DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

What's Your all time worst song played?

djrocket 7:33 PM - 10 February, 2006
I thought I try this. I hear a lot of people complain about the Laffy Taffy, but it’s being played and quite often. Ok so mine is the redneck theme “Cotton Eyed Joe” just the title gets under my skin. When I was in my teens, church would throw dances for the youth. In everyone of these dances this song would come on & be requested not just once. Well about three years ago I started doing mainly weddings. With this “new market” came more and more requests for this crap. I got played it, I still hate it, but now I just say "Sorry, I don’t have it".
DJ_X_Trodinaire 7:57 PM - 10 February, 2006
to me its more of requesting the wrong kind of song during your set

IE Hip hop set request: rock guns n roses
House Music request: rock how bout some nine inch nails?
anewsome 8:18 PM - 10 February, 2006
I was spinning a hip-hop gig and this girl wanted some Kenny Loggins. I was like,.. wtf? She said ok then, how about some "Loggins & Messina". I was like,.. uhhh, isn't that the same thing? Either way the answer is still no. Even harder to believe is that I ad some Kenny Loggins.
djgrandpa 8:24 PM - 10 February, 2006
"STROKIN" Played it once, then converted the wax into an ashtray.
Peace
Grandpa
DJ burnE 8:37 PM - 10 February, 2006
At the Pacha:
- A Girl came up and asked for "Bro'Sis" (German Casting Band)
- No
- Why?
- 'cause it's crap
- OK...
10 Min. later the lightjockey came up and asked me, what those girls from Bro'Sis wanted. Upps, she was one of them.
Couldn't have given a better answer if I knew it ;-)
anewsome 11:52 PM - 10 February, 2006
Laffy Taffy
mister iLL 11:58 PM - 10 February, 2006
if i never hear "hey ya" again it would suit me just fine. liked the song when it first came out. after the one hundred millionth time i heard it or had somebody request it, i put it away. forever.
Thundercat 12:35 AM - 11 February, 2006
Mary Had A Little Boy...And anything by Ace Of Base. OK Armands remix of Lucky Love was tight.
concorde_pilot 5:10 AM - 11 February, 2006
Quote:
At the Pacha:
- No
- Why?
- 'cause it's crap
- OK...
10 Min. later the lightjockey came up and asked me, what those girls from Bro'Sis wanted. Upps, she was one of them.

:D :D :D :D
Easy Money 7:23 AM - 11 February, 2006
Grease mega mix.....I hate old people dancin.
DJ Evil One 10:41 AM - 11 February, 2006
LOL @ anewsome...you should have played "highway to the danger zone"

that shit always works in the club.
djHSL 2:34 PM - 11 February, 2006
Mambo Number 5.

I hated that song so badly that if I visited another club, I'd tip the DJ $50 just to make sure it didn't hit his decks the entire night.
DJ Silk 5:35 PM - 13 February, 2006
THE ELECTRIC F@CKIN SLIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry...I've been wanting to get that out for about 8 years now.
Oh..you can add the Cha Cha Slide, and any and every line dance track that came out..and all future line dance tracks.

UUUUUUHHHHHHHGGGGGGg!!!!!! People...you can line dance to any song you want to. The electric slide doesn't unlock your line dancing abilities. LOL

Rocket...thanks for this discussion.
anewsome 6:33 PM - 13 February, 2006
I hate the electric slide, .. except when they are doing it to "Maze - Before I Let Go". Somehow that makes it OK. I might even join in.
djrocket 7:27 PM - 13 February, 2006
No prob Silk, I feel the same about the CEJ... it's been a long time coming!
DJBlisk 1:40 AM - 14 February, 2006
will smith - "miami" I broke that record in half in front of this sorority girl who kept asking for it.
specie 4:12 PM - 14 February, 2006
my boy dropped red red wine in transition. not the worst song ever, but timing damn! friend started yelling (drunk) at my boy "yo! what the f!$k are you doing? this song sucks!"

hillarious.
djBO 6:40 PM - 14 February, 2006
This has got be right up there in terms of idiotic people in a crowd. Here's what happened to me:

I'm from Montreal, Canada. And we get laughed at alot in Canada because our CROWDS aren't always up to date (that doesn't mean the dj's don't know what's new and hot). Either way, it was early in the night at the club and I was playing some mellow rnb ex. old Mary J Blige, old Jagged Edge, old Trina Broussard, etc.

So anyways, this girl comes up to me and says, "Can you play some American music?" And I'm like, "what do you mean American music???!!!!" She goes, "Well i'm from the States and i don't know any of these songs that you're playing. They must be Canadian artists so can you play some Jay Z or some Nelly?"

I turned around and ignored that kid the rest of the night.
lesterdiamond 6:53 PM - 14 February, 2006
Quote:
This has got be right up there in terms of idiotic people in a crowd. Here's what happened to me:

I'm from Montreal, Canada. And we get laughed at alot in Canada because our CROWDS aren't always up to date (that doesn't mean the dj's don't know what's new and hot). Either way, it was early in the night at the club and I was playing some mellow rnb ex. old Mary J Blige, old Jagged Edge, old Trina Broussard, etc.

So anyways, this girl comes up to me and says, "Can you play some American music?" And I'm like, "what do you mean American music???!!!!" She goes, "Well i'm from the States and i don't know any of these songs that you're playing. They must be Canadian artists so can you play some Jay Z or some Nelly?"

I turned around and ignored that kid the rest of the night.

i went to a huge party in montreal new years 04 05 @ the bell center and by the end of the night the gino looking french canadiens running around shirtless began to surround me and soon it became very difficult to escape. I went to the seats for awile and watche dthe party. anyone else go to that?
Likwid 7:02 PM - 14 February, 2006
Quote:
At the Pacha:
- No
- Why?
- 'cause it's crap
- OK...

Who asks for their own music?
s42000 8:03 PM - 14 February, 2006
Whoot There It Is - 95 South

If advanced aliens heard this they would destroy earth on an instant. That song represents humanity at its worst.

I think anyone playing this song should be shot dead on the spot. I made a pact with myself that next time I hear someone play it, I will pee on their mixer, regardless of the consequences.
djBO 8:23 PM - 14 February, 2006
i went to a huge party in montreal new years 04 05 @ the bell center and by the end of the night the gino looking french canadiens running around shirtless began to surround me and soon it became very difficult to escape. I went to the seats for awile and watche dthe party. anyone else go to that?

Hey Lester,

you went to Celebration 05 at the Bell Centre.

Those after hour raves are predominantly gay crowds. Hope you had a great time.
anewsome 8:45 PM - 14 February, 2006
I was at OPM in Vegas, one of my favorite clubs. I respect the DJs there cuz they always bring it. Or at least late 2004 early 2005 timeframe. But one night I was there and the DJ was doing this classic b-boy mix with Rock The Bells, Peter Piper, etc. We were all feeling it. Then dude drops TOOTSIE ROLL. I am not making this up. You see the dance floor kinda pause like, "are we gonna dance to this whack shit". They started grooving to it,.. shit, so did I.

TO THE LEFT,.. NOW SLIDE,.. SLIDE
DJ Evil One 11:37 PM - 14 February, 2006
anewsome...i actually kind of enjoy some of that booty bass type shit. granted, a lot of it is sort of jock-jammish...but a dope booty bass set is off the hook.
DJ Evil One 11:44 PM - 14 February, 2006
for the record, ashlee simpson "l-o-v-e" is the absolute worst song ever!!!!!!!!!!!
DJBlisk 12:33 AM - 15 February, 2006
have you heard the remix with missy elliot? totally different song, still sucks though. Too bad missy elliot didn't just sing the whole song.
anewsome 12:53 AM - 15 February, 2006
Not sure which Missy remix you are reffering to Blisk. Speaking of Missy,.. "We Run This" is straight up FIRE!
DJBlisk 12:59 AM - 15 February, 2006
sorry anewsome. There is a remix to the l.o.v.e song featuring Missy Elliot. The underlying bass beat is alright, but ashlee simpson ruins the beat when her no talent ass starts singing. Get at me if you can't get it.
DJ Evil One 1:05 AM - 15 February, 2006
i haven't heard the remix...i haven't heard much of ashlees music, but enough to know that she has little to no talent. she isn't even cute, either.
anewsome 1:06 AM - 15 February, 2006
Hmm. Weird. I have promo only mainstream radio and it usually has all that hot garbage on it, but i aint got it yet. Maybe I'll see it in the next delivery.
Thundercat 1:35 AM - 15 February, 2006
I was wondering how long it would take before Missy's We Run This would make its rounds as a radio single. When I first got the CD (June / July) I thought this was one of the tightest tracks. It doesn't hurt that Apache (the 'original' original by the Incredible Bongo Band) is a break that I hold near and dear to my heart. Other faves from that CD are My Struggles, My Man & Mommy.

PO Mainstream Radio January 2006 has the album version of L.O.V.E. not the remixes w/ Missy.
hologram 2:33 AM - 15 February, 2006
My friends like to ask me for this song because they know I have no tolorance for it.

Achy Breaky Heart

Asking me for this can cause violence.
anewsome 3:50 AM - 15 February, 2006
Next time they ask you for that Achy Breaky crap, put on Friends In Low Places Instead. They'll dance less and drink more.
roctakon 8:58 AM - 15 February, 2006
Actualy the Apache They use on missy is the Sugar Hill Version.........

Sorry not trying to be a dick its just that it is the Sugar Hill version.......Not the IBB version...
DjWoody 8:58 AM - 15 February, 2006
Darude - Sandstorm or Alice DJ - Better Off Alone! I can't stand those two song!

Oh and Laffy Taffy too! I refuse to play it!
roctakon 9:00 AM - 15 February, 2006
But u new that my bad..... SORRY
anewsome 3:51 PM - 15 February, 2006
Alice DJ = stripper song. So what's wrong with that?
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 4:24 PM - 15 February, 2006
i always hide when the niece or daughter of the gig comes up with a minus-one / karioke cd and attempts to sing to tha crowd. it's fine when they're hot, but when they stink (can't keep in tune), aw man!
Thundercat 10:40 PM - 15 February, 2006
Quote:
Actualy the Apache They use on missy is the Sugar Hill Version.........

Sorry not trying to be a dick its just that it is the Sugar Hill version.......Not the IBB version...

No dickishness observed at all. You are correct, I was just professing my L.O.V.E. for the original. (cheap Ashlee Simpson shot) =D
Thundercat 10:45 PM - 15 February, 2006
Quote:
Alice DJ = stripper song. So what's wrong with that?

Best 3 stripper songs ever (IMHO):
NIN - Piggy
Pantera - Walk
Rage Agains The Machine - Killing In The Name
anewsome 11:47 PM - 15 February, 2006
Damn Thundercat, strippers in your hood got some edge. I've only been to a few joints but they were still playing shit like Motley Crue - Girls Girls Girls, and Divynls - I Touch Myself. Oh yeah, and Alice Deejay.
dieterbo 12:44 AM - 16 February, 2006
some songs i really hate are:
ice ice baby
gangsters paradise

i´m sure there a more to come
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 1:08 AM - 16 February, 2006
*humming to the tune 'i'm in love with a stripper'*

man, the only peep show i get these days is from the wifey when she's getting ready for work in tha morning :)
s42000 2:22 AM - 16 February, 2006
This Beat is Technotronic (original version) - Technotronic
hologram 3:35 AM - 16 February, 2006
Quote:
Next time they ask you for that Achy Breaky crap, put on Friends In Low Places Instead. They'll dance less and drink more.

Hehe funny you mention that one because that is probably my Most favored Country song.
anewsome 4:38 AM - 16 February, 2006
Quote:
Quote:

Hehe funny you mention that one because that is probably my Most favored Country song.

It's my ONLY favorite country song. :-)

Technotronic? I got a laugh outta that one. Damn that was funny.
roctakon 8:43 AM - 16 February, 2006
Honkey Tonk Badonkadonk

AMAZING!
SloMocean 3:34 PM - 16 February, 2006
Who Let the Dogs Out?

woof woof woof woof

I still can't believe how much radio play that got ...
s42000 4:23 PM - 16 February, 2006
Quote:
Who Let the Dogs Out?
woof woof woof woof
quote]

LOL .. that was actually an anthem in some joints :)
anewsome 10:34 PM - 16 February, 2006
Quote:
LOL .. that was actually an anthem in some joints :)

famously an anthem for the 2001-02 Lakers victory parade, when Mark 'Mad Dog' Madsen grabbed the mic and did his own 'who let the dogs out', which he followed up with an equally famous dance. I remember seeing it at the time and saying,.. 'oh damn,.. is somebody gonna stop him!'. the horror.
SloMocean 2:25 PM - 17 February, 2006
I saw a commercial for a children's music game the other day and they were rockin out to this track ...

From the Lakers victory parade to preschools around the world ...

My magic 8 ball predicts a similar fate for "Laffy Taffy"
s42000 3:20 PM - 17 February, 2006
Talking about bad songs ..
1st we had Tootsie Roll (www.candydirect.com )
Now Laffy Taffy ..( www.candydirect.com )

I think im gonna sing the next 'hit' ... I will call it Abba Zaba (www.candydirect.com )
Spin Dr's 4:38 AM - 24 February, 2006
Quote:
THE ELECTRIC F@CKIN SLIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry...I've been wanting to get that out for about 8 years now.
Oh..you can add the Cha Cha Slide, and any and every line dance track that came out..and all future line dance tracks.

UUUUUUHHHHHHHGGGGGGg!!!!!! People...you can line dance to any song you want to. The electric slide doesn't unlock your line dancing abilities. LOL

Rocket...thanks for this discussion.

I HAAAATTEE this song! Maybe b/c back in the 80's myself and 3 other homies entered a contest to do a routine to this song and won $5K! LoL Our friends began asking us to do the routine at every party. What was I thinking?!
dj smiley 01 8:20 AM - 24 February, 2006
mackarenna
DJ Evil One 6:50 PM - 24 February, 2006
mambo #5
Niral 8:58 PM - 24 February, 2006
50 Cent - In Da Club
Missy Elliot - Lose Control (I hear that song everywhere I go! Way too played out)
Kanye - Goldigger (Really tired of this one!)
BriChi 9:12 PM - 24 February, 2006
CHA CHA SLIDE SUX
djrocket 9:13 PM - 24 February, 2006
here is another "The Bunny Hop"
DJ Evil One 9:18 PM - 24 February, 2006
niral-

while those songs might be played out...they're actually sort of bangers. the beat on in the club is some sinister dre classic shit...lose control has the funky old school electro shit (and everybody loves fatman scoop) and kanye "golddigger" is one of the few singles in recent memory that took a different slant on the usual rap bullshit.

cha cha slide does suck
ashlee simpson sucks
macarena sucks

i think i'm in a bad friday mood for some reaason.
Sim 10:44 PM - 24 February, 2006
Quote:
50 Cent - In Da Club
Missy Elliot - Lose Control (I hear that song everywhere I go! Way too played out)

I think u missed the point of the thread, those are still tracks that get the girls dancin.

I heard a DJ play Come Baby Come, I think the group was K7, frackin ridiculous when I heard it
DJ Evil One 11:09 PM - 24 February, 2006
that K7 is a classically aweful record! i think i have doubles.
anewsome 11:10 PM - 24 February, 2006
Quote:
50 Cent - In Da Club

Yo kid, I think you missed the point of the thread. These songs would never be included in a list of "all time worst song played". If they are on your list then I don't think you'd be a very good DJ at any club I've ever been to.

I'd say the all belong on the "played way to damn much" list, and the Missy song might even make the "most annoying song in the club" list,.. but none of them should ever make the "all time worst songs" list. None of them.

If those are included in the worst songs you've ever played,.. you haven't been playing long enough.

I've been around long enough to have played "who let the dogs out", technotronic, robbie nevil, mambo #5, the electric slide and a hundred others. When you DJ long enough, you will eventually catch a brick and have to play some ill shit too. But don't put "In Da Club" on that list. That is a straight up club banger, dance floor saver classic.
s42000 9:32 AM - 25 February, 2006
Quote:
that K7 is a classically aweful record! i think i have doubles.

That one almost makes me puke. Awful song indeed.
Hydrazine 10:17 AM - 25 February, 2006
This is why I quit playing weddings and frat-parties in school. Frat-parties were the worst. Around the tenth time a drunk guy is gettin in your face and spillin beer on your gear because you won't play 2-untalented "Get ready for this" AGAIN.. for the third time in an evening... well you start following up on that plan to get a real job someday.

Oh.. and that is the worst song ever.
shmok1 7:12 PM - 25 February, 2006
worst: femme like you by k-maro

felt raped for ar least a week.. mainstream whore that I am..;)
twinsouls 9:21 PM - 25 February, 2006
One time I was spinning some new hip hop, you know some up beat stuff and everyone was on the dancefloor going crazy and then some guy I work with (who I dont really like in the 1st place)asks me to play some Wu-Tang clan and underground stuff.Oh ya and he asked me right when I was in the middle of using my headphone to match the pitch of the next song. AND IT WAS ALMOST OVER!What an A-Hole. I think Its was C.R.E.A.M. Ya that song is tight but come on, this would have slowed things down way too much and cleared the dance floor. The general crowd wants what there used to on the radio. This is just the way it is. So I play what I want I my own time and what the people want on theirs assuming it's right for the set.
gars 9:37 PM - 25 February, 2006
i had allways wanted to play "total eclipse of the heart" with the place packed. it builds and people can sing along and i will play it at parties but had never dropped it in the club. so i did one night, for about 30 seconds. i would have let it play through but i felt my life was in danger. so acted like it was a joke and threw on whatever was hot at the time and got everone back on my side
Julls 11:14 PM - 25 February, 2006
Prince - You Sexy Mother Fucker

That song just killed it. I was told I had to play it though. Everyone just left the dance floor and was looking at me. Its kinda hard not to play a song when the person thats paying you tells you that you have to.
Thundercat 11:41 PM - 25 February, 2006
I played Cha Cha Slide 3 times today, Electric Boogie twice, Toro Toto 3 times, Souvenirs twice, Chilly Cha Cha twice, Mahna mahna (yeah the muppets song) twice and 20 minutes of Stars on 45.

Somebody shoot me now please...No more parties for FOFF (Friends of Filipino Family) thank you.
DJ Evil One 1:45 AM - 26 February, 2006
thundercat, that sounds like a dope set...you didn't happen to record it, did you?
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 1:52 AM - 26 February, 2006
u forgot spagetti and ocho :)
Cizzel 4:23 AM - 26 February, 2006
Twinsoul. C.R.E.A.M is classic. F#ck those top 40 dooshbags who dont know what good music is
mister iLL 7:39 AM - 26 February, 2006
if people aren't feeling C.R.E.A.M., then i don't know what they need. that ish is classic indeed.
Sim 8:10 AM - 26 February, 2006
cream is classic, but it wont work at a club
mister iLL 1:27 PM - 26 February, 2006
depends on the club. it'll work anywhere i play.
twinsouls 8:12 PM - 26 February, 2006
Just to test it out then maybe Ill throw it on sometime. But if I get heat for it then it's on you guys J/K. Maybe Ill play it when everyones faded, you can play anything then.LOL.
gars 9:45 PM - 26 February, 2006
twinsouls if your worried about keepin the people goin with some classic Wu, then drop "shame on a nigga" i played it once while this dude was stripping near butt naked on stage. humerous
DJ Evil One 11:21 PM - 27 February, 2006
play "ghost showers" early too..that joint will actually work.
anewsome 11:57 PM - 27 February, 2006
Quote:
play "ghost showers" early too..that joint will actually work.

Just don't play the original "Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band - Sunshower",.. which is what Ghost Showers is based on,.. although I might drop it myself because I'm just that funky.
DJ Evil One 12:08 AM - 28 February, 2006
lol @ anewsome. i heard that you set the party off playing "disco duck" the other night. props.
Niral 5:49 PM - 28 February, 2006
True. I need to post my list in the "played out tracks of 2005".
anewsome 7:53 PM - 28 February, 2006
Some of those played out tracks still work, miraculously. Goodies and Yeah come to mind. For some unknown reason people still want to hear these records. You wouldn't believe me if I told you how many times I've heard/played these and people are STILL looking for them.
Sim 11:12 PM - 28 February, 2006
^^ at a minimum u can play those at the beginnin of the nite, with Yeah, u can drop it at almost anytime and still get a reaction, kinda like In the Club
anewsome 11:44 PM - 28 February, 2006
There is a regular gig that I play at, where the hottest waitress there loves the song "Rupert Holmes - The Pina Colada" song. I played there once a week and I never had the song, but she asked every week. Now I have,.. I can't wait to drop that bad boy,.. in the early set of course. Then, without a doubt, that will be the worst song I've ever played. But damn she's hot!

Speaking of hot,. there is this go-go that does gigs with us sometimes, she'll remain nameless. She basically shakes her ass in her underwear all night in front of me while I spin. She absolutely LOVES that song "Will Smith - Party Starter",.. I've played it twice for her. That has got to be one of the worst songs ever!
roctakon 1:46 AM - 1 March, 2006
C.R.E.M. is a quick way to dead a party............

unless its a sausage party.....
Thundercat 2:02 AM - 1 March, 2006
I don't agree that it would dead the party, however I would drop Da Mystery of Chessboxin' or Method Man before I dropeed C.R.E.A.M.

Just a tempo / energy preference for me.
DJMark 11:00 AM - 1 March, 2006
I've got every one of you beat on this:

Terry Jacks "Seasons In The Sun", end of the night in an alternative club (very "goth" crowd), 1986 or 1987, mixed in after The Smiths "How Soon Is Now". This turned into something I "had" to do at the end of the night in those places for awhile...pull out cheesy 70's record after a night of Front 242/The Cure/Depeche Mode etc. "Love Will Keep Us Together" and "Shake Your Booty" were a couple of others that always got a great reaction at the end of the night.

This was years before the 70's and "disco" became popular again, so there was actually a sort of shock value to this at the time.
Jay-R 12:58 PM - 21 December, 2006
who was drunk enough to play YMCA?
DJ Michael Basic 1:04 PM - 21 December, 2006
Jim Jones, Ballin.

I have to play YMCA twice a year...I do a Summer/Winter camp counselor thing with the YMCA and I DJ the dance, so it's a must play.
DJ ROSSBERG 2:03 PM - 21 December, 2006
Quote:
Speaking of hot,. there is this go-go that does gigs with us sometimes, she'll remain nameless. She basically shakes her ass in her underwear all night in front of me while I spin. She absolutely LOVES that song "Will Smith - Party Starter",.. I've played it twice for her. That has got to be one of the worst songs ever!

Can you get that on camera.. please?
a-swift 2:22 PM - 21 December, 2006
Return of the dead threads? Hmmph.

Walk It Out

any of the WGA (white girl anthems). We get a lot of those in OC.
ral 3:41 AM - 22 December, 2006
Quote:
u forgot spagetti and ocho :)

come on man! its 'boom tarat tarat' turn!
allenbina 4:13 AM - 22 December, 2006
a lot of patrons had issues with me not playing their requests, so i bought a shirt that said "if i point to this shirt, your song isn't being played". the manager made me turn it inside out. that said, the next request was toto - africa from some chick who just came from africa for some reason or another that she tried to explain to me. that was the next song. the manager comes running and i got to turn the shirt right side out.
dj skiggz 4:43 AM - 22 December, 2006
for some reason everyone likes the YMCA on new years.
QB 4:52 AM - 22 December, 2006
the worst song i had to play was "thriller" by michael jackson but what made it so bad was it was at a quinceura and the stupid girl and her 3 dork friends had a dance to it. but they didnt have a dance for the whole song only up a cetain spot. but what made it worse was they asked me to play it 4 times in les than 30 minutes and everytime they would do the stupid wack dance and when the spot were they didnt know what to do i had to change the song cuz they would just look at me like what should they do.
DJ GaFFle 6:56 PM - 23 December, 2006
I dropped "Freaks of the Industry" in transition...BomBed!

I flopped with a crunk crowd playing "Raise Up" by Petey Pablo. They we're hard-core snap/trap/crunk fans and wanted only the new-new.