Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

MP25 & MP26 doesn't work Standalone...Really???

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
-
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
musiclee 3:55 AM - 8 May, 2013
I own the MP4, frozen on SSL version 2.3.3
I was just about to buy the MP25 or 26 thinking this was an upgrade to the MP4
Just found out that even thought the 25 and 26 have their own soundcard as does the MP4, these 'upgraded' MP models require the SL2,3,4 in order to run SSL...really? That's ridiculous

I mean you spend $1,500 or $1750 and then still have to spend at least an addition $500 to open up the SSL software?

What's the reasoning except to milk more $$ from us?

In conclusion, I will not buy the M25 or 26 for this reason.
I want to simplify my setup, not add additional bulk, weight, and
expense... I

I will keep the MP4 till they make a real replacement for it, till they make a true standalone 3, 4 or 5 space rackmountable mixer
Laz219 4:50 AM - 8 May, 2013
Well...it's because they aren't intended as the upgrade to the MP4?
Rane and Serato are seperate companies, so if Rane wanted to release a new mixer there is no reason it has to include SSL.

I would assume there would be good market research reasons that deemed it not necessary to have Serato built in.
Phuture2 11:20 AM - 8 May, 2013
Bring back a newer version of the MP4. That mixeer was simple , small and worked great.
musiclee 4:09 PM - 8 May, 2013
"good market research reasons that deemed it not necessary to have Serato built in."

ye, and because of this good research, i will not buy it

i'm sure this can be changed via firmware, so SSL boots up

or just add SSL to it, or tweak the current MP25 and call it the MP25s
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:46 PM - 8 May, 2013
Hey musiclee,

Yes.. I agree, it is unfortunate the MP25 and MP26 do not have an upgrade option for Scratch Live. This is something we (Rane) would actually like to see but the decision is up to Serato.
The MP25 and MP26 were designed to replace the old MP24 and MP22 and were geared towards non Scratch Live users as most Scratch Live users simply aren't interested in a 19" rack mountable mixer.
Not only that but when you throw the Scratch Live program in the mix the price for a unit gets substantially higher thus we didn't build it into the design.
We (Rane) would still like to see some sort of upgrade option for users like you so you can take advantage of the benefits of the MP25 and/or MP26. The ball is in Serato's court though.
musiclee 7:27 PM - 8 May, 2013
Zach,

i thought it was Rane that chose not to include SSL,
i think that alot of people would be much more inclined to buy the 19" rackmount mixer IF it included SSL,
but having to buy the Mixer and then buy the SL2,3,4 is just unfortunate for us the customers, and ultimately sales... as then people start to consider Traktor, PCDJ, etc

question.. is this SSL inclusion something that can be added to MP25, 26 via firmware or revise the code in SSL? MP4 opens SSL, so what's the "trick"

i mean i love the MP4 BUT, the main reason i was looking forward to buying the MP25 was the extra mic channel, plus the very necessary EQ on the mics, which the MP4 lacks

Serato , PLEASE, PLEASE consider adding SSL to the 25 & 26.
The ball is in your court...

thanks again Zach

i refuse to buy the MP25 AND still have to have my MP4 in my rack just to open up SSL
Rane, Support
Zach S 7:44 PM - 8 May, 2013
Unfortunately the ball is not in our court... its in Serato's.
If it were up to us Serato would sell a firmware upgrade that would add the Serato license to the unit. This is possible but it would require work. The question then becomes is it worth it.

If you are wanting to see that happen I would suggest reaching out to Serato's staff and and seeing if this is something they might want to do. They can be reached at support@serato.com.
My guess is they are busy with their other ventures and aren't going to have the time to make this happen... especially since they wouldn't make that much money off the venture.
musiclee 8:46 PM - 8 May, 2013
nice to know that it is possible to add SSL to the MP25, 26 without having to come out with a new model, IF Serato chooses to do so, which i really hope they do...

i want to upgrade my MP4 asap.

i sent Serato an email asking them.
we will wait & see what happens... fingers crossed
musiclee 9:06 PM - 8 May, 2013
Rane makes the 68, 62, 61, TTM 57SL and these are all plug and play with SSL, no additional interface needed.

So why exclude 2 awesome mixers, the Rane MP25, MP26 from running SSL standalone?
Rane, Support
Zach S 9:19 PM - 8 May, 2013
The MP25 and 26 were designed for non Scratch Live users. The same users who are wanting to update from their old MP24 and MP22 (also not Scratch Live compatible).
If we were to add Scratch Live to these models out of the gate, non SSL users would be paying way more for the Scratch Live license.
deejdave 10:05 PM - 8 May, 2013
Quote:
Rane makes the 68, 62, 61, TTM 57SL and these are all plug and play with SSL, no additional interface needed.

So why exclude 2 awesome mixers, the Rane MP25, MP26 from running SSL standalone?

Are you implying that EVERY mixer Rane makes must have Serato Built in? Are you aware that Rane has been around way before Serato? The day Serato released Scratch Live should have been the last daythey released a mixer on its own?

Your post title is "MP25 & MP26 doesn't work Standalone...Really???" but you fail to recognize that is exactly what they are. Serato Mixers are the ones that are not standalone....................... you need a laptop to use the Serato................... how is that standalone. With the MP25 & MP26 you don't need anything extra. Just your media source (ie CDJ, Turntable, etc.) and your good to go. As a FYI Rane mixers are awesome and that is why they release STANDALONE mixers. By your logic are we to assume that now that Pioneer has released a controller with Serato DJ built in they must build Serato DJ only hardware from now on? Try to remember its SERATO Scratch Live not RANE Scratch Live.
Quote:
Zach,

i thought it was Rane that chose not to include SSL,
i think that alot of people would be much more inclined to buy the 19" rackmount mixer IF it included SSL,

You are dead wrong. Plainly put there are way more non Scratch Live users (Traktor, VDJ, CDJ's, Turntables, Ableton, analog, etc) than Scratch Live users. THESE are the target consumers. Rane figures get a hold on the Serato market with the 68, 61, ttm57sl, etc. as well as all the rest of the market with the MP25, MP26, TTM56s, etc.

I am not sure if you understand the financial aspect of this but to make it easy think of this: Let's say you use Traktor or just plain turntables and you want to use a Rane mixer (again just to remind you the VAST majority of DJ's do not use Serato), these mixers would be for you. What probably draws you to them is the price but please keep in mind that if Serato was added to them the price would be exactly where the 61/68/etc. are.
musiclee 4:57 AM - 9 May, 2013
SSL is the industry standard, and used more extensively than you think in the TOP clubs by the TOP DJ's

You may not want or care for SSL incorporated into MP25, but I and many others do.

I want the $1,500 Rane MP25 do what the $599 Rane MP4 does, run SSL without the need to buy another audio interface.

The USB audio interface is already there in the 25, 26 , so Serato please make it work as it did on MP4

THANK YOU
Phuture2 11:20 AM - 9 May, 2013
I second the motion, +1
musiclee 12:55 PM - 9 May, 2013
See. There are others out there that need me want this
Phuture2 1:21 PM - 9 May, 2013
I think it is a great idea to include this on bith the 25 and 26 mixers.. there are some of us that still use rack mount gear. Hopefully this can be done.
musiclee 1:28 PM - 9 May, 2013
Dave, you said:

"Plainly put there are way more non Scratch Live users (Traktor, VDJ, CDJ's, ")

Yes, unfortunately TONS of bedroom DJ's have crept up in these last few years

I meant real DJ's in reputable clubs, events...
Sorry, i should have clarified...

Phuture, thanks for the positive support
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:29 PM - 9 May, 2013
I'm going to go ahead and close this thread now. Musiclee.. if you'd like to re-open it just re-post in it.
musiclee 7:02 PM - 9 May, 2013
Zach,

sorry to re-open

i just wanted to say Thank You for replying,
and anything you could do to convince Serato to add SSL would be GREATLY appreciated.
they'd probably listen to you way before me or any other , as i did not hear back from their support team on this... :-)

best,
Lee
Rane, Support
Zach S 7:31 PM - 9 May, 2013
No worries;)
We'll definitely continue to push for some sort of upgrade option. Hopefully something can be worked out in the future.
deejdave 8:48 PM - 9 May, 2013
Wait a second. Are you under the impression that the majority of Pro DJ's in the largest clubs across the world are using Serato? I am sorry to break this to you but its just not the case. You are aware that DJ's NOT using Serato means EVERY other kind of DJ in the world but Serato. But I guess you are saying that ONLY Serato DJ's are pros. Just to burst your bubble the industry standard is the CDJ-2000 Nexus and Serato doesn't even support them and almost EVERY pro DJ uses them so how is this possible........................... THINK!!

BTW I am not saying that its not possible nor am I saying it wouldn't be a cool addition. What I AM saying is Serato will NEVER do it because it would increase price of these mixers that were designed for the rest of the DJ's not using Serato (which again is the majority) and they already offer mixers with Serato built in. This is done because they must have something to offer the "bedroom DJ's" using Pioneer, A&H, ect. I must bow out of this argument though because if you missed all of this I fear you may be missing way more.

Simply put if you were Serato would you want to offer mixers that only Serato users can use or mixers that anyone in the world can use.................... which path would you think would bring in more revenue?

PS I have the CDJ-2000 Nexus' with DJM-900 and I don't even have the option for Serato (HID at least). I am assuming that makes it bedroom DJ equipment?
musiclee 1:58 AM - 10 May, 2013
Serato could offer SSL as an option on the MP 25,26. An add on. Maybe an extra $200

This way Traktor peeps can buy the MP25 for $1450
SSL users can buy it for $1650

This way everyone is happy. Never say Never. :-)

Best to you...
musiclee 4:21 AM - 10 May, 2013
Interesting post on another forum about MP25 around the beginning of 2011

"I saw it at NAMM and according to the staff at the show the internal has ASIO and Core Audio Drivers so the midi can be used with other DJ software not just Serato! It seems like there is some static between Rane and Serato. I think Rane is upset that Serato created Itch to be sold to competing manufacturers. So Rane's answer was to make hardware open to other programs. I think its a great move."

I wonder if this is the reason...
If so....I wish they would kiss and make up,
Laz219 4:26 AM - 10 May, 2013
Well, considering Rane is a hardware manufacturer, it makes perfect sense for them to have hardware that is open to the user to decide how they use it, and if those users are not using SL, they are hardly going to want to pay the premium for software that they won't use.

Having nothing but SL mixers would be ignoring a huge market.
deejdave 4:27 AM - 10 May, 2013
I highly doubt that is the case being the Serato units (SL1, Sl2, SL3, etc.) can be use with other DJ software nevermind mixers. Remember its not really the hardware designers putting limitations on the mixers its the Software developers (Serato) limiting what can/can't be used with their product. As a matter of fact EVERY unit/mixer/dongle/controller designed with Serato built it can be used with alternate software.
Laz219 4:29 AM - 10 May, 2013
They can, but you still had to pay for the software effectively.
The SL2/3/4 and Rane mixers would cost less they weren't funding Scratch Live as well.
deejdave 4:30 AM - 10 May, 2013
^^^ Exactly
Laz219 4:31 AM - 10 May, 2013
Think I might of misunderstood your post, I read "I highly doubt that is the case" as about my previous comment.
My mistake.
deejdave 4:32 AM - 10 May, 2013
not a problem
musiclee 3:41 PM - 10 May, 2013
i would pay an EXTRA $200 to allow SSL to open with MP25, 26 (standalone)
this way no price increase for non-Serato users, and everybody is happy !!!
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:06 PM - 10 May, 2013
^^^ 100% agree with you:)
musiclee 4:12 PM - 10 May, 2013
Zach, please tell Serato we want this, it's a win, win for all :-)
i would buy the mixer today, if it could open SSL

this and have a great weekend.
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:13 PM - 10 May, 2013
Believe me.. we have.
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:14 PM - 10 May, 2013
Unfortunately, and honestly, I wouldn't hold your breath on this.
If this were going to happen it probably would have happened already.
musiclee 4:23 PM - 10 May, 2013
ye, i hear you, i mean the mixer has been out about 2 years,
oh well. doesn't hurt to ask

i will keep using my Rane MP4 then :-)
Rane, Support
Zach S 11:22 PM - 10 May, 2013
We'll definitely continue to push this. Hopefully we'll see it happen at some point.
musiclee 3:16 AM - 11 May, 2013
Zach

Thank you.

Its Nice to know that the possibility to add this is there...

My $200 is now put aside. ;-)
deejdave 4:26 AM - 11 May, 2013
With that $200 it would bring this mixer about $1000 under the 68. Does this sound like something Rane would do? Zach you seem to me writing some checks that you know can't be cashed. This is how things get out of hand. When something is not gonna happen wouldn't it be better just to say it's not gonna happen instead of putting false hope in some obviously hopeful individuals heads. Sure anything is possible but you've got this kid (sorry I'm just assuming here) not only convinced that it could potentially happen but the two of you have even come up with a price point for it.
deejdave 4:27 AM - 11 May, 2013
Just to clarify I don't mean ANY disrespect towards anyone mentioned it just bothers me to see consumers taken advantage of or mislead.
Laz219 4:30 AM - 11 May, 2013
Quote:
Unfortunately, and honestly, I wouldn't hold your breath on this.
If this were going to happen it probably would have happened already.

I would've thought that was pretty clear to not be giving false hope...
deejdave 4:50 PM - 11 May, 2013
followed by......

Quote:
We'll definitely continue to push this. Hopefully we'll see it happen at some point.

u literally said the word hopefully. if that's not adding hope (which is false because its not going to happen) I don't know what is.

I don't know maybe it's me but apparently that was enough for him to set aside $200. I really don't care that much it just irks me when stuff like this happens. We all know where seratos priorities are and its Serato DJ. although I understand it would be a different team handling scratch live its also a fact that the vast majority of funding would be towards serato dj. whatever is spent on scratch live would be spent on adding hid to bug fixes & update thy would bring in more revenue. the vast majority who purchased the mp25 & mp26 most likely did so without the intention of using it with serato. anyone who did intend in using their mixer with serato would have purchased a serato mixer. musiclee & others like him say they would purchase the mp25/26 if they added serato. duh who wouldn't? and for $200 more !!?? where would that leave the 68. in what way would this be a wise decision for serato this leading to the question.......... why would they do this? I thought all of this would be obvious but again maybe its's just me. again I'm not trying to offend anyone I'm just trying to shine some insight on the original question.
musiclee 11:44 PM - 12 May, 2013
The fact is I will remain using my MP4 which cost me $250 used and opens SSL

I am a mobile DJ and don't want the 68
I want a 19". When I say I have $200 aside I could have $400 aside. It's just stating a point of offering an UPGRADE to open SSL with an existing mixer

It's ok. Serato decides not to offer this
I will opt NOT to buy the MP25 because of this
Rane, Support
Zach S 3:38 PM - 13 May, 2013
I work for Rane. I have no idea what Serato's plans are. My response is simply saying that we (Rane) would like to see this happen and will continue to push for this.
If it will ever happen and what it will cost if it does is completely up in the air. No false hope being given here.
musiclee 3:55 PM - 13 May, 2013
and what i am saying is that i am willing to pay $400 additional,
just about the price of the SL-2, for the ability to open SSL in MP25.
so instead of buying MP25 + SL2, $2,000, i want to buy MP25 then pay another $400, $1,900.

i don't want more hardware in the mix

thanks Zach
musiclee 4:54 PM - 13 May, 2013
Dave, not to beat a dead horse,

you said:

"where would that leave the 68. in what way would this be a wise decision for serato this leading to the question.......... why would they do this? "

this would leave the 68 exactly where it is,

actually even more profitable for Serato & more sales for Rane, as there would be no hardware (SL2)

take care.
deejdave 8:36 PM - 13 May, 2013
Consider the horse long dead n beaten.
You are saying now you would be willing to pay $400. The lowest possible Serato box goes for $500 That equals a loss for Serato. Assuming you are going with the lowest (SL2) but one would assume that the user would purchase a SL4 so all 4 channels could be utilized no? Please explain your logic.
deejdave 8:40 PM - 13 May, 2013
Where I said loss for Serato I meant a loss for Rane. Although this also equals loss for Serato.
BTW Just to go ahead and do the math for you the SL4 goes for $900 so Rane would be at a loss of $500 by going that route. In the end all I am saying is fiscally the Serato additions to these mixers would not be a wise decision for Rane & they are not known for making decisions to lose money.
musiclee 8:43 PM - 13 May, 2013
a loss for Serato? how?
you saying the actual SL2 box costs just $100 to build?

i offer $400 so Serato "opens up" SSL to MP25, nothing to manufacturer, maybe some code to write, or firmware to update, no expense as far as hardware is concerned

no need for SL4 in my case or other peoples case because i can use PCDJ as an example on the other 2 channels, or plug my Denon 4500 controller which has audio outputs to it

if it was BAD for Rane, they would not be supporting my idea, it's a win-win for both Rane and Serato. Period.
musiclee 9:00 PM - 13 May, 2013
Dave,

one thing is for sure,

we will agree to disagree :-)
deejdave 11:37 PM - 13 May, 2013
Agreed there. We will continue this post when the MP25 & MP26 are Serato enabled.................