Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

no sound output from any master out or headphones but other buttons work

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Pioneer DJ DDJ-SX
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
swizzel 12:37 AM - 26 April, 2013
I cannot get any sound to come out of the new ddj sx bought 2 months ago. I have tried on my laptop and now my desktop. I have uninstalled and reinstalled all the latest drivers and software, tried new cables and even updated/reinstalled USB (Serato DJ 1.1.2 (11205), pioneer firmware 1.0.5, pioneer ASIO 1.0.1). It worked fine out of the box and last night it would not play at my gig at all. I had to download Virtual DJ and wing it. Here's what it does... I connect as I should, power up the ddj sx and then start Serato dj. At first it says no audio device connected but then it shows up. Everything comes up and I can even see the ddj sx in the list of devices under the device manager. I also am sure it is not the default device in my sound control panel based on another thread. On the screen I can load a track and the play button works but the platter acts weird. If you spin it fast it only acts on the track slowly. The other buttons work when you push them on the ddj sx but no lights come up on the channel indicator nor in the master when you turn up the trim and master and also the headphone out. The odd thing is there is music on the channel indicator in the software but not in the master. I have all the knobs up but here is the disconnect. I cannot adjust the trim or masters in the software. Just like I can't on the controller. This seems to be the only thing not working. I also have tried to input a device using RCA cables to the back into channel 3 set to CD but nothing. My computer is a stripped down HP set for performance only, i5, 3.2 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 64 bit on the desktop and laptop is an HP dv7 set for performance only i5-2450M, 2.5 GHz, 6 GB RAM, 64 bit both on Windows 7 home premium Service Pack 1. It was doing great up until last night. PLEASE help!
swizzel 1:05 AM - 26 April, 2013
UPDATE:
When I have a track loaded and playing I can adjust the trim in the software but not on the ddj sx. I also can adjust the main out in the software but not on the ddj sx. There are still no lights in the master out in the software or on the ddj sx. All the other buttons including auto-loop and the pressure pads work on the waveform, just no output. The slider for changing pitch ahve no affect but I can use the hot keys and pitch bend in the software. The platter acts like it's not in vinyl mode but it is and doesn't matter when I switch modes. Sync button works and will change bpm. Just trynig to try everything I can think of. Thanks.
Megatronman 3:37 PM - 26 April, 2013
Same for me; exactly same problem. Don't know what's goin' on.
Asu 6:17 PM - 26 April, 2013
Quote:
Same for me; exactly same problem. Don't know what's goin' on.

I'll advise you as i did my friend...if you don't want problems while DJing,ditch windows for DJing...i had so many problems with windows when i was starting out.

Buy a macbook Pro and you can have windows and Mac Osx on the same laptop.

Only use Mac Osx for Djing and your problems will go down to alost zero.

Eversince swithcing to a mac,my problems are virtually Nill.

Windows is very complicated when it comes to DJing,you fix one issue another pops up....

For regular stuff e.g office,gaming etc i use my windows 8 desktop.

For DJing,strictly Macbook Pro 15 with a dedicated Video card.
swizzel 7:06 PM - 26 April, 2013
Asu,
Thanks for the reply. I am going to take my buddy's Macbook Pro home this evening and install everything on his and see if it works. If it does I will buy a Macbook Pro as soon as I am done. I was just hoping to get some more $$$ in my pocket before having to pay those Apple prices. I have read through almost all of the threads for Serato and the ddj sx and this problem is cross platform though. I will be sure and post anything I find so others can benefit. Thanks.
Asu 8:20 PM - 26 April, 2013
Swizzel,

You can buy refurbrished which i do all the time,that will save you $300 or so than buying New....same warranty as a brand new one....it's worth the investment...i'm enjoying the DDJ-SX on my mac.

If you do video i recomment this one; store.apple.com

If you don't then this one will do;
store.apple.com

you'll be very happy and macs can last you a good 5-7 years before you need to upgrade that's if you're just DJing with it....i got a buddy Pro DJ still using his 2007 Macbook Pro with a dedicated video card....THAT'S A 6YEAR OLD MAC!!! lol

but with the i-7 cpu + a dedicated Video card it should be good for 5-7years if you just DJ with it :-) so it's money well invested if you ask me.
swizzel 10:26 PM - 26 April, 2013
Back again. Just installed Serato DJ 1.1.2 on a Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz, i7, 4GB running OSX 10.7.5. I tried all three USB ports on the machine and STILL THE SAME THING! I loaded a track on all 4 decks and nothing. I have the switches all set to "thru". All faders are up and cross fader in the middle. I have switched the input select through all the different assigns. Same as before... I can see in the software the level lights and I can change the trim in the software but there is still no level lights on the master out top left with the pot moved up and down. No sound pots work (trim, eq's, lpf/hpf, tempo slider but all the other buttons work. I can scroll through my library and load tracks from the ddj sx. The f/x buttons work on the controller. It seems like there is a disconnect between the software and mixer section of the ddj sx. I am leaning very close to a hardware problem at this point. PLEASE respond to this and help identify the issue.
swizzel 10:40 PM - 26 April, 2013
UPDATE: while I was doing more research online on my desktop I noticed a weird thing. While there was a track playing on the Mac in Serato DJ the controller went into it's "display" mode. All the lights started chasing in the sequence like when you start the ddj sx. Not sure if there is a track playing why it would go to "sleep". Just seemed odd. Thanks.
Victor420 3:08 PM - 28 April, 2013
im having the same problem over here. it seem as if everything is working but no sound.
Asu 12:38 AM - 29 April, 2013
you may have corrupt firmware....download it again and flash your DDJ-SX again.

If it fails to work then it maybe the unit is faulty...call pioneer
Asu 12:42 AM - 29 April, 2013
victor get an i-pod and use an RCA cable in CD mode...then swtich back to the software after that...worked for me the first time i got my SX
Asu 12:44 AM - 29 April, 2013
the SX will go to sleep if you don't touch it in a while....that's like a DEMO mode so no worries there....it's an invitation for kids to touch your controller though lol
Victor420 12:45 AM - 29 April, 2013
Ok thanks will try now. I will let you know the outcome thanks
swizzel 1:59 AM - 29 April, 2013
Quote:

Asu,
So I have flashed and redone the firmware multiple times. I have also tried my iphone and desktop computer to output an audio signal to all 4 channels using a mini jack to RCA and nothing comes out. I assume that the input assigns are hot switching so I can switch without having to restart the unit. I tried switching while the unit was on. Also I have actually tried Serato DJ 1.1.1 today and nothing as well. I am calling pioneer tomorrow and see what they want to do. This is very frustrating as I was left hanging at a gig and I have shows coming up this week. I will be sure to post what happens so if anyone else runs into this. My unit says it was made/manufactured February 2013 on the serial number sticker. Thanks so much for the input and I'll keep posting until this is resolved.
Victor420 1:59 AM - 29 April, 2013
No go. The cd channel without the laptop does the same thing no sound.
Victor420 2:01 AM - 29 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Asu,
So I have flashed and redone the firmware multiple times. I have also tried my iphone and desktop computer to output an audio signal to all 4 channels using a mini jack to RCA and nothing comes out. I assume that the input assigns are hot switching so I can switch without having to restart the unit. I tried switching while the unit was on. Also I have actually tried Serato DJ 1.1.1 today and nothing as well. I am calling pioneer tomorrow and see what they want to do. This is very frustrating as I was left hanging at a gig and I have shows coming up this week. I will be sure to post what happens so if anyone else runs into this. My unit says it was made/manufactured February 2013 on the serial number sticker. Thanks so much for the input and I'll keep posting until this is resolved.

Same here
Asu 12:03 PM - 29 April, 2013
Yeah that's odd,the mixer is a hardware/stand alone unit and should work even without a laptop...yeah,the sound card maybe the issue...call pioneer and they'll switch it out for you for a new one.
Victor420 2:54 PM - 29 April, 2013
Quote:
Yeah that's odd,the mixer is a hardware/stand alone unit and should work even without a laptop...yeah,the sound card maybe the issue...call pioneer and they'll switch it out for you for a new one.

I'm an ass!!!! The trim on each channel was off the whole time. When I read your comment I told myself the it can't be the sound card. So I moved and touched everything, and it was the trim. Everything works prefect. Thanks for the help anyway.
Asu 3:56 PM - 29 April, 2013
The SX is like flying a small aircraft,forget one small thing and you'll be puzzled for days...things to remember....trim,up faders,turning effects off and slip mode off when not needed.

It's ok bro,happened to me too last week,wasn't getting sound out and i was puzzled...i realized the channel faders were down duh! lol

Glad we got u to look deeper,swizzel should lookout for the same issues especially channel faders being up,the main mixer out volume also being up....

What i usually do is i just leave channel faders up,trim at about 11 O'clock and just lower the overall output volume as needed.

It's very easy to forget to turn up something on the SX,some guy even returned it cause he said it was too complicated lol...you get so much pro features for $1000
swizzel 4:45 PM - 29 April, 2013
Quote:
The SX is like flying a small aircraft,forget one small thing and you'll be puzzled for days...things to remember....trim,up faders,turning effects off and slip mode off when not needed.

It's ok bro,happened to me too last week,wasn't getting sound out and i was puzzled...i realized the channel faders were down duh! lol

Glad we got u to look deeper,swizzel should lookout for the same issues especially channel faders being up,the main mixer out volume also being up....

What i usually do is i just leave channel faders up,trim at about 11 O'clock and just lower the overall output volume as needed.

It's very easy to forget to turn up something on the SX,some guy even returned it cause he said it was too complicated lol...you get so much pro features for $1000

Thanks for the input. All trim pots at 12 o'clock and all channels faders up to 100%. Master out is at 12 o'clock. All channel assigns are "thru" and crossfader at center. I have gone through this thing so many times my head is swimming. I just talked with Pioneer and they gave me a certified repair place to ship the unit. I have to pay the "to" shipping but they will cover the return shipping cost. Got my fingers crossed!
Asu 6:21 PM - 29 April, 2013
Good luck...it's a great unit when working 100%
Dj DC 23 2:05 PM - 1 January, 2014
Hi Everyone I have just bought a Pioneer DDJ SX and was very pleased until the first gig I done last night. I was hoping it would be easier to carry as I'm currently used to Pioneer CDJ 2000's and Allen & Heath Xone 92 mixer in a case which becomes quite heavy especially on your own. So the first time last night I hooked the ddj sx up to the xlr outputs to a external amp and noticed that NO SOUND was coming through the master output regardless of the position of the control knob, So i had to use the 1/4 jack outputs on the booth output and it worked. BUT today after having a look at why the unit did not work last night I DISCOVERED unlike the Allen & Heath mixer where the master outputs light up when your line faders are down the DDJ SX WILL NOT WORK ON THE MASTER UNTIL THE LINE FADER IS UP. Hope this helps people with the same problem as I blamed the unit and it was user error lol.