Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Lag in scratch release

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Pioneer DJ DDJ-SX
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
DJ-AD 12:20 PM - 1 October, 2013
Does the new update address the lag in scratch mode upon releasing the platter? Yes i have tried the sensitivity and audio buffer size etc...,all the same! Many are having this problem..Hope it will be fixed soon or i will have to put an extra cdj only to scratch on...goodbye portability...

Any insight?

Thanks
Serato, Support
Matt P 5:17 PM - 3 October, 2013
Hi DJ-AD,

Can you tell me a bit more about the scratch release issue you are having? I'm unaware of it and if its an issue would like to make sure its addressed.

If you could tell me your full computer specs, when you are experiencing this issue and how i can reproduce it, i'll try and figure out whats up.

Matt P
DJ-AD 7:45 AM - 4 October, 2013
Dear Matt,

Thanks for the prompt feedback. I'm currently running Serato on Win7 Toshiba laptop, 32 bit...Core 2 duo 2.4 ghz, 2 gigs of ram. The laptop has been optimized for djing as per several tutorials on the web and according to Latency checkeor freeware, is able to handle live audio streaming. This laptop is only for djing, i don't use it for anything else. The buffer was set at 256 samples, it worked OK, i have bounced it up a bit to give it some headroom. Now its around 348 samples.
As for the problem at hand, ive found several posts claiming the same problem. (serato.com). What happens is that comparing to cdjs scratching which im accustomed to, upon release of the platter the sample resumes instantly from the scratch point which enables you to cut properly in time vs the beat on the other deck. On the SX, it fails to do so.Upon the release of the platter there is a slight pause (less than a second) before the sample resumes which is causing me problems as i have to retrain my ears and hands to compensate for the delay by pushing the track forward upon release. Actually This delay can be felt and seen on the waveform. I have the 1.07 update on the machine and tried different settings on the jog sensitivity but with no luck. Finally, me and a fellow DJ bought 2 SX, and we're both having the same issue...however he has a much more powerful PC, quad core 2.66 i7 with 8gig of RAM...which me led me to believe that it is not related to the Pc.

Thanks
DJ-AD 8:02 AM - 4 October, 2013
DJ-AD 8:02 AM - 4 October, 2013
Serato, Support
Matt P 10:36 PM - 7 October, 2013
Hi DJ-AD,

Is it possible for you to make a video of this problem?

I'm wondering, do you play songs from an external library?
what files are you finding this issue on?

Thanks for providing all the detailed information.

Are you able to compare it with an older version?
serato.com

I'm unable to reproduce the issue here yet.

Matt P
DJ-AD 6:59 AM - 8 October, 2013
Hi Matt,
p
I'll trfy and post a video tonight. Songs that im playing are saved on the pc local hard drive. Basically its any scratch sound.( wah,chek this out etc...) all mp3 320 kbps clean files...
3:58 PM, 8 Oct 2013
DJ-AD attached a file: MOV_4525.mp4
Download· Permalink
DJ-AD 4:03 PM - 8 October, 2013
Attached is the video, hope its clear...
Serato, Support
Matt P 12:30 AM - 10 October, 2013
Hi DJ-AD,

Thank you for the video, I can see what you are talking about.

What is the braking start time set to in the Setup menu under the DJ Preferences tab?

Do you have another computer to test this with? If possible i'd like to remove the computer from the scenario to isolate the issue.

Regards

Matt P
irieproductions 4:05 AM - 10 October, 2013
if you could make the video public we could tell you if other people are experiencing the same problem. i know a ton of people have reported lag when releasing the platters but thats subjective.

A 500ms delay when releasing a platter might not be a huge deal for you Matt but could be something meaningful for other users.
DJ-AD 5:32 AM - 10 October, 2013
how do i make the vid public?
@ Matt: i dnt think its the computer, like i mentioned earlier we bought 2 sx, and both are behaving z same on different laptops....i'll try it on z desktop and report back...
Jmoney$ 9:03 PM - 12 October, 2013
I thought I was having this issue I mainly saw the the delay trying to drop tracks by hand the delay (even though I was releasing at the correct time) caused the track to be dropped out of time

The cause for my problem was having the jog sensitivity turned up to high it was set fairly low any way but there was a tiny delay caused by the high sensitivity when my hand was within 5-10 mm of the jog wheel a very small distance but enough of a delay to throw things off
DJ-AD 9:37 AM - 14 October, 2013
Hello again....

tested on desktop...same result....quad core 2.66...8 gig ram...

any solution?
djcrap 1:21 PM - 14 October, 2013
i can confirm this lag in scratch on my quad core 2.7 8 gig ram

the lag is like 1 or two beats delay after release
Serato, Support
Matt P 7:10 PM - 14 October, 2013
Hi DJ-AD,

Ok, I can't believe i didn't ask you this already, but have you done a firmware update for the DDJSX?

Heres the link to the Pioneer download - pioneerdj.com

I've made this vid available to this area only. So other users in this thread can see it, and compare.

We need to isolate the reason you are having this issue and how to reproduce it or eliminate it.

Let me know how the firmware update goes.

Matt P
DJ-AD 7:13 PM - 14 October, 2013
Hi Matt,

It is on the latest firmware since day 1....i belive its on 1.07.
Serato, Support
Matt P 6:12 PM - 21 October, 2013
Hi DJ-AD,

Ok, I'm not having any luck reproducing this issue here unfortunately.

Can you run a midi signal checker - www.midiox.com

Let me know what readings you are getting from the controller..

Thanks

Matt P
DJ-AD 6:49 AM - 22 October, 2013
Hi Matt,

Unfortunately i don't have much time to do any testing at this stage...several people have chimed in on this issue confirming the lag. Maybe it is specific to some computers/chipset and not to others...who know? :) in any case if any one has the time to assist in checking the midiox thing it would be great.

Matt, could you please tell me what laptop are you using? i'm on the lookout for a new laptop, please advise on what you are using for testing....

Thanks
Serato, Support
Matt P 8:43 PM - 28 October, 2013
Hi DJ-AD,

Ok, no problem.

I'm on a Mac, and have never experienced this issue, on a variety of computers and OS.

Perhaps this is related to a certain chipset.. I have a feeling its related to the drivers or hardware. I'm unable to isolate the problem.

Thanks for posting your info, and hopefully we can figure it out.

One thing would be good to do is figure out if you have any luck with another verison of Serato DJ, that would eliminate the software completely.

Here is the archive - serato.com

Matt P
DJ-AD 8:58 PM - 28 October, 2013
it occurred on Serato 1.3 and 1.5 still havnt test the 1.5.1...will do so and revert!
irieproductions 1:00 AM - 29 October, 2013
hey DJ-AD, i dont want to get your hopes down but i had a macbook pro 2010 then i upgraded to macbook pro 2012 and i had the exact same behavior on both machines. This is not chipset related its just something going on between the DDJ-SX and Serato software.

I've tried different units, different machines, i can reproduce it in every single scenario, old firmware, latest firmware.

This was reported day 1 of pioneer ddj-sx being released to the public but the delay seems to be within normal parameters to most people around the globe.
DJ-AD 8:15 AM - 29 October, 2013
Thanks Irie for the input, i'm in the same boat and like you i can produce the lag every single time....maybe it's like you said that it seems within normal parameters to most people, but simply it's not within mine...so for scratching i'm still bringing an extra CDJ as i can't cope with this delay and i'm not willing to re-train my hands to compensate for it as i still mostly use the CDJ more often than the SX. Hopefully it will get better in future updates.
Serato, Support
Matt P 11:53 PM - 17 November, 2013
Hi DJ-AD,

This could be related to a bad midi device name or a conflict with other midi devices..

I also haven't asked what you have your USB buffer set at? can you let me know..

Matt P
DJ-AD 7:57 AM - 18 November, 2013
Hi Matt,

As stated before, USB buffer at 348 samples. If that is the cass,se as you stated, how can i solve it?

Thank
Serato, Support
Matt P 3:36 AM - 19 November, 2013
Hi DJ-AD,

What you'll want to do is go into device manager and delete the device "Pioneer DDJSX" or right click and re install the driver.

You may have done this already, but worth a try again.

Matt P
DJ-AD 9:24 AM - 19 November, 2013
Hi Matt,

No i haven't tried that, will do so tonight and revert....

Hope it works
DJ-AD 8:59 AM - 21 November, 2013
Hi Matt,

Tried the remove/re-install....same thing! I have noticed one thing though, if i put the Jog sensitivity at 11 o'clock i get a better result but still not as it should be normally...I will update the SDJ to 1.5.2 and test it tonight.

we'll get back
Serato, Support
Matt P 12:40 AM - 22 November, 2013
Hi DJ-AD,

Ok please do, keen to hear how 1.5.2 works although there wasn't any work done on that particularly. However some positive reports of compatibility with USB ports have come through :)

Matt P
8:04 AM, 6 Dec 2013
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.