Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Need a much improved analysis engine - beat grid problems

Deejae Smooth 5:23 PM - 20 April, 2013
I'm noticing a lot of tracks that have a drifting beat grid in Serato Dj. These are all tracks that have a 4 on the floor beat in the mid 120s and up and should be very easy for the beat grid to get an accurate lock.

They're computer generated drums so shouldn't be a problem.
phatbob 5:39 PM - 20 April, 2013
What bitrate are the files?
Deejae Smooth 2:55 PM - 22 April, 2013
the most recent example which was from this last week, the file was 44.1khz and 320kbs.

normal, high quality house music track in mp3 format.

I don't run crap in my library; this is a software problem.
phatbob 4:00 PM - 22 April, 2013
So the best thing to do is start a help request, then attach one of the affected files to it so Serato support staff can test with it.
Deejae Smooth 5:49 PM - 22 April, 2013
you're replying to the help request i started...
Deejae Smooth 5:50 PM - 22 April, 2013
sorry didn't proof read that; don't need a support request. there's nothing wrong with my file and there's nothing going on with the current version of the software, this is an issue of how the beat grid is calculated.
Big Fat Duck 6:53 PM - 22 April, 2013
Quote:
I'm noticing a lot of tracks that have a drifting beat grid in Serato Dj. These are all tracks that have a 4 on the floor beat in the mid 120s and up and should be very easy for the beat grid to get an accurate lock.

They're computer generated drums so shouldn't be a problem.

Same problems with a lot of tracks like :
Maurizio Gubellini & Delayers - In Da House
Watchwww.youtube.com

You can listen to it... I don't understand how the software cannot make a good beatgrid. There are only kick.
Deejae Smooth 2:24 PM - 23 April, 2013
phatbob..the duck gets it.

the problem is how the grid is being created. some of the most obvious tracks are not being analyzed correctly.

just an observation and suggestion for a future release.
Bozo 5:25 PM - 23 April, 2013
I analyzed this track on ITCH and it found the right BPM but no grid position (tient salut duck, celui d'af ? :D).
Same issue on Zedd - Shave It (Original Mix) Watchwww.youtube.com
i think this is because there is no low frequency drums on the start (the first kick is at 29 sec)

Otherwise, no system is infallible and IMO I do not think Serato is more buggy than Traktor or even Rekordbox (i tried both and i use Traktor and Serato), it's true that I have sometimes to manually adjust the grid but not more than other software (Serato is your first software experience ?).

I also hope that Serato will be infallible... so let's say +1 :D
Deejae Smooth 10:01 PM - 23 April, 2013
I just posted a suggestion that this is an area of the software that could use an upgrade...nothing more.
patrickd018 9:30 PM - 24 April, 2013
A thing I noticed is that almost everytime I load a song for the first time, the BPM is half of what it should be....I mostly play Dubstep which is 140 bpm 90% of the time and mostly get analysed at 70bpm.
Deejae Smooth 3:04 PM - 20 May, 2013
I have a question for the Serato guys.

Let's say I run analysis on a track and the initial marker is in the correct place on the first down beat. Is each subsequent marker spaced out according to where the marker *should* be or where the actual beats are?

I think the answer is that each marker is placed where it should be assuming the track keeps a constant temp. If this indeed the case, then it should be changed.

Each marker should be placed where the beats are actually located instead of where they should be located. If the markers are placed properly by the software, then the quantization will work properly.

I see some tracks where the markers for the first part of the track are on beat, they get off beat in the middle of the track and then by the outro, they're back on beat.

Just need a little more info from the Serato guys about how the software analyzes and places markers.

Thanks
EvilMondo 7:21 PM - 20 May, 2013
I'm having exactly the same issue with my Ddj-Sx.I mix drum and bass that is usually around 88bpm and Trance that is anything from 125-138 bpm.I put together a 16 track list of Trance tunes that I am currently working on for a mix I'm doing and 8 of them had drifting beats.

I am being forced to do quick rough mixes of my track list to check for beat drift then go into each track and manually adjust easch beat grid untill they are ok.Then I lock the track and move onto the next one

When both tracks are sync locked I get a slight "double beat" (almost like an echo) where one of the tracks is slightly out and then over about a minute the track starts to drift and gradually gets more out of time.
Before anyone says, I do know how to manually beat match and don' t need sync all the time , but I'm new to digital dj'ing and my new controller and want to use a reliable sync lock so I have more time to concentrate on other aspects of my mixing like beat rolls, cues and using samples etc.

Apologies for hijacking your thread.I'm just really disapointed with my Ddj-sx at the moment because I seem to be constantly fighting the software and I really feel like it is getting in the way of my enjoyment.
quikness 6:06 PM - 5 February, 2014
Yeah i am finding the beatgird highly inaccurate in Serato DJ compared to SSL...

Most of the beat gird markers are off of a lot of tracks, and the beatgird itself is lacking compared to SLL

Take back the old beatgrid formula they have SSL into Serato DJ and i will be happy
Deejae Smooth 7:51 PM - 15 March, 2014
as of the 1.5.2 version, I'm still seeing problems with the grid after the initial analysis of the .mp4 files.

some VERY easy drum patterns that the software just cannot identify a kick and a snare.
DjSKum 11:25 PM - 16 March, 2014
+1 I've actually turned it off in SDJ. SSL seemed much better.

H
Deejae Smooth 3:07 PM - 22 March, 2014
Just upgraded to Serato Dj 1.6 and it's still a problem.
Bjoervik 4:26 PM - 13 April, 2014
Hello, I'm new to Serato, i just got my Pioneer DDJ-SZ some weeks ago.

I have been using both Rekordbox and Traktor in the past, and both of them have a far superior beatgrid engine then Serato DJ.

Im very disappointed that Serato DJ cant properly beatgrid even the simplest 4/4 song.
Often the beatgrid is OK to begin with, but drifts off 25%+ out in the song.

In my opinion this issue should be one of the highest priority tasks for the development team.
Deejae Smooth 6:14 PM - 13 April, 2014
yeah I've noticed that through all of the different versions of Serato Dj over the years...
DJ Rukus Vibe 5:33 AM - 21 April, 2014
I don't know the technical backbone of Serato's engine vs Traktor. I will attest that Traktor is more accurate on the first analysis vs Serato. Traktor also seems to take a bit longer in its run. Maybe that's due to the deeper analysis it runs vs Serato.
quikness 11:12 PM - 22 April, 2014
This problem does not affect SSL just Serato DJ which is shit
djchrisL 12:02 AM - 28 December, 2014
+1
Dj Owe 11:52 AM - 28 December, 2014
Learn to do with faulty beat grids.
Yall getting he'll a lazy.
westbeach 9:34 PM - 28 December, 2014
I agree, it seems strange that the beat grid does not align its self with the beat markers

+1 on some improvement
Deejae Smooth 6:15 PM - 9 January, 2015
it seams to do the same thing a lot of programs do; it puts the markers where the beats *should* be instead of where they are actually located.
Jam-Master Jake 1:15 AM - 10 January, 2015
I encounter this with nearly every new track I load in (320k mp3...all quality files from a major industry-leading music subscription service). It's easy to adjust the beat grids in Serato DJ if they aren't right...

...but with sequenced, 4-on-the-floor dance music where the beat doesn't drift, WE SHOULDN'T HAVE TO.

+1
eastcoastaudio 12:45 AM - 25 April, 2015
Relatively new to SDJ, learned the craft using SL12s, switched to a controller due to limited space. Started with Numark N4, loaded with Serato DJ Intro & Virtual DJ, binned those programs to run Traktor Pro 2. No real issues to speak of.
Now have an NS7FX and tried it with the supplied ITCH, the updated ITCH (2.2.2) & the upgrade to Serato DJ 1.7.5.
The NS7 is a quality piece of kit but the software doesn't seem to do it justice. Updated all drivers, closed other programs on the mac and still the tracks won't sit. Use sync more often now cos of the other features to play around with. Noticed that beatgrids on SDJ don't hold for the whole track, have issues with BPMs randomly changing down, up, or both within seconds and completely ruining the sound. BPMs fluctuating usually -20 to +15 of the analyzed BPM.
Beatgrids tend to drift off on most analyzed tracks, and manual adjustments are required.
Found Traktor to be far better at beatgridding with the same library, easier to adjust on the fly and more accurate / consistent overall.
Could just be I'm a vinyl dinosaur but SDJ just doesn't react like it should.
Been reading a few posts about SDJ and not really feeling inspired by the responses.
Denne 10:13 PM - 11 June, 2015
+1
DJ_Jayzon 12:40 AM - 12 June, 2015

The analysis engine works just fine, you just have to adjust some grids here and there. Most of the time it's just a matter of setting the downbeat and then you're fine. Very small drifts usually can be fixed by changing the bpm from ex 97.99 to 98 or 98.01 to 98.

Just show your library some love and you'll be fine.
Deejae Smooth 7:58 PM - 13 June, 2015
Have to disagree with you Jayzon. It works correctly about 50% of the time.

-Some very straightforward 4 on the floor drum patterns throw it off.
-It absolutely can't handle transition tracks so those always have to be adjusted.
-For older tracks with a live drummer, It doesn't mark where the drums are but marks where they should be