13 September, 2006
Scratch Live version 1.6.2
This version contains several fixes, and an overhaul to the MP3 playing and overview building system, and is recommended for all users.
We have made several improvements to Relative mode. This should fix the problem of "Sticker Slip". Sticker Slip is the name we have given to the problem where when cueing or scratching in Relative mode, the orientation of a sticker placed on the record would change in relation to the audio.
Relative mode will now also adjust to correct the effect of the needle skipping - if you have two tracks beat matched in Relative mode, and the needle skips, the two tracks will now stay in time. (Previously, the time the needle spent off the surface of the record would not be taken into account, and the track that skipped would drop behind). You will notice that if you pick the needle up, and turn the record a partial revolution, and put the needle back down, the playhead will now jump - just like Absolute mode. If you wish to change the orientation of the sticker, without changing the position within the song, put the needle down at least one minute from where you picked it up.
Thank you to all those people that have submitted problematic MP3s in the past - we've done a major overhaul of the MP3 playing system, and we are yet to find an MP3 that can crash this version! The overview builder should now run without stopping, and has an overall progress indicator, to show how many tracks are left to build. The storing of overviews is smarter, so you wont have to rebuild overviews unnecessarily. We have worked on the system for determining if a file is corrupt or not - Scratch Live is now much better at detecting corrupt files. Before using 1.6.2, rebuild the overviews of all tracks that were marked as corrupt by a previous version. To do this, sort by the status column (the second column from the left, that contains the 'corrupt file' icon) to group all your corrupt files, and drag them onto the "build overviews" button. We recommend that you rescan your ID3 tags after installing 1.6.2. To do this, go to the setup screen and click the "rescan ID3 tags" button.
We've also changed the 'read iTunes library' option to be a bit smarter - it no longer believes the iTunes file if the file does not appear to be where iTunes says it is. We also display a message at the bottom of the screen to show that the iTunes library is being read.
We've added another safety feature to Internal mode: if you hold down the control key and click on the INT button, it will switch to internal mode and set the playback speed to 0% - handy if you've got dust on the needle, and the track suddenly slows down. Keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl - F3 for the left deck, Ctrl - F8 for the right deck.
We are now automatically splitting large recordings to counter this problem. Recordings will be split into sessions of 3 hours. No data is lost, you can add two sessions together seamlessly.
TTM 57SL mixer firmware update
This version of Scratch Live contains a firmware update for the TTM 57SL. To update the firmware, go to the 57SL setup screen, and click the update button. This updates the firmware to version 1.11
TTM 57SL firmware v1.11 change log:
- Control Signal level has been raised. The new firmware makes the setup screen circles bigger. If you can't see the circles in the setup screen, you may have to lower the zoom level!
- Record levels implemented. Use the gain knob on the record panel to adjust the record level.
- Limiter lights OL when limiting (when meter is p1/p2 mono)
- Gain control has been changed to now range from full cut to +15dB
- Changed the tone controls to be the same as the TTM 56
- Pan control response smoothed. (Left/Right and Cue PGM1/PGM2)
- Flex loop alignment. Addresses Flex Assign clicking
- Fix to problem of 57SL not working when hotplugging from a Windows machine to a Mac.
Troubleshooting updating the firmware on your TTM 57SL
If you have problems updating your firmware - first of all, don't panic! There are fail-safe systems built in, so you can't damage your mixer. If something goes wrong, turn off the mixer, restart Scratch Live, and turn the mixer back on again. The update process will restart.
1.6.2 full change log
- Added ctrl-click on Internal mode sets the speed to 1x
- Added automatic splitting of recordings that go over 3 hours
- Fixed crash that could occur when navigating browse window with the
- Fixed iTunes icons not disappearing immediately after unchecking
"read iTunes library"
- Fixed bug where loops were not saving immediately after setting
them using the 57SL (e.g. set a loop then do input reverse and the
loop would be gone)
- Added open prepare panel command on the 57SL group screen plus an
add to prepare crate 57SL command
- Improved freezing of overview builder and hardened the mp3 decoder
- Fixed "sticker slip" in relative mode
- Fixed iTunes imported from importing iTunes songs that aren't
actually on an available drive
- Fixed playback sometimes stopping on the MP 4 when typing in the
- Added overall progress indication of the overview builder
- Fixed Scratch Live from rebuilding overviews if a song has been
moved or re-added to the database
- Changed mic to aux on the 57SL record panel
- Fixed missing files having the padlock icon
- Increased overall stability of Scratch Live
- Smoothed main waveforms
- Fixed Scratch Live causing constant dropouts when unplugging or plugging in a mouse or HID device on Windows
- Added indication of iTunes reading status in the status bar. You can now see what the iTunes importer is doing when 'Read iTunes Library' is ticked.
- Fixed track list jumping to the top when setting cue points with the keyboard. If you had tracks starting with for example "1 - blaa blaa" if you pressed ctrl-1, the track list would jump to the song names starting with '1'.
- Fixed crashes that could occur from bad album art. If you have bad album art, a "Corrupt Image Tag" message shows in the album art window.
- Made "panic mode" and repeat track to be assignable as 57 functions. Also, the panic mode always starts playback under all conditions in case the needle is *really* dirty.
- Fixed bug where you can't select 'AUX' on the TTM 57SL record input menu.
- Fixed crash when using the 57SL to load a recording twice to a deck and then pressing undo.
- Changed '57 Setup' (Group - J2 Down) function to take you straight to the 57 Setup panel if you are on the main setup screen
- Fixed 57SL bug where selecting a group with the mouse, then clicking the same group again would turn the group icon off