DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

EV ZLX-12P

djkurve 6:58 AM - 28 August, 2013
So just picked up a pair of these bad boys and now I am trying to figure out which subwoofer to get. It's between these two.

www.zzounds.com

or

www.zzounds.com
dj_soo 7:58 AM - 28 August, 2013
Do you have an amp already?
djkurve 2:35 PM - 28 August, 2013
Quote:
Do you have an amp already?

I do.
Joee 4:26 PM - 28 August, 2013
^^ sell it and get the the elx118p
Joee 4:28 PM - 28 August, 2013
to fast to post, does the amp have a crossover? if not than you need to get one make life easier get the active sub also
djkurve 5:13 PM - 29 August, 2013
So I'm gonna go with this one!

www.zzounds.com
Joee 5:21 PM - 29 August, 2013
good choice make you life easier, instead of powered tops and passive bottoms
JDforKing 6:47 PM - 29 August, 2013
definitely can find it cheaper on ebay
djkurve 9:20 PM - 29 August, 2013
Quote:
definitely can find it cheaper on ebay

Used, not new.
Joee 9:21 PM - 29 August, 2013
you can find it cheaper NEW!
djkurve 9:21 PM - 29 August, 2013
Quote:
you can find it cheaper NEW!

WHERE???
Joee 9:28 PM - 29 August, 2013
proaudiostar, you have to haggle
djkurve 3:14 AM - 21 September, 2013
The tower of POWER!

i49.photobucket.com
Joee 1:30 PM - 21 September, 2013
Quote:
The tower of POWER!

i49.photobucket.com

i don't know about the "tower of power".........lol

how are you liking it, are you satisfied with the sound/bass/output, i think that setup there is really good sound considering what it cost
djkurve 3:41 PM - 21 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
The tower of POWER!

i49.photobucket.com

how are you liking it, are you satisfied with the sound/bass/output, i think that setup there is really good sound considering what it cost

I love it. Built in DSP FTW! Gonna break it in tonight. You can't beat this setup for the price.
Joee 5:02 PM - 21 September, 2013
^ FYI get a cover for the sub cause it chips/scratches/dents very easy
djkurve 8:59 PM - 21 September, 2013
Quote:
^ FYI get a cover for the sub cause it chips/scratches/dents very easy

Got them on order. :) Temporarily transporting them in the original boxes.
Joee 1:42 PM - 25 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The tower of POWER!

i49.photobucket.com

I love it. Built in DSP FTW! Gonna break it in tonight. You can't beat this setup for the price.

so what your verdict on the "tower of power" ?
djkurve 3:43 PM - 25 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The tower of POWER!

i49.photobucket.com

It's pretty awesome, but I'm def adding the 15's to this lineup!
so what your verdict on the "tower of power" ?
Joee 3:51 PM - 25 September, 2013
quote fail......lol

i think the two 12's and one 18 for a small set & two 15's with two 18's for a big setup, you will be more than happy

but i still think the ellx tops are a better sounding box
djkurve 4:05 PM - 25 September, 2013
Yeah the two top 12's and 18" sub work for the couple bars I DJ at. However whenever I do proms/school dances, I'll probably bump it up to the 15's and two 18" subs.
MiguelL 5:18 PM - 25 September, 2013
why not do the 12's and two 18's for subs for the proms/school dances...

i have the ELX112p (2) + ELX118p (2) and its a very good system... probably louder and better sounding then ZLX115p.
djkurve 6:32 PM - 25 September, 2013
Quote:
why not do the 12's and two 18's for subs for the proms/school dances...

i have the ELX112p (2) + ELX118p (2) and its a very good system... probably louder and better sounding then ZLX115p.

15 inch woofer > 12 inch woofer

:)
Certified Quality Entertainment 8:38 PM - 25 September, 2013
Size wise yes, but not always when it comes to sound if you are using subs.
Joee 7:57 PM - 26 September, 2013
[IMG]imageshack.us[/IMG]

[IMG]imageshack.us[/IMG]

got one zlx12p, i have too say my first impression of the speaker was different than now, i think the guy in the ev booth at the dj expo did not know what he was doing, cause it sound way different at home

first off it has some nice bass for a 12 inch when you put it in club setting & boost the bass +2, the highs are smooth as expected with ev & i did not get the early clipping that some were talking about

when i heard it at the expo the zxa1 sounded better, not so this speaker is a step above the zxa1(zx1 only the zx3 & zx5 crush this speaker)

as far as spl it get pretty loud more so when you cross it over and play highs only, for less than $400 do not think twice buy this speaker you will be happy, it can't be beat buy anything at it's price point!!!

the speaker is joee approved!!!!! ;)
Asu 9:16 PM - 26 September, 2013
Another happy customer :-) they stay clean boy
JDforKing 12:38 AM - 27 September, 2013
Quote:
[IMG]imageshack.us[/IMG]

[IMG]imageshack.us[/IMG]

got one zlx12p, i have too say my first impression of the speaker was different than now, i think the guy in the ev booth at the dj expo did not know what he was doing, cause it sound way different at home

first off it has some nice bass for a 12 inch when you put it in club setting & boost the bass +2, the highs are smooth as expected with ev & i did not get the early clipping that some were talking about

when i heard it at the expo the zxa1 sounded better, not so this speaker is a step above the zxa1(zx1 only the zx3 & zx5 crush this speaker)

as far as spl it get pretty loud more so when you cross it over and play highs only, for less than $400 do not think twice buy this speaker you will be happy, it can't be beat buy anything at it's price point!!!

the speaker is joee approved!!!!! ;)

Now joee, how would you compare this to the elx112p?
Joee 12:46 AM - 27 September, 2013
^ i think the elx sounds better, i think it the wood vs plastic box, for me the wood box sounds better.........but there not that far off id say very close sound wise

i think both box's have the same components with the exception of the zlx having lcd screen/dsp
JDforKing 1:01 AM - 27 September, 2013
Quote:
^ i think the elx sounds better, i think it the wood vs plastic box, for me the wood box sounds better.........but there not that far off id say very close sound wise

i think both box's have the same components with the exception of the zlx having lcd screen/dsp

Yeah i figured thats what you would say. So they probably sound the same when crossed over and used with a sub. I bought a pair of zlx12p for $576. Great speaker for the price.
djkurve 1:18 AM - 27 September, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah i figured thats what you would say. So they probably sound the same when crossed over and used with a sub. I bought a pair of zlx12p for $576. Great speaker for the price.

Now that was a DEAL!
djkurve 3:42 AM - 14 October, 2013
Oh forgot to mention I pulled the trigger on a EV ELXP118 last month as well. Thing bumps!
Discobee 7:29 PM - 25 December, 2013
I scored a like new ZLX15P on my local CL for $325 :) using it as a monitor for now....as I have all ELX series as the main rig.
Rich Ricardo 2:56 AM - 28 February, 2017
perhaps someone could shed some light on this. Just picked up a set of ev-zlx12p and plugged them in noticing the sound wasn't quite as loud at I wanted it to be. Would I adjust the main master volume knob that is currently at 0db or the individual channel gain I plugged into? I am wanting to know what volume to set the speakers at when controlling from mixer.
Thanks, not the best sound guy lol. Just drummer.
DeeJay*CASPER 3:23 AM - 28 February, 2017
I love my EV set......

2 ETX-18SP
2 ELX-115P
1 ZLX-12P monitor or stand-alone speaker for smaller gigs
Mr.Jace 5:45 PM - 28 February, 2017
Quote:
perhaps someone could shed some light on this. Just picked up a set of ev-zlx12p and plugged them in noticing the sound wasn't quite as loud at I wanted it to be. Would I adjust the main master volume knob that is currently at 0db or the individual channel gain I plugged into? I am wanting to know what volume to set the speakers at when controlling from mixer.

You need to learn about gain structuring. Never go over 0db(unity). Try this.

First : Set all faders on mixer down,channels and master off.

2nd: On Ev zlx12p, set master volume @0db and the channel which you have mixer plugged in at, turn it to 0db (12 o'clock) position. Ev speaker is in unity.

3rd: On zlx12p, go into the dsp screen, make sure the settings are flat, mode set on music, bass and treble set on 0, make sure its on pole setting and crossover set to full range or off.

4th: On mixer, set master volume to 0db. Now use your channel faders as a volume control for what ever sources to have plugged it. Raise faders slowly to desire volume setting. You should get the most out of your ev zlx12p.
Just1Fixxx 5:54 PM - 28 February, 2017
Quote:

I always ran mine at the 12 O'clock position.

I bought a pair of ZLX-12P's when they first came out, and ran them intermittently for a couple of years.

I sold mine last summer, and honestly, I wish I would have kept them. They were not the loudest speakers, but they sounded pretty good to my ears, lightweight, and I loved the handle placement and design... probably my favorite handle setup ever.

The DSP is just made them super versatile for various tasks. Just a good overall utility speaker to have in your toolbox (especially for the price). I still think they offer a lot of bang for the buck today.
Danska 3:37 PM - 3 November, 2017
Ok, I made this account just to tell you about these speakers.

I really needed speakers on budget, so ZLX caught my eye. I'm not an audiophile, but I've been a musician all my life and I know what good sound is.

Before I bought these speakers I checked everything on the web. Every forum, every detail about them, all the bad things and the good things.

I made a decision and I bought them, all I can say now is that I'm very very very very satisfied.

Made in China, they taste sweeter than 18 year old girls ass.

If you have the money go and buy them, you will not regret it.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 5:06 PM - 3 November, 2017
Quote:

Huh? What?
Mr.Dj-Jace 8:43 PM - 3 November, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Dude? We don't need to hear about you giving 18 year old girls,"blow backs".