Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Platters in vinyl mode lag on Release

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Vestax VCI-380
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
nikodb 9:34 AM - 2 August, 2013
Hey Guys,

Snow Leopard on a Macbook Pro 8.1, i7 2.7GHz, 8Gb RAM, 128SSD+1TB, 80+150GB Free Space

No big deal...but i did notice that both my VCI380 platters lag on release after any kind of scratching. I played with all sorts of sensitivity settings with no luck....it basically takes a significant amount of time for the track/sample to move on after its being disturbed to either any direction, or just being cut quickly on and off, by vertically pushing-removing my fingers on the platter.

May i also note that this problem is not observed neither in ITCH nor Scratch Live with the Vestax Mapping, for the same unit...so am almost certain its a Serato Dj thing...and hoping you guys either know about it already...or that i am stupid enough to have something set wrong there :)

Let me know if you can think of anything.
Cheers
Nik
nikodb 9:38 AM - 2 August, 2013
******Correction to my first paragraph******it basically takes a significant amount of time for the track/sample to move on after its being disturbed to either direction, or to immediately continue playing as expected, after rapidly removing my fingers after pressuring the platter.
Serato, Support
Karl Y 2:04 PM - 12 August, 2013
Hi nikodb

what are your buffer-size / latency settings?

Cheers

Karl Y
nikodb 2:12 PM - 12 August, 2013
Hey Karl...

I usually have it on 2ms for tighter response...However i did try to increase the buffe and check it outr...it did seem a little better on release, despite the higher latency giving on scratching...but still the release lag always existed all the way to 20ms...Its mainly when i release the platter that i have this issue....it takes time for it to recover and continue playing....the weirdest thing is that SL and ITCH give no issues like that even on minimum settings on the same computer and controller...

Cheers
Nik
Serato, Support
Karl Y 2:20 PM - 12 August, 2013
Hi Nik

does this happen even when you don't move the platter at all?
i.E. touch and release without platter motion?
nikodb 2:21 PM - 12 August, 2013
yes it does...
nikodb 2:23 PM - 12 August, 2013
..... especially when i do that...
Serato, Support
Karl Y 2:26 PM - 12 August, 2013
I tried to replicate this but i can't feel a difference between ITCH and Serato DJ

Can you record a video and upload it somewhere, please?
nikodb 2:41 PM - 12 August, 2013
Sure thing...no problem....Just let me know if you need particular settings for the video and anything else to show in specific, besides a heads up display of the problem and an SL and ITCH not giving this issue on the same unit....

Something else worthy mentioning, is that there seems to be less realease lag when i touch-release a stand still platter, closer to its center (around where the adjust is) ... As a matter of fact I wouldn't think twice to identify it as a hardware issue...but ITCH and SL works Perfect on the same unit....and just makes me scratch my head :)

Video coming, may take a while though...but Will post

Thanks for the effort Karl

Cheers
Nik
Serato, Support
Karl Y 2:47 PM - 12 August, 2013
Do you have the option the get hold of another VCI 380 somehow?
Serato, Support
Karl Y 2:48 PM - 12 August, 2013
another thing you could try is using midi monitor and see how the messages are coming in, i.e. if there is a difference depending on where you touch the platter.
nikodb 3:32 PM - 12 August, 2013
Actually there is a demo 380 on a store i know that i can get my hands on, they are on summer vacations for the week, will check it out as soon as they open...

Will see if i also do get random values on Midi Monitor....Does Midi monitor also records the timing those messages are transmitted ? That way we could see, if there is a difference on the time sent for the particular message, when touching-releasing between different parts of the platter....Even if we find an issue though...Still beats me why ITCH and SL is fine on it :)

The Good-Bad thing is that I am working from 10:00pm till 7:00 in the morning ALL this Week & Weekend, so it will take some time to check all these things out and also make the video and all, but i will sure get back to you...

Thanks for the feedback Karl...

Cheers
Nik
Serato, Support
Karl Y 3:07 PM - 13 August, 2013
Actually might be best to first try with another VCI 380, if you can, before spending much more time recording videos and all that hassle :-)

Do i understand you correct that the changes are subtle (noteable, but nothing major)
or do you see lagging behavior when releasing the platter that is inconvenient to work with?

I couldn't feel any difference compared to ITCH but that doesn't imply there is none...
Maybe i'm just too slow.
In other words how big is the lag? mili-seconds? seconds? fractions of seconds? I'm just not really sure yet what i should be looking for.

Cheers
Karl Y
nikodb 1:48 AM - 14 August, 2013
Hey Karl,

Yeah no worries...will check the demo unit and midi messaging, before anything else..

Well Its not a big deal for me because i don't really scratch much at work, its usually pretty busy for that..by mainly utilizing the rest of the unit, its working as expected, so no big deal overall.

I am not so sure about exactly how big the lag is, or how to measure it...i d say its somewhat less than a second but more than half, at least half+....definitely not talking about milliseconds and for sure you cannot drop your scratches in time, no way...it almost feels as if the platter is staying touch activated for that bit of 1/2 to 1 sec. before it recovers. I also noticed that the platter color indications are as should...it does become white immediately after removing my hand but the sound lags as described above....

I will make sure to give you a very clean thorough video after checking that demo unit. It doesn't make sense to me either....I mean...Initially i just thought my scratching was crappy, or me being sloppy with the cramped to the xfader platters etc...but all of a sudden one day i was rocking it with my SL2 and that's when i realized the whole deal...I did some direct comparisons then with ITCH and SL and the rest you know...

Actually you ll be scratching your head when you see that video :D .. the only thing i can think of that makes some kind of sense to me, is that my platters are indeed defective but only a point that only shows on the Serato Dj code,,,seems like ITCH and SL are not bothered at all.

Will sure keep you on the loop, as soon as i check that demo unit...am very curious about all this...a lot more rather than troubled :)

Cheers
Nik
Serato, Support
Karl Y 10:24 AM - 16 August, 2013
Hi Nik

have you got any results so far?

Cheers
Karl Y
nikodb 12:22 PM - 16 August, 2013
Hey Karl...

Not really...That shop with the demo unit, is closed for summer vacations until next week...I should be posting back with more info around Tuesday-Wednesday...

Thanks for the follow up though :) Will post as soon as i go and check that unit to avoid any confusion..

Cheers
Nik
nikodb 1:52 AM - 30 August, 2013
Hey Karl...sorry yet to shoot a video...have been working continusly with that unit and no other notable issues and run behind on visiting that demo 380...sorry to delay as such...have been working amost everyday since my last post...:) hopefully willco by mid next week...
Serato, Support
Karl Y 12:28 PM - 30 August, 2013
Hi Nik,

no worries.
It's totally up to you if and when you shoot a video.
That being said i appreciate the effort you take to narrow this issue down. :-)

Cheers
nikodb 7:33 PM - 7 September, 2013
I sold that unit Karl...but before that , i actually did manage to go and demo a ddjSX as they had no 380 no more......the SX did behaved similarly on very high sensitivity settings...but problem did not persist on less sensitive settings....my vci did it iregardless of the sensitivity settings....it would just start doing it on platter suddenly from a very low setting, unlike the sx that was gradually getting you to that point....

Anyway...its history now...sorry Karl...i grabbed a lucky chance out of nowhere and sold it instead...

Cheers and thanks for the attention...
Nik