DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Rane Sixty-Four + Serato DJ

DJ Stoyvo 2:14 AM - 24 October, 2013
Alright. I bought this thing, and to be honest, I probably can't use it until the new year, maybe 2015.

Here's some stupid shit Serato needs to get in order:
1) Cue points. I can't delete cue points 5-8 unless I use the software and mouse/trackpad.

2) Can only select loop with the loop scroller AFTER I press LOOP on the mixer. I have no idea what loop value I have until I enable it. I hope I never get a 1/16 loop when playing live.

3) SYNC button is in the WORST place. It's very close to the BANK button which I will use often enough.

4) SYNC button can't be turned off like the headphone cue... You have to use two fingers and find the SHIFT button. Not only will you enable it by accident, but also have to spend a second or two to find both buttons or make both hands available to use it.

5) REFLEX button is right about the headphone cue button. If you LEVEL knob is at 0, you'll have dead silence. Think of it as a great way to accidentally mute that channel. I'm willing to bet you'll hit the button by accident when turning off your headphone cue.

6) There's still no real way to enable a global effect such as Echo Out... BTW Where did Echo Out go?

7) SLIP + DVS. When you try to use this feature and lets say you stop the record... there's no way to jump to where the track continues to. You have to play the record and wait for it to jump to that spot in the track. That means you get the startup sound you previously stopped at before it cuts to where it should be.

8) I said forget it, i started to map my LaunchPad for some effect control and loop points... The lights on the mixer are turning off as I do it. LaunchPad has its own layer, no?

9) The stickers on the mixer's metal plates are already peeling off. It's been out of the box for 1 day?

10) Fader contour is acting up. Instead of moving the peek fading point, it just changes the location of which it cuts the sound completely. The cross fader is perfectly fine though.


I haven't even started on the Serato DJ "Features?" since I've crossed over from Scratch Live. Be prepared to wipe your Databasev2 table because it doesn't play nice with Serato DJ, the "Better Software"
djkurve 2:39 AM - 24 October, 2013
Quote:
I haven't even started on the Serato DJ "Features?" since I've crossed over from Scratch Live. Be prepared to wipe your Databasev2 table because it doesn't play nice with Serato DJ, the "Better Software"



*SIGH* This is exactly what I DIDN'T want to hear. =/ I can't even imagine of re-analyzing my entire library just because the "better software" won't play nice with it's little brother. smh...
Dj Pannel B 3:42 AM - 24 October, 2013
Well I guess I'm sticking with SL until rane cuts support and maybe even after.....
DJ_X_Trodinaire 3:53 AM - 24 October, 2013
No issues with my library between SL and SDJ using Rane 64,62 vci380,DDJSX and ddjsp1.

As for the cue points, you have two options: layer 1 (cue/loop) or layer 3 all 8 cue points.
You can delete cue points 5-8 in layer 3

I really had to read the manual to understand the Rane 64
deejdave 5:00 AM - 24 October, 2013
My library "played nice" since day one from SSL.

Aside from number 9 on your list I see all of these being issues that will be addressed eventually but some are preferences. In reference to 9 I feel the entire look of the Rane 64 is that of one of those Radio Shack electronic kits. The controls feel great & the layout is as good as it can be when having all that stuff on there. But that's just it. I don't see the need for all that stuff on there.

I prefer to have my transport controls on the players

I prefer to have all my software controlled FX on the FX controller (SP1)
I prefer to have my cue points and most other "time shifting" elements on the performance pads.

I know Rane got most of their lessons from the 68 and implemented them onto later mixers but has nothing been learned from the cue point buttons? I obtained my 62 for a ridiculously low price due to faulty cue buttons. I have seen SOOO many posts on here from people saying. "Cue point buttons.............. AGAIN"

Don't get me wrong I love my 64 and do think it is the choice for turntabilists who DO NOT want to purchase a sub controller. There is no doubt in my mind that I prefer my Pioneer 900SRT over my 64 though. BUT this comes with a price as without my SP1 I would have to choose the 64.
Dj Nyce 5:02 AM - 24 October, 2013
early adopter problems. be prepared for these issues.

my ssl library works perfectly fine with itch and sdj.
TelosHedge 5:27 AM - 24 October, 2013
i'm good on mine so far. a couple of silly problems ergonomically for me but i'm coming from a different layout (djm900) so i know it will take my hands some time to adapt.

been running some sets in my headphones to get used to things. there are things i dont love, but also some things i do. i have no quality control issues at this time. serato databases seem to be switching back and forth between SDJ and SSL no problem.

many of your complaints are probably good points, but for me a few don't apply. i never bought this mixer with the intention of using the buttons on the sides for cues and loops - for me i wouldn't want to run the risk of hitting them on accident. i prefer my cues and loops buttons to be on my right via a kontrol x1.

if you're afraid of hitting the sync button, turn sync off in setup. doesn't that render the button useless? as a bonus, you get one more free button to midi map to something else.

all of your other complaints i will try to replicate to see if they piss me off just as much. not saying that you're wrong or that my opinion matters any more than anybody else's, but dave will you tell you i'm an angry guy who likes to be mad at companies :)
deejdave 6:10 AM - 24 October, 2013
hahaha That's that L.I. fury!! Not for nothin' this guy ^^^^ knows his stuff as well!! He is the one who made me see the Rane 64 for what it is. I am a Pioneer guy through & through and my experiences with the Rane 62 left much to be desired. I ended up gettin my Rane 64 and it puts up quite a fight............... and again I am a PIO fan!! If it wasn't for the need to use Traktor & Rekordbox I would be using the Rane as my main Mixer. At this point I will keep the 64 with my TT's and keep my 900 w Pio CDJ's & Pio SP1 so i get the best of both worlds. I am truly rooting for both though. I do feel as I said & Telos said the majority of the points brought up are personal quarrels and applicable on that basis.
DJ Stoyvo 11:29 AM - 24 October, 2013
Quote:
if you're afraid of hitting the sync button, turn sync off in setup. doesn't that render the button useless? as a bonus, you get one more free button to midi map to something else.


I wanted to have BeatGrid on screen for the bar numbers, but it's only available if you have SYNC on in the setup screen. Not too sure why BeatGrid is dependent on SYNC but that's Serato logic right thurrr
TelosHedge 2:38 PM - 24 October, 2013
Quote:

I wanted to have BeatGrid on screen for the bar numbers, but it's only available if you have SYNC on in the setup screen. Not too sure why BeatGrid is dependent on SYNC but that's Serato logic right thurrr


fair enough reason! i'm not sure what you're doing with bar numbers, but i'm sure there are a few things that could be made easier having this information on all the time. maybe that's one for the SDJ feature suggestions!

i used to play on a TTM56S, and it had the crossfader/channel fader/channel reverse buttons on the top of the mixer. every once in a while i used to hit them with my hand accidentally and fuck the whole world up. i ended up taping a poland spring bottle cap over the buttons i didnt want to hit - horrible looking, but effective!
DJ Stoyvo 3:21 PM - 24 October, 2013
Not a bad idea...

The bar numbers are easy to jump half way through an 8 bar intro, etc. New track, you know it's 32bars of intro, you have 8 bars to mix on. Instead of listening for the 1 minute long intro, just jump to bar 24
TelosHedge 4:52 PM - 24 October, 2013
Quote:
The bar numbers are easy to jump half way through an 8 bar intro, etc. New track, you know it's 32bars of intro, you have 8 bars to mix on. Instead of listening for the 1 minute long intro, just jump to bar 24


great point, especially on those extended house mixes where the 1:30 intro 'looks' the same on the waveform display.

you, sir, have given me yet another thing to yearn for.

i should make mention that my loop scroller will highlight the intended loop before it plays. i dont know if this is what you were looking for or not but i could scroll in a loop before enabling it. i did manage to enable a loop once with only the loop scroll dial but i'm not sure how i did it. i always have the manual loops visible in SDJ if that makes any difference. more experimenting to do...

getting quite comfortable with SDJ, but i think i'm still going to spin the weekend ahead in SL (have an SL4 mounted and wired underneath my 64 out of total paranoia). i have experienced zero crashes or hiccups, although i did manage to have one or two very quick audio dropouts with the serato dj buffer set to 1 and the core audio buffer set to 2ms (no, they dont seem to override each other, and instead somehow seem to work together...can anybody confirm or deny this?)
deejdave 5:14 PM - 24 October, 2013
Told ya this guy knows his stuff. He's a thinker this one^^^
Chad S. 5:19 PM - 24 October, 2013
Quote:
I ended up gettin my Rane 64 and it puts up quite a fight............... and again I am a PIO fan!! If it wasn't for the need to use Traktor & Rekordbox I would be using the Rane as my main Mixer.


Did you know that we have a Traktor mapping for the Sixty-Four? and the Sixty-Two and Sixty-Eight for that matter? Send me an email, I'll get it to you. Chads@rane.com

Glad to hear you tried something different in the mixer category. Welcome :)
deejdave 5:39 PM - 24 October, 2013
Well I've always been a fan of Rane. I did know about the mapping (for the 62) and figured you would be offering one for the 64. I need the ability to use the sound card with Traktor & Rekordbox (& ANY other DJ software for that matter like I can with the SRT. I actually HATE Traktor & dislike Rekordbox but I do need to use them.
DJ Stoyvo 6:37 PM - 24 October, 2013
Quote:
i should make mention that my loop scroller will highlight the intended loop before it plays. i dont know if this is what you were looking for or not but i could scroll in a loop before enabling it.


I'm going to go with Serato DJ bug on this one then... I'll play with it more tonight and see if it's something that happens when i first start up the software
Logan D 3:30 AM - 25 October, 2013
Quote:
I'm going to go with Serato DJ bug on this one then... I'll play with it more tonight and see if it's something that happens when i first start up the software

There's no bug here that we know of. The inactive loop slot select color is dark blue and is quite difficult to see so I'm assuming you are just having trouble seeing it? You'll be happy to know in the next release of SDJ we change this and it's a lot more visible when inactive :)

Quote:
4) SYNC button can't be turned off like the headphone cue... You have to use two fingers and find the SHIFT button. Not only will you enable it by accident, but also have to spend a second or two to find both buttons or make both hands available to use it.

We hope to add a 'Sync on track load' option in a future update that will allow you to have Sync turned off when you load a song, that way you won't need to turn it off so much.

Quote:
6) There's still no real way to enable a global effect such as Echo Out... BTW Where did Echo Out go?

Combo Fade Echo achieves this. And is arguably even better. Have you enabled the Wolf Pack? If you go into the 'Online' tab in Serato DJ and log-in you can activate this FX pack for free. Combo Fade Echo is one of the FX in it.

Quote:
I haven't even started on the Serato DJ "Features?" since I've crossed over from Scratch Live. Be prepared to wipe your Databasev2 table because it doesn't play nice with Serato DJ, the "Better Software"

This, along with your cue point issue and some of the others just isn't true. The way DJ handles libraries is better, and in the future will become a lot more so.
deejdave 3:40 AM - 25 October, 2013
Specifically the database statement sure does seem way off. I have not heard of anyone having a "transmission issue" and there was probably a specific issue to be blamed not the new software itself.
TelosHedge 3:49 AM - 25 October, 2013
oh good a mod!

since we're on the radar in here i'd like to add a couple of points too on some of the OP's topics.

i'm having no problem getting the loops to do what they're supposed to do, but yes, they are quite hard to see at first in the beat-select area. however, i'm stumped on something else that's pretty important - i don't like how there's no option to make regular looping the default loop on function on the 64.

here's what i mean - in SL if i have manual loops set and locked (by the way, why cant we lock loops in SDJ?) i can enable the loop anytime i want without it jumping to the song. this is HUGE for me and also safer in my opinion, in case you happen to hit the loop enable button when you don't want to. my mapped button on the X1 allows me to do this no problem in SDJ, but i have to hold the shift key on my 64 to have this work if i use the onboard loop button - i feel there should be an option to have this be the other way around. i have also noticed that if i engage an autoloop (in sdj or sl) in a bank that i already have a saved loop in, it will overwrite the original loop. autoloops should automatically be loaded into a new, empty slot, especially if the original manual loop is locked! i feel the whole point of an auto loop is for fast access - so fast that i wont have time to switch to an empty loop space to begin with, but thats just me maybe?

another personal pet peeve of mine (and sort of in the same vein as my loop on complaint) is how SDJ handles empty cue slots - if i have a cue slot empty i dont like how i can just hit an empty cue button and set one with one touch. now i realize that a lot of people prefer this, but SL does not perform this way with my X1 and i would prefer if this didn't as well if possible.

one more thing while there's a mod here - no midi out (for lighting) in SDJ just yet?
Code:E 5:58 AM - 25 October, 2013
Quote:
I wanted to have BeatGrid on screen for the bar numbers, but it's only available if you have SYNC on in the setup screen. Not too sure why BeatGrid is dependent on SYNC but that's Serato logic right thurrr

+1 thats fucking stupid and was pissing me off too.
Code:E 6:00 AM - 25 October, 2013
Quote:
one more thing while there's a mod here - no midi out (for lighting) in SDJ just yet?

The MIDI out in SSL is kinda a bad joke. So I hope if serato decides to do something about it will Serato DJ they expand on it. Serato guy take a look at ME's midi out and copy that.
DJ Quartz 6:05 AM - 25 October, 2013
Quote:
There's no bug here that we know of. The inactive loop slot select color is dark blue and is quite difficult to see so I'm assuming you are just having trouble seeing it? You'll be happy to know in the next release of SDJ we change this and it's a lot more visible when inactive :)


This is good to know because working between SSL and SDJ. The loops set in SDJ show up blue in SSL and it's DEFINITELY hard to see them.
boabmatic 1:01 PM - 25 October, 2013
Quote:

another personal pet peeve of mine (and sort of in the same vein as my loop on complaint) is how SDJ handles empty cue slots - if i have a cue slot empty i dont like how i can just hit an empty cue button and set one with one touch. now i realize that a lot of people prefer this, but SL does not perform this way with my X1 and i would prefer if this didn't as well if possible.


There was an option in SSL that you could enable/disable Hot Cues but it doesnt look to be there on SDJ.
DJ Stoyvo 11:21 PM - 25 October, 2013
Quote:
This, along with your cue point issue and some of the others just isn't true. The way DJ handles libraries is better, and in the future will become a lot more so.

Quote:
Specifically the database statement sure does seem way off. I have not heard of anyone having a "transmission issue" and there was probably a specific issue to be blamed not the new software itself.


I'm just relaying the information RafaelM shared in the support ticket: serato.com

If the database issue isn't true, then why am i told I have to rebuild my database? #busted
deejdave 4:51 AM - 26 October, 2013
I would think taking one specific experience and assuming it applies for all would be a little extreme. My extreme reply would be.........

If the database issue IS true the why did it not affect me?

On the other hand am basing it on the fact that not everyone is having it. There may be some specific cause or some specific environment where it will happen but I can tell you from experience from me and about 175 other people that it isn't true. I can confirm other issues from this same group such as the large database (crates & sub crates as well) issue but a database issue moving from SSL to SDJ.......... I can not. Again I am NOT saying some won't have issues but I don't thing the numbers bring reason for alarm as of yet.

So what is your specific problem that you would call a database issue. (not being a jerk just curious)

Is it the colored track thing?
TelosHedge 6:15 AM - 26 October, 2013
no database problems here on 1.5.1, however i just noticed my history from tonights party didnt save quite right. it organized it into 3 days and didn't even keep 80% of the tunes i played.

also had a couple of bugs with serato video but i was dealing with a large file (700mb) on a slower computer so i'm not totally blaming serato on that one!

beyond that, had my first successful night out with my 64. aside from me goofing a few times everything went well. still not totally sold on the tone shaper for the mics thing, but time will tell. two more to go this weekend so i'll report back on that.
DJ Quartz 12:59 PM - 26 October, 2013
Quote:
If the database issue IS true the why did it not affect me?


When is the last time you rebuilt your database?
deejdave 7:11 PM - 26 October, 2013
maybe 3 years ago. Not sure 100%.
DJ Stoyvo 2:47 AM - 28 October, 2013
Played at my res spot on friday, after analyzing tracks in Serato DJ, SSL didnt know the auto-gain for the tracks that it had previously it. Serato DJ was removing all the saved information I had in SSL. It was a fucking amazing experience.
TelosHedge 5:17 AM - 28 October, 2013
Quote:
Played at my res spot on friday, after analyzing tracks in Serato DJ, SSL didnt know the auto-gain for the tracks that it had previously it. Serato DJ was removing all the saved information I had in SSL. It was a fucking amazing experience.


sounds like a blast! had a couple dropouts last night on SDJ. spun tonight on SSL instead. of course no issues. my computer is a smidge old (2.4 core2duo unibody) so i cant complain much but all in all the workflow in SDJ is just not there for me yet. too many oddities in comparison to how SL is laid out.

after a solid week of SDJ i've decided i will not be switching over, at least until the next version shows up for me to put through paces again.
djkurve 5:22 AM - 28 October, 2013
Quote:
Played at my res spot on friday, after analyzing tracks in Serato DJ


So let me get this straight, we have to re-analyze our files in Serato DJ even though we've done that in Scratch Live?

Quote:
SSL didnt know the auto-gain for the tracks that it had previously it. Serato DJ was removing all the saved information I had in SSL. It was a fucking amazing experience.


Epic fail on Serato's end!
images.sodahead.com
monchi 6:37 AM - 28 October, 2013
djkurve, still want to sell that 62? I say wait a little bit.
BTW this thing about re-analyzing our files, how is it suppose to work per say with the 68, if the 68 can be used with SSL and DJ Serato? Do you have to analyze everytime you switch back and forth?
Dj Nyce 1:54 PM - 28 October, 2013
Quote:
djkurve, still want to sell that 62? I say wait a little bit.
BTW this thing about re-analyzing our files, how is it suppose to work per say with the 68, if the 68 can be used with SSL and DJ Serato? Do you have to analyze everytime you switch back and forth?


any updates to the library engine and/or tagging will be made to sdj and probably not ssl. after january if you use both, i wouldn't switch back and forth. there are already differences between sdj and ssl (cue point labels, for instance). as sdj gets more and more updates the gap between ssl will increase.

remember when 1.9.2 came out?

when the 62 is green lit, i'm going full sdj and dropping ssl cold turkey. being that ssl won't be getting any more updates i feel its pointless to continue using it.
DJ Quartz 3:25 PM - 28 October, 2013
Quote:
when the 62 is green lit, i'm going full sdj and dropping ssl cold turkey. being that ssl won't be getting any more updates i feel its pointless to continue using it.


When I get a 62 hopefully by the time 1.6 public beta comes out I will be doing exactly this.
Musically Minded 4:00 PM - 28 October, 2013
Quote:
when the 62 is green lit, i'm going full sdj and dropping ssl cold turkey. being that ssl won't be getting any more updates i feel its pointless to continue using it.



think i am going to do the same.
DJUnknown 4:06 PM - 28 October, 2013
Quote:
when the 62 is green lit, i'm going full sdj and dropping ssl cold turkey. being that ssl won't be getting any more updates i feel its pointless to continue using it.


Definitely, the way to go once SDJ is stable for the 62, doing that myself also.
monchi 4:26 PM - 28 October, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
djkurve, still want to sell that 62? I say wait a little bit.
BTW this thing about re-analyzing our files, how is it suppose to work per say with the 68, if the 68 can be used with SSL and DJ Serato? Do you have to analyze everytime you switch back and forth?


any updates to the library engine and/or tagging will be made to sdj and probably not ssl. after january if you use both, i wouldn't switch back and forth. there are already differences between sdj and ssl (cue point labels, for instance). as sdj gets more and more updates the gap between ssl will increase.

remember when 1.9.2 came out?

when the 62 is green lit, i'm going full sdj and dropping ssl cold turkey. being that ssl won't be getting any more updates i feel its pointless to continue using it.


Well I was considering purchasing a 68, but guess not. Your last statement is on point, very Nyce, thank you.
Jensen Määäm 8:47 PM - 28 October, 2013
Quote:
djkurve, still want to sell that 62? I say wait a little bit.
BTW this thing about re-analyzing our files, how is it suppose to work per say with the 68, if the 68 can be used with SSL and DJ Serato? Do you have to analyze everytime you switch back and forth?


The 68 can't be used with SDJ!
DJ_X_Trodinaire 10:10 PM - 28 October, 2013
Quote:

The 68 can't be used with SDJ!


Not yet, but it will be February 2014

serato.com
monchi 11:08 PM - 28 October, 2013
Well I would love to be able to use the Bridge with SSL, so if there is an issue with analyzing files within DJ Serato and SSL, maybe the 68 will stay as just an SSL and Bridge combo.
I do not see the Bridge being built over at DJ Serato.
Jensen Määäm 11:26 PM - 28 October, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
The 68 can't be used with SDJ!


Not yet, but it will be February 2014

serato.com


My bad, you are right. I forgot to say: at the moment.
DJ Quartz 12:26 AM - 30 October, 2013
Quote:
Well I would love to be able to use the Bridge with SSL, so if there is an issue with analyzing files within DJ Serato and SSL, maybe the 68 will stay as just an SSL and Bridge combo.
I do not see the Bridge being built over at DJ Serato.


Being that SSL will be discontinued, most likely the Bridge plug-in will be brought over the SDJ as well.
Code:E 12:48 AM - 30 October, 2013
Quote:
Being that SSL is to be discontinued, most likely the Bridge plug-in will either be discontinued or be brought over the SDJ as well.

FIXED^^^

Serato Video was brought over, but Serato Video has a much longer user base. So it will only be brought over if enough of the users want it. Ableton is not pushing from its end so the push needs to come from our end.
DJ Yaitanis 2:43 AM - 12 July, 2014
Is anyone else having problems with SPLIT CUE with Sixty Four - Horrable or is it susposto work that way???
monchi 12:41 AM - 25 September, 2014
^ What he said.