Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Serato DJ freezes controller (Pioneer DDJ-SR) during live set

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Pioneer DJ DDJ-SR
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
DJ H BomB 5:39 AM - 9 December, 2013
I just recently purchased the new DDJ-SR, which without a doubt is a amazing, easy to use controller. However, during my last live set I had two situations that brought major concern to my attention. the first was when I was loading a track and froze serato, bringing about the spinning color wheel...but was still generating sound from the existing track that was playing. Luckily, serato unfroze and I regained control of the mixer. But later on, the controller froze up leading me to have to shut the controller down and reboot it to regain use of it. What can I do to avoid having this problem, therefore not running the risk of having dead air during a set. I currently running on a Mackbook with a OSX 10.6 please leave some feedback!! Thanks!
Serato, Support
Rui K 1:19 AM - 10 December, 2013
Hi DJ H BomB,

Thanks for get in touch with us. Let's firstly install latest firmware for DDJ-SR which is released recently (v1.05). Your DDJ-SR firmware might be in factory version.

You can download from here serato.com. Please read installation guide carefully.

Please let us know how it go.

Kind Regards
Rui
Wolf-e-Wolf 7:04 AM - 10 December, 2013
I have the latest firmware installed and I have had the same problem. My DDJ-SR froze, while the audio continued to play. None of the controls would work including the crossfader and volume faders.
Timelapse 7:32 PM - 10 December, 2013
Same problem with mine.
It ussualy happens when i use the pitch controller with Key Lock switched on.
Tottaly freezes up, and needs you to reboot the controller.

Also running latest FW and latest Serato DJ
Cayetano 2:28 PM - 14 December, 2013
Same here.
tone34 9:15 PM - 15 December, 2013
Hey fellas, had to log post cause just used my DDJ SR for the first time last night and experienced all the same issues. I'm running FW 1.5.2. The unit Froze and play cut out while in the mix. Also, the key randomly dis engaged several times last night. Got another gig tonight and am very concerned. Please help Serato.
dallasreggae 3:05 PM - 23 December, 2013
Same problem here....only master volume control would work and the unit has to be rebooted.

Some help please.
dj sartzetakis 8:55 PM - 23 December, 2013
Dallas have you tried new firmware 1.06?
dallasreggae 3:06 AM - 24 December, 2013
Yes I have it
Jer T 6:34 PM - 24 December, 2013
I have this problem as well. Most of you guys have it good, i never regain control of the ddj-sr it happens when i use the pitch control. Its happened at least 2-3 times at all my latest events. Its getting to a point where i reject small events. Please take a look at this Pioneer.
La Breaks 9:24 PM - 24 December, 2013
I have the same issue. i have the 1.06 firmware. it seems to happen when moving one or both pitch faders. I'm on Windows 8. the sound will keep playing but the controller will not respond and must be turned off/on. I love the SR but i dont want to risk this happening at a show.
Martin Poliak 4:11 PM - 25 December, 2013
When will the solved problem freezing DDJ-SR? New firmware 1.6 did not help
Jer T 4:40 PM - 25 December, 2013
New years is coming :s I really hope this will be resolved before new years
Martin Poliak 11:42 AM - 27 December, 2013
still nothing! No fix! I'm dissatisfied:-(
dallasreggae 1:14 PM - 27 December, 2013
DDJ-SR still freezing up....some help please.
Timelapse 3:06 PM - 27 December, 2013
Same here, still freezes when using pitch control. Quite easy to reproduce, so should net be a mayor issue to fix it. Running latest FW (1.06), and even bought a powered USB hub to rule out power issues. None of it all helped, and the SR keeps on freezing.
Please Pioneer/Serato, fix this issue. This is quite a deal-breaker imho.
MOETA 8:01 PM - 27 December, 2013
I´m having the same issues at least once a session. Always occurs while moving the pitchsliders.

Are we forced to Autosync?
dallasreggae 2:09 AM - 28 December, 2013
This is just unacceptable
Arodic 9:38 AM - 28 December, 2013
Same problem, Just purchased my DDJ-SR last week. Took it to small side event at a club Sunday I was excited not to have to bring in my full setup. But then the controller froze three times, buttons faders and all. Did i just waste $600 on a controller that i can never trust to do a show with? Please figure this out soon.
dallasreggae 1:12 PM - 29 December, 2013
Why are you guys selling faulty equipment then not providing support...Seriously is this really that hard to figure out?Why do so many people have to complain....come on now....do better than this.I'm so disappointed!
Nicki 6:37 PM - 29 December, 2013
I am also very disappointed by Pioneer and serato. No one can help. It would have to come again for a new firmware! I'm curious whether before New Year's Eve yet what.
Otherwise, I am selling my 3 Controller DDJ-SR and get me the S4 with Traktor.
Please register as soon as you have the Maybe the problem solved with new firmware, or is there another drying.
Thank you very much
Nicki
Clash Gordon 7:51 PM - 29 December, 2013
I'm having the same exact issue as everyone above. I bought my SR literally the DAY it came out, and this controller freezing issue has happened in every iteration I've had of Serato DJ software and across three different firmware releases.

The freezing always seems to happen when I'm moving a pitch slider while in SYNC mode. The pattern I've noticed here is that the issue seems to occur when the track for the pitch slider I'm adjusting is in a pitch mode greater than +/-8 (so in 16+ mode). For example, Deck 1 original bpm is 120, and I'm moving its pitch slider to anywhere greater than 128...boom. Frozen controller. Problem is - it otherwise seems totally random.

To that end, I tried to replicate this issue with a series of experiments. I tried literally EVERY configuration with my mac = deleting/disabling all Apple reminder pop ups, disconnecting from the internet, restarting and having ONLY Serato DJ open… and vice versa. I thought the Apple reminders trying to pop up while in full-screen Serato DJ mode were the culprit when I was able to play gigs for two weeks without the issue, only to have it happen 3 times last night during a 6 hour set. I won't even get into how badly it killed the dance floor or has had negative implications on the level of quality my clients expect from me.

But more importantly - Where are you Serato Support?! I'm getting the feeling everyone is dodging the blame rocket - is the assumption that this is more of a Pioneer hardware issue than a software issue? If that is true - can someone at Serato PLEASE confirm that your team is working with Pioneer on this? Pioneer has built a great product, but the DDJ-SR (and frankly - as a 9 year user of Scratch Live - Serato DJ itself) is utterly useless to me with this issue.

As a Serato customer for almost a decade, this poor level of support and product quality is not something I'm accustomed to. Although transitioning from SSL to Serato DJ was an understandable discomfort, this particular issue is EXACTLY what should never happen to a DJ using Serato. We trust you and the quality of your products - both your software and approved partner hardware - but now its costing us.
Clash Gordon 7:57 PM - 29 December, 2013
Actually - immediately after going on my tirade - I found this at another forum. Going to give it a try and hope it solves the issue once and for all. NYE is only 2 days away!!

serato.com

Quote:
Hey guys,
I've been dealing with this issue since I bought the SR. I opened a help request and I think we have finally got it figured out. So I'm just going to pass on the process I went through and I hope this helps. Here's the short version, after a month of messing with this thing!

First thing is update the firmware for the controller.
-pioneerdj.com
-there's also direction on this site on how to do this.

Once you have done this:
1. Plug your controller into USB of computer, turn on controller, and fire up SDJ.
2. [once SDJ shows 2 decks] Exit out of SDJ, turn off controller and unplug from computer.
3. On your computer: Search Audio/Midi Setup.
4. Open this app, Click on [Window] tab, Choose [Show Midi Window]
5. Delete the SR driver.
6. Close out of all programs and Restart computer.
7. Follow step 1.

This has fixed the Freezing issue. It had something to do with a bad driver from the original release. This process just forces your computer to re install the new driver from the new firmware update. You can skip steps 1&2 if you want? I'm just passing on my process with this. Although I will pass on that, I deleted the driver before the latest firmware release, and I was experiencing the same issue. Until I followed those steps. This is for Mac users. As for PC, you just need to download the new driver from the site above, that will override the old one and should fix the issue.

The Key Lock issue is definitely a known issue, I'm sure Serato will fix it in the next firmware update!

Cheers
Timelapse 8:10 PM - 29 December, 2013
Tried it on PC, did not change a thing for me.
He mentions that you need to install a new driver, which does not exist.
It is still on 1.0.

Did try to reinstall, but as mentioned before did not help.

If anyone did manage to get this fix working in Windows 7, please let me know.

Quote:
Actually - immediately after going on my tirade - I found this at another forum. Going to give it a try and hope it solves the issue once and for all. NYE is only 2 days away!!

serato.com

Quote:
Hey guys,
I've been dealing with this issue since I bought the SR. I opened a help request and I think we have finally got it figured out. So I'm just going to pass on the process I went through and I hope this helps. Here's the short version, after a month of messing with this thing!

First thing is update the firmware for the controller.
-pioneerdj.com
-there's also direction on this site on how to do this.

Once you have done this:
1. Plug your controller into USB of computer, turn on controller, and fire up SDJ.
2. [once SDJ shows 2 decks] Exit out of SDJ, turn off controller and unplug from computer.
3. On your computer: Search Audio/Midi Setup.
4. Open this app, Click on [Window] tab, Choose [Show Midi Window]
5. Delete the SR driver.
6. Close out of all programs and Restart computer.
7. Follow step 1.

This has fixed the Freezing issue. It had something to do with a bad driver from the original release. This process just forces your computer to re install the new driver from the new firmware update. You can skip steps 1&2 if you want? I'm just passing on my process with this. Although I will pass on that, I deleted the driver before the latest firmware release, and I was experiencing the same issue. Until I followed those steps. This is for Mac users. As for PC, you just need to download the new driver from the site above, that will override the old one and should fix the issue.

The Key Lock issue is definitely a known issue, I'm sure Serato will fix it in the next firmware update!

Cheers
Nicki 9:08 PM - 29 December, 2013
Just as described, simply overwrite the firmware does not work then anyway!
Nicki 9:10 PM - 29 December, 2013
I'm freaking out slowly, the countdown runs to sylvester.
Please Serato and Pioneer help us all with this problem!!!
Nicki 11:14 PM - 29 December, 2013
Now I have an emergency solution! Traktor mapping available since today. And no freeze!
Not everything works as with serato, but as a last resort?
All male better than crash and freeze Serato.
I hope it comes out soon the new firmware!

PIONEER DDJ-SR v1 & v2 LATEST
RoxXxoR 7:05 PM - 30 December, 2013
I am Forced to use Traktor now. My DDJ SR keeps freezing on Serato DJ. Same problem. It happens to me after upgrading to Firmware 1.06.

Need fix ASAP! This is a product malfunction and to be considered unusable if this proceeds.

@Nicki, though Traktor is fine, the product promised optimization for Serato. Pad+ aswell as one touch roll is now unusable.
Nicki 7:11 PM - 30 December, 2013
Hello,
that's the madness. Nobody cares. No feedback from Pioneer or serato, when the problem is resolved.
That can not be! Or? Have for years tractor had, and was so happy on the controller, and officially this is not useful!
You can not use him easy.
Serato and Pioneer: Where are you?
Martin Poliak 7:36 PM - 30 December, 2013
Nicki 7:45 PM - 30 December, 2013
Hallo Martin,

no Text!
Martin Poliak 8:33 PM - 30 December, 2013
I'm going to sue the pioneer. This is not possible! I'm disappointed:-(
Nicki 8:37 PM - 30 December, 2013
Yes there sucks!
Had previously Traktor and NI S4 ....
Never had such problems!
I have written to pioneer, wait for a response.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 1:50 AM - 31 December, 2013
Hey guys,

We have reproduced this freeze with some of the units in the office and are currently investigating with Pioneer what the problem could be. I'm sure we can resolve it.

One thing that would help us : can you please let me know if you are still able to turn ON the PAD PLUS MODE during the freeze? Are you able to change the MODES when PAD PLUS MODE is on?

Please let us know. We understand it's frustrating and thank you for your patience. If you experience this freeze during a set you will still be able to use the software with the mouse. This means you can put on a loop, or start the song again until you are able to change over to another music source and re-connect the controller.
dallasreggae 3:20 AM - 31 December, 2013
You guys are honestly full of crap....We have been complaining about this for 2 months and your just reproducing the problem...do you understand that tomorrow is NYE and some of us are Djs for a living....What if this freezes up when I'm doing the count down.

Unacceptable!This should have been top priority but I guess you already have our money so you'll just deal with it when the new year starts...Y'all are honestly a bunch of inconsiderate and unprofessional scam artists.

There u have it...I said how I feel about your company!Both Serato and Pioneer!
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 5:12 AM - 31 December, 2013
We have lots of reports about issues from all different hardware and we try our best to resolve them all. This issue in particular was quite tricky for us because it was seemingly random and very hard to reliable reproduce, which in turn makes fixing it quite tricky.

Trust me it's in our best interest to solve issues like this and keep you guys happy!

On the positive side, Pioneer think they have found the issue so you can expect a firmware fix in the very near future :)
dallasreggae 8:04 AM - 31 December, 2013
We all share one thing in common "WE WANT RESULTS" then you can have your credibility back -20% of course!

Patiently waiting..........
Nicki 8:35 AM - 31 December, 2013
By what date?
That's a joke.
Many users need the controller tonight!
Martin Poliak 10:33 AM - 31 December, 2013
Tried anyone SERATO BETA 1.6? it freezes?
Nicki 10:48 AM - 31 December, 2013
Do you mean the normal 1:06?
the freezes as well.
Is there a new version which is called beta?
Martin Poliak 10:51 AM - 31 December, 2013
BETA 1,6 is only beta version, it means that is not suitable for normal use yet. It is only for testing.
Nicki 11:46 AM - 31 December, 2013
My question: Is the 1:06 a beta version? do not think so, since they officially Pioneer
is available for download
gkmasta 1:39 PM - 31 December, 2013
He doesn't mean the Pioneer DDJ-SX firmware, he menas the Serato DJ Software in Version 1.06 BETA!

I'm also facing this stupid little bug.

Yesterday i tried to reproduce it. I put sync on both tracks, kept the pitch range at +-8 and pitched the normal 128 bpm tracks to like 200 bpm. While then moving around the fader it got confused and crashed.

Pad Plus still works, Main Volume too, the rest DOESN'T!
Nicki 2:36 PM - 31 December, 2013
I hope that everything works very soon. Since many people otherwise the controller exchange, will return.
Dj Kate Frost 3:17 PM - 31 December, 2013
Can someone tell me how to 'Delete the SR Driver' - Step 5? I've got the same issue too!
Jer T 4:06 PM - 31 December, 2013
I tried the mac instructions and theres still freezing. I would love to know, and if @LOGAN could answer this, how isit that this issue did not occur to both parties when testing was done? It happens with every ddj-sr and on both mac and pc. How do both these companies agree on releasing a product with a serious issue and 2 months after its release and us users complaining about it, there is still nothing in terms of solutions. I really learned that buying top quality doesnt mean its the greatest. Even with all these firmware updates, non of them are even for the SR. Smh. I sold my old system and now im stuck with a glitchy combination of software/hardware. Highly disappointed because tonite is the night and thousands of users are left helpless to such an undesirable issue
Nicki 6:20 PM - 31 December, 2013
I think that's all a shame!
Rog3R 6:38 PM - 31 December, 2013
Hi guys. Nice to know that i'm not the only one, at least.
I had the same problem a couple of days ago while i was playing live on a gig.
Quite embarassing, i would say...
This is what i think:
DDJ SR and Serato are NOT reliable on a gig, not until this issue is fixed.
It's a shame, because i really like the controller. Anyway i'm confident that soon someone will do a decent mapping for Traktor xD.
Jer T 8:25 PM - 31 December, 2013
@Rog3r, there is a mapping for traktor except the ssmple pads are not functional
dallasreggae 10:33 PM - 31 December, 2013
Honestly guys here's how I'm getting around the problem for now...mind you I'm more of a Reggae and Hip Hop Dj.

I ensure my mic line is completely independent of the DDJ-SR.That way when it freezes (cus it will at some point) I'm able to talk on the mic while I switch the power button off and back on as quickly as possible.This is only if you're a Dj that talks on the mic.

Nonetheless if you don't use a mic, I suggest having some songs on a phone and an 1/8 inch jack(headphone jack) to RCA or 1/4 such that you can play another song while rebooting.You can plug the phone into the main mixing board or if you're mobile and using powered speakers you can plug directly into the back of your speakers.

I can't say I'm not worried about tonight but I hope my little bandaid saves someone from the embarrassment that most of us have been dealing with.
Clash Gordon 11:15 PM - 31 December, 2013
An update:

After trying all the steps I mentioned above, while rehearsing for my NYE set tonight - boom. It happened again.

I'm freaking out a bit, if this issue happens tonight during the NYE party I'm fucked. Really not cool about the radio silence here, you think there'd be Serato EMT's on standby considering this is one of the most profitable and busiest times for dj's...
Rog3R 3:50 PM - 1 January, 2014
Hi guys.
Any news?
Patiently waiting, too...
Rog3R 9:20 AM - 2 January, 2014
Hi guys.
Today i've downloaded a Traktor mapping for the DDJ SX from Pioneer Website.
Of course many features do not work properly, but it can still be used, and if you spend some time on it, you will find that it can be cool as well...
As i said is not 100% functional, but i think is better than having the controller freezing on a gig :- /
RoxXxoR 2:27 PM - 2 January, 2014
Quote:
Hi guys.
Today i've downloaded a Traktor mapping for the DDJ SX from Pioneer Website.
Of course many features do not work properly, but it can still be used, and if you spend some time on it, you will find that it can be cool as well...
As i said is not 100% functional, but i think is better than having the controller freezing on a gig :- /

It's an alternative. but not the solution. Pioneer and serato commercialized with compatibility...while it's not to be the case.

besides...many ppl can't afford Traktor thinking DDJ SR + Serator is a total solution.

still waiting for updates...my last gig turns out to be a disaster. I was forced to use Traktor..

ys,

a very unhappy customer
Martin Poliak 1:12 PM - 3 January, 2014
PIONEER or SERATO do something!!! I am angry!!!!
Nicki 9:02 PM - 3 January, 2014
Can anyone say what. Whether it traveled a date is when the new firmware comes out, the Serarto no more freezes!
Otherwise I have to exchange my controller, they are of no use!
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 8:49 PM - 6 January, 2014
A fix is not far off guys. I will let you know the release date as soon as we found out.
Nicki 9:26 PM - 6 January, 2014
I hope so! Especially since he wied the DDJ-SB comes out. Looks just from silly if you looks up as new interessent in the forum.
When? 3 days? 1 weeks? 2 weeks?
Think about it: You can not use the controller DDJ-SR. What should I do with it? The is just there!
Nicki 9:11 AM - 8 January, 2014
Have just phoned Pionner Europe.
The problem is not known pioneer! I was the first!
Why not help with Serato?
I'm very disappointed
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 9:15 AM - 8 January, 2014
Hey everyone,

Pioneer have informed us that they plan on releasing a firmware update to fix this issue on Jan. 9th (JST) on their website : pioneerdj.com

Thank you all for being patient. Both Pioneer and Serato take any issues like this seriously so thank you for your cooperation :)
dj sartzetakis 8:13 PM - 9 January, 2014
Any news with the new firmware 1.07?
Nicki 8:21 PM - 9 January, 2014
The new firmware 1.07 to download now from Pioneerdj.
I have tested it 2 hours. Until now, no freeze.
What is your opinion?
Was that the solution?
dallasreggae 11:48 PM - 10 January, 2014
I tested it last night for 2 hrs and no freeze.

I tested it today for 3 hrs with no other software running then a sec ago my left controller play button became inactive.It's still visible and illuminating on the screen when I press it but no change in the audio.
Nicki 9:37 AM - 11 January, 2014
then everything runs as normal?
or you have to restart?
Martin Poliak 9:51 AM - 11 January, 2014
Quote:

I tested it today for 3 hrs with no other software running then a sec ago my left controller play button became inactive.It's still visible and illuminating on the screen when I press it but no change in the audio.

--

The same by me, but on the right side. The play button was inactive - I can't start playing a track. I have to restart DDJ SR (not software). The problem was solved. It was once a night.
I hope they'll solve it soon, I am very dissapointed.
Rog3R 6:19 AM - 12 January, 2014
I'm sorry to say so, but i'm too scared to use Serato again on a gig. It's ok to play at home. Talking about live, even if most of controller's features can't be used properly, i will ALWAYS use Traktor, unless until everything will be 100 fixed. I'm confident that some computer genious will make a better Traktor mapping very soon.
I don't mean to complain too much or being rude, but these issues should be fixed BEFORE putting a product in the market, NOT after.
xD
Rog3R 6:24 AM - 12 January, 2014
P.S.
This is what they answered me from Pioneer hahahahahahhaahahaha xD:

I wrote
"It happened two weeks ago while i was playing live on a gig, and today as well, while i was playing at home.
Serato freezed and i was only able to control the master level. I had to restart both the DDJ SR and Serato.
Really hope it won't happen again.
Both the controller firmware and the Macbook Air are updated to the latest version.
I have seen on Internet that many people have the same problem and this is a known issue since the beginning of last December.
Now, i don't mean to complain, but a software- controller that freezes on a gig is quite a problem, and since the money i paid was TOTALLY working, i don't think i deserve a PARTIALLY working Controller-Software. Am i right to say it?
Thanks.
Best Regards"

0 people found this useful.

Comments
User photo
Pulse
Pioneer DJ

"Sorry to hear about the troubles. Which version of Serato DJ are you running?"
Nicki 11:13 AM - 12 January, 2014
Last night! With new firmware 1:07! No more problems!
So that is fun!
Dear users. Do you know why the new firmware came out?
Because I called Pioneer themselves. Otherwise not be published.
Serato forum we can exchange, but pioneer does not look after what problems there are. So if controller or firmware problems, please contact directly to Pioneer!
Most Beautiful Greetings and have fun!
vasilis1311 6:37 AM - 14 January, 2014
Upgraded to 1.07, since today, no problems.
Martin Poliak 11:09 AM - 14 January, 2014
firmware 1.07 and I still freezes the play button. anyone else has this problem? do you think that each of the DDJ-SR is wrong?
Timelapse 12:41 PM - 14 January, 2014
Martin, could you give any clue on when this happens.
Updated to 1.07 and have not seen any issues like that yet.
If you can give some hints, i might be able to reproduce it with mine as well.
Martin Poliak 4:07 PM - 14 January, 2014
Quote:
Martin, could you give any clue on when this happens.
Updated to 1.07 and have not seen any issues like that yet.
If you can give some hints, i might be able to reproduce it with mine as well.

As you can see in discussion above:

--
dallasreggae 12:48 AM - 11 January, 2014

--

The same by me, but on the right side. The play button was inactive - I can't start playing a track. I have to restart DDJ SR (not software). The problem was solved. It was once a night.
I hope they'll solve it soon, I am very disappointed.

--
bonggabar 4:19 PM - 21 January, 2014
I'm not sure if it's my ddj sr or serato dj is malfunctioning but every time I use the video options to put my personal logo, the controller crashes and I would have to re boot again. My question to Serato Techs is... Is this a ddj sr issue or serato dj? I am using Mac, 10.68 osx, 1.52 serato video dj version. Thanks.
DeeJaySpunk 6:24 AM - 22 January, 2014
1.07 is working great! did 5 hour parties with no freeze! Thank you Pioneer!
dallasreggae 2:24 AM - 26 January, 2014
THIS IS STILL A PROBLEM....WHAT THE HELL PIONEER/SERATO...DO SOMETHING PLEASE OR GIVE US OUR MONEY BACK.

THIS IS BULLSHIT!
dallasreggae 2:53 AM - 26 January, 2014
MY RIGHT SIDE ALSO FREEZES AND EVEN AFTER A QUICK RESTART OF THE HARDWARE STILL DOES NOT RE-ENGAGE.

DOES IT REALLY TAKE THIS LONG TO FIX A PROBLEM YOU KNEW ABOUT FROM THE DAY IT RELEASED?

OH I KNOW INSTEAD YOU GUYS ARE BUSY PUTTING OUT YOUR NEW DDJ-SZ.
OK THEN SEND ME ONE FOR ALL THE HELL I''M GOING THROUGH WITH THIS PIECE OF CRAP CONTROLLER YOU RELEASED.

SOMEONE AT SERATO AND PIONEER SHOULD BE JAILED FOR TAKING PEOPLES MONEY.....I WANT MY MONEY BACK DAM IT!!
bonggabar 8:09 AM - 26 January, 2014
hi dallasreggae - I had the same problem as you and more. When using serato dj on video the whole system would freeze and crash. I went back to guitar center and they tried it and it did the same thing. They said they where going to email serato about it. What we did try in guitar center is downgraded to serato dj 1.51 and erased 1.52 and the ddj sr seem to work fine so far with no glitches.(crossing finger) ..Hope it helps you as u seem really mad about this controller : )
Billy G 3:48 AM - 2 February, 2014
Same problem, running the Pioneer DDJ-SR, tried both 1.5 and the beta version 1.6 Same issue, freezes within a few songs. No control whatsover. I also have my video loaded up, everything is up to date. I use a MAC Pro, 10.7.2 OS X Lion, 4gb, 2.4GHz, Intel Core i5, 1333 MHz DDR3, 13-inch. Never had an issue using Serato 2.5 or any of the other lower versions and I have been doing video the whole time... And I just started using a controller. Figured that I would grab this model and if I liked it I would later grab the SZ... I have also installed teh latest firmware and have renamed serato dj to seratodj1.6beta and kept both 1.5 and 1.6... NEVER had any problems before until I tried serato dj and this controller... Could it be a power issue, maybe because it generates it's power off your computer ? And I use a 1TB external MY PASSPORT with all my music and video on it. It plugs into another USB as well on that same MAC PRO. Again, before serato dj and this controller, no issues...
djchillservices@aol.com 3:19 PM - 5 February, 2014
Mines also do the same thing...I had the DDJ Sx gold edition and it froze on me at the club.I took
It back....Bought the mix track pro 2...it froze up..Lucky me I
Had my NS 7 in the trunk...I just brought the DDJ SR
and the tempo Range cuts on for no reason...I have all the lastest firmware and the ishhhh just don't work ..I'm taking this garbage back to the Guitar center...glad they give u 30 days...I guess I'm gettin the NS 2.. my boys never
Have problems with theirs..I have the ns7 ..no problems...my
DDJ Sr problems out the box...I should be able to open plug and play...the end! YALL quick to put this garbage on the market without running it hard and loud for 5 hours straight...on a Mac book ...on a pc... not a I mac...its a damn shame we can't dj with our equipment because of faulty software...I am pissed! I spent $599 for this and can't use it...yall keep sayin its the firmware. ..no its not dammit! ITS THE JANKY ASS SOFTWARE....my right jog wheel feel shity..the left one is smooth....FIX IT OR GIVE EVERBODY THEIR MONEY BACK! WE ALL HAVE GREAT COMPUTERS SO QUIT ASKIN US ABOUT SPECS....FIX IT! THE END! OR IM TAKING IT BACK AND I WILL POST EVERYWHERE WARNING DJS NOT TO BUY THESE PRODUCTS. ...I FEEL SORRY FOR THE PERSON WHO BUYS THE SZ... $2000 AND IT FREEZE....GET SERIOUS...UNTIL THEN , I WILL FIRE UP MY RELIABLE NS7...GEEEESH!
Billy G 12:03 AM - 6 February, 2014
Ok. Just saying. A fellow dj said to try this.

Download the firmware, 1.5 or now there is 1.6. Download it on your Mac or PC.

Make sure your DDJ-SR is OFF

Plug both ends of the USB in (computer/DDJ-SR)

Press SYNC and SHIFT of the DDJ-SR, hold both down and turn on the DDJ-SR

A box will appear on your Mac/PC that says update firmware

Do as it says and keep SYNC/SHIFT buttons pressed until it is updated

This ENSURES that the existing firmware is updated on your DDJ-SR

I ran my DDJ-SR for several hours after, no crashes

The only thing I did notice is at times the key lock/adjust would uncheck itself

And if you doing video or other functions, make sure you have EVERYTHING running and on before you start mixing. For some reason if you try to click on video after or image, scroll, etc it will crash...

So, I suggest to try this and see what happens...
DJ D Lyric's 3:41 PM - 7 February, 2014
I have the same proble of freazing

I'm a hip hop dj on a radio and i mix live, so you can imagine that i'm very embarassed when my software and my controller crash....

I have serato 1.6 but not the last frimwire, i'll try with the new version

I bought the pioneer on because every body told me that it's a weel product, but i'm really disapointed !!!
Timelapse 3:43 PM - 7 February, 2014
You should get the latest firmware, as this was created to fix the freezing issue.
Haven't had any freezing since i upgraded to the latest firmware.
DJ D Lyric's 4:08 PM - 7 February, 2014
ok thx, i'll try very soon ! i'll let you know, hopping the problem won't happen ;)
Billy G 11:47 PM - 7 February, 2014
Make sure the firmware is installed and overides the existing firmware... Just downloading it will not work...
K3TTLCH1P 1:22 PM - 9 February, 2014
i have used serato itch/ dj for a while now... i done a massive set overseas n crashed using ddj-sx and 1.5.1

just got 1.6 and having same issues no corrupt files just a shit go!! i have big set in a few days hope same shit doesn't go down i just downgraded to 1.5.2 i havent had may issues with that im gonna take usbs leave on loop on diff channel incase i get another crash!!! for fuck sake ur doing cool shit for djs but make sure it works b4 u release it ya loweys!!!! if i get another crash from serato il never use ur putrid shitt again!! il try traktor or go to usb's!!!

fuck sake camonnnnnn u better than that!!!!
Billy G 10:29 PM - 9 February, 2014
I will say it one more time. I just checked a few fellow djs who were running DDJ-SR and the DDJ-SX. They said they had the latest firmware. They did download it, but it was not being used. Downloading it and double clicking on it does not ensure that it will be installed for use on your controller. You have to check and make sure, do not assume.

I see that some have upgraded to Serato Dj 1.6, BUT, you are using the same firmware that came with the controller out the box. The pioneer web site gives you the latest firmware, double click on the controller you are using and it will (DDJ-SR, etc) direct you to the latest firmware and where you can download it. Once you do that, follow these instructions. That way you know that your firmware was installed...

Make sure your DDJ-SR is OFF

Plug both ends of the USB in (computer/DDJ-SR)

Press SYNC and SHIFT of the DDJ-SR, hold both down and turn on the DDJ-SR

A box will appear on your Mac/PC that says update firmware

Do as it says and keep SYNC/SHIFT buttons pressed until it is updated

This ENSURES that the existing firmware is updated on your DDJ-SR

I ran my DDJ-SR for several hours after, no crashes
K3TTLCH1P 1:50 AM - 10 February, 2014
I have used the DDJ sx since it first come on the market I update regularly and the firmware has only ever had one available update 1.7 done this ages ago had problems with previous updates this isn't firmware it's clearly the update
K3TTLCH1P 1:54 AM - 10 February, 2014
I think it's the software not the firmware. Otherwise pioneer needs to release new update for firmware
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 3:18 AM - 10 February, 2014
Hey guys,

The firmware freezing issue was fixed in the last firmware update. Downloading and running the file WILL NOT update the firmware. As Billy G said above, you need to turn the unit on while holding down SHIFT + SYNC on the controller. The controller will need to be plugged in. Once you've done this simply run the file, and it will tell you once it has successfully updated.

If you are STILL having freezing issues after this then it's likely to be something different, I'm sure it can be solved you will just need to start a new help thread so our support team can help you out. It's too hard to troubleshoot multiple people with often very different problems in the same thread.

Cheers.
Billy G 12:33 AM - 11 February, 2014
works for me...
DJ D Lyric's 8:18 PM - 11 February, 2014
Hi guys!

I use it with the new frimewire and no freezes!

i hope it won't appear again :p
Cayetano 11:57 PM - 19 February, 2014
Not any problem with the latest firmware. Works perfect. :)
Timelapse 11:16 AM - 20 February, 2014
Could you guys tell me which version of Serato you are using? As i am using 1.6, and still encounter random freezes. Just wondering if it might be the software instead of the firmware.
Cayetano 11:33 AM - 20 February, 2014
1.6 here… But I'm pretty sure it's just a firmware thing as the software keeps playing while the SR freezes. Perhaps you didn't upgrade the firmware properly?
Dj Fantom 11:44 AM - 20 February, 2014
Im looking to buy a DDj Sr soon and came across this thread that has me concerned .. to the people who still have freezes have you confirmed that you indeed did really upgrade your firmware .. or are you assuming its upgraded ? this is a very important thing in determining if the latest firmware really fixed it or not .
Timelapse 12:35 PM - 20 February, 2014
I upgraded to 1.07, of that i'm 100% sure. As far as i know it says it's 1.07 as well. But as firmware upgrading might leave parts some times, i'll try to upgrade it once or twice more to be sure it did not leave any parts.
Timelapse 12:39 PM - 20 February, 2014
In my opinion the latest firmware DID fix the freeze that most people encountered. This happened when using the pitch fader, which caused the controller to freeze. But i still believe there is a bug in the firmware which freezes the controller. The only BIG issue is, that now it's totally random from my personal experience. And this sadly makes it almost impossible to reproduce and point out the issue.

Nonetheless, i will keep you updated if re-upgrading worked in any way.
Dj Fantom 3:16 PM - 20 February, 2014
Quote:
In my opinion the latest firmware DID fix the freeze that most people encountered. This happened when using the pitch fader, which caused the controller to freeze. But i still believe there is a bug in the firmware which freezes the controller. The only BIG issue is, that now it's totally random from my personal experience. And this sadly makes it almost impossible to reproduce and point out the issue.

Nonetheless, i will keep you updated if re-upgrading worked in any way.

i was really looking to get 1 . was gonna order next week found 1 for a good deal.. but its not a good deal if it freezes... i knew it was too good to be true.... i might as well just buy another mixtrack pro to replace the 1 i currently have thats having some mechanical hard ware issues.... atleast it never freezes and i use it like turntables scratching and all .... hopefully this gets cleared up... even if it solved it for a few people if its not a true overall fix i dont want to be one of the unlucky ones that gets a Lemon that don't turn into lemonade . lol
Dj Fantom 11:30 AM - 23 February, 2014
I took the risk and bought the DDJ SR , updated the firmware and procceded to abuse it for 6 hours straight... and no issues ... hopefully that continues.... for those still having freezes and cut outs verify that you are truly on 1.7 firmware ..if on a mac , with the ddj pluged in the usb, press he option key and click on the apple on the screen, select system information or system Profiler , scroll down and select usb, then click on the ddj name and it will show the information and firmware your on .. mine came with 1.2 ... i tried it on 1.2 to see if it would freeze.. it didnt but i got usb dropouts ... updated the firmware and was good ....
DJ Mic 12:28 AM - 25 February, 2014
I'm with Fantom. I like to know if your DDJ SR still freezes with the 1.7 firmware update.
FRESH FRANK 2:03 AM - 25 February, 2014
Hello Dj's...Well played this weekend with my new DDJ-SR and it froze a few times and also was playing a track on right side and was going to mix another track in and was using the pitch control (TEMPO) and for some reason it was messing with the song that was playing on the right side...So I couldn't mix in a song cause the pitch control on the left side was controlling both decks...Today I downloaded the new version of serato dj 1.6 and firmware 1.7 and the pitch controller is doing the same thing...how can I find out if I downloaded the new firmware and that its working? Sorry for being so long....Thx
DJ Mic 4:15 PM - 25 February, 2014
That's not good. Think I'll put a hold on
Purchasing a Pioneer DDJ-SR.
Dj Fantom 5:17 AM - 26 February, 2014
Quote:
Hello Dj's...Well played this weekend with my new DDJ-SR and it froze a few times and also was playing a track on right side and was going to mix another track in and was using the pitch control (TEMPO) and for some reason it was messing with the song that was playing on the right side...So I couldn't mix in a song cause the pitch control on the left side was controlling both decks...Today I downloaded the new version of serato dj 1.6 and firmware 1.7 and the pitch controller is doing the same thing...how can I find out if I downloaded the new firmware and that its working? Sorry for being so long....Thx

Quote:
That's not good. Think I'll put a hold on
Purchasing a Pioneer DDJ-SR.

@Fresh Frank if i read correct you got the freezes before you downloaded the firmware . thats because the old firmware is buggy you have to be on the newest which is 1.07 . just downloading it and or clicking on the firmware is not enough .. you ave to do a certain procedure to update the firmware that was posted a few posts up and also is detailed on pioneer site where you downloaded the driver....

I am willing to bet my Sr the majority of the people still getting freezes didnt update properly .. check your firmware . heres how on a mac... , with the ddj pluged in the usb, press the option key on your computer keyboard and click on the apple on the screen, select system information or system Profiler , scroll down and select usb, then click on the ddj name and it will show the information and firmware your on .... mine came with 1.02 .. i played with it for a hour before i updated it and had no freezes but alot of audio dropouts ... i updated the firmware and been running it since saturday . no problems (Knock on wood)

@Dj Mic if you want it and can get it get it. dont let others user errors deter you. im glad i didn't. now my old controller is completely out . im glad i bought the sr when i did... just update your firmware correctly , and make sure you have a suitable computer to run the software smoothly and you should be fine...
DJ Mic 5:22 AM - 26 February, 2014
@DJ Fantom... Well said my brotha! I will purchase and follow the procedure.
DJTorchmusic 8:21 PM - 5 March, 2014
I just wanna interject some thoughts about this controller, but more so about this situation.

1. This is not a "PRO" controller and shouldn't be used in "PRO" environments as the primary or only controller.

2. This controller is perfect for situations like practice, guest set or a house party. On a guest set, more than likely, your controller won't be the only one there so there are probably some "bailing" options.

3. Firmware updates are supposed to be "no brainer" updates. So, if there's a way to "do it wrong" then that issue needs to be addressed.

If I don't get a more expensive controller, I'm strongly considering this one. But, I would like to get some recent reviews of it's performance so I know I can depend on it, if I need to.
7:01 AM, 20 Mar 2014
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.