Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

vci300 platter sensitivity knobs break very easily.

pdidy 5:44 AM - 6 October, 2008
i just got my vci 300 today and i broke it already. i tried adjusting the platter sensitivity knobs and both platters stopped working in scratch mode. this is when i noticed that the knobs are very cheap and of poor quality because 1 broke off while using only 2 fingers to turn knob. now its back in the box ready for return in under 2 hours...lol. btw it worked very well until i tried to adjust platter sensitivity knobs.
nik39 11:08 AM - 6 October, 2008
Yeah, I don't like the quality of the platter adjustment knob either. It feels cheap and mine had different "settings" for each side. So once I tighten up the screw on the right deck, the decks are tight. Left deck = not tight.
DeezNotes 5:38 PM - 6 October, 2008
Are you talking about the knobs on the back or the knobs on the sides?
nik39 6:50 PM - 6 October, 2008
Good point Deez, I guess I was talking about the knobs on the sides while didy is talking about the sensitivity knob on the back. My bad.
DJCheLu 9:05 PM - 6 October, 2008
I think he is talking about the side knobs since he said he used two fingers to adjust it. I think either way i agree the side knobs are cheap and dont work well i gave up on trying to adjust them and just deal with it. Which should not be the case on such an expensive item but oh well.
DeezNotes 3:34 AM - 7 October, 2008
I wish those side knobs had a lock like the 1200 height adjust.
digital-milo 9:20 AM - 7 October, 2008
hi, i broke the rear adjustment knob in the first hour of usage in my first vci
i say first cause i had it returned - (hardware platter problem)
and now i know not to touch thouse tiny potentiometers on the back of the unit :)

cheers
pdidy 2:50 PM - 7 October, 2008
Quote:
hi, i broke the rear adjustment knob in the first hour of usage in my first vci
i say first cause i had it returned - (hardware platter problem)
and now i know not to touch thouse tiny potentiometers on the back of the unit :)

cheers

yea its the potentiometers in the back............whatever u do DONT TOUCH THEM!!!
my platters stopped working after turning them and 1 just broke clean off.......this is a really big hardware problem. they should have used better knobs like they used on the mic or fader curve but i guess they were trying to save money. thats a bad idea when ppl payed $975 for it.
DeezNotes 8:17 PM - 7 October, 2008
I'd have to disagree with NOT touching them. They are just as crucial as calibrating SSL when using vinyl. I guess the key to doing it is be careful!
Dj Kabrini Greens 10:35 PM - 7 October, 2008
how do you calibrate them deez?
I havent messed with mine since I got it but I can scratch pretty good on them

Is the point to try and calibrate them to your own movement?

pdidy 12:06 AM - 8 October, 2008
Quote:
I'd have to disagree with NOT touching them. They are just as crucial as calibrating SSL when using vinyl. I guess the key to doing it is be careful!

i here ya an your right.......but i foresee a lot of vci300s being inoperable and having to be returned.
hope yall saved your box and reciept. i should get my new vci this week if im lucky.
DeezNotes 3:32 AM - 8 October, 2008
Quote:

Don't take this as the standard calibration technique, but personally, I play a track and set the platter to scratch mode. I then take a screwdriver and turn the pot (I think towards max?) until the song stops. This [to me] is the platter sensing a "touch" which will stop the song. I then slowly turn the screw in the opposite direction until the song plays again. I then test it to make sure the song will not stop by itself (which may require turning it a bit past the "stop point") by touching and releasing the platter and doing a few test scratches.
Sped 2:52 PM - 8 October, 2008
I had to send mine back after the first week. First the Right jog wheel light stayed on blue even when touchin the platter. Then 2 days later the right up/down fader started playin up. Kept goin on and off, had to wiggle it to get the sound on. The place where i got it from was very good, paid for the postage to send back. Even got an email from vestax jp askin for the serial number. Just hope now that i get one back quick as stock in the uk are very low, and £599 IS alot of money to pay for something that only works for a week.
Dj Kabrini Greens 5:34 PM - 8 October, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

Don't take this as the standard calibration technique, but personally, I play a track and set the platter to scratch mode. I then take a screwdriver and turn the pot (I think towards max?) until the song stops. This [to me] is the platter sensing a "touch" which will stop the song. I then slowly turn the screw in the opposite direction until the song plays again. I then test it to make sure the song will not stop by itself (which may require turning it a bit past the "stop point") by touching and releasing the platter and doing a few test scratches.

Thanks deez I Will take that as the standard calibration technique since vestax or serato didnt provide any other? :)