DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

What turntable to use?

Dj Young Dylan 6:38 PM - 16 April, 2013
Could i use something like a sony PSLX250H for Serato?
If not then what turntable could I use and purchase for less than 200?
DJ Nightmare Productions 6:45 PM - 16 April, 2013
Hell NO! lol Stanton ST-150 or STR8150 or Technics..
ral 6:50 PM - 16 April, 2013
DJRemixEnt 6:55 PM - 16 April, 2013

lmao...there ya go!
DJ Nightmare Productions 6:57 PM - 16 April, 2013
none of these are less than 200.00 almost no professional DJ Equipment is less than 200.00!!
Dj Nyce 7:08 PM - 16 April, 2013
borrow some money and buy the only turntables you'll ever need. that's what i did. i borrowed money from family, friends and random people. got a pair of used techs and never looked back.
XCAKID 8:11 PM - 16 April, 2013
Never buy cheap man. Cause in the end you will end up spending more money to buy what is good.

Most inexpensive turntable to get is a Numark TTX. I would not go below that. However, the Stanton ST150 or STR150 is probably the next best thing to a Technics 1200.. You may be able to scrounge around for some used Technics 1200. But definitely plan of paying $1000 for a good set of TT's.
ral 8:22 PM - 16 April, 2013
he's been asking this question since november
serato.com

make up your mind, young jedi

hit craigslist or even pawnshop for technics 1200. you can buy 1 and just do instant doubles. save up, then buy another one
monchi 11:25 PM - 16 April, 2013
Maybe he really be researching for it
Dj Nyce 1:48 AM - 17 April, 2013
you can get a pair of mk2's for about $550ish. craiglist is the shit.
MPC O.G. 1:59 AM - 17 April, 2013

That's the bizness right there! MORE classic than the 1200's!
pdidy 3:36 AM - 17 April, 2013
he seem to like asking this question....serato.com
pdidy 3:42 AM - 17 April, 2013
I agree with CMOS, let him buy the piece a shit sony turntable. Thats the only way to teach some people.

CMOS 5:05 PM - 9 November, 2012
Dont listen to these guys, but the cheap shit, learn on it, and realize for yourself why you need something better. You wont appreciate the nice gear without having some crap first to say "Omg that was a piece of shit how did i use it for that long?"
DJRemixEnt 10:38 AM - 17 April, 2013
Quote:

whats the pitch range on that badboy?
monchi 11:04 AM - 17 April, 2013
Probably as much as the TTx!
Laz219 11:55 AM - 17 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

whats the pitch range on that badboy?

Well, it can get down to -80% when the batteries are getting low.
stevie o 12:25 PM - 17 April, 2013
Technics 1200 or quit
eugguy 3:31 PM - 17 April, 2013
Quote:
Technics 1200 or quit

Amen yo.
Dj Nyce 3:41 PM - 17 April, 2013
why are you guys giving this dude bad advice. i'm sorry but those other turntables on the market gemini, numark, etc are garbage. if you want to be a dj and want to spin on turntables there is only one option.

in my personal opinion is if that option is not viable to you then you should either quit or look at a controller.
DJ Nightmare Productions 5:58 PM - 17 April, 2013
Once Again.. Stanton ST-150 or STR8 150's are a good option.. Don't knock them until you try them..
djransom 6:39 PM - 17 April, 2013
Quote:
why are you guys giving this dude bad advice. i'm sorry but those other turntables on the market gemini, numark, etc are garbage. if you want to be a dj and want to spin on turntables there is only one option.

in my personal opinion is if that option is not viable to you then you should either quit or look at a controller.

Wait so because I'm cool with using TTX I should stop djing or just stick to using a controller? Oh okay...the logic these days. I've rocked both and personally I prefer the TTXs better.
eugguy 6:41 PM - 17 April, 2013
Quote:

Amen to this too.
d:raf 9:55 PM - 17 April, 2013
Let's throw a mac vs. pc debate in here just for good measure.
MPC O.G. 10:10 PM - 17 April, 2013
Quote:

ADD THIS TOO: SSL < TSP, SSL > TSP!

Let the games begin!
DJRemixEnt 10:19 PM - 17 April, 2013
Quote:

ha...coming from the same guy wining because rane didnt show everyone how to enable the beast mode easteregg on the 62...lol...priceless-->serato.com

Quote:
Wait so because I'm cool with using TTX I should stop djing or just stick to using a controller? Oh okay...the logic these days. I've rocked both and personally I prefer the TTXs better.

+1000...

dont expect any of these technics fanboys to use any logic

if dude wants to spend $1000+ on 20yr old decks, that need to be modded to be in the same league as the newer, better tt's on the market now. go right ahead my dude...go right ahead...lol
stevie o 10:31 PM - 17 April, 2013
Quote:

Not much of a debate. Mac won a long time ago
XCAKID 3:48 PM - 18 April, 2013
Blondes VS Brunettes.
 6 4:22 PM - 18 April, 2013
Quote:
Fat Blondes VS Fat Brunettes.

Well at least we know what kinda girls you like.

lol

nm
DJ Quartz 5:06 PM - 18 April, 2013
ST-150's overhere.
Cisco El Nino 5:52 PM - 18 April, 2013
I have owned and repaired, 1200s, TTX's, 150s, HTDs, they are all dope. It all depends what environment your using them in. If your more a performance skratch head, pick up a ttx or str8.150. Or for the clubs 1200's they tend to deal with floor vibrations better. If your just in your bedroom skratching and mixing consider a tt500. I wrote a more detailed post on this on skratchlounge and it has other peoples inputs too.

www.skratchlounge.com
DJ Quartz 6:26 PM - 18 April, 2013
To be honest I don't have bass issues with ST-150's unless your sub is like underneath your turntable.

What issues have you seen?
DJ Nightmare Productions 6:31 PM - 18 April, 2013
i run 12 18" subs in my large mobile setup.. and mine.. track like a champ.. never any problems either..
Cisco El Nino 6:40 PM - 18 April, 2013
I see it in the scopes in serato, or sound distorts, just a tad in the sound, but its mostly from a jumping crowd. not terrible but should be noted. but in your setup's are you using the in cases? that will absorb the vibratons, mine were right on the table/surface
DJ Nightmare Productions 6:43 PM - 18 April, 2013
I use mine in cases..
DJ Quartz 6:44 PM - 18 April, 2013
Yep in cases, also on top of the case lids.
Laz219 11:07 PM - 18 April, 2013
I've actually always been curious about that. I usually play on stanton, and have noted they pick up a bit of vibration. The stantons work great but the techs are noticeably better in that regard.
jgreensy 1:23 AM - 19 April, 2013
Denon SC3900s
Laz219 1:32 AM - 19 April, 2013
Quote:
Denon SC3900s

Good thread reading skills.
jgreensy 4:19 AM - 19 April, 2013
Good thread reading skills.

Nice face.
Laz219 4:28 AM - 19 April, 2013
Thanks, I really appreciate it.
XCAKID 1:24 PM - 19 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Fat Blondes VS Fat Brunettes.

Well at least we know what kinda girls you like.

lol

nm

Doing a fat chick is like riding a scooter. They are fun to ride, but you wouldn't want your friends to know you ride em. LOL
Dj Nyce 3:41 PM - 19 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

stop djing
Dj Nyce 3:44 PM - 19 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

ha...coming from the same guy wining because rane didnt show everyone how to enable the beast mode easteregg on the 62...lol...priceless-->serato.com

Quote:

+1000...

dont expect any of these technics fanboys to use any logic

if dude wants to spend $1000+ on 20yr old decks, that need to be modded to be in the same league as the newer, better tt's on the market now. go right ahead my dude...go right ahead...lol

whining btw.

and i could give a fuck about beast mode. don't take one sentence and extrapolate it into something else.
DJRemixEnt 6:57 PM - 19 April, 2013
Quote:
whining btw
ok you got me on that one...good job.

Quote:
don't take one sentence and extrapolate it into something else
ex·trap·o·late
Extend the application of (a method or conclusion, esp. one based on statistics) to an unknown situation by assuming that existing trends will continue or similar methods will be applicable

existing trend: your obvious lack of rationale which is a product of your ignorance of definitions:
Quote:
i agree with unique. i've never been a fan of those knowing about easter eggs, showing it, but not showing others how to do it. if you aren't going to show how to do it keep it to your self.
eas·ter·egg (media)
An Easter egg is an INTENTIONAL HIDDEN message, INSIDE JOKE, or feature in a work such as a computer program, movie, book, or crossword.

and your lack of rational thinking by making an idiotic opinionated statement like this:
Quote:
if you want to be a dj and want to spin on turntables there is only one option.

...was not assumed to continue...it did continue onto this thread...lol

and i know its your opinion... im not knockin anyone for that...everyone is entitled to their own opinion... but opinions can still be retarded when formed based off of ignorance and lack of rationale especially when there is an abundance of evidence to demonstrate how untrue and ignorant that opinion is... and you have clearly demonstrated this ignorance and lack of rationale in both threads.

Quote:
if that option is not viable to you then you should either quit or look at a controller.
so according to "your opinion" DJ NYCE, it would be rational to say these guys should quit and/or look at a controller:

Watchwww.youtube.com
Watchwww.youtube.com
Watchwww.youtube.com
Watchwww.youtube.com

Quote:
if you want to be a dj and want to spin on turntables there is only one option
and obviously by the videos i posted above, your statement of "there is only one tool"... is a complete crock of shit... because if there was only one tool, these guys wouldnt be doing the shit that they are clearly doing, which is DJing...
DJRemixEnt 7:01 PM - 19 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
if you want to be a dj and want to spin on turntables there is only one option
and obviously by the videos i posted above, your statement of "there is only one tool"... is a complete crock of shit... because if there was only one tool, these guys wouldnt be doing the shit that they are clearly doing, which is DJing...

my bad, i misquoted "only one tool"... i meant to say "only one option"
Dj Nyce 8:17 PM - 19 April, 2013
we are talking about turntables, not easter eggs. technics. 1200. only option.
DJRemixEnt 8:40 PM - 19 April, 2013
Quote:
we are talking about turntables, not easter eggs. technics. 1200. only option.

tech fan boys crack me up!
d:raf 9:11 PM - 19 April, 2013
PS3 vs. Xbox 360
DJ Nightmare Productions 9:11 PM - 19 April, 2013
have you ever tried anything besides techs? My bro said the same thing.. until he tried mine.. then sold his techs...
DJRemixEnt 9:13 PM - 19 April, 2013
Quote:
have you ever tried anything besides techs? My bro said the same thing.. until he tried mine.. then sold his techs...

+1

its funny ass hell listening to these idiots
DJRemixEnt 9:17 PM - 19 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

+1

its funny ass hell listening to these idiots

and when i say idiot... i mean in the context of this conversation... not completely judging a persons character as a whole.

DJ Nyce is a technical genius, and there is proof of that all over Serato and ME threads...

but imma call a spade a spade... saying 1200's are the "only option" is just plain idiotic.
Dj Nyce 10:11 PM - 19 April, 2013
i've tried panasonic, gemini, numark and stanton and i'll stick by my original statement. technics 1200 is the best turntable. there's no contest. and i'm far from a fan boy. i didn't blindly jump on technics. i researched, tried them out. and even later down the line i still gave a look to numark and stanton, but they weren't on par with 20 year old technics.

i don't get a cent from panasonic. i just recognize when something is the best.

young dylan i hope i haven't derailed your thread too much and i hope you got what you need out of it. there's nothing else for me to say here so i'm out. #choosewisely #choosesmartly #technics
DJRemixEnt 10:29 PM - 19 April, 2013
Quote:
and i'll stick by my original statement.

this was your original statement:
Quote:
if that option is not viable to you then you should either quit or look at a controller.

not this:
Quote:
i've tried panasonic, gemini, numark and stanton and i'll stick by my original statement. technics 1200 is the best turntable. there's no contest. and i'm far from a fan boy. i didn't blindly jump on technics. i researched, tried them out. and even later down the line i still gave a look to numark and stanton, but they weren't on par with 20 year old technics.

its one thing to say a product is the best, based on your personal experience... nobody can fuck with you on that...

but to tell someone to quit djing because they dont use the brand that you use...c'mon son.
eugguy 10:33 PM - 19 April, 2013
Quote:

young dylan i hope i haven't derailed your thread too much and i hope you got what you need out of it. there's nothing else for me to say here so i'm out. #choosewisely #choosesmartly #technics

Good
DJ Quartz 11:59 PM - 19 April, 2013
The only pair of Tech's I would even consider now are M5G's which I did have a pair at one point.

However, they are not easily attained up in this area and can get any parts for my ST-150's I need.

Not to mention the STR8-150 I have for my ripping station.
DJ Quartz 12:01 AM - 20 April, 2013
I had a discussion with a fellow DJ about this as well, if they will make a ST-150MK2 model, there are a few things they can change.

However it's obvious in time it will be the replacement deck.
DJ Quartz 12:03 AM - 20 April, 2013
However, if someone wants to use 1200's, go hard. They have been around since 1979, and happened to be the perfect design for DJ use by accident.

Just know there are a couple strong current alternatives on the market, ST-150's & TTX1(USB)
Cisco El Nino 7:45 PM - 20 April, 2013
Quote:
I had a discussion with a fellow DJ about this as well, if they will make a ST-150MK2 model, there are a few things they can change.

However it's obvious in time it will be the replacement deck.

I highly doubt that stanton will make a MK2 version, since turntable sales and even mixer sales are declining due to controller sales.

but back to the topic, the dude wants to spend less than $200. The most reasonable choice would be a numark tt500. He'd be lucky to get a 1200, ttx USB, 150 for $200.
and comming from a sony PSLX250H even an tt200 will be a reasonable upgrade

(These are based on ebay current pricing)
1200s about $270 used in decent C+ condition
150's about $300 used with some paint chipping
ttx's fluctuate alot id say $250 for a USB version, if not a USB version you can see as low as $125 (but buyer beware, just buy the one that has vent in the rubber base by the handle not the transformer, and vents under the platter)
*these prices dont include shipping

It all depends what atmosphere hes going to use it in. At home all those are fine.

Young Dylan where do you see your self using this most?
DJ Ta$k 8:26 AM - 21 April, 2013
Turntables are not the way to go. I would highly advise using a MIDI controller. Turntables were only good back in the 80's.

I have been in the industry for over 25 years and I guarantee that turntables are not going to be used for much longer and I wouldn't be surprised if Serato stop making vinyl for use with Scratch Live

DJ Ta$k (copyright)
AKIEM 6:18 PM - 21 April, 2013
LMAO
Detroitbootybass 11:32 PM - 21 April, 2013
Nice frosted tips, Ta$k!

he he he
Dj Young Dylan 11:09 PM - 22 April, 2013
My friend and I are having an argument about if the numark Ttusb would WORK with serato. Not sayin I'm gunna buy it (just got some technics) but would it at least work?
Laz219 11:13 PM - 22 April, 2013
Yeah....
DJRemixEnt 11:25 PM - 22 April, 2013
Quote:
My friend and I are having an argument about if the numark Ttusb would WORK with serato. Not sayin I'm gunna buy it (just got some technics) but would it at least work?

as a usb interface like HID mode? no.

as a turntable with cv? yes.
Cisco El Nino 11:38 PM - 22 April, 2013
like said above, yeah. I think the only numark product that worked natively with scratch live was the iCDX, but its no longer supported. I had it and cant say i was a fan. good to hear you got some technics, or you'd have to quit.... but be careful.....

Quote:
turntables are not going to be used for much longer and I wouldn't be surprised if Serato stop making vinyl for use with Scratch Live

DJ Ta$k (copyright)

LMFAO
DJ Quartz 1:26 AM - 23 April, 2013
Anyway............ :)
d:raf 1:32 AM - 23 April, 2013
Quote:

I used TTX1s with my Sl1 for a few years before I decided to sell my eternal soul to the digital demons of cultural annihilation and start using midi controllers exclusively...
djransom 4:58 PM - 23 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

stop djing

Welp guess I should quit because YOU said so...LMAO
SamDeKyro 2:13 AM - 8 April, 2014
May I ask what the difference between all of them is since you're only using them to control Serato anyway! I am talking about just for beatmatching no scratching what-so-ever.
Laz219 9:26 AM - 9 April, 2014
May I ask why you bought back a year old thread for this?
ninos 1:32 AM - 10 April, 2014
just for shits but i have a pair of 1210mk5s and a pair of 1200mk5s
Cisco El Nino 3:29 AM - 10 April, 2014
read the above, internally they all have different features x or y doesnt have, but if your just beatmatching, and dont need ultra pitch, line out, digital pitch, added torque, etc. just get 1200s. You can walk into a club and if they have turntables, most likely they will be 1200s, and if you dont like them, they will probably sell for what you bought them for. note that prices for parts are going up.

if your using them at home, and want a poor mans solution to 1200's look into used numark tt200s or tt500s.
SamDeKyro 1:44 AM - 8 May, 2014
Quote:
read the above, internally they all have different features x or y doesnt have, but if your just beatmatching, and dont need ultra pitch, line out, digital pitch, added torque, etc. just get 1200s. You can walk into a club and if they have turntables, most likely they will be 1200s, and if you dont like them, they will probably sell for what you bought them for. note that prices for parts are going up.

if your using them at home, and want a poor mans solution to 1200's look into used numark tt200s or tt500s.

Thank you for your poor man's solution recommendation. I am only buying so I can practice the feel of just beatmatching with Vinyl. I don't intend on completely switching from CDJs to Vinyl.
deejayavery 5:53 PM - 8 May, 2014
Exactly. But it looks like Pioneer will come out with their version of a 1200 soon!

Quote:
Technics 1200 or quit
deejayavery 5:58 PM - 8 May, 2014
I've been DJ'ing since 92' and every club I go to, they have the standard equipment, 1200's. They can take a beating and will last forever. Not sure why anyone would want to spend money on anything else?

Quote:
 6 6:27 PM - 8 May, 2014
Quote:
I've been DJ'ing since 92' and every club I go to, they have the standard equipment, 1200's. They can take a beating and will last forever. Not sure why anyone would want to spend money on anything else?

Quote:

It's because they're not available anymore.

nm
djransom 7:22 PM - 8 May, 2014
You can never go wrong with a pair of 12s. Even thought they're discontinued they're not hard to find. I found one of mine on Guitar Center and the other on Music Go Round. I paid $550 total.
deejayavery 11:09 PM - 8 May, 2014
At the end of the day, real DJ's use turntables!
Mighty Dragon Sounds 12:35 AM - 9 May, 2014
Quote:

I use Tonetable iPad app...... Still counts!!!! lmao

j/k
DJ Quartz 2:40 PM - 10 May, 2014
I was thinking about this the other and everyone has been making a big deal about this issue.

At the end of the day if you're using a professional build turntable. Who cares.

If you can get your hands on different makes, try them out and use what you think feels good.

Then be as dope as you can be!
sumoJr 2:45 AM - 11 May, 2014
Quote:
Turntables are not the way to go. I would highly advise using a MIDI controller. Turntables were only good back in the 80's.

I have been in the industry for over 25 years and I guarantee that turntables are not going to be used for much longer and I wouldn't be surprised if Serato stop making vinyl for use with Scratch Live

DJ Ta$k (copyright)

to early to say post of the year?
DJ Irv 5:13 AM - 11 May, 2014
I doubt Serato would dump control vinyl/turntables. It's like printing money to them. Price of pressings versus the price you pay for them. Also, Serato tapped into the inner broke person wanna be rich person in DJs with their limited pressings. Dj's are trying to show you their LYM vinyl like it's a rare Porsche.
Mighty Dragon Sounds 4:35 PM - 11 May, 2014
Quote:
I doubt Serato would dump control vinyl/turntables. It's like printing money to them. Price of pressings versus the price you pay for them. Also, Serato tapped into the inner broke person wanna be rich person in DJs with their limited pressings. Dj's are trying to show you their LYM vinyl like it's a rare Porsche.

Hey... HEY!!!!!!!!

*Runs and hides*

instagram.com
DJ Irv 4:32 PM - 12 May, 2014
Serato figured out the sneakerhead mentality and applied to DJs. Sorry Mighty, wasn't getting at you just sayin' Serato knows how hustle worthless plastic to urban kids 30$ a pop.
djransom 4:48 PM - 12 May, 2014
Quote:

This saying is true, but also have driven those who really can't rock a turntable to use them because of this saying.
DJ Irv 5:37 PM - 12 May, 2014
somewhat related to limited pressings.

djworx.com