Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Pioneer DDJ SX crushed 3 times during dj set!

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Pioneer DJ DDJ-SX
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
Reljic DjMunja Dejan 9:41 AM - 24 November, 2013
Hi guys,as i've been told from Serato team on Fb.,i'm sending you my request 4 solving my problem.I updated my Mac to Maverick,and on last week deejay gig,my Pioneer DDJ SX crushed 3 times,like never before.In one moment sound went off(before that,in a split of seconds,it started to chop sound,and sound go off,but on the software,the wave of the songs are still running,but the controller was not reacting at all),and i had to turn on-off,and plug in and out usb cable,every time...I had before Lion OSX,and that never happened,in one moment,after third time,i did not know what to do?....I'm stressed playing music,not fun,i am a deejay 4 25,and more...so this is answer from Serato on Fb.:"Serato:Hey Reljic DjMunja Dejan, Mac OS X Mavericks should be supported in an update very soon. It's currently not but that particular issue doesn't sound like it is definitely related. Have you been in touch with our support team? We can probably look into your system to find out what's not playing nicely together." Please help!!!??? I am first hip-hop,and one of the first dj's in club music,from Serbia.I am playing and promoting,Serato and digital dj-ing from the very start,so it look like when that happened,like i was on drugs,or something,the owner of the club and crowd were very unhappy,and i was very embarrassing 4 me.....Look in to my system,and i will do everything to fix that!Thanks in advanced!
Reljic DjMunja Dejan 9:46 AM - 24 November, 2013
I wanted to say,that i am a dj 4 25 years....,and this is description of my system:MacBook Pro 15" (mid.2010) with latest Maverick OS X 10.9 (13A603),Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5,Memory 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3,Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 256 MB.
Reljic DjMunja Dejan 9:54 AM - 24 November, 2013
I forgot 750 GB HDD.
Serato, Support
Matt P 12:44 AM - 27 November, 2013
Hi Reljic DjMunja Dejan,

I'm sorry to hear of your situation. Ultimately as we don't support mavericks just yet, i'd assume there is something funky going on with that and the fact you can't update the drivers or firmware for the DDJSX.

What i'd like to know is what happened right before the software crashes, were you using the effects, setting a loop, adjusting the eq.
When the crash happened, did the controller freeze up or did the program shut down completely?
Did you have wifi, bluetooth on or any other external devices, like the external HD?

Let me know also if you can reproduce the crash with the same songs..

Matt P
Reljic DjMunja Dejan 2:37 PM - 27 November, 2013
Ok,right now i found out that i can not update firmware-driver,it says :"Your DDJ-SX is not connected",but it is.Bluetooth was off,wi-fi was on(like always,i never had that problem before on Lion OS X,and after first time i turned it off,and yes,i updated legally on Maverick OS X),i have used external fire wire HD,4 2 years i'm use it(never bugged before).I was waiting to play my set,after deejay warmup,and started to play,no eq,loop,effect....at once(few minutes when i started) sound started to chop,brake,an stop playing sound at the end.The wave is playing on software,the program was not shutdown,but DDJ-SX was not responding,it freeze up,i checked out power,usb cable,signal....(and back home,few time again,everything was working fine...) I had to first unplug usb,nothing,than power on-off on Pioneer,again nothing,not responding,and at last to reopen the Serato Dj software (every time,these 3 steps)...disaster.I am playing on digital controllers 4 years,when Vestax Vci 300 appeared i started to use it,i think 5 years(and more,i do not know exact...),than Vci 300 Mk2,than Pioneer DDJ-S1,than Traktor NI S4,than Vci 380,than Vci 400,at last DDJ-SX.In the begging i had problems with PC,and i switched on Mac,after that i used a better Mac,but when i started to use Pioneer,nothing like it happened before,i had with Vci 300,problems and Vci 380 few little bugs,nothing special,Vci 400 and Traktor NI S4 not used so much...i still have Vci 380,Traktor S4,Vci 400 and DDJ-SX,but this last experience disappointed me so much .... :(
Mark Mack 12:47 PM - 28 November, 2013
I have had what sounds like the same problem, it has happened to me 4 times in the last month and with a thousand people in front of you it makes you look like an idiot and for a professional piece of kit is not acceptable.

The output sound breaks up, before stopping completely in the space of a few seconds. Serato is still running fine and the headphone output from the DDJ SX is still playing clearly, just the output is crashed. Simply turning the DDJ SX off and back on again fixes it without doing anything else, but that is no consolation in the middle of a gig.

I am surprised I can not find more people experiencing this issue, I've had the DDJ SX for 9 months with no problems until this. Is it a known issue?

I have just updated the firmware and I'm hoping to make it through the weekend without issue.
Serato, Support
Matt P 11:18 PM - 28 November, 2013
Hi Reljic DjMunja Dejan,

Unfortunately there isn't much i can suggest if there aren't drivers and firmware available. I would try and follow the firmware steps in this video
Watchwww.youtube.com

Firmware will be made available here when its ready - pioneerdj.com

Matt P
Anwaar Himsef™ 7:49 AM - 10 December, 2013
Ive seen this happen quite a few times.. The sound starts to distort and then crumbles away.. Its not a hardware or software issue that I know of.. Everytime I saw it, it was caused by clipping. If your LED's are buring in the red too long, this will most likely happen. Simple fix just by staying out of the red IF thats your case.. If not, I hope you get it figured out soon. I know how embarrassing it is to have an entire dance floor stop and stare at you. It happened to me Friday night when my hard drive got bumpped and Serato DJ lost track of my library. I had to scan my entire libreary in iTunes and it took 40 minutes. Thats how long I had the people in my club staring at me including the owner and GM., As far as 1.5.2 on Mavericks.. I just installed it a few hours ago and its running beautifully.. I havent tested it onlione yet tho. off line its perfect. Im afraid itll fail like every other update since 1.1.1 which ive been using with no problems up intill today.. We'll see what happens but im sure Ill end up back on 1.1.1 (The only stable version)
Reljic DjMunja Dejan 8:19 AM - 10 December, 2013
Ok,bro thanks,i will try this,but i thin that is not case....
Reljic DjMunja Dejan 8:20 AM - 10 December, 2013
Ok,bro thanks,i will try this,but i think that is not the case....
Anwaar Himsef™ 8:31 AM - 10 December, 2013
Yeah no problem.. And im sure its probably not either being that youve been in the business for so long, you would already know to watch yor levels. Thats the only thing I could think of tho from what ive seen. Best of luck bro. If you figure it out, please post incase I come across that problem. Im buying the NS7-2 next week and a 1TB internal hard drive in hopes to get rid of the large music library problem Serato has. Ill be storing my library on board and get rid of the external. Hopefully it works. You may wanna give that a try too since Serato has a problem with external drives, crates, etc.
Reljic DjMunja Dejan 10:44 PM - 10 December, 2013
Hmmm,i have internal HD 750 GB,and external fire wire 2 TB,and with Lion OSX i never had that problems,i think that it have to do something with drivers,or something like that,...anyway tomorrow i will try my Vestax 380 with Itch and Serato Dj,if it works fine,i am going back to play with it,at least till Serato give drivers and support for Mavericks...anyway thanks bro! :)
Serato, Support
Matt P 9:59 PM - 12 December, 2013
Hi Reljic DjMunja Dejan, Anwaar Himsef™

Large library issues are being worked on and will be resolved soon.

Pioneer should be releasing driver updates for Mavericks OS soon too.

Keen to hear how the new HD works out Anwaar Himsef™. I assume you've already read this article? - serato.com

Matt P
Reljic DjMunja Dejan 3:51 AM - 14 December, 2013
Thanks 4 support bro!
Reljic DjMunja Dejan 2:39 PM - 22 December, 2013
Hi,i wanted to give few suggestions 4 new Serato software releases.Please put the possibility (button,...e.t.c.),2 preview,pre listen crossfader activity,when master is off,like on some battle mixers,4 battle-scratch deejays,and also 4 SP-6 Sample Player preview-pre listen possibility,and +/- buttons 4 fine mixing(push + and - button),and bigger pitch!? Thanks! DjMunja from Serbia!
:)
Serato, Support
Matt P 2:57 AM - 23 December, 2013
Hi Reljic DjMunja Dejan,

These are cool ideas, this one is already possible -
Quote:
SP-6 Sample Player +/- buttons 4 fine mixing(push + and - button)

For feature suggestions. Its best to post in this area - serato.com

Thanks for sharing your ideas

Matt P
8:06 AM, 6 Jan 2014
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.
Reljic DjMunja Dejan 3:29 PM - 8 March, 2014
Hi guys,i've changed my Mac to MacBook Pro i7,4 GB ram,750 GB same HDD,mid 2012....e.t.c.,and since i had no problems with my Serato,but i do not turn on EFX,video plug in,external stuff...I am waiting to expand my ram memory on 2 x 8 GB(16GB),but look at the link,this is what i'm talking about,exactly the same thing happened to me few times!!!

Watchvimeo.com

on 8 min. - 17 sec. Oh my God?!
Mass Flava 8:02 PM - 8 March, 2014
Damnnnnnnnn it dat some bull shit!!! 1st time I ever seen or heard that ... Lets hope it the last!!
DJ CHASE WHITE 3:32 PM - 27 September, 2014
Hello Everyone,

I have been having troubles with my Pioneer DDJ - SX ever since i upgraded my 2011 macbook bro to the new MAC OS 10.9.5. My hardware information is: Processor: 2.3 Ghz Inter core i5. 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3. This issue began when i also upgraded my serato DJ software to the 1.7.0 version. Prior to that i was on the serato DJ version 1.6.3. I have tried downgrading and using both serato versions, but all to no avail.

Here is a quick summary of the issue being experienced. The set up process seems to be fine, but while i am djaying, the controller stops producing output/sound, the jog wheel becomes unresponsive, the entire controller becomes unresponsive, and i can only control the serato dj via my laptop. The only way to re-gain control will be by powering off the controller and then back on.

I have experienced this issue during my last few gigs, and it is quite embarrassing to have interrupted music while performing.

Also, it is very difficult to identify where the issue is arising from, as it could be the controller, or my macbook update, or the incompatibility of the new serato DJ version.

Please help!!!
chims 9:09 AM - 4 October, 2014
I have the same problem my first gig with the SR and a few sessions at home. I just updated the firmware and will be using it at a gig tomorrow—hope it works. I'll try to report back.

pioneerdj.com
DJ CHASE WHITE 10:24 AM - 5 October, 2014
Thank you. Please let me know how it works.
chims 4:39 AM - 8 October, 2014
So as a follow up report on my DDJ-SR with the firmware updated, it still crashed once, where the controller froze up and everything was unresponsive.

After a reset, my right deck become unresponsive.

2 Serato restarts later, it worked, but the right deck played reverse only.

I ended up flipping the right deck to be deck 4 instead of 2, and it worked fine that way the rest of the evening.

Super faulty system. I would not recommend this at a high profile event. I was lucky it froze in moments where I was able to unplug the controller and restart Serato without anyone caring.
TEESEE 2:05 PM - 20 October, 2014
It happen to me this past weekend after i updated my serato to 1.7.1 . I even wipe my mack clean and relodaded the OS, took it to the MAC store and found nothing out the ordinary. Still experiencing this crappy failure..
Not sure what to do, Hope is not my DDJ SX
SERATO>>>> what's the fix?
R03l 2:27 AM - 25 October, 2014
Same issue here. Regular crashes of the DDJ-SX. Controller freezes up, lights stop but the software keeps working. Had this in 1.7.0 & 1.7.1. Now running public beta 1.7.2. Latest firmware and the same thing happens on multiple PC's. All Win8 by the way.

I've been reading posts from others as early as 2013, with the exact same issue, happening to both Win & Mac users. Shouldn't this have been fixed by now?

The workaround for me is to connect a backup emergency audio source (eg: mp3 player or phone) to an extra mixer, in between the DDJ-SX and the amps. If the freeze happens the backup audio source can be used for a single song and the controller can be reset in the mean time. Of course, it's hard to do a clean mix to the backup source.
djmauriciohitai 5:13 PM - 4 November, 2014
I'm using macbook pro and ddi sx…i was playing when the music starts to reverse(censor)
could somebody give me a help?
DJ CHASE WHITE 10:20 AM - 6 November, 2014
Hello All,

Apparently this issue is specific to the pioneer controller. I was able to get a hold of pioneer, and they replaced the control center in my DDJ-SX.

Controller hasn't mal-functioned since then, and it works fine.

I recommend contacting Pioneer, or your retailer directly to have this issue resolved.

Thank you.
rob m 5:20 PM - 23 November, 2014
Mine did exactly the same and has been doing so for the past few weeks was never an issue before and had the unit nearly a year now. contacted pioneer and also going to contact my dealer tomorrow.
Asu 3:39 PM - 5 December, 2014
Quote:
It happen to me this past weekend after i updated my serato to 1.7.1 . I even wipe my mack clean and relodaded the OS, took it to the MAC store and found nothing out the ordinary. Still experiencing this crappy failure..
Not sure what to do, Hope is not my DDJ SX
SERATO>>>> what's the fix?

the fix is...1.5.0 and Serato video 1.1/mix Emergency....what i did was rename the app 1.5.0 before installing 1.7.1 so i have both but i have found 1.5.0 is the most stable serato version ever and that's what i use live...rocking 8 hrs shows with no problem...my other option is Scratch Live +57+Turntables :-)

The problem is all this new supported hardware...must be hard for serato to fix DDJ-SX related issues...but ofcourse we'd like a fix
Asu 12:44 PM - 8 December, 2014
I actually meant 1.6.0 and serato Video 1.1...rock solid...used it this weekend for a 7 hour gig...no issues at all on a mid 2012 Macbook Pro,Intel i7, 8GB Ram,GT650
dj Lorc 1:11 PM - 21 August, 2015
I am experiencing the same problem with my NS7II. the moment I upgraded to 1.76 it started going off in the middle of a set producing a cut sound while the sounds neither freeze nor fail to respond
Asu 11:23 AM - 28 August, 2015
Quote:
I am experiencing the same problem with my NS7II. the moment I upgraded to 1.76 it started going off in the middle of a set producing a cut sound while the sounds neither freeze nor fail to respond

Just download what works for you...i've had some problems too with the latest update on my Macbook pro...shut down twice on 2 different occasions...gonna roll back to the older version which had no issues.

File a help request with serato or go back to the old version
schmitd 11:52 PM - 30 August, 2015
I don't know if i'm at the right place to post my issue but.....

I'm using serato ddj sx and my left deck doesn't scratch when i'm using deck 1 but i can scratch using deck 3.

Can you guys help me please (my apology if i'm not using the right forum)

Thanks
WildcardX 1:29 AM - 31 August, 2015
Quote:
I don't know if i'm at the right place to post my issue but.....

I'm using serato ddj sx and my left deck doesn't scratch when i'm using deck 1 but i can scratch using deck 3.

Can you guys help me please (my apology if i'm not using the right forum)

Thanks

Firstly, it's a good idea to start a thread concerning your issue instead of using some one else's thread. In some corners of the Interwebz, it might be considered bad Internet etiquette. Also it can help streamline the help you may receive.

Great now with that out the way, when you have Deck 1 engaged, make sure that you have the Vinyl Mode Engaged for Deck 1. If you can scratch with Deck 3 engaged then it doesn't seem to be a hardware issue or; and to a lesser extent; a software issue. Just a thought on what you can try. Cheers.
julianBW 5:11 PM - 22 September, 2015
I just experienced a problem with my Pioneer DDj Sx where i was in the middle of a gig when my controller froze and became unresponsive. I unplugged my Mac and powered off the controller and now it's nothing detected at all, i've tried to reset the controller but no luck so far. This is the first time it has done this I've never had any issue with the controller before.
Asu 5:23 PM - 22 September, 2015
Quote:
I just experienced a problem with my Pioneer DDj Sx where i was in the middle of a gig when my controller froze and became unresponsive. I unplugged my Mac and powered off the controller and now it's nothing detected at all, i've tried to reset the controller but no luck so far. This is the first time it has done this I've never had any issue with the controller before.

What operating system? had an issue with a DDJ-SZ labour day weekend...i tried two of them and they all dropped the connection,they'd only connect briefly,had to you a friends 57SL and scratch live...my SX and Rane MKII however work just fine...very odd.

could be an update of some kind
Asu 5:24 PM - 22 September, 2015
had to use a TTM-57SL otherwise my weekend was gonna be ruined
julianBW 8:13 PM - 22 September, 2015
it seems my DDJ SX has lost its firmware. It's not detected on my serrato neither is it detected on my USB ports to check firmware version. Any advice on how this can be restored?
Asu 5:47 PM - 29 September, 2015
Quote:
it seems my DDJ SX has lost its firmware. It's not detected on my serrato neither is it detected on my USB ports to check firmware version. Any advice on how this can be restored?

That seems impossible...try a different laptop...if not re-flash firmware
BeZZZ 9:45 PM - 10 December, 2015
Please Help;

I have purchased 2 AT-LP1240 turntables from Amazon I also pick up AT90CD cartridge. I have a Pioneer DDJ-SX it works great until I hook up the tables to sketch. When I hook the turntables up and put on the Serato Control disk, all I get is high hum type noise.

Computer Dell Alien running XP Pro

Turntable RCA outputs to the DDJ-SX RCA Phone inputs with ground hook up.

Help please,
Asu 12:43 AM - 11 December, 2015
Quote:
Please Help;

I have purchased 2 AT-LP1240 turntables from Amazon I also pick up AT90CD cartridge. I have a Pioneer DDJ-SX it works great until I hook up the tables to sketch. When I hook the turntables up and put on the Serato Control disk, all I get is high hum type noise.

Computer Dell Alien running XP Pro

Turntable RCA outputs to the DDJ-SX RCA Phone inputs with ground hook up.

Help please,

if you have DDJ-SX1 it won't work, you need DDJ-SX2
BeZZZ 1:11 AM - 11 December, 2015
Do you know then why dose the DDJSx have phone inputs? Please tell me it's so I just spent $800
DJ Cyrix 11:54 AM - 11 December, 2015
Only to play ordinary vinyl... DDJ-SX1 doesn't support DVS.
Asu 6:10 PM - 11 December, 2015
Quote:
Do you know then why dose the DDJSx have phone inputs? Please tell me it's so I just spent $800

Yes the SX2 will work with TurnTables or CDJs for serato DJ...you bought the wrong one
Mixxula 3:13 AM - 13 December, 2015
Under 'Audio' in setup move the latency to 10.

I also recommend a high speed USB cable such as this:

www.amazon.com

I have no more skips. Flawless like it should be.

@mixxula #PartyStarter #DJVatican
Mixxula 4:28 AM - 13 December, 2015
Quote:
Under 'Audio' in setup move the latency to 10.

I also recommend a high speed USB cable such as this:

www.amazon.com

I have no more skips. Flawless like it should be.

@mixxula #PartyStarter #DJVatican
Mixxula 4:29 AM - 13 December, 2015
Quote:
Hi guys,as i've been told from Serato team on Fb.,i'm sending you my request 4 solving my problem.I updated my Mac to Maverick,and on last week deejay gig,my Pioneer DDJ SX crushed 3 times,like never before.In one moment sound went off(before that,in a split of seconds,it started to chop sound,and sound go off,but on the software,the wave of the songs are still running,but the controller was not reacting at all),and i had to turn on-off,and plug in and out usb cable,every time...I had before Lion OSX,and that never happened,in one moment,after third time,i did not know what to do?....I'm stressed playing music,not fun,i am a deejay 4 25,and more...so this is answer from Serato on Fb.:"Serato:Hey Reljic DjMunja Dejan, Mac OS X Mavericks should be supported in an update very soon. It's currently not but that particular issue doesn't sound like it is definitely related. Have you been in touch with our support team? We can probably look into your system to find out what's not playing nicely together." Please help!!!??? I am first hip-hop,and one of the first dj's in club music,from Serbia.I am playing and promoting,Serato and digital dj-ing from the very start,so it look like when that happened,like i was on drugs,or something,the owner of the club and crowd were very unhappy,and i was very embarrassing 4 me.....Look in to my system,and i will do everything to fix that!Thanks in advanced!
WildcardX 3:26 PM - 13 December, 2015
Quote:

The SX1 can work as a stand alone mixer; that is not through Serato; this is why it has phono inputs. The SX2 however allows for DVS with Serato.
Asu 4:02 PM - 13 December, 2015
Quote:
I updated my Mac to Maverick

I'd recommend Yosemite...DDJ-SX is trouble free on that...i just did a 7 hr gig with no issues at all using SDJ 1.8

Quote:
The SX1 can work as a stand alone mixer; that is not through Serato; this is why it has phono inputs. The SX2 however allows for DVS with Serato.

Yeah i think he wants DVS,that's why he spent that $800+ but was disappointed to learn he got the wrong one.
DJ Linksua 3:47 PM - 19 January, 2016
some tips for you guys:

1. While Playing a set, sometimes could not load song on deck 1 or 2 (but still load on deck 3): :D don't be panic. Let's try this: still keep deck 1 or 2 active (blue light); just press "Cue" button, then you can load song on the deck (although before you may unloaded song on deck 1 or 2 before you press the Cue button). if still fails, just restart as you did & mentioned already!
P/S. sometime because of the USB cable problem.

2. I had a long last question on why my SX1 could not work with my customized PC (I bought separated parts, such as ASUS mainboard, Intel Core i5 chip, WD HDD, Adata RAM...). The software & SX connected fine, but no sound on master channel (while pressing "play" button, song seems to be being played). Then the reason is because of my Logitec wireless combo Mouse & Keyboard: I just unplug the set (I mean the USB plug) then everything just work fine. So my advice: try not to connect any other USB device why playing SX
sotosoul 8:01 AM - 13 February, 2016
Hey, just out of curiosity, on what audio levels where you playing when this audio problem appeared? Had the mixed been playing in the reds?

I have the DDJ-SX on El Capitan with Serato DJ version 1.7.8 (The latest versions have GUI issues...) and I have never had this problem until about two weeks ago.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to reproduce it

So?