows 8.1 X64
Core I5
4GB Ram
128GB SSD

Use case:
NOTE: Using Alchimie Zinc to sync my internal and External HD structure to crates in Serato DJ 1.6 Beta.

Alchimie Zinc statistics :
Total Files 28,169
Total Crates (including Subcrates) 11,014

Using player only (not connected to controller).

Serato DJ 1.6 Beta initially froze with a "Not Responding" message. This released itself in approx 3:30 (min:sec) and started reading tags.

After the initial release time stated above, I was able to navigate ALL crates/subcrates and play any song while the Tag reading continued.

I was able to play the song, with just a minimum of waveform delay, but NO audio drop outs so far.

Tag reading continues in the background as I'm typing this up, so far at a time of 28:05. Still no perceptible delays in audio or navigation to any crates and all songs are available to play.

This is a HUGE improvement in the Large Database handling with an exaggerated amount of subcrates.

I don't want to sound too excited here, but I'm optimistic that Serato may have conquered the vast majority of the problems of loading a large library.

This type of interaction was just not possible with previous versions of Itch and Serato DJ.

Can anyone confirm what I'm experiencing with file handling?
DJ Cs 4:51 PM - 18 December, 2013
Additional info:

Time to read all tags: Approx 41:00 (min)
Time to close: 1:00
Serato, Support
Scott S 8:06 PM - 18 December, 2013
Thanks DJ Cs,

You have 11,000 crates?!?!? What is in each crate!?

We are trying to improve the way the library and crates are read for lowering memory usage, but I cant guarantee that every issue relating to a large library is fixed. There has been a bit of crate optimisation put in place to help load a database that has lots of crates, however we are still working on fixing large library issues.

Not everything has been fixed for the 1.6 beta, but its best if you get the 1.6 version and try it out for yourself.

For any feedback or issues relating to the 1.6 beta please follow the rules and keep it in the beta area, but i'm glad you are getting some kind of improvement :)

Regards
DJ Cs 9:46 PM - 18 December, 2013
Yes, I will post follow up info in
Quote:
Thanks DJ Cs,

We are trying to improve the way the library and crates are read for lowering memory usage, but I cant guarantee that every issue relating to a large library is fixed. There has been a bit of crate optimisation put in place to help load a database that has lots of crates, however we are still working on fixing large library issues.

Not everything has been fixed for the 1.6 beta, but its best if you get the 1.6 version and try it out for yourself.

For any feedback or issues relating to the 1.6 beta please follow the rules and keep it in the beta area, but i'm glad you are getting some kind of improvement :)

Regards

This is about 1/3 of the total tracks that I have, I'm just testing for now.

The second test was 36,000 files and 16,187 crates (folders/subfolders)

This test actually crashed the first two times and eventually read in all the crates.

Now each load time will have the circle of not responding for about 2:30. It will then go to loading crates and turn over control to navigate and play songs.

As you stated, there are still small issues with memory but it is VASTLY improved.

I will post further tests in the Beta Test forum.

Thanks for your response Scott S.
Loominist 10:06 PM - 18 December, 2013
Quote:

I asked me the same thing...

And still, with 36k tracks and 16k crates... Means you have ~2 tracks in a crate.

Well, if it works for you this way...

Just for the record, whats the highest degree of subracete you have? (Means: SubSubSubSub-Crate = 4. Degree)
Joee 10:09 PM - 18 December, 2013
why would you need 11,000 crates? damn that a lot…….lol
Kittmaster 1:14 AM - 19 December, 2013
Quote:
Thanks DJ Cs,

Regards

I can't speak for him, but I can tell you I operate similar to his method, what is in each crate isn't the thing you should be asking about, it's why are there so many crates and subcrates etc.

The fast answer is there are two tools that build the crates to MIRROR the hard drive file structure of where to songs are saved, so the "crates" are "copies" of what is in each root folder/subfolder/subfolder/.....

There are many DJ's that I know what work this way, so this way, there is no trying to "figure out" where a specific track or issue "is" without having to use the search aspect.

When the crates mirror the hard drive, it's easier to find stuff since the crates are exact copies of the file structure.
DJ Cs 2:10 AM - 20 December, 2013
Scott S wrote:
Quote:
Thanks DJ Cs,

Keep in mind I've been collecting since 1985, not quite, but everything converted to MP3. DJ pools, etc. Adds up.

Also keep in mind some files come in as: DJpool\year\month\genre\artist\Artist a\ etc

If the file structure is setup this way, then Alchimie Zinc will mirror this with crates, basically each subfolder will be set as a subcrate in Serato. all the sub crates are just labeled crates in Alchimie Zinc

Alternatively, I could just drag the lowest subfolder into Alchimie Zinc and it will only create the one subcrate in Serato.

Loominist wrote:
Quote:

I asked me the same thing...

And still, with 36k tracks and 16k crates... Means you have ~2 tracks in a crate.

Well, if it works for you this way...

Just for the record, whats the highest degree of subracete you have? (Means: SubSubSubSub-Crate = 4. Degree)

As you can see, the number of subcrates created (when mimicking the file structure) has nothing to do with how many files are in each crate. Some crates are actually empty but hold other subcrates.

This is not necessarily how you should or need to have your library, but over the years has been how some files remained.

Some of these subfolders go very deep, which caused issues with Serato when recreating that exact structure from the file system.
Dokumentary 7:53 AM - 20 December, 2013
Step 1: Open iTunes> Preferences> Advanced>
Click checkbox: "Keep iTunes Media Folder Organized"
Click checkbox: "Copy Files to iTunes Media Folder When Adding to Library".

Step 2: File> Library> Organize Library

Step 3: Behold in horrified consternation and sheer terror as iTunes systematically relieves you of years of pent up obsession cloaked in compulsion allowing you 2-3 hours of contemplating the things you truly enjoy such as:
"Did I open then close that door 3 times before I entered this room? I'm just gonna do it again, to be safe".
"Why don't people just do things exactly as I tell them to"?
"Maybe I should go check to see that all my socks are organized alphabetically by color and facing in the proper direction... again".

Step 4: Erase your old music folders then go to User> Music> iTunes> iTunes Media. Realize that iTunes has done a much better job of keeping your sh*t orderly than your unbalanced, control freak brain ever could have done.

Step 5: Start making playlists, Yay!
DJ Cs 2:57 PM - 20 December, 2013
Quote:

"Did I open then close that door 3 times before I entered this room? I'm just gonna do it again, to be safe".
"Why don't people just do things exactly as I tell them to"?
"Maybe I should go check to see that all my socks are organized alphabetically by color and facing in the proper direction... again".

Have many control issues?
Culprit 5:46 PM - 23 December, 2013
I actually agree with dok on this. I was harsher on an earlier tgread but 16k crates is nuts
Serato, Support
Martin C 10:51 PM - 31 March, 2014
Hey guys,

I am not sure if you saw my post in this discussion: serato.com

Quote:
Its great to hear some positive results for some of you with Serato DJ 1.6.1. For those of you still experiencing problems I'd like to invite you to try a beta build that has some further memory optimisations.

I can't guarantee its going to fix the problem for all of you, but I hope it will for some. Having some of you guys try this build and post up your findings, whether it be bugs or just memory usage observations will help us greatly in our continued efforts to tackle this problem.

You can access the beta builds in this forum area: serato.com

This build does not contain any new features. Please read the agreement and the forum guidelines, they are extremely important.

If the results for everyone are overall positive then we can move forward with plans to include the memory optimisations into a scheduled release.

Any further questions, please post in the beta area.

Thanks!

11,000 crates is pretty huge. Depending on many files you have, this beta may help you out.