Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

New Guy...VCI-300 or VCI-100 SE? Really need advice.

regero 6:25 AM - 3 October, 2008
Hello everyone, I am new to this board and to the world of Digital DJing and Controllerism. I have been researching and reading as much as I can to try and educate myself. I have no experience with DJing outside of always being asked to bring my laptop to the party. I have wanted to get into DJing 13 years ago, but didn't have the time nor the money. Now I would like to have a set up that is compact, well built, sophisticated, and will allow me to grow.

The overall feeling I am getting from reading a ton about the VCI-300 is that it maybe lacking in the effects area and itch maybe a little too simple. I just recently started reading about the VCI-100SE by Ean and I am now feeling that it is a possible choice for me.

I am looking for well thought out pro's and con's to each system and/or suggestions for someone in my particular situation. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks so much in advance!
Reg

dubside 2:35 PM - 3 October, 2008
it really depends on how you wish to DJ and what software you wish to use. i myself am happy with the vci-300 and itch, very simple to use and easy to setup. plug and play. not much settings. all i need my pc to do is play and control mp3s which is what the vci-300 and itch do nicely. i dont really use much of fx but i always hook it up to the club's mixer which has an fx module like the djm series from pioneer. its very stable and simple. it exactly emulates using 2 cdj-1000 players and a mixer. thats the vci-300.

if you are looking for a more modifiable/flexible rig then the vci100se with traktor should do well. not as easy to setup as the vci-300 but its still pretty easy as long as you read instructions. traktor has a lot of features packed with it, such as multiple decks and fx which the vci-300 doesn't have. but with this setup you will need an external audio interface since the vci-100 doesn't have a soundcard like the vci-300.

check out ean golden's site www.djtechtools.com, he has found a way to make the vci-300 work with tracktor. so give it a read so you'll have more info before making a decision.
regero 3:27 PM - 3 October, 2008
Dubside...thanks so much for the advice, much appreciated. I guess where I am stuck is...first of all, I still need to learn a ton about just what certain equipment does, how it works, and what is the best set up.
Ultimately, I want to start off small and simple, but rather than purchase something that I will have to leave behind as I grow and learn, I would rather purchase something that can be the foundation of my equipment to which I will later build upon. So, if I am understanding correctly, I can first learn how to master the VCI-300, and then I can purchase another piece of equipment where I can add on more layers of effects? Is there a drawback to this approach? One thing I read was that the effects pad/mixer will be connected to the master out, and so its not able to be manipulated with each deck...I'm not sure I quite understand...which is why anyone willing to help me out would be great. Just want to have a plan in my head of where I can start and where I can go and the pros and cons of the possible choices I have. I know I want to use a laptop and small compact set up, not more than what I can put in...lets say the UDG Producer bag which I've been looking at.
Sorry for the really long message...
Reg
dubside 9:15 PM - 3 October, 2008
we're here to help one another after all :)

lets sort of break this down a bit... basics of DJing are playing tracks on two players and mixing them back and forth through a mixer. this is the standard DJ setup which is the basic principle of the vci-300. 2 players and a mixer.

my current goal is to have a compact and mobile setup which would allow me to perform as well as using full club gear. i am glad to say that it is nearing completion already. let me break it down for you. i use the vci-300 to play my tracks, hook it up to a pioneer efx-1000 to get effects when needed, and hook the out of the efx to a mackie 402-vlz3, a compact mixer which sounds great and has huge headroom. it allows me to adjust my master volume properly without clipping the audio from the vci-300. i also got a headphone amp so i can adjust the volume of my headphones accordingly since the vci-300 has weak headphone volume on loud environments. its the behringer microamp ha400.

with this setup the drawback is i can only get effects on the master output of the vci-300. hopefully in the future serato would be great enough to add effects on the itch program so we could control effects for each deck of the vci-300.

i also use the UDG Producer Bag to haul all my gear.

good luck.