DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

An 'top ranking' & good idea for SSL..

click 8:55 AM - 30 January, 2006
I am not necessarily dissing any ideas, although I do think that some ideas around the new 57 went over the top. They were good @ times, but ventured into developing a whole new product than that planned for the 57 mixer. But the following idea is good.

I have noticed that in seeing a lot of people using SSL, whether with Stanton, Numarks, Technics, Vestax, or whatever, the image is becoming a bit repetitive -- the same non-variant SSL control record all the time. (Something I really took noticed of).

I understand that from a business perspective, an iconic image that is easily recognized is good advertising. However, consider the following.

Colored records. The same SSL label in the middle, but instead with varying colors of wax!! (what a sales pitch!) These could be blue, yellow, red, maybe purple, orange, etc. Like the rare records back in the disco era where the part that was supposed to the black 'groove' part was a 'funky' color. It would still become an SSL stamp, but with, as they say, color as the spice of life.

I know, I know, expensive to make, you say. I am not sure, but the records back in the day that were 'groovy' didn't cost that much more @ the retail level. Nonetheless, more specifically, what I would like to know, if it did cost more, say 50% more, how many people would be willing to pay 4 it, adding spice and funk to their life and set up?

Let the polls open!

I vote cool idea..
click 8:58 AM - 30 January, 2006
typo.. **A** top ranking' & good idea for SSL..

(why don't they let you edit around here??)
nik39 12:31 PM - 30 January, 2006
Quote:
say 50% more, how many people would be willing to pay 4 it, adding spice and funk to their life and set up?

I wouldnt, cause usually black vinyls are harder (has been discussed in a different thread) and I dont see any added value for me personally, thats I would shell out 50% more (the vinyl cost already around $25 USD in Germany). Who knows, maybe if they were the same price I might buy 2 just for fun.

One thing which I like about colored vinyls its easier to see the headshell/stylus.

My 2 cents.
nik39 12:32 PM - 30 January, 2006
BTW, I think your idea has been suggested before by some clever mind, but I am not 100% sure. If so, I would bump the original thread.
roctakon 2:05 PM - 30 January, 2006
Bottom Line it does not look professional, it looks juvenile, like slpmats with aliens on em or bongs. Lame. Just Lame, gimmics like this are usually reserved for companies like gemini of American Dj I would not like to see a company that I trust and respect join the novelty business.......
I dont see why they couldent however, liscense their control tone out to some lamo company that could make whatever they want.... I can see it now, a control record with an alien behind two turntables with like four hands two ding and the other two lighting a bong....
If anyone has a slipmat like this let me know because MY "Sicmats!" are wearing out....
click 8:18 PM - 30 January, 2006
Quote:
Bottom Line it does not look professional, it looks juvenile, .

If it looks juvenile why would record labels make them in the first place, and if you werre around back in the day, why would DJ culture love them?!?...

and furthermore (lol).. There are some professionals that don't think a career of a DJ is beyond juvenile...

I don't think it is a bad idea.. It seems like you cats are suggesting that if they were made for sale they would sit on the shelves and NO-ONE would by them and prefer all black.. LOL!!

Juvenile? Freaking LOL!! Have you seen the lightshows that they have a certain clubs, go go dancers, floors with lights in them, clientele getting drunk as hell.. Dude where the hell do you come from? do you even DJ? Do you know that the club atmosphere is different than a corporate boardroom??

DJs yelling on the mic for people to get the F^%$ck out of their chair... Juvenile?! LOL?!

Dude, you need to check yourself...
click 8:26 PM - 30 January, 2006
And if you’re a good DJ you will get work, rather than think you need to mimick high life to get work...

(It’s like a 'high class' hoe who thinks she is different from a street hoe)...

Dude, just DJ and love it, and serve whatever your clients are. If you play in a strip club no-one should disrespect, if you play for corporate wedding, then wear your tux... if you play for a pop star, put titties on you slip mats.

Just because you take an egocentric stance and think mimic champagne drinkers and lifestyles is a iconic symbol of professionalism, don't think your style if the correct one that dominates over others...
click 8:29 PM - 30 January, 2006
Correction**

**Just because you take an egocentric stance and think mimicing champagne drinkers and lifestyles is an iconic symbol of professionalism, don't think your style if the correct one that dominates over others..**
roctakon 12:09 AM - 31 January, 2006
Sorry man didnt mean to piss you off im just not in to colored vinyl, yea I know people like it, whatever, its not my thing, my bad didnt mean to rile u up. It was just my opinion, and you did ask for opinions. Im sorry its just not my style to rock somthing like colored vinyl. I should hve made it more clear that it was just my opinion and not me judging anyone. I was just trying to be funny....

As far as clubs in NY one needs to treat it like a corporate atmosphere and play by a certan unspoken set of rules, if one wants to be successful. Creating an image and branding yourself can be in some cases as important as your skills, and for me colored records would not fit with my "whole thing" I wold like it if this was a perfect world where the best djs got the best gigs and made the most money, but its not, and if I dont see that and learn to negotiate the landscape as it is I WILL NOT be as successful. I've seen some of the best djs in the world lose gigs to lesser djs based on these very things. Clubs keep a carful eye on their staff and how a dj carries him/herself can be just as important as how he/she plays. Im sorry that I was so abbrasive but again I was kinda just making a joke about aliens and bongs, and if a dj showed up to a club where I was doing the bookings with alien or bong or alien and bong slipmats I would ask him/her to not bring them the next week and if they needed to, buy new plain or technics slipmats and invoice the club for them so as to get reimbursed.....
Detroitbootybass 12:21 AM - 31 January, 2006
Rane and Serato both don't rely on 'gimmicks'... this is a professional audio product and should have the appearance as such (which it currently does).
roctakon 12:24 AM - 31 January, 2006
fuck I just tried to post a long reply and it got erased I think, but botton line I didnt mean to be rude, you asked for opinions and I gave mine, witch I admit was kinda just a joke, but I'm just not in to the idea, sorry didn't mean to offend, just tried to be funny about it. I will say that you are right, a solid color controll record would look ok and professional, I personaly would never use it, I like the classic look of the black wax, and its bad enough we are using laptops I wouldent want one more thing to look less like a "Classic" dj setup to the untrained eye. I wish it was a world where the best djs got the best gigs but its not and here (NY) its not just about skills its also about branding yourself and FOR ME color vinyl is not a look id feel comfortable rocking, thats just me though, we can totally aggree to disagree thats part of life....
As far a corporate, negotiating the world of nightclubs in NY has its own unwritten laws just like corporate jobs. Image is as important as skill, for me color vinyl would not fit with my "Whole Thing" so I wouldent do it. But for someone else it could be a good look, I just know my style and thats not it, not that there is anything wrong with it, its just not me.....

Also if I worked in a upscale club and one of the djs I booked came in with some alien or bong slipmats I'd give him the choice of new slipmats next time he djed or finding a new job.......
This kinda shit will happen......I shit you not, if you dont fit what a club has in mind no matter how good you are you will not keep the job.......... I have seen this shit first hand....anyway color wax all good, I wouldnt buy it, but I would not hate on people that did.
, Dont think rane will do it but think we will see the licensing of the making of test records soon, and whoever does it owes me a nice steak dinner for comming up with the Idea, and Click one too..

Respectfully Roc.....
Melissa 12:33 AM - 31 January, 2006
I vote NO. I don't need to express myself with the color of my control vinyl... That's just silly. The Rane crew is too busy making top quality product and upgrading their top quality product- I'm sure if they found that some other color worked better than black they'd do it but just for looks? Please.
t. mallis 12:42 AM - 31 January, 2006
roctakon i will battle u son!!!
m0rph! 12:44 AM - 31 January, 2006
Quote:
im just not in to colored vinyl

I'd prefer to call it "vinyl of color" ;-)
roctakon 12:45 AM - 31 January, 2006
Ha Ha you wish you could even fold my underwear!!!!!

You would show up to work with a T-Shirt with a four armed alien djing and smoking a bong on it!!! T.Mallis would not use colored vinyl un less it was platnum!!
t. mallis 12:46 AM - 31 January, 2006
roctakon u know u want pink control records
t. mallis 12:50 AM - 31 January, 2006
check for roctakon at club home on saturdays he has the ttm56 set up.its serious!!!. but he may be using alien slipmats but who would ever know since the record stays on the entire set...
roctakon 12:50 AM - 31 January, 2006
Ha Ha, naw dude 2002 called they want their control records back the pink ones you have sucker.
punosion 12:55 AM - 31 January, 2006
No color for me. I've never been paid for a gig so I don't need to present myself at all...plain, clean black is just so damn sexy! That and the rather plain label just makes it look clean and simple...if you personify your control vinyl as female, the red trim around the label would be the garter belt. ;)

If I were playing out around here, I'd most definitely rock some crazy tie-dye psychedelic-looking vinyl. The only purpose would be to make me stand out, and with those, Serato and a laptop, I most definitely would.
roctakon 1:02 AM - 31 January, 2006
I am retarded! sorry about the dual posts people!
click 2:38 AM - 31 January, 2006
Oh, well.. i tried.. but for me as an individual, who is not over the top, I would like it..

kind of like this....

www.skratchworx.com

(taken from scratchworx)
click 2:40 AM - 31 January, 2006
i guess different strokes for diffy folks... lol..
click 7:00 PM - 1 February, 2006
Quote:
I vote NO. I don't need to express myself with the color of my control vinyl... That's just silly. The Rane crew is too busy making top quality product and upgrading their top quality product- I'm sure if they found that some other color worked better than black they'd do it but just for looks? Please.

People have to stop being self-centric, as if their ideology rules the world. There are some that play in psychedelic environments, or for colorful dance troops, or that are colorful people period. Not everyone Djs for a 'professional' demanding boss. Some are tablists, some work for themselves, and some work for people that like color or psychedelic representation. It is retarded to think that those people shouldn't be allowed the option of quality gear that supports their taste. Does quality gear mean that those that want something over the edge can only find that with cheap gear? I think a good company would consider the taste of all genres.

And, there are a lot of companies that make quality gear for many walks of life. Most high fidelity gear makers put a lot into design and form and not just functionality. One of the best amp manufacturers once offered colored amps. Does that make the quality of their gear cheap? Have you seen the greatest architects from around the world and their radical designs?

We who like color shouldn't have only the option of buying cheap gear. Quality companies can make colorful gear to in order to include all tastes into their products. OTHER PEOPLE EXIST ON THIS PLANET. Those perspectives that suggest otherwise need serious work.
click 7:02 PM - 1 February, 2006
Sorry for being a jerk, but I just think it is retatrded to suggest that those who like other things should only be allowed cheap gear..
nik39 7:05 PM - 1 February, 2006
click, he only expressed _his_ opinion as this was his vote. I think this is legit, and I think it is interesting to see what others think about this. In the end Serato/Rane's decision will also be based on the number of people who would like to see that additional "feature".
click 8:01 PM - 1 February, 2006
Quote:
click, he only expressed _his_ opinion as this was his vote. I think this is legit, and I think it is interesting to see what others think about this. In the end Serato/Rane's decision will also be based on the number of people who would like to see that additional "feature".

I appreciate that.

but it seemed the opinion polarized itself using another perspective as an anchor. That is different. To say "I personally don't like it" is one thing. But to presumably degrade another perspective by making it synonymous with bad gear (evident with the notion that colored wax is the opposite of what good gear companies will entertian) is what deserves a response.

But it's all-cool.
nik39 8:16 PM - 1 February, 2006
Point taken.

I cant believe anyway that I am defending the guy who wanted to have a "sexual relationship" with me :-D Lets get not deeper into it.
Detroitbootybass 8:45 PM - 1 February, 2006
It is a matter of 'branding', Click. Take a look at past Rane and Serato products/websites/advertisments, you won't see 'gimmicks' being used to sell their products. The general adult public sees bright colors as somewhat juvenile (even if the reality is that isn't always the case). I very much doubt that Rane or Serato would stake their highly-respected company reputations to make a few extra dollars.
click 9:57 PM - 1 February, 2006
Quote:
Quote:
the opinion polarized itself using another perspective as an anchor.

I mean, how the frak are color and quality gear dichotomous??
click 9:58 PM - 1 February, 2006
^^^ dunno why the extra quote bracket thingamigiggy..
click 10:07 PM - 1 February, 2006
Quote:
It is a matter of 'branding', Click. Take a look at past Rane and Serato products/websites/advertisments, you won't see 'gimmicks' being used to sell their products. The general adult public sees bright colors as somewhat juvenile (even if the reality is that isn't always the case). I very much doubt that Rane or Serato would stake their highly-respected company reputations to make a few extra dollars.

Rane is a top company that is recognized for good gear that is sometimes ugly. Regardless, Rane could paint military camouflage stripes on the faceplates of all their mixers and still have customers. The stuff is that solid in reputation.
djrocket 10:10 PM - 1 February, 2006
I'd get some in blue
roctakon 10:48 PM - 1 February, 2006
Quote:
Point taken.

I cant believe anyway that I am defending the guy who wanted to have a "sexual relationship" with me :-D Lets get not deeper into it.

Not really a sexual relationship just a one time thing.....

; - )
roctakon 10:50 PM - 1 February, 2006
. .
O
nik39 10:52 PM - 1 February, 2006
I know, and in the end you're the clinton type:

Quote:
I did not have sexual relations with that [wo]man.

:-D
roctakon 10:53 PM - 1 February, 2006
HA HA!!!!!!!

you are off the chain for an analretentive dude!
nik39 11:01 PM - 1 February, 2006
ITs all good. :) And for the record, I aint down with anal styles either (sexual related).
roctakon 12:41 AM - 2 February, 2006
its cool Im anal receptive!
nik39 12:51 AM - 2 February, 2006
Besides your male, good we never came together. It would not have worked out.
prof. rockwell 6:43 PM - 2 February, 2006
Quote:
its cool Im anal receptive!

translation: he's a CATCHER boys!!
click 7:06 PM - 11 February, 2006
Quote:
Bottom Line it does not look professional, it looks juvenile, like slpmats with aliens on em or bongs. Lame. Just Lame, gimmics like this are usually reserved for companies like gemini of American Dj I would not like to see a company that I trust and respect join the novelty business.......

Quote:

yeah, like color plated faceplates for the TTM 56... LOL!!!

people, the world deosn't revolve around your idealism for the rest of us...

(sorry to be jerk, but must be said when the opinions are not properly oriented)
anewsome 1:17 AM - 12 February, 2006
i like my control vinyl black like me
click 2:37 AM - 12 February, 2006
the sounds like an innuendo... lol
s42000 7:48 PM - 14 February, 2006
Quote:
Quote:

Now, what happens when you have "vinyl of color" on one turntable and regular vinyl on the other one, wont that be regarded and an "Inter Vinyl Mixing" ?
click 10:31 PM - 14 February, 2006
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Now, what happens when you have "vinyl of color" on one turntable and regular vinyl on the other one, wont that be regarded and an "Inter Vinyl Mixing" ?

LOL!!
DJ Yaz 11:23 PM - 14 February, 2006
I would buy a few just for fun.
Dj Ace 1:41 AM - 15 February, 2006
Honestly all of us have treasured that rare colored vinyl? And if click wants to express his image and style using different colors vinyl its cool...He just wants to be different and unique. I think a red serato record with current label would be tight! (Pink for a girl DJ etc) And also into response to the look of professionalism, I doubt any promoter would be to concerned with colored vinyl, Hell most barely even look at the turntables, unless they USED TO BE DJ's.
Dj Ace 1:50 AM - 15 February, 2006
Also I agree there are some terrible slipmats and gear out there, but we are not talking about slipmats or gear...we are talking about colored vinyl. I have a green "I Got Five On It Remix" by Luniz and I'll be damn if I would be hesitant to play it! So lets not focus on Pink vinyl with aliens...Picture a Red vinyl with the ttm 57SL in a Black Coffin!!! Unique and professional in my opinion.
Melissa 7:34 PM - 15 August, 2006
Click, I take it back you're so right- coloured vinyl is way cool, I really want 'em!
click 7:44 PM - 15 August, 2006
Quote:
Click, I take it back you're so right- coloured vinyl is way cool, I really want 'em!

hahaha...

You ever seen Madagascar? There is part where Alex puts Marty's gift behind his tooth and makes Marty examine his 'hurt' tooth only to find the gift, and the Marty (the voice of Chris Rock) says to Alex.. "You alright"..

tanxx..
click 7:52 PM - 15 August, 2006
I mean you (melissa) alright...