DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Serato "DJ" edition and Ableton Live

dj iSOH 2:43 PM - 5 September, 2013
Looking at this article: serato.com

It shows the new edition of Serato DJ does NOT support The Bridge with Ableton Live.. Will this feature be added in future editions are is serato not supporting it anymore? Please advise as I just spent a chunk of change on Ableton live.. Check my recent posts.. you can tell im new to Ableton and just bought it..
Code:E 6:35 PM - 5 September, 2013
they say they have long term plans for the bridge, but i would expect anything until 2015 when they stop supporting SSL.
stevie o 10:15 PM - 5 September, 2013
Yes that's what San from serato told me. Hope it holds up. But what about mix tape?
SiRocket 11:01 PM - 5 September, 2013
losing mixtape would be a huge loss...
Dj Nyce 9:56 AM - 6 September, 2013
bought to be a long year and a half
Dj Nyce 9:57 AM - 6 September, 2013
that's what i get for staying up til 5am
djgrits7 3:19 AM - 8 September, 2013
so when will we hear an official word from serato if the bridge is going to be discontiued with serato etc? i.e. the mixtape?
dj iSOH 3:38 PM - 8 September, 2013
Yeah the 2 programs (Serato and Ableton) are great together.. I just hope they decide to update the plugin to support it or apply some kind of patch. It is a long way till 2015 but damn it sucks to have spent money on hardware and software that works with serato now then be told they no longer support it.. :(
djgrits7 4:52 AM - 9 September, 2013
so is there any way to sync up ableton with one laptop with serato and ableton on it... let's say you get the 64, is there any way to still use ableton and serato together?
SiRocket 8:09 AM - 11 September, 2013
Quote:
Yeah the 2 programs (Serato and Ableton) are great together.. I just hope they decide to update the plugin to support it or apply some kind of patch. It is a long way till 2015 but damn it sucks to have spent money on hardware and software that works with serato now then be told they no longer support it.. :(

this... :)
DJ Remy USA 3:12 PM - 11 September, 2013
Quote:
losing mixtape would be a huge loss...

Its never worked for me my fader automation is always off when I do fast cuts or craps it never records the clicks right. Been that way for a while I never complained about it I just abandoned it
DJ Remy USA 3:16 PM - 11 September, 2013
Quote:
so is there any way to sync up ableton with one laptop with serato and ableton on it... let's say you get the 64, is there any way to still use ableton and serato together?

If there is midi out with Serato DJ which I am assuming there is then you can sync ableton to Serato DJs midi out as a temporary solution.
SiRocket 5:56 PM - 11 September, 2013
it was intermittent for me... i do plenty of flares, 2 clicks, crabs, etc... If you knew how to re-align everything correct (do a few practice chirps in the beginning) you could move the CF to the left, so that it was correct.

One extra step like that to have the post eq/multitrack capabilities is huge....
DJ Remy USA 11:06 AM - 12 September, 2013
Quote:
it was intermittent for me... i do plenty of flares, 2 clicks, crabs, etc... If you knew how to re-align everything correct (do a few practice chirps in the beginning) you could move the CF to the left, so that it was correct.

One extra step like that to have the post eq/multitrack capabilities is huge....

Really? That would seem like alot of work moving each automation piece just for a scratch. I'd rather just do the scratch and be done with it. I remember how pissed I was the day I recorded a solid mix and all the scratches came out with the timing off.
SiRocket 10:32 PM - 12 September, 2013
i would just highlight *all* of the crossfader movement and slide it to the left as needed, took 4-5 minutes of my time if needed.

This is with the 57... all of the cuts were recorded, they were just offset ahead or behind of the audio.

Not sure on the 61 or 62 as i have had stuff not recorded on the 61 and 62... but the 57 i have only had the above issue. :)
DJ Remy USA 12:53 PM - 14 September, 2013
Ive pretty much abandoned the bridge I know its dope but I just want to be able to cue and mix. The fact everything has to be pre-gridded and the fact that the fader automation is off eventhough I can back and re-adjust feels to much like faking the essence of live DJ.

Im not against it tho I guess maybe when I feel like mixing records is boring I will jump on something like the bridge or serato DJ again.
JimmyGLA 12:56 AM - 22 October, 2013
Hey.... I just recently bought (the rather expensive) Ns7 II. After quite a long wait on Numark's new "Flagship" controller, today I was very disappointed to learn that this hardware will not work with the bridge in Ableton....in Serato DJ ????? I bought this specifically for that function, so before I return it and go back to using traktor, I thought I would see if there is any way with any software version of serato that can combine the Ns7 II with ableton. ???? Can I run the ns7 II on serato scratch live? Thanks!
Code:E 1:31 AM - 22 October, 2013
Quote:
Hey.... I just recently bought (the rather expensive) Ns7 II. After quite a long wait on Numark's new "Flagship" controller, today I was very disappointed to learn that this hardware will not work with the bridge in Ableton....in Serato DJ ?????

Sounds like you didn't do your research before you bought.

Quote:
I bought this specifically for that function, so before I return it and go back to using traktor, I thought I would see if there is any way with any software version of serato that can combine the Ns7 II with ableton.

What do you want to use the bridge for? Mixtape. No, as a glorified sample bank yes.
JimmyGLA 6:57 AM - 22 October, 2013
I want to do live remixes using stems in live, against live instruments and be able to sync Serato with beats and tracks between live instruments... So yeah I did plenty of homework. Problem is this is the only thing that comes close. I can beat match it manually as Ive tried in traktor... But its a pain in the ass and traktor seemed to slip out of time. Im running about 8 separate tracks in ableton, so its gotta be really tight. The idea of the bridge intrigued me cause it seemed to sync so effortlessly. The Ns7 ii intrigued me cause its built like a tank with MPC pads, 4 channels and I really didnt feel like dropping 3 grand on a frickin cd player. Just didnt realize serato didnt carry over such a great idea onto their new software WTF??? I had to wait long enough for Numark to get their act together with the late release, now I gotta wait around for serato to update software that was made how long ago???
Dj Nyce 5:09 PM - 22 October, 2013
Quote:
I want to do live remixes using stems in live, against live instruments and be able to sync Serato with beats and tracks between live instruments... So yeah I did plenty of homework. Problem is this is the only thing that comes close. I can beat match it manually as Ive tried in traktor... But its a pain in the ass and traktor seemed to slip out of time. Im running about 8 separate tracks in ableton, so its gotta be really tight. The idea of the bridge intrigued me cause it seemed to sync so effortlessly. The Ns7 ii intrigued me cause its built like a tank with MPC pads, 4 channels and I really didnt feel like dropping 3 grand on a frickin cd player. Just didnt realize serato didnt carry over such a great idea onto their new software WTF??? I had to wait long enough for Numark to get their act together with the late release, now I gotta wait around for serato to update software that was made how long ago???

Dude if you did your homework you would have known that the bridge is over and does not work with sdj.

If you want to use the bridge you need ssl and one of its supported hardware, preferably one of the mixers.

Traktor's remix decks are better than the bridge anyways...
Code:E 6:50 PM - 22 October, 2013
Quote:
The idea of the bridge intrigued me cause it seemed to sync so effortlessly.

Too bad the sync works worth shit..... Even if Serato DJ had Bridge support. It would not do what you want.
Quote:
now I gotta wait around for serato to update software that was made how long ago???

They will have to re build the bridge from scratch and it was never really used by that many people so If they ever do add it expect at least a 1-2 year wait from now.
Code:E 6:50 PM - 22 October, 2013
Quote:
Dude if you did your homework you would have known that the bridge is over and does not work with sdj.

+1
DJ Remy USA 10:46 PM - 22 October, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

The bridge is over the bridge is over...lol
DJ Stoyvo 2:50 AM - 25 October, 2013
I just want the beatgrid without enabling SYNC. Why are they hiding such a good feature :(
stevie o 2:57 AM - 25 October, 2013
Quote:
I just want the beatgrid without enabling SYNC. Why are they hiding such a good feature :(

Can you explain what that means?
Trinicapone 2:07 AM - 30 October, 2013
There's always using the sp6 like f1
DJdRoc24 9:51 AM - 7 November, 2013
Please try to answer me, why? Why? Is SSL being discontinued? Are you guys not happy with it? I was really lookin forward to buying it, and will SDJ at least be compatible with Ableton Live 9 AND be a 64 bit application? Cause being a guy who tried Bridge, I loved it, Ill miss it, hope something comes up at least when im like...30 :/
Trinicapone 12:30 PM - 7 November, 2013
Quote:
Please try to answer me, why? Why? Is SSL being discontinued? Are you guys not happy with it? I was really lookin forward to buying it, and will SDJ at least be compatible with Ableton Live 9 AND be a 64 bit application? Cause being a guy who tried Bridge, I loved it, Ill miss it, hope something comes up at least when im like...30 :/

You don't have to use SDJ SSL will still function. Don't worry you have enough time to grow with it
Code:E 5:54 PM - 7 November, 2013
Quote:
Why? Is SSL being discontinued?

Because it is a very old program and you can only update a program so many times before a rewrite is needed.

Quote:
will SDJ at least be compatible with Ableton Live 9 AND be a 64 bit application?

Scratch Live is Ableton 9 Compatible. So you can use that if you need it. You can also check the feature requests section there are many threads started asking for the bridge to come to Serato DJ.

As for 64bit. Don't expect that to come anytime soon (like 5 years away plus). There is no reason you can't have both versions of ableton installed on your computer. I do.
andwe-e-e-e 6:49 PM - 27 July, 2014
Quote:

^ This ^ is what I just did.
From what I can tell, SL doesn't work with the Rane 64... so...
yeah.
2.4k dropped and no way to make mixtapes the way I used to make them w/ the bridge.
Feelsbadman.
djgrits7 10:16 PM - 3 August, 2014
i thought senator dj or scratch live was supposed to work well with maschine and rand 64 syncing up?
dj iSOH 7:49 PM - 2 September, 2014
I think we all get our answer after a year later! It looks like serato will support the bridge feature in a future release next year.

Check out the 43:30 mark in the video where a user asks serato about the bridge.

Watchvimeo.com
PoSiTiVeFloW 1:59 PM - 3 September, 2014
Woot Woot, they better... it's ridiculous to think we'd have buy an overpriced sound card known as the Rane Box from Serato (used for old timecode turntables) when our PC, our pro Audio recording devices, and our Serato enabled controllers like DDJ SX... All have superior audio hardware that can do the job Bridge or any virtual audio link would need between Ableton and Sera to DJ.
So Fresh 10:06 PM - 30 September, 2014
i'm really shocked that serato will not give a simple yes or no to this issue.

come on guys, MAN UP!!!
SiRocket 12:54 AM - 2 October, 2014
^ - I guess i'm not the only one that gets annoyed with the current situation ;)
DJ Compiler 1:58 AM - 20 October, 2014
In the DJ City Q+A they said they would be introducing a revamped bridge in 2015
Trinicapone 11:44 PM - 20 October, 2014
Quote:
In the DJ City Q+A they said they would be introducing a revamped bridge in 2015

Yup!
jrj07c 3:13 PM - 5 November, 2014
Please add the bridge to serato dj!!!
22positions 5:19 AM - 9 December, 2014
According to Jubt Avery at Serato, the bridge (in one form or another) will be available for Serato DJ in 2015. If only I could post a picture of the email response I received. Even if it's basic in functioning it will be a huge step forward in my eyes.

Serato DJ 1.7.2 was recently rolled out. One issue i've noticed is that the "Smart Sync" in quantized mode still seems to drop out of quantized mode....then again, maybe it's just me.
ChirpFlareClickBoom 9:40 PM - 31 January, 2015
It's 2015. And NAMM just ended. I want the bridge. Pleasssseeeeeee
Jayrome 5:36 PM - 27 February, 2015
Not really bothered about it working with just Ableton as it's overrated DAW IMO.

The way forward is to have Serato able to receive midi clock and sync not matter what your using.

This will give everyone the option of not being limited.
Code:E 6:40 PM - 27 February, 2015
sounds like a bigwig/logic user ^^
Jayrome 7:50 PM - 27 February, 2015
Quote:

Cubase, Logic, Ableton, Synfire Pro, FL Studio, Protools, Studio 1 and Reason to name a few.

I'm not just limited to one DAW like many and Ableton isn't a priority to me like many others.

I'm sure the guys who might implement something like this will be looking for a more broader audience at a higher scale not just Ableton users so all things should be considered

Think outside the box!
;)
Code:E 7:56 PM - 27 February, 2015
You're just a dreamer. You should know better than anyone if you are proficient in all of those software's that MIDI timecode SUCKS, It's not where near accurate enough to use use live.
Jayrome 8:10 PM - 27 February, 2015
What is good for you might not be good for others my friend!

Reason invented the Rewire.
Steingburg invented the VST.
Apple "Logic" invented the AU.

This is why you can use all of them in Ableton!

In the past this was somebody's dream and the reason why I've posted on this subject my friend.

Take care :D

Take it easy!
Trinicapone 1:46 AM - 28 February, 2015
Quote:

For real!
Jayrome 7:42 PM - 28 February, 2015
Sorry for hurting anyone's feelings ^^
Gio Alex 8:34 PM - 9 April, 2015
The last 5-6 comments though LMAO.

Especially this one:
Quote:
Ableton isn't a priority to me like many others.

Priority? LOL
Dj Spider Toronto 3:37 AM - 13 April, 2015
Have anyone know if they are going to add The Bridge or something similar to Serato Dj soon or not or we are just waiting here for nothing ????
Gio Alex 3:32 PM - 13 April, 2015
Quote:
or we are just waiting here for nothing

Probably that.
Code:E 7:33 PM - 13 April, 2015
Don't hold your breath. Serato has said something bridge like is coming..... But they said that about Video SL updates and it took 2 years. So don't expect something within a week or 2 or even a month or 2. Wait until big trade shows come around, they tend to announce things around the start of big shows when they can generate the most hype.
Mighty Dragon Sounds 9:34 AM - 16 May, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
or we are just waiting here for nothing

Probably that.

Yep!
ninjagaijin 4:52 AM - 14 June, 2015
Quote:
Don't hold your breath. Serato has said something bridge like is coming..... But they said that about Video SL updates and it took 2 years. So don't expect something within a week or 2 or even a month or 2. Wait until big trade shows come around, they tend to announce things around the start of big shows when they can generate the most hype.

more like they can't afford paying off Ableton's coke and hooker fee
bcatdclub 1:41 PM - 17 November, 2015
Jeopardy song
SiRocket 2:09 AM - 19 November, 2015
Since serato isn't listening... Add your thoughts, complaints, bugs, vents, etc here -> www.fixseratodj.com
DJ Mark Manzo 9:13 PM - 16 March, 2016
it 2016…where is this bridge!!!! really kinda sucks that you got rid of ssl and now we all have DJ and no bridge!!!!!! BOOOOOO Serato BOOOOOOO
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:17 PM - 16 March, 2016
Quote:
it 2016…where is this bridge!!!! really kinda sucks that you got rid of ssl and now we all have DJ and no bridge!!!!!! BOOOOOO Serato BOOOOOOO

The bridge is ova the bridge is ova
DJ TooHypE 9:24 PM - 16 March, 2016
Quote:

+1 That is the reason why I purchased Traktor atleast they support my Pioneer CDJ-400's and they continue too support Legacy Devices unlike SDJ!! =/

Oh and Traktor Pro is 64Bit too.... not like SDJ 32Bit nonsense. I am pretty sure others are venturing too other DVS because of lack of support Serato doing. BTW I still use SSL and will continue too use it because of the learning curve on Traktor. But that is all I can say about Serato =P or my beloved Scratch Live <3
DJ Shade Chylde 6:40 AM - 24 March, 2016
BOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
I am coming back to Serato and upgrading from the DDJ-SX to the SX-2 after being completely dissatisfied with Traktor Pro and the Kontrol S4. I heard there were several updates while I was away, and a super recent one.
Lo and behold, the ONE thing I was hoping for, and that it seems people have raved about for over 3 years, is not here.
I have a brand new Launchpad Pro, and have been DYING to use it with my decks for a few months now. Why do you keep adding these inconsequential features that everyone pretty much unanimously agrees are worthless, yet ignore something as prevalent and in demand as "The Bridge" for SDJ?
This just makes zero sense. Even crap-a**ed Traktor can synch with ALS...
Tighten Up Serato. You're continuously dropping the ball here.
SeriousCyrus 12:19 PM - 24 March, 2016
It's not much use to you but some of the rane mixers have a midi clock which you can use to synch midi compatible software like ableton to what you're playing.
dasrecord 1:13 AM - 26 June, 2016
2016...no bride....losing faith..
dasrecord 1:13 AM - 26 June, 2016
2016...no bridge....losing faith..
Dj Spider Toronto 9:31 PM - 3 July, 2016
Quote:
2016...no bridge....losing faith..

Same on this side losing hope
dj iSOH 2:18 AM - 18 August, 2016
hope lost
Dj Nyce 2:09 AM - 4 September, 2016
lol. ya'll didn't get the message? KRS told ya'll back in 87.
ninjagaijin 6:20 PM - 9 September, 2016
Quote:

xD
jprime 6:29 PM - 9 September, 2016
Quote:

Yeah but that's just like...his philosophy man
DJ TooHypE 6:34 PM - 9 September, 2016
#ScratchLive #ScratchLivesMatters #SDJTheBridge plz
daviroque 3:00 AM - 6 January, 2017
Link works, you know?
Der Freezy 4:00 PM - 3 October, 2018
Almost the end of 2018 and still no information about The Bridge & Live...
Mutis Mayfield 4:32 PM - 3 October, 2018
Quote:
Almost the end of 2018 and still no information about The Bridge & Live...

What? It’s old news they stated no more partnership or bridge development, instead of they said “features revamped into” like Flip, Link and so...

In fact dj808 has most of the performsnce features being mixtape the true lost but it’s also highly discussed (includding workarounds) how to set something similar (when not even more powerful) with actual software but mess seems unworthy.

So what do you need exactly? The bridge like it was? Any specific feature?
Der Freezy 4:44 PM - 3 October, 2018
Oh, didnt find that Info!

Just wanted to Record my mix Channels separately.
I'll check out if it works with link

Thanks!
Mutis Mayfield 4:55 PM - 3 October, 2018
Link will help you for syncing but not so great like mixtape... as I said even being uncompleted from my POV, it had some great points.

The other drawback comes with routing so you will need 2 audio interfaces or some (ethic) hacking with aggregated device messing. I think there was a thread with tutorial about that somewhere... but my advice is ever the same: go for scratch track vst plugin. It’s the best app in the world but will give you want you need for mixtaping and even more (scratch recording and so). If you need the Serato app then go the 2 computer route and forget about Ableton.

It could be possible and not so difficult for Serato but they doesn’t seem interested in such mixtape recorde anymore. Probably Traktor will return to something like this ince they had a similar recorder back in the day...

Shame I know but this seems a forgotten niche in EDM era..,
Mutis Mayfield 4:58 PM - 3 October, 2018
Also Rekordbox has something in the line Flip/scratch Preset but maybe more dissapointing than hopeful...

youtu.be
Mutis Mayfield 5:02 PM - 3 October, 2018
Sorry I thought it was for RB but seems for Serato... so maybe someday that technology which it’s the same I pointed over more than a decade (ttm recorder) will be open for any user and recorded inside Flip. Anyways they could make that info an xml (through Ableton export) and let anyone edit it inside Ableton but don’t hold your breath... probably they will go the “scratch preset pack store for 1’99$“

lol