Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Product-request: "pro"/"installation" version of SSL hardware

DJMark 1:02 AM - 2 February, 2006
Specifications/features of this that I would love to see:

- 19-inch rackmount form factor, 1 rack-unit height;

- powered by AC line cord;

- internal high-quality phono preamps (defeatable in case the user prefers the preamps built into mixer);

- capability for sending out either "phono" or "line"-level signal from the "thru" jacks when using turntables (the idea being that if the user/installer makes use of the built-in preamps, they can then send line-level out of the unit into the mixer, therefore shortening the phono-level signal path compared to the way it works now, therefore minimizing noise and hum pickup/cable-capacitance/etc.);

- independent input/thru jacks for turntables and CD players (in other words, four sets of input/thru jacks in total);

- selectable (via either software or front-panel switch) which set of control inputs are to be used (to accomodate user preference for CD's or records, without having to physically change wires);

- both rear and front-mounted USB jacks with a means of selecting which one is active (this would allow for a "house" computer and for DJ's to plug in their own...again without physically unplugging anything in the "installed" system);

- if available and possible, some form of locking USB connector (to help prevent cables from being vibrated or pulled loose);

- ASIO/Core Audio capability to allow this unit to function as a "normal" sound output device (to allow venues to playback pre-recorded sets, iTunes, etc. on the computer during times there's not a DJ);

- accessory port to allow single-cable connection to another product request: a rackmount dual-CDJ-style control surface.

Seriously: if Rane/Serato could make this happen, I think it would not only greatly advance the adoption of this technology but they would also own the installation market.
DeezNotes 4:09 AM - 2 February, 2006
That's a damn good idea.
punosion 12:09 AM - 3 February, 2006
Fantastic idea! You have my +1.
DJMark 12:47 AM - 3 February, 2006
Cool to see others like the idea. I think the potential market goes beyond installers...probably some mobile DJ's would appreciate a rack-mount "pro" version as well.

Is there any features/specs/specifics that I've left out?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Steve W 4:06 AM - 3 February, 2006
Quote:
Cool to see others like the idea. I think the potential market goes beyond installers...probably some mobile DJ's would appreciate a rack-mount "pro" version as well.

Is there any features/specs/specifics that I've left out?

How about building in a simple mixer? Like the MP 4 www.rane.com
OG Supernatural 4:48 AM - 3 February, 2006
Mark, I like the ideas. Perhaps even a rackmount kit for the SSL box to start with. The MP4 seems close to what you are describing only NO use of timecoded cd/vinyl. However, that would be slick to be able to use time coded cd/vinyl with the MP4!
DJMark 11:32 AM - 3 February, 2006
I think the MP4 is a fundamentally different product than what I've described...and for the kinds of uses I have in mind a built-in mixer would be a big disadvantage. Bars and clubs have a range of mixer preferences, and locking that into the interface I described would be counter-productive. For the places I'm responsible for the sound systems in, for example, I've got one place with an MP-44, a couple with Empaths, one with a Rane 2016, one with an A&H Xone 92, and one upcoming that will either have a Urei 1620 + outboard effects or a rotary Xone 92.

One important design goal of what I've described is providing for the full SSL system (with enhancements) in a way that eliminates the need for DJ's to mess around with wiring...this is a huge need as clubs are currently dealing with "the last DJ left everything unplugged"-type drama all the time when DJ's bring their own systems in.
OG Supernatural 9:40 PM - 3 February, 2006
^^^nice post. Provides a good discription of how the feature suggestions would be usefull in real life (club life). =)
Serato, Forum Moderator
Steve W 2:35 AM - 4 February, 2006
Quote:
locking that into the interface I described would be counter-productive

Oh I didn't mean to imply removing the pre-fader outputs. A crossfade would provide an additional mix of the two tracks. Would that be useful, or just an unnecessary expense?
DJMark 2:47 AM - 4 February, 2006
Quote:
Quote:
locking that into the interface I described would be counter-productive

Oh I didn't mean to imply removing the pre-fader outputs. A crossfade would provide an additional mix of the two tracks. Would that be useful, or just an unnecessary expense?

I think both...plus all the knobs on the front panel represent things that could be misadjusted and cause confusion/panic. The faceplate of the unit I'm envisioning would be basically blank, with the exception of a front-panel secondary USB jack and possibly some type of "status" display...it might look very similar to an RPM 22/26, actually.
DJEDE 4:55 PM - 7 February, 2006
Here is a simple fix to those DJs that dont like disconnecting their equipment everytime they have a gig.cgi.ebay.com
nik39 5:02 PM - 7 February, 2006
Read here whay this advertised piece is not worth the money, click ->
scratchlive.net
DJMark 1:34 AM - 8 February, 2006
Quote:
Here is a simple fix to those DJs that dont like disconnecting their equipment everytime they have a gig.cgi.ebay.com

Looks like an induced-noise/RFI/capacitance nightmare in the making to me...bad bad idea.
Lightning 8:25 PM - 8 February, 2006
Quote:

Umm, I dont see what this would buy anyone. If I take my SSL out to a gig I still have the same amount of cables to disconnect from my SSL. If I go out to a gig, why would I care if my rig would function w/ out the SSL?
OG Supernatural 12:58 AM - 9 February, 2006
@Mark & Lightning... That's EXACTLY what I was thinkin'... Ha! Nothing like an unnecessary gizmo to give your system some noise. "The Patch Hummer"!!!
D-MINH 7:21 AM - 20 February, 2006
yeah. that's a great idea.
vidoona 10:19 AM - 3 April, 2006
I like your suggestions mark.....I actually have seen a mobile guy who took the rack mount ears from a wireless mic reciever and attached them to his SL1 and installed it in his rack. All He had to do was plug in the usb to his laptop which sat on top of a shelf built into his rack. This was at a wedding awhile back, so I don't know who the guy is or have pics, but I thought it was a cool idea.
vidoona 10:22 AM - 3 April, 2006
Quote:

Man, he's got a cool 3rd person bio and a neat-o photoshop charcoal pic.......maybe I should buy this thing.
www.djede.com
DJMark 9:51 PM - 26 April, 2006
Hey, I need one of these SSL pro interfaces for a new place opening next month....

Yes, I'm kidding, just thought I'd give this thread a bump. I also sicced the audio afficionados from the Wave Records Tech forum onto this thread, hopefully some of them will have some useful input here.
DjWoody 5:42 PM - 28 April, 2006
If you wanna mount your current SSL Box into a 19' enclosure, you can always buy one of these.

www.pssl.com
maxgraham 1:05 AM - 31 August, 2006
i constantly suggest that larger clubs i play at install SSL box so we don't have to carry ours around, not to mention tinkering around while the dj before is playing....carrying our own and plugging unplugging degrades cables and the box gets beat up...not to mention a certain a list dj friend of mine who forgot his box and had to play from a few backup cd's

it never occured that a 19inch rack mount would make even more sense for clubs to install...i would say this is a top idea
Sean Diamond 5:44 PM - 13 September, 2006
I think this is a fantastic idea!
Mista Cham 2:44 PM - 15 September, 2006
yep great idea, but many years away i would think
Dj Suresh 7:16 PM - 17 September, 2006
perfect idea this will also be grate for the mobile dj also this way every thin stays in the rack for faster setup time
volcanik 6:31 PM - 19 September, 2006
bump. I'd love to see a rack mountable SL box. For mobile DJs like myself it would lessen set up time and clutter. Currently I have to shove the SL box in the back of my rack amidst all the wires, and reconnect it every time I take i out to a gig. I'd be willing to just buy another rack mountable one that always stays in the rack!
DJMark 6:09 AM - 20 September, 2006
Quote:
yep great idea, but many years away i would think

I can't imagine why it would be "many years away"...most of the R&D has already been done. And with the increase in SSL use in the months since I first posted this idea, it makes even more sense now.

The present SL1 really isn't suitable for an install. Among other things, it doesn't accomodate different DJ's using control records/CD's without unplugging stuff...and the jacks coming out the two sides makes rackmounting impractical.

The TTM57SL is a great mixer, and I've both installed it in one DJ booth a nd bought one for myself...but it's missing some "installation" type features and is relatively specific to a certain style of DJ-ing.

The kind of functionality I'm after could be built into an enhanced MP-44 (and I'd love to see such a thing get built), but part of my original thinking was to provide the "pro" SSL version *not* tied to a specific mixer. The overall goal (from Rane/Serato's viewpoint) should be to see SSL used in every club, and providing this kind of "pro"/"installation" interface would go a long way to both accomplish that and eliminate a lot of present-day operational headaches.
grrillatactics 2:24 PM - 20 September, 2006
I like this idea, especially if I were a club owner/manager. Very nice work, DJMark!
Detroitbootybass 10:33 PM - 20 September, 2006
Quote:

The kind of functionality I'm after could be built into an enhanced MP-44 (and I'd love to see such a thing get built)

I'd love to see that too...
DJRodrigoSM.br 3:05 AM - 12 November, 2006
On that not, if you guys are to build a "pro" version of this, something that people will buy and keep, you'd probably have to get some digital ins and outs. Frankly, because many clubs are using those damn Pioneer mixers (hate'em, sound like crap), and now there's this new 800 thing that's gonna storm that particular market, and it's got 4 digital ins. Most new, top-end mixers have at least a couple of them and that's gonna be more and more frequent from this point on.
DJMark 3:30 AM - 13 November, 2006
Digital ins and outs on an "enhanced MP-44" would be great. Besides the input connectivity to CD players, it would allow a direct digital connection between the mixer and the club's system processor (many of which have digital inputs, like Rane's RPM-26z).

We are kind of discussing two different products here of course...I still think a "SL-Pro" interface as originally outlined is much-needed.
Coro 9:42 PM - 1 December, 2006
If this comes out, I will be on the waiting list. I am holding off from buying a sl57 because I am not a scratch dj. I mostly play house. My home mixer is either an original Bozak mixer or my rane MP2016 and for my mobile rig I have an empath rotary. Something like what is proposed would make my life easier and my rig would look cleaner.
Sean Diamond 6:28 PM - 21 December, 2006
A rackmount SSL would be awesome - digital ins and outs aren't required, the standard SSL works fine.
sojourn 4:59 AM - 18 May, 2007
Oops, posted my 2c on this subject elsewhere (cause I didn't search and also had not consulted the index in a while - bad me):

scratchlive.net
cappinkirk 6:34 PM - 24 May, 2007
i've seen an official one in use my boy has pics there is a club that has SSL built in to the club if I can get pics I will post them. it is official (looking at least)
sojourn 8:34 PM - 24 May, 2007
Not sure what you mean when you say "official", but in the pre-57 days (not too long ago at all) there were more than a couple independent McGuyvers who were ripping mixers apart, and cramming a shielded set of SL1 innards into the consoles (both 10" and 19"). Obviously didn’t have the effects of the 57, but.

I know in my mm8z, for example, there's plenty of space for the components. But I'm not quite ready for that level of mod, personally.

I do wonder if any of that is still going on, and if any of it is at Rane/Serato R&D?
cappinkirk 6:26 PM - 25 May, 2007
www.cappinkirk.com

www.cappinkirk.com

it looked real official on the camera but it is still pretty tight
vidoona 2:32 AM - 26 May, 2007
That's a good idea making the patch panel out of universal neutrik slot jacks. Pretty slick overall.
Lynn Sound Systems 7:59 PM - 9 August, 2007
Would be a cool Unit to produce this unit , How about adding a composite / s-video output for the up coming version 1.8 and a way to control what video is on the screen via the fader start triggers on mixers other than the Rane TTM57.
DJMark 6:32 AM - 21 May, 2008
Bumpitty-bump-bump-bump prettypleeeeeeezzze!
Milesy303 11:53 AM - 5 November, 2008
Balanced Audio TRS outputs for a pro rack installation though!
CSR 7:18 PM - 5 November, 2008
I agree a 'pro' SSL rack would be nice--better connectors, etc. The current one really looks like a piece of "home" gear and I'm always petrified it's not going to make it to the next gig. If we can buy everything else in a pro form factor, Rane should think of making a second gen version--even if they want to still sell the SL1.
CSR 7:19 PM - 5 November, 2008
Quote:
Balanced Audio TRS outputs for a pro rack installation though!
Not sure how that would help--how many DJ mixers have balanced inputs? Any?
DJ Bob 5:34 AM - 26 February, 2009
I would buy a rack mount version, with regard to 19" mounting and the panel access on the box itself, a 19" plate would leave plenty of room to set up side by side in and out patch bays..... a little re-tooling at serato wouldn't be that tough.Oh never mind, I'll make my own.
MixMasterMagic 4:52 AM - 20 January, 2010
I am on those ideas 100% since I also do installs