Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Why has Serato made ITCH?

Serato, Forum Moderator
Steve W 6:24 AM - 18 January, 2008
For several years Serato has wanted to provide a way to DJ without the hassle of carrying around 1200s, or in places (like the back of a car on a road trip) where turntables are impractical. We would have loved to have made ITCH with Rane, but like it says in the FAQ, "Rane do not currently make any controller products that are suitable for the ITCH system".

Given that, a couple of years ago we approached a variety of hardware companies about fulfilling the vision we had for ITCH. Vestax were an obvious choice, since their VCI-100 MIDI controller has the right form factor and really just needed the addition of a soundcard to be most of the way to being a fantastic ITCH controller. The result of that development is the VCI-300 launched today at the NAMM show. See www.vestax.com

In addition, we chose to work with Numark because they "got" our vision and bring an interesting twist with their motorized platters which allow many interesting mixing techniques not otherwise possible with a portable controller. Their offering is the NS7. See www.numark.com

So ITCH is not about "selling something to microwave DJs". It's about a more portable way to work with Serato software, enhanced with custom designed controllers that put every function at your fingertips.

We still love vinyl and we still love Rane! Serato and Rane continue to work very closely on future hardware developments, and we'll work hard on improving Scratch LIVE for years to come.
djmoneyd425 6:48 AM - 18 January, 2008
Quote:
For several years Serato has wanted to provide a way to DJ without the hassle of carrying around 1200s, or in places (like the back of a car on a road trip) where turntables are impractical. .

this makes me feel a little better i guess...but there is no foreseeable situation in my mind where any dj should ever use this in a large venue or club setting.
DJ GaFFle 10:58 AM - 18 January, 2008
I'd easily consider one of these controllers just as long as the quality is there. Kind of a mix between the Rane 56/57 & Technics 1200 quality.
moe 8:05 PM - 24 January, 2008
I just want to know. Can you scratch on them like you can with cdjs?
Serato
JonathanC 8:51 PM - 24 January, 2008
Hi moe,

Yes you can.
moe 11:09 PM - 24 January, 2008
So i have to buy the program and the controller or will it come together.
DJ MDX 1:44 AM - 25 January, 2008
Together - it's packaged with the controller.
DJ MDX 1:45 AM - 25 January, 2008
....or, rather, it should be - from a logical sense....
Serato
JonathanC 8:44 PM - 28 January, 2008
The controller and the program are an integrated solution and need each other to function.
cMo 9:28 PM - 30 January, 2008
Quote:
So ITCH is not about "selling something to microwave DJs". It's about a more portable way to work with Serato software, enhanced with custom designed controllers that put every function at your fingertips.

Don't worry about people resisting change, what so-called "microwave DJs" do, or any comment made by ignorant / prejudiced / jaded / insecure people have to say. Keep making Serato the best digital DJ software company on the market, and keep bringing the highest quality and most advanced technology available to your product.
soon-2-be-ex-FS2user 11:01 PM - 31 January, 2008
can i using it still for it on mines CV02 waxes
moe 9:23 PM - 1 February, 2008
how about beat juggling? I have noticed that on the vci-300 the platter doesnt move and there is no mark going around like on the cdjs.
cMo 9:57 PM - 1 February, 2008
I'm sure there will be some 8 year old kids beat juggling with this thing on Youtube. The rest of the turntablists will still use turntables for that. The 300 will be useful if you want to make a mix cd without getting out of bed!
moe 3:31 AM - 2 February, 2008
dang! that sucks. If the controller/platter is anything like a cdj 800 mk2 then i will consider it. I dont want to be looking at the screen when im spinning back to a cue point.
cMo 8:05 PM - 4 February, 2008
The platter on the cdj-800 is far superior.
Jay Rags 6:06 PM - 23 July, 2008
For some reason the new 'sync' button/feature that comes with this seems like your cheating.

I understand that in scratch live you can look at the wave points while playing and work to match them, but to be able to press a button and auto sync/beatmatch is just....not right.

I don't know. Just my initial thoughts.
Darcy 4:46 AM - 24 July, 2008
^^^ try it first...it doesn't help you...it fucks u up more then anything...sync is the exact same as looking on the screen and matching both bpm and pushing play when the bars align!!! trust me when I say it won't work any more then half the time and if you think this will help a dj that doesn't know how to beat match lay a set...u are sadly mistaken!

everyone should understand there is no substitute for learning how to beat match,if you don't want to learn just make play lists on your ipod...and there is nothing wrong with that!
antonborisov 9:57 AM - 25 July, 2008
Many dj's don't beatmatch manually at all, when they use Ableton Live, for example. Djing is not about beatmatching and other technical skills. It is about good music taste, crowd control and so on.

Anyone can master beatmathing in one or two weeks, but if you can't read a crowd or don't understand music - then you are just pretend to be a dj.

So, in the end - presence of Sync button doesn't make you better or worse DJ (and it is not a cheating indeed) - it is just a button.
1000 Cutts 12:36 PM - 25 July, 2008
Oh come on it is cheating..... unless you are wanting to knock out really quick mixes. Anyway I am looking forward to using it as I have just come over to the digital age after mixing vinyl since 93...anyone know when VCI will hit UK?
sheeno 1:09 PM - 25 July, 2008
Re: Synch

I remember when the cdj1000 first came out, some people were quick to accuse the new “CD jock” of cheating as you now had the ability to roughly match the bpms using the cdj display even before you even cued up the track.

I can understand why some DJs feel threatened by the new technology though. Aspiring DJs used to have to spend weeks, months or even years perfecting the art of beatmatching and now, with the press of a button, any punk with a laptop can do it!

In my mind the primary role of the DJ is to read and enhance the mood of a crowd. How he/she does that is irrelevant.

cMo 3:08 PM - 25 July, 2008
Whatever, just because an airplane has auto-pilot doesn't mean you can fly without learning all the other controls first.

People who hate on ITCH are just insecure. Beat matching cannot be mastered in a week or two, it takes longer than that to train your hand-ear-coordination, and train your mind to listen to 2 things at once, making sure they stay synchronized. That's not to mention all the other skills required to play music in a room full of people drinking alcohol.
bartaug 8:31 PM - 25 July, 2008
It all boils down to what is coming out of the speakers (and how that is perceived). How you get there technically (TT, CD, SSL, Live, toothbrush) is not relavant as long as the result is good :)

DeezNotes 9:09 PM - 25 July, 2008
A bad DJ is still a bad DJ.

A good DJ is still a good DJ.

No matter what tools you use.
DJ MDX 1:04 PM - 26 July, 2008
Well I am an old school DJ that embraces all new technology. All I care about is what my dance floor thinks about me.

Let's face it - in my many years of experience you will always have haters.

Haters against other DJ's because of their skills and others because they are new to their area or trying to come up. I have experienced both.

Then you have haters against technology and new ingenuity because they fear it, don't want to learn it, are stuck in their old ways, or simply can not afford it.

I give props where props are due and I give constructive criticism that can be used and when delivered correctly it is appreciated.

Isn't it great that Serato has thought about all those DJ's and provided them different tools at what ever stage you are in your DJ career that anyone can use and benefit from :-)
antonborisov 10:53 AM - 28 July, 2008
There are so many narrow-minded people in my country of residence who reckon your DJ professionalism depending on media you use... "Hey, man - you don't play vinyl, you use computer - you are not a real dj!" I hope this sh$t will stop some day.
cMo 9:35 PM - 29 July, 2008
Quote:
"Hey, man - you don't play vinyl, you use computer - you are not a real dj!" I hope this sh$t will stop some day.

a real dj is as a real dj does
DJ 3pm 2:43 PM - 9 August, 2008
Quote:
Whatever, just because an airplane has auto-pilot doesn't mean you can fly without learning all the other controls first.

best quote ever