Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Serato Dj Problem with New Haswell MacBook Pro Retina and DJM 900 SRT

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
djfreefall 10:50 PM - 29 October, 2013
I just spend 4 hours verifying on 3 different computers. 1 Macbook (2009) 1 MacBook Pro Mid (2012) and my new machine Retina MacBook Pro (Late 2013) There is a tracking issue that affects both CDJ's and Vinyl with the new haswell MBP. The signal fluctuates from as best as 90% to as low as 10-15% and sometimes a complete drop out. When I adjusted the latency to 2 or 5ms The highest signal I got was 8%. I have tried all the "macbook air" and "retina" remedies ie: shutting off wifi, blue tooth, automatic graphics switching etc. I have the newest firmware from Pioneer and newest drivers as well. The only computer I have had an issue with was the the new MBP. The other computers played well immediately. All the computers are running the new Mavericks OS as well. So I am thinking it may be an architecture compatibility issue. Aside from that I also noted that played songs would not highlight in any color (Blue or Grey) after being played. Can someone from R&D or another DJ please verify this problem with any new MBP. I have resorted to using my SL2 with my SRT until they can remedy a fix. Thanks!
Serato, Support
Sam GG 12:09 AM - 30 October, 2013
Hey djfreefall,

I have moved this thread to the help request area so the support team can have a look into the issue when they get a chance.

In the future its best to create a help request here if you have an issue that you want the team to check out: serato.com

Drop in any more information that you think may be useful for the person who jumps in to help you out :)

Sam
12:09 AM, 30 Oct 2013
Discussion moved to Pioneer Hardware Help
Serato, Support
David Wood 8:42 PM - 4 November, 2013
Hey djfreefall,

Thanks for getting in touch,

Before I can start the troubleshooting process I need to gather some further information,

1. Can you send me your FULL computer specs?
2. What OSX are you currently running? (If you are not on Mavericks 10.9 yet i'd suggest upgrading as the it seems those with issues with the new chipsets have found relief coming with the new OSX.

4. Are you using any other USB devices?
-- Any wireless mouses / keyboards?

Regards
Dave W
djfreefall 9:03 PM - 4 November, 2013
Thanks Dave
I have a 15" MacBook Pro Retina
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz
16GB 1600MHz memory
512GB PCIe-based flash storage 1
Intel Iris Pro Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
with 2GB GDDR5 memory
Built-in battery (8 hours)2

It came already preloaded with Mavericks from Apple. 10.9

Not using any wireless keyboards, or mice while I'm out working, but at home in the studio I have an apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse.

The only other USB accessory I am using is the Pioneer DDJ SP1.
Serato, Support
David Wood 9:11 PM - 4 November, 2013
Quote:
The signal fluctuates from as best as 90% to as low as 10-15% and sometimes a complete drop out

So this issue is USB dropout?
Are you using a USB hub at all?
Quote:
I have resorted to using my SL2 with my SRT until they can remedy a fix. Thanks!

So this issue doesn't appear with the Rane SL2 only the Pioneer DDJM900 SRT?
djfreefall 9:23 PM - 4 November, 2013
I don't think it's a USB dropout, the light never comes on. I am plugged in directly into the machine (no USB hub) I have tried switching USB sides to see if it helps.
It's only with Serato Dj and using the 900 SRT as my Soundcard that I have this problem. When I use SL I have no issues what so ever.

I did a fresh reinstall of Serato DJ and plugged in my 900 SRT and I got this message.

Kernel extension is not from an identified developer

The kernel extension at "/System/Library/Extensions/DJM-900 SRT USBAudio.kext" is not from an identified developer but will still be loaded.

Please contact the kernel extension vendor for updated software.
Serato, Support
David Wood 2:18 AM - 6 November, 2013
Thats a new gatekeeper warning with Mavericks, happens with many devices., That shouldn't be the issue.
Do you have these drivers for your DDJM-900 SRT: www.pioneerelectronics.com

Let me know if that helps at all.

Regards
Dave W
6:20 PM, 6 Nov 2013
djfreefall attached a file: SDJ 2009 MacBook.MOV
Download· Permalink
6:21 PM, 6 Nov 2013
djfreefall attached a file: SDJ 2013 MacBook Pro.MOV
Download· Permalink
djfreefall 6:21 PM - 6 November, 2013
Hey Dave, I had that driver and firmware previously installed already but I went ahead and re-installed both again to see if it made any difference. Im attaching two videos so you can see exactly what happens. One is with my wife's old 2009 MacBook and the other is with the new MacBook Pro Retina. I set up my rig in the kitchen for better lighting thats why you see the cheeseballs in the background..lol
7:49 PM, 6 Nov 2013
djfreefall attached a file: photo 1.JPG
View· Permalink
7:50 PM, 6 Nov 2013
djfreefall attached a file: photo 2.JPG
View· Permalink
djfreefall attached a file: Screen Shot 2013-11-06 at 2.42.13 PM.png
View· Permalink
djfreefall attached a file: Screen Shot 2013-11-06 at 2.45.01 PM.png
View· Permalink
djfreefall 7:51 PM - 6 November, 2013
More Pics and Screenshots
djfreefall 8:48 AM - 11 November, 2013
Any Luck??
Serato, Support
David Wood 8:23 PM - 11 November, 2013
I'm not 100% on what the issue actually is, if it's not USB dropout.
Quote:
The signal fluctuates from as best as 90% to as low as 10-15% and sometimes a complete drop out.

Maybe you could make a video to show us this in action, it could really help us with our investigation.

Regards
Dave W
djfreefall 8:35 PM - 11 November, 2013
I hope this helps. Thank you!
Running fine on old machine youtu.be

Problems running on new MBP part 1
youtu.be

Problems running on new MBP part 2
youtu.be
djfreefall 8:42 PM - 11 November, 2013
I'm using vinyl in this video but it's the same issue using Control CDs. I also have a ddj sx that runs serato Dj and I have not had issues at all with the controller.
Serato, Support
David Wood 9:09 PM - 11 November, 2013
Have a look at these scope descriptions, meanwhile i'm going to work on getting this in front of one of our product team to help diagnose what might be the issue here: serato.com
Serato, Support
David Wood 9:14 PM - 11 November, 2013
Where you your USB buffer latency set to in Serato DJ across all computers?
Also what happens if you remove the SP1?

djfreefall 9:33 PM - 11 November, 2013
Dave, I didn't have the sp1 plugged in these videos because the problem is happening even with out it plugged in.
I have the USB buffer set to 1ms on all machines.
If I set the USB buffer on anything higher than 1ms on the 900 using the new MacBook Pro it completely distorts and tracking doesn't go higher than 5 or 6%
Serato, Support
David Wood 10:57 PM - 12 November, 2013
Well 1ms is working your computer the hardest. If you set it further down that means it doesn't work as hard, but the latency isn't always as tight.

I'd like to find a time to get on the phone with you about this. I'll PM you.

Regards
Dave W
djfreefall 11:00 PM - 12 November, 2013
Sounds good let me know. Thanks again.
djbbarcellos 3:05 AM - 18 November, 2013
Hello

I Just like to share my videos with you djFreefall as well as the Serato and Pionner community
on the attempt that we will find a possible solution for this current problem.

Watchwww.youtube.com

Thank you
djfreefall 10:16 PM - 18 November, 2013
Quote:
Hello

I Just like to share my videos with you djFreefall as well as the Serato and Pionner community
on the attempt that we will find a possible solution for this current problem.

Watchwww.youtube.com

Thank you

The link isnt working
DjRNo 1:28 AM - 19 November, 2013
I know this is totally different software version & hardware, but I believe there might be something in common with my issue, check it out:

youtu.be

And the help request with 99 messages and not solved. So hopefully you'll get lucky.

serato.com/forum/discussion/1000069

Oh and I think Serato should really start working a bit more in co-operation with Intel.
alphanumerik 3:12 AM - 2 December, 2013
Has this issue been resolved?

I've just received my SRT and am experiencing the exact same issue with my new Macbook Pro Haswell. I've been troubleshooting all day and it only happens when I introduce DVS into the mix. I'm soley a control vinyl user so the DVS capability of the mixer is it's gold for me. I've installed, uninstalled, and re-installed the driver, updated the firmware to v1.10 and upgraded SDJ to 1.5.2

I get the sound degredation and cutout almost immediately after dropping the needle. Needle tracking and noise estimates seem to be OK here actually; it's as if the song begins to play and quickly transitions into a sound similar to the 'crush' effect on the mixer and then into complete dropout, ultimately requiring a reboot of the mixer and SDJ.

Can any other MBP Retina Haswell SRT users out there comment on this?

Dave, freefall; any leads here?

My Specs:
2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB
OS X 10.9

Thanks so much, looking forward to getting it up and running.
alphanumerik 4:06 PM - 2 December, 2013
Quote:
The only computer I have had an issue with was the the new MBP. The other computers played well immediately. All the computers are running the new Mavericks OS as well. So I am thinking it may be an architecture compatibility issue.

Update to my previous post:

The SRT performs like a champ on my Mac Pro 2,1 tower running SDJ 1.5.2 on OSX 10.7.5 (I'm unable to update further with this model, otherwise I would have Mavericks installed for further testing of this issue). I'm in agreement that this seems like an architecture compatibility issue with the new Retina MBPs.

Again, any updates on this issue would be extremely well appreciated.

Thanks!
djfreefall 7:17 PM - 2 December, 2013
Im happy that Serato is trying to remedy the situation, because Pioneer has completely ignored me. I have called Pioneer tech support and they said to post in their Forum so that their Japan R&D can see the problem. I have posted 3 times and their moderator has deleted my 3 posts regarding the issues.

I am convinced that it is a Pioneer driver issue specifically with the SRT. When Serato DJ 1.6 is released if my SL2 works just as good as my DDJ SX we will know for sure.
Serato, Support
David Wood 2:39 AM - 3 December, 2013
Hey djfreefall,

Did you see the private message i sent you? I'd be keen to look at this more closely with you as soon as we both have the time available.

Regards
Dave W
alphanumerik 8:30 PM - 3 December, 2013
Thats unfortunate that Pioneer is not providing you with some better insight into this. It seems that this should be top priority considering that any users that upgrade their MacBooks will run into this issue until it's resolved.

I spun a 4 hour set last night with the SRT wired into my Mac Pro tower; exact same turntables, needles, music library, cables, firmware, SDJ version, etc...literally just unplugged the MacBook and plugged into the tower. Not a single issue. This is fine of course if I'm planning on lugging my tower and monitor into a gig :P

I've wired a Sound Devices MixPre-D into the Haswell machine as a sound card for field recordings and experienced great results as well as using the SL-1 box flawlessly with Scratch Live, so I'm ruling out the possibility of the Macbook Pro having inherent latency buffer issues with sound cards as was suggested by another user on a separate thread.

I'll have to agree with your assessment that we're dealing with a Pioneer driver issue here.

Dave, please keep us all posted on Serato's official assessment of this issue and when a remedy can be expected.

Thanks again
Beatlogik 8:18 PM - 9 December, 2013
Any leads on a fix to this issue? My Macbook Pro Haswell/DJM-900 SRT combo is a $6000 dust collection center taking up space in the studio right now.
Serato, Support
David Wood 3:29 AM - 11 December, 2013
We haven't moved to far on this as yet, I'd suggest starting your own help threads so we can give you more personal support. I'm still waiting to hear back from djfreefall.

Regards
Dave W
djfreefall 3:49 AM - 11 December, 2013
Sorry Dave I did get your PM. Will try to set up chat tomorrow if possible.
Serato, Support
David Wood 9:29 PM - 11 December, 2013
Yeah cool, PM me when you have more detail for me.

Regards
Dave W
alphanumerik 4:49 PM - 21 December, 2013
Quick update for all who are ending up on this thread because of compatibility problems with their Haswell Retina machines and SDJ:

A combination of a PRAM and SMC reset and an OSX10.9.1 update has got me up and running on SDJ 1.5.2. I've been running DVS for the past 3 hours and no problems yet, fingers crossed as this has had me pulling my hair out of my head the past month!

For more info on this check out:

thenextweb.com!qplUm
alphanumerik 6:17 PM - 21 December, 2013
Scratch that, sorry guys. Just shitted out on me

Back to square 1
Addicted 2 bass 9:22 PM - 4 January, 2014
Hello guys, what's the latest on the Mbp retina signal not working with djm 900 srt? I've got exactly the same problem and equipment as Dj free fall.
alphanumerik 12:37 AM - 5 January, 2014
I've been further testing and I'm almost positive that a firmware/hardware update needs to happen. Pioneer has not had an update since the release of the new machines, I've contacted their customer support team and am waiting on a reply.

I've spun problem-free sets using the Pioneer DDJ-SX with the exact same machine and software combo. I also spun NYE last week with the 900SRT and a borrowed 2008 Macbook Pro without any problems. It is only the combo of the retina machines with the SRT as far as I can tell.

Addicted 2 bass, have you tried out the new beta build? I seem to be getting better luck with it actually, but it's in no way ready to be used in a professional environment at this time
Addicted 2 bass 7:43 PM - 5 January, 2014
There must be thousands of people worldwide with this problem. I'm going to be patient with my combo and carry on with the vinyl's. I think you're right alphanumeric with the firmware/hardware update idea.

Somebody please let me know when there ready to go!!
djfreefall 9:29 PM - 5 January, 2014
I've been trolling the Pioneer Dj support sites, but the moderators are deleting all my posts. They even went on to post that mavericks has been tested to have 100% compatibility with the DJM900 SRT current firmware. It sucks that they are blatantly ignoring the fact that there is no alternative to a retina MPB. Therefore every new MPB user will have this problem. I gave up on finding a solution. It's been 80 days since I originally found this problem, and Im just dealing with it. The serato team has been more than cooperative in trying to find a solution, but the fact that my SL2,DDJSX,Etc work perfectly with Serato DJ (even with new beta) proves that it's a firmware issue on the DJM900SRT itself.
DJ_Rossco2 4:34 AM - 6 January, 2014
I'm tracking this topic and watching it closely.

Buying a new 900 srt and moving from scratch live to sdj hasn't been the best experience I've had with serato. I think I'm now going to be in the market for an upgraded MacBook Pro as mine is at the bottom of the specs for serato Dj. I'm getting tons of pops, clicks, and full CPU usage on track load (& randomly) even with center, or right of center USB buffer.

Additionally I experience on occasion both decks dropping tracking at the same time forcing a hasty jump to internal mode.

Djm 900 srt
MacBook Pro, 15, 2.53 core 2 duo, mavericks
Serato Dj (1.5.2)
T1200 3md
alphanumerik 6:36 PM - 6 January, 2014
DJ_Rossco, it sounds like you are experiencing a problem that may be different from what is being discussed in this thread. This is a problem that it seems we've limited to the architecture of the brand new Macbook Pros. If you were to upgrade your machine you'd be running into the same issue we have here. I think there are some other forum threads that may be be able to help you out.

djfreefall, which Pioneer forums have you been trolling? I've emailed their US service rep a few times and am still waiting on a response regarding the issue:

djs.support@pioneer-usa.com

I agree that the "OS X Mavericks v10.9 varification was completed. " message on the driver page is a bit of a backstab for us new Macbook Pro users.

I am, however, intrigued by the fact that I get much better results with the latest beta release of SDJ...

Anyone with any insight on the development of this issue please chime in ASAP
alphanumerik 12:16 AM - 7 January, 2014
Looks like Pioneer just removed the aformentioned "OS X Mavericks v10.9 varification was completed. " message as of this afternoon...let's hope that the development elves are hard at work for their customers :)
DJ_Rossco2 12:17 AM - 7 January, 2014
Alpha - - just throwing in my bit for the part about dropping tracking on both decks while using the djm 900 srt. I've never captured the scope behavior during this problem as exampled in the OP. It doesn't sound too different than what you guys are experiencing.

I'm waiting to see what get's resolved here before I buy a new Macbook Pro (quite sure my primary difficulties are just running with a lower spec machine).
alphanumerik 9:08 PM - 7 January, 2014
Just received an email back from Pioneer support:

"Thank you for contacting Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc.
The Serato software is not compatible with OS X 10.9.
You would need to roll back to 10.8 or wait for them to release an update. "

Is anyone out there running 10.8 on the new machines and still experiencing issues??
djfreefall 12:10 AM - 8 January, 2014
Quote:
Is anyone out there running 10.8 on the new machines and still experiencing issues??

Every new machine comes from the factory with 10.9, and even though it's not Impossible to run 10.8 on the new MBP, Apple HIGHLY discourages it. They say because of issues with Bluetooth, Graphics devices, and processor hardware it would hinder performance, and possibly damage chipset due to improper settings. Ill wait it out, Im glad you got a response from them. Hopefully they will come up with something soon.
alphanumerik 1:50 AM - 8 January, 2014
Just heard from them again:

Thank you for contacting Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc.
Our engineers have verified the mixer is compatible with the 10.9 OS. You would need to work with Serato for them to provide the update.
Serato, Support
David Wood 2:55 AM - 8 January, 2014
We can't say whether it's the Mac, Pioneer DJM 900 SRT or the Serato DJ software until we have worked more closely with users such as djfreefall, to look at the issue. I've contacted djfreefall for us to talk via phone and hopefully we can do this this week.

Regards
Dave W
alphanumerik 3:21 PM - 8 January, 2014
Thanks Dave, appreciate your continued support on this. I've opened a new thread per your suggestion. Please let me know if I can help in any way as well as I continue to test
djfreefall 5:28 PM - 9 January, 2014
I have used the new serato dj beta 1.6.3175 with my SL2 for my last 2 gigs and it has worked flawlessly. What I don't understand is if it's a serato sound card inside the mixer i.e.: SL2, SL3 etc. why is this problem happening...Dave I sent you a DM for session.
Dj Mikey d 8:02 AM - 11 January, 2014
I have the same problem. I have late 2013 15" rmbp and it does it. It does it a lot less with 1.6.0.3175. I also updated the mixer to version 1.10.
Dj Mikey d 8:02 AM - 11 January, 2014
I have the same problem. I have late 2013 15" rmbp and it does it. It does it a lot less with 1.6.0.3175. I also updated the mixer to version 1.10.
deejdave 8:13 PM - 11 January, 2014
Quote:
I have used the new serato dj beta 1.6.3175 with my SL2 for my last 2 gigs and it has worked flawlessly. What I don't understand is if it's a serato sound card inside the mixer i.e.: SL2, SL3 etc. why is this problem happening...Dave I sent you a DM for session.

I don't KNOW for sure but I am willing to bet all my money they didn't simply throw the circuits from an SL4 (obviously could ONLY be this one being it is 4 channels right?) and hope for the best. There are features that the mixer has the the SL4 does not even support. Furthermore the software knows enough to open the Pioneer DJM-900SRT setting utility software and there are way more options so I think this should be looked at in the proper perspective: NEW MIXER = NEW INTERFACE = NEW PROBLEMS. I have been using the SRT since release day and I can confirm that I have had NO ISSUES whatsoever. With you and DJ Mikey D & Alphanumerik there seems to be three similarities (The SRT, The Haswell & Mavericks) and any one of them could be to blame. The problem is when something is designed they don't necessarily design it for specific use with ANY one software or hardware in mind & when software is developed it is designed to work with as many hardware combinations as possible but when something DOES not work with a specific hardware set that wasn't even developed when the software was I'm not sure if it is fair to a.) expect full compatibility right away or b.) assume it is either until proper testing has been done.

@ DJ_Rossco2 - It would seem to me that your best bet is to either hold off until this has been fixed or go for a non-haswell MacBook Pro if the SRT is set in your mind. I can assure it is worth the wait as the SRT is KING!! I also feel that djfreefall & the Serato team are doing an EXCELLENT job here and they will in turn help out many others so for what it's worth a big THANK YOU goes to both parties. I can tell you from experience troubleshooting is a process of elimination and it is in no way fun or exciting and he's hanging in there like a champ. Hopefully the final release of 1.6 will put this problem to bed and from the looks of his most recent comment "I have used the new serato dj beta 1.6.3175 with my SL2 for my last 2 gigs and it has worked flawlessly" the end IS IN SIGHT!!
djfreefall 3:21 AM - 13 January, 2014
Whats up fellas, just wanted to keep everyone up to speed regarding my ongoing SRT900 issue. Today I finally got to set up a team viewer session with the Dave and the Serato team in New Zealand to find a definitive answer for my problem. After almost an hour of diagnosing and troubleshooting we finally found that my issue is a hardware related "faulty sound card" inside my 900SRT from the factory. We tested this by using my 900 SRT as a default sound card for my MPB and playing back sound though iTunes, Ableton, ETC and reproducing the same gargling or crusher sound during playing back. I am ordering a replacement mixer from Guitar Center tomorrow. I will keep everyone posted, when the new mixer arrives. Thank you Dave and Serato for your exemplary customer service.
Dj Mikey d 5:20 AM - 13 January, 2014
Quote:
Whats up fellas, just wanted to keep everyone up to speed regarding my ongoing SRT900 issue. Today I finally got to set up a team viewer session with the Dave and the Serato team in New Zealand to find a definitive answer for my problem. After almost an hour of diagnosing and troubleshooting we finally found that my issue is a hardware related "faulty sound card" inside my 900SRT from the factory. We tested this by using my 900 SRT as a default sound card for my MPB and playing back sound though iTunes, Ableton, ETC and reproducing the same gargling or crusher sound during playing back. I am ordering a replacement mixer from Guitar Center tomorrow. I will keep everyone posted, when the new mixer arrives. Thank you Dave and Serato for your exemplary customer service.

everytime i play a song on itunes and use channel 1 it does it automatically. Would that indicate that mine too is probably faulty..... Another question, does this mean that this problem has nothing to do with the new haswell computers?
Serato, Support
David Wood 8:24 PM - 13 January, 2014
Hey Guys,

We don't believe at this stage that the Haswell chipsets have anything to do with DJfreefall's issue.

The only issues we saw with Haswell chipsets were when Mac released the new Macbook Retina and Macbook Air's with these chipsets, (in my mind a little early) packaged with OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.5. However once OSX Mavericks 10.9 was released the new drivers which were bundled with this new OSX sorted out the USB issues, that were being reported.

I'd suggest that if you are having issues with your Pioneer DJM-900 SRT and Serato DJ that you start your own help thread so that we can give you more personal support over there.

Regards
Dave W
Dj Mikey d 3:40 AM - 14 January, 2014
Quote:
Hey Guys,

We don't believe at this stage that the Haswell chipsets have anything to do with DJfreefall's issue.

The only issues we saw with Haswell chipsets were when Mac released the new Macbook Retina and Macbook Air's with these chipsets, (in my mind a little early) packaged with OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.5. However once OSX Mavericks 10.9 was released the new drivers which were bundled with this new OSX sorted out the USB issues, that were being reported.

I'd suggest that if you are having issues with your Pioneer DJM-900 SRT and Serato DJ that you start your own help thread so that we can give you more personal support over there.

Regards
Dave W

serato.com
haven't gotten much help from mine :(
alphanumerik 6:00 AM - 14 January, 2014
Using the SRT as a sound card with my Haswell machine (using itunes) yields the same flawed results as with Serato DJ; is this THE indicator that my mixer has a corrupt sound card as well? Thanks Serato
Serato, Support
David Wood 8:39 PM - 14 January, 2014
DJFreefall is having his Pioneer DJM-900 SRT Mixer tested and checked out, we'll maybe have more after we hear back from him.

Regards
Dave W
Dj Mikey d 3:22 PM - 15 January, 2014
what is really weird that when i open 1.6 on a new session it will do it very rarely. However if I open 1.5.2 and it will do it right away, then opening 1.6 will trigger the same sound right away. It's almost as if 1.5.2 wakes up the symptom and then there is no going without it.
alphanumerik 3:56 PM - 15 January, 2014
Quote:
what is really weird that when i open 1.6 on a new session it will do it very rarely. However if I open 1.5.2 and it will do it right away, then opening 1.6 will trigger the same sound right away. It's almost as if 1.5.2 wakes up the symptom and then there is no going without it.

I get something similar as well. A reboot of the mixer and laptop is the only way I've found to reset this
Dj Mikey d 4:11 PM - 15 January, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

I get something similar as well. A reboot of the mixer and laptop is the only way I've found to reset this

but then you still get it on occasion with 1.6 and all the time with 1.5.2. Vicious circle.

What computer do you have?
alphanumerik 1:57 AM - 16 January, 2014
Late 2013 15" Macbook Pro Retina
2.6 Ghz 16Gb Ram

U?
Dj Mikey d 2:00 AM - 16 January, 2014
exact same. I have a feeling that this has to do with the new macs
JLav 4:05 AM - 16 January, 2014
Hello DJ friends,
I just stumbled on to this forum and thought I'd offer my findings.
I'm not a DJ, but I do use a pro-audio USB interface with my Mac.
Last week I received my new full-spec MBPr from Apple. (2.6 i7, 16G Ram, 1TB Flash, Nvidia)
Interface failure... crackle noise, then silence.
This is a widespread issue with the new Macs, affecting many interfaces from many manufacturers.
discussions.apple.com
I'm in discussion for the past week with several Tier 2 supervisors who in communication with Apple engineering.
The most hopeful news as of today is that 10.9.2 probably contains a fix.
No news about when it will be released, but you can find a beta on page 16 of the above thread.
I feel your pain, and I trust that Apple will correct this issue in the very near future.
alphanumerik 9:08 PM - 16 January, 2014
Thanks for your comments JLav. It does seem that this could be a culprit as well. I use a Sound Devices MixPre-D USB interface in addition to the SL-1 interface, both which work fine on my new Mac. Hence another factor in this messy equation
Dj Mikey d 12:15 AM - 17 January, 2014
Quote:
Hello DJ friends,
I just stumbled on to this forum and thought I'd offer my findings.
I'm not a DJ, but I do use a pro-audio USB interface with my Mac.
Last week I received my new full-spec MBPr from Apple. (2.6 i7, 16G Ram, 1TB Flash, Nvidia)
Interface failure... crackle noise, then silence.
This is a widespread issue with the new Macs, affecting many interfaces from many manufacturers.
discussions.apple.com
I'm in discussion for the past week with several Tier 2 supervisors who in communication with Apple engineering.
The most hopeful news as of today is that 10.9.2 probably contains a fix.
No news about when it will be released, but you can find a beta on page 16 of the above thread.
I feel your pain, and I trust that Apple will correct this issue in the very near future.

much appreciate the information and it definitely makes sense that an update would fix this problem.

However, I would not recommend for someone to install the beta on their computer as it could result in other problems which could be dangerous when playing live.
MotorBoatKing 6:55 AM - 19 January, 2014
WTF i am so pist i did not read this before i bought the mixer and the mac geezus i am pist.
Snert 7:54 PM - 19 January, 2014
So I am looking at buying a new Macbook Pro and this is making me extremely nervous. Is everything going to be sorted out in a month?
Serato, Support
David Wood 1:40 AM - 20 January, 2014
Quote:
However, I would not recommend for someone to install the beta on their computer as it could result in other problems which could be dangerous when playing live.

Hey DJ Mikey D,
Downloading and installing the Serato DJ 1.6 Public Beta shouldn't affect your playback if you are using the Serato DJ 1.5.2 version on your computer, when dj'ing out.
You can do this by renaming the Serato DJ icon in applications to Serato DJ 1.5.2 before installing the Public Beta 1.6 version. There should be no conflict between them.

Quote:
So I am looking at buying a new Macbook Pro and this is making me extremely nervous. Is everything going to be sorted out in a month?

This seems to be a very small number of users who are facing this issue.

If anyone in this thread is experiencing issue with the Serato DJ + Pioneer DJM-900 SRT and a new Mac computer with Haswell Chipset please start your own help thread so we can investigate your issue more personally. As you can see from this thread DJFreefall's issue turned out to most likely be an issue with the mixer, however we are still waiting to hear back on that.

I'm going to close this thread for now, please feel free to start your own help thread and DJFreefall, keen to hear how you get on with this, please post back here for the users who are tracking the thread to see the outcome on this issue.

Regards
Dave W
deejdave 2:08 AM - 20 January, 2014
What if you started a help request quite a few days ago and have yet to hear anything? LOL serato.com I understand you guys are busy but this is a HUGE issue with the MOST expensive gear supported by Serato ATM.
Serato, Support
David Wood 2:16 AM - 20 January, 2014
The reason is because these issue can be all quiet different. Our support staff are very busy and we are working on getting back to everyone as soon as possible but that is a process, i'm sure your thread will be looked into soon. I've had a look at your thread and it does seem to be something different and not related to the issue presented in this thread.

Thanks for your patience.

Regards
Dave W
Serato, Support
Matt P 8:23 PM - 3 March, 2014
Hey All,

Pioneer just released this firmware the other day. Can i get you to try it out and let me know how its working for you?

pioneerdj.com

Regards

Matt P