Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Legal places to get music video's. Update 2013

Code:E 3:26 AM - 13 April, 2013
This question seems to come up quite often recently on the forums. Legal video from reputable source also have the best results with Serato Video. So I propose we start this thread again.

Being that I'm In Canada I will start it off with this one. It is my favorite, they are great about getting requested tracks put out in a timely fashion and they also just added HD content. Also to note they not only take care of Canada but also the european union.

xtendamix.com

Hey mods any chance we can get the old sticky removed and start a new one with more relevant information. A lot has changed since Josh 1st started it in October of 2007. Also that thread went way off topic and it is not reasonable to ask new people to read all 2000 posts it now contains considering it went so far out to left field.
djpuma_gemini 6:25 AM - 13 April, 2013
US = www.vj-pro.net

Hands down best US pool out right now. Great content and always adding the back catalog

Agree with Canada (and the UK) having www.xtendamix.com
Taipanic 3:05 AM - 20 April, 2013
House / EDM only, now offering HD

www.dtvideos.net

I also agree the top two are listed above - quality & service.
Serato, Support
Martin C 6:59 AM - 22 April, 2013
Hey Code:E,

Rightly so, the previous sticky thread had gone way off topic, so lets go for this and make it sticky.

Thanks dude!
DJ SD1 9:50 PM - 1 May, 2013
Yeah VJ Pro is awesome. I also use iTunes
Code:E 10:04 PM - 1 May, 2013
Itunes might be legal for personal use, but I'm fairly certain it is not for public performance. Also iTunes videos are NOT encoded properly for VJ/DJ use and should not be used.
phatbob 10:21 PM - 1 May, 2013
Quote:
Itunes might be legal for personal use, but I'm fairly certain it is not for public performance.

Nor is any music bought from mainstream stores either. Or any CD or vinyl record you might buy; have a read of some liner notes sometime. But that's why venues pay fortunes to licensing authorities.

Quote:
Also iTunes videos are NOT encoded properly for VJ/DJ use and should not be used.

That is true.
Party GURU 6:49 AM - 13 June, 2013
Hi, guys !
I checked xtendamix.eu its all right, but bit rate is 256.
Is there place where we can buy videos with 320 ?
I used crooclynclan.net but there not always is good quality.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 6:20 PM - 11 July, 2013
Ah, I forgot about dtv too.

Some guys question www.VJStreet.com but I like them and use them to fill holes and they usually have some of the stuff fast and first before many of the other pools. Cheesy mash ups and lengthy Piss Breaks available (at a fraction of Crooklyn's price) and they even have Video instrumentals (lol - where Puma at?)

Some of the older stuff may be questionable quality but overall seems cool (to me),
DJ DisGrace 6:25 PM - 11 July, 2013
Promo Only and ERG offer download services. I would recommend them due to quality and encoding practices (and ugly chyrons), but they are legal and licensed.
DJ DisGrace 6:25 PM - 11 July, 2013
Quote:
Promo Only and ERG offer download services. I would not recommend them due to quality and encoding practices (and ugly chyrons), but they are legal and licensed.

fixed
Code:E 6:27 PM - 11 July, 2013
Quote:
Cheesy mash ups and lengthy Piss Breaks available (at a fraction of Crooklyn's price)

good point to make.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 6:31 PM - 11 July, 2013
Does Promo Only still have skits and "extra" stuff (direct from label) that would screw up club video dancefloor or did they begin to do edits?

Perfect example: youtu.be
Code:E 6:36 PM - 11 July, 2013
every once in a while I want the skits. Nelly - hot in herre. but most of the time No they need to be removed. When I used to get Promo only DVDs they where never edited.
djpuma_gemini 6:48 PM - 11 July, 2013
Video instrumentals aren't necessary.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 6:53 PM - 11 July, 2013
Quote:
Video instrumentals aren't necessary.

^^^Like... (LOL- I know that gets under your skin) We need a Konix type Youtube tutorial on how to attach a Instrumental to a video file. I think i remember but too lazy to set up and try and I forget or too busy when spinning at video gigs.
djcrispy 8:13 PM - 22 July, 2013
Once you have these remixed videos , how do you successfully edit the tags to show up in Serato? I have to display the filename if I want to see which video it is. I would prefer to Track Name and ARTIST and BPM in seperate columns as my music selection sections show up. I have tried TAG AND RENAME but it is only successful on some of the videos, Im not sure why it doesnt work on other videos from same site.

Any advice?
Code:E 11:00 PM - 22 July, 2013
Why dont you just edit the tags in serato? Then you know they will show up in serato the way you want them too.
djcrispy 6:56 AM - 23 July, 2013
Thanks I will give it a shot but I was more looking for a bulk editor. 1000+ videos going to take a while to edit manually
Taipanic 2:33 PM - 23 July, 2013
I use Tag-n-Rename as well but mostly for mp3 so far. I will test it out this week and post my results. I still have to do a lot of juggling between Mac & PC to use it - having issues with Macdrive on the PC and Parallels on the Mac...
djcrispy 2:40 PM - 23 July, 2013
Thanks guys
Joshua Carl 8:53 PM - 23 July, 2013
i use MP3 tag which allows bulk tagging, and can scan your filenames and auto-tag
but the filenames need to be uniform in their titles.
djcrispy 9:05 PM - 23 July, 2013
Thank you Joshua I will try that. My filenames are all structured exactly the same so that should work
DJMark 1:11 AM - 2 August, 2013
Quote:
Some guys question www.VJStreet.com but I like them and use them to fill holes and they usually have some of the stuff fast and first before many of the other pools.

Someone seriously needs to give them a remedial lesson about aspect ratios.

Such a waste...
XCAKID 1:19 PM - 5 August, 2013
My video sources are:

bpmsupreme
clubkillers
mymp3poolonline (not as extensive on videos, but not bad for tracks and for $20 a month you can't beat it)
vjstreet
Code:E 5:35 AM - 6 August, 2013
Quote:
My video sources are:

bpmsupreme
clubkillers
mymp3poolonline (not as extensive on videos, but not bad for tracks and for $20 a month you can't beat it)
vjstreet

Can anyone confirm that these places are all legal in the US or in any other country?
DJMisterE 11:01 PM - 8 August, 2013
These posts just rack my brain! How can you sacrifice quality for garbage. It will be interesting to see how many of these guys go to jail now that the FBI has the legal ability to issue IP traces and execute arrests for digital media piracy.
JDTheDJ 9:40 AM - 14 August, 2013
Quote:
These posts just rack my brain! How can you sacrifice quality for garbage. It will be interesting to see how many of these guys go to jail now that the FBI has the legal ability to issue IP traces and execute arrests for digital media piracy.

So where can we get just a straight list of all reputable legal sites?
DJMisterE 6:33 PM - 5 September, 2013
www.VJ-Pro.com (US & Canada)
www.promoonly.com (US, Canada, Europe)
www.xtendamix.com (US & Europe)
Code:E 6:34 PM - 5 September, 2013
Quote:
www.xtendamix.com (Canada & Europe)

Fixed
djpuma_gemini 5:34 PM - 4 October, 2013
Quote:
www.xtendamix.com (US & Europe)

The only ones to go with.
DJ Blvd 11:19 PM - 7 October, 2013
I'm interesting in video editing, but I do not know where to get legal source material. I am a member of VJ-Pro, but obviously (out of respect for their video editors) I cannot use those videos as source material. Is Promo Only the only place to get source videos? Is there a legal or more direct way of getting source files?
djpuma_gemini 7:35 PM - 10 October, 2013
Can't get source material from PO.
Have to have an inside with the labels or buy old dvds/vhs tapes of older videos.
Gregg R 3:17 AM - 28 November, 2013
Quote:
I'm interesting in video editing, but I do not know where to get legal source material. I am a member of VJ-Pro, but obviously (out of respect for their video editors) I cannot use those videos as source material. Is Promo Only the only place to get source videos? Is there a legal or more direct way of getting source files?

Depends on what you are trying to do.........If you're editing videos for your own personal use, you can do whatever you want with whatever source you acquire.........
Deejay One 3:45 AM - 29 November, 2013
www.Xtendamix.ca (Canada)
www.Xtendamix.eu (Europe & UK)
www.VJ-Pro.com (USA)

All the Way!
djnak 8:14 AM - 29 November, 2013
Quote:

www.VJ-Pro.com (USA)

They also service Canada
Deejay One 2:58 PM - 29 November, 2013
@djnak

I know but they don't even compare to Xtendamix in Canada. There catalog isn't even half of what Xtendamix has so I feel they are better for US.
djnak 8:29 PM - 29 November, 2013
Quote:
@djnak

I know but they don't even compare to Xtendamix in Canada. There catalog isn't even half of what Xtendamix has so I feel they are better for US.

wow...I can honestly tell you that after YEARS of having multiple services....dtv/8th/xtenda/smash ...since dropping everything but Vj-Pro/Smashvisions...I have not found I am missing any MUST have videos....

and furthermore If I find I have a video from xtendamix and the video is released on Vj-Pro/Smashvision I will delete the xtenda copy....

Don't get me wrong xtendamix is QUALITY LEGAL content in Canada but Vj-Pro/Smashvision's encoding techniques trumps any other pool out there hands down....

Smash set the bar a long time ago on encoding techniques and are constantly improving it

ie:
Standard def/Oldschool Video Upscaled to HD (PROPERLY)
The Delivery of vids in 1080p

If you want the BEST quality for your videos Vj-Pro/Smashvisions should be your main source
Code:E 1:59 AM - 30 November, 2013
Quote:
Don't get me wrong xtendamix is QUALITY LEGAL content in Canada but Vj-Pro/Smashvision's encoding techniques trumps any other pool out there hands down....

WIthout them spelling out exactly what they do (so I can copy it) and proving that its different than anyone else I might have a hard time believing it.

Both are good. I dont hate smash. But I found i did the opposite of you nak. I removed a bunch of smash to keep the xtendamix ones. But I should note I dont do HD video's. I have yet to play a venue in 2013 that had the ability for me to output in HD. So I still find HD overrated.
Deejay One 5:51 PM - 30 November, 2013
@dj nak

I disagree, but that's your opinion versus mine so what does it matter.

I have actually looked at the encoding in a file from VJ-Pro and Xtendamix and they are exactly the same settings, so I don't know what your talking about. You obviously have some sort of connection to VJ-Pro or Smash and are trying to big them up.

The facts are in the files and I have compared. Same thing!

Bottom line I want the deepest catalog with the most video's and Xtendamix definitely takes the cake for that one. That's what is important to me.
djnak 7:54 PM - 30 November, 2013
Quote:

I stand by this....

Quote:
Both are good. I dont hate smash. But I found i did the opposite of you nak. I removed a bunch of smash to keep the xtendamix ones.

As both companies have progressed over the years it is possible for this to happen when you compare on older release from 1 service to a newer release of the other...but if the edits are from the same time frame the Smash is more than likely gonna look a little better is it gonna be by much probably not..But you can see it

Quote:
But I should note I dont do HD video's. I have yet to play a venue in 2013 that had the ability for me to output in HD. So I still find HD overrated.

Every venue I have played in 2 years has been set up for HD ...and while a properly edited/encoded 640x360 looks amazing a HD edit looks that much better

Quote:
@dj nak

I disagree, but that's your opinion versus mine so what does it matter.

I have actually looked at the encoding in a file from VJ-Pro and Xtendamix and they are exactly the same settings, so I don't know what your talking about. You obviously have some sort of connection to VJ-Pro or Smash and are trying to big them up.

Nobody is trying to big anybody up just stating facts......Just because you can look at 2 files and they have the similar bitrate does not mean the were prepped/edited and encoded the same way....

I am by no means trying to knock xtenda's product...They have an AMAZING service with tons of quality edits but the fact of the matter is the smash process is better....

It was just stating facts...and that Vj-Pro/SmashVision is a LEGAL Service In CANADA

Quote:

The facts are in the files and I have compared. Same thing!

Quote:
WIthout them spelling out exactly what they do (so I can copy it) and proving that its different than anyone else I might have a hard time believing it.

Im not here to argue...I know what years of being a video dj has taught me.....I know what my eyes have told me....If you can not see the sharpness that xtenda adds on some vids then that's on you......

I signed up with xtenda probably during the first week the were live...I watched them grow and get better for years.... and while they are great they fall in second for quality which in its own is not a bad thing...they have always played catch up with smash's quality...ALWAYS

Is the quality of xtenda edits poor...NO they are high quality files....

Now if you are trying to grow your video library a good suggestion would be to have BOTH Vj-Pro/SmashVision And Xtendamix in your arsenal and pick and choose what edits you want from both sites....
Joshua Carl 8:48 PM - 30 November, 2013
Quote:

I have actually looked at the encoding in a file from VJ-Pro and Xtendamix and they are exactly the same settings

as someone with both professional and personal relationships with both VJ Pro and Xtendamix I can tell you that the encoding processes for these two companies are NOT identical.

setting a bitrate, or other parameter the same in rendering process does not mean the end products will be identical.

both companies have certain accolades that are more than warranted.
Xtendamix 9:31 PM - 30 November, 2013
Some of our older edits aren't that as crisp as they could be. There's different encoding techniques now that there wasn't available back them. That's why we are constantly re-doing older videos with better sources and new codecs.

Having said that, we do use a variety of source material. We do have a deep collection, by far the best one anywhere in all genres (except latin). So with that comes a variety of source material. We can be picky and put up just HD videos, but we use the best source available to us. And if we find a better one, we do it.

Everyone has the new stuff, but the older stuff is what is the key. We focus on all DJs, Wedding DJs, Mobile DJ's, Country DJ's, etc. We aren't just for the club DJ, so we try to cover all genres and formats. Our entire catalogue is based on the stuff you guys requested and we thank our users every day for helping us build our catalogue. We put up what we are asked and do our best to cover requests. So if it comes down to have the video or don't have the video, we'd rather have it. Of course we want the best quality possible, but we take what is available. Content is king and will always be king.

If there's a specific edit you aren't happy with, we would be happy to redo it. Just ask. We will increase the audio settings as well this week to maximize the quality on what we are putting out. There is no rule book on how video editing or encoding works, we are all figuring it out as we go and tweaking to make it better.

It's funny watching you guys argue or state strong opinions, but for each DJ and each member, each pool has something unique that helps. Everyone is part of the game and fills in a piece of the puzzle. All the pools, even the non-legit ones. Every pool has something different so we recommend being a part of all of them. That's what makes Video Djing interesting and keeps VJ's on their toes. Be the best Video DJ you can be. It's good for the industry and good for your pockets.

Again, if there's something you aren't happy with or you would like to be redone, please ask and we will redo it for you.
djnak 10:10 PM - 30 November, 2013
^^^ Excellent customer service....as per usual :)

Quote:

There is no rule book on how video editing or encoding works, we are all figuring it out as we go and tweaking to make it better.

exactly my point...things progress, do edits from 09' look the same as recent one.....Absolutely not...quality has come a long way but it has been a juggling act of watching other editors/company's/research and trying to tweak your own formulas to produce the final product

For legal companies only 2 are really relevant the rest fall way short in my opinion

Vj-Pro/SmashVision
Xtendamix

And while I may think one's quality is superior to other that margin is VERY SLIM ...and some might say unnoticeable in dark rooms from distance but the slight differences are there....Now would I avoid playing a file from the lesser service NO the quality is still OUTSTANDING and both services are untouchable for legal quality....

Quote:
It's funny watching you guys argue or state strong opinions, but for each DJ and each member, each pool has something unique that helps. Everyone is part of the game and fills in a piece of the puzzle.

My intentions were not to big up or bash anybody but just too simply state that Vj-Pro Is available in Canada because it is a great service and if you are looking for legal content both service should be used....

when xtenda has U.S. Clearance I would state that this a must have pool for Americans ....
DJ DisGrace 11:46 PM - 30 November, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
I have actually looked at the encoding in a file from VJ-Pro and Xtendamix and they are exactly the same settings

as someone with both professional and personal relationships with both VJ Pro and Xtendamix I can tell you that the encoding processes for these two companies are NOT identical.

setting a bitrate, or other parameter the same in rendering process does not mean the end products will be identical.

+1
If you think that "Inspector" will tell you anything about the encoding work flow, you have a lot to learn about video encoding.
Xtendamix 3:37 AM - 1 December, 2013
With reference to my point about content, what is valuable to one person's format isn't always important to another person's format. If you are an EDM guy, then a lot of what the standard pools offer may not be for you. DTV may be the best for you. If you are a club or mashup guy, Smash may appear to be the best fit. If you do mobiles, dances and weddings, we might be your best best.

For the format I play, Smash wouldn't cover 20% of what I play. But that's my format. Everyone is different. At Xtendamix, we also try to cover as much British pop as possible and everyone on the BBC charts. Some that won't see the light of day in Canada also goes up because it's big on the U.K. charts. So quality is key, but so is content. So it also comes down to preference and the formats you play.

Join all the pools, support them, make your own edits and be the best video dj you can be. You know what your crowd wants...give it to them :)
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 8:49 PM - 1 December, 2013
Quote:
If you are an EDM guy, then a lot of what the standard pools offer may not be for you. DTV may be the best for you. If you are a club or mashup guy, Smash may appear to be the best fit. If you do mobiles, dances and weddings, we might be your best best.

So who has the best ratchet, pussy poppin' on a handstand, with pit bulls taking a shit in the front yard in front of the car with spinning rims twerking type videos?

Thanks, I'm new....

: )
DJMisterE 1:13 AM - 2 December, 2013
Quote:

So who has the best ratchet, pussy poppin' on a handstand, with pit bulls taking a shit in the front yard in front of the car with spinning rims twerking type videos?

Thanks, I'm new....

Oh that would be us for sure www.VJ-Pro.com
Deejay One 6:54 AM - 2 December, 2013
Quote:

Quote:
If you are an EDM guy, then a lot of what the standard pools offer may not be for you. DTV may be the best for you. If you are a club or mashup guy, Smash may appear to be the best fit. If you do mobiles, dances and weddings, we might be your best best.

Thanks, I'm new....

Hahaha

That would be www.Xtendamix.com & www.VJ-Pro.com LOL
marx 10:08 PM - 2 December, 2013
Canada has been great to us, but now it's time to move on and our next stop has only two letters in it, I wonder what it is...coming sooner than you might think.

#vjpro
djpuma_gemini 8:33 PM - 3 December, 2013
^TJ
vj-pro Tijuana.
Bienvenidos a Mexico!!!
or is it
UK
Deejay One 8:48 PM - 3 December, 2013
Quote:
^TJ
vj-pro Tijuana.
Bienvenidos a Mexico!!!
or is it
UK

I'm guessing the UK/EU.

They already followed Xtendamix into Canada...I'm sure they will do the same with the UK/EU...
Joshua Carl 9:05 PM - 3 December, 2013
I confused.
wasnt/isnt Xtendamix based out of Canada?

how could any company "follow them in" when that's where they are based.

[rolleyes]
Deejay One 10:46 PM - 3 December, 2013
@Joshua Carl

This has nothing to do from where they are based. I'm talking about who was where first and who followed!
Joshua Carl 11:26 PM - 3 December, 2013
Promo only??
marx 11:44 PM - 3 December, 2013
Quote:
@Joshua Carl

This has nothing to do from where they are based. I'm talking about who was where first and who followed!

Quote:
Promo only??

Bum dum tss!
marx 11:44 PM - 3 December, 2013
Quote:
^TJ
vj-pro Tijuana.
Bienvenidos a Mexico!!!

Watchwww.youtube.com
Deejay One 11:56 PM - 3 December, 2013
I was referring to digital pools not DVD distribution since Promo Only was very slow and late getting there. LOL. But yes you're right, Promo Only has been around the longest.
djnak 3:23 AM - 4 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
^TJ
vj-pro Tijuana.
Bienvenidos a Mexico!!!

Watchwww.youtube.com

I need a Xtendz/Snips/Blenx/Blenx-in of that please oh and the acapella 2
djpuma_gemini 8:34 PM - 6 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
^TJ
vj-pro Tijuana.
Bienvenidos a Mexico!!!

Watchwww.youtube.com

I need a Xtendz/Snips/Blenx/Blenx-in of that please oh and the acapella 2

haha.
Dj Mikey d 6:33 AM - 17 December, 2013
I use X-Mix. One of the best one stop shop for radio hits, edits, remixes, club, and videos
Doug Howard 2:26 AM - 19 December, 2013
Side note Gentlemen (and of course Ladies)…

VJ-Pro is now available in the US, Canada... and as of today… the UK/EU.

Thanks very much for your patience. Doing it legally takes time… but it's well worth it.
Culprit 4:48 PM - 1 January, 2014
I think the big thing to remember is it is highly recommended to have either or both pools (recommended) if possible but to really shine in this oversaturated market, your going to have to make your own or obtain killer video edits period.

And dont waist time downloading videos you will never play
professor jimihandtrix 8:29 PM - 1 January, 2014
As I'm in AUS a lot of these sites are of no use to me, can anyone point me in a good direction?
Code:E 3:57 AM - 2 January, 2014
Quote:

I download soooo many waste of credit video's :( I'm finally starting to clear out video's I will never play. Since I bought them I and just moving them to a backup HD I just can't bring myself to throw them out.
Culprit 7:22 AM - 2 January, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

I download soooo many waste of credit video's :( I'm finally starting to clear out video's I will never play. Since I bought them I and just moving them to a backup HD I just can't bring myself to throw them out.

Im guilty as charged to bro but i saw the light recently and have been clearing out gigs worth every month
popnwave 11:14 PM - 3 January, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Im guilty as charged to bro but i saw the light recently and have been clearing out gigs worth every month

SAME here.. it's easy to horde stuff, but that chance of pulling some random request out is SO LOW, it's just best to leave it on backup. I've started to keep a loose rule of if I haven't played it in 2 years and it's not some classic, it gets put in cold storage.
Culprit 7:17 PM - 5 January, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

SAME here.. it's easy to horde stuff, but that chance of pulling some random request out is SO LOW, it's just best to leave it on backup. I've started to keep a loose rule of if I haven't played it in 2 years and it's not some classic, it gets put in cold storage.

Agreed my 50s to 80s crate isnt that big so i dont mind not clearing stuff out from them but my 90s and 2000 master crates still need clearing
Xtendamix 5:36 PM - 6 January, 2014
You can always download the stuff on the fly if you get a request. The sites are up all the time. :)
Whozya 11:54 PM - 16 January, 2014
Ultimix.com is a good one as they are still starting out with all Ultimix and Funkymix Videos.
DJMisterE 8:08 AM - 18 January, 2014
Quote:
Ultimix.com is a good one as they are still starting out with all Ultimix and Funkymix Videos.

Excellent quality and precision!
nojretlas 2:55 PM - 24 January, 2014
Isn't VJ-Pro very expensive compared to others?
nojretlas 2:58 PM - 24 January, 2014
I have been getting some quality stuff from Videotoolz 2.0
JDTheDJ 7:56 PM - 24 January, 2014
Vj-Pro - is not expensive and you can pick and choose - the smash vid guys are amazing best quality etc. Also, some ultimix versions are popping up on there too.

With Ultimix & Funkymix don't you have to be a subscription member to get their videos?
Whozya 1:13 AM - 25 January, 2014
Yes you do. It will cost you roughly $20 for their VIP subscription per month.
Harvey Al Dante 6:57 PM - 25 January, 2014
Am i allowed to rip youtube viddy's and make my own edits to perform them live?
Code:E 7:10 PM - 25 January, 2014
Quote:

Being as your not in the US or Canada, I can t say for sure. But its safe to assume HELL NO. Plus your going to get crappy quality video by doing that.
popnwave 7:24 PM - 25 January, 2014
Quote:

It's not "legal" but I think 90% of people making remix videos right now are using 720/1080/4K videos off youtube to make them.
Code:E 8:34 PM - 25 January, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

It's not "legal" but I think 90% of people making remix videos right now are using 720/1080/4K videos off youtube to make them.

Really its that high? All the content creators on here make it sound like they all get there video right from the labels.
popnwave 8:43 PM - 25 January, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Really its that high? All the content creators on here make it sound like they all get there video right from the labels.

That's what they want you to think too. There are many sources of "masters" these days though, so they may also get it from a promoter, the artist themselves, a director, et al before the label actually coughs it up. I still think most of the people are just saying that to seem as though they are more legit. Video remixes are no different than old school whitelabel remixes. It's still illegal but I personally don't see much wrong as long as you are truly promoting the artist (and hey, yourself as a good VDJ who picks great tracks) and not -just- reselling them.
Code:E 12:15 AM - 26 January, 2014
Makes sense. I would agree, I hate the way crooklyn clan lays it out, makes me think the VJ is the artist. The VJ who cut up the original video, added more content to it and lined it all back up with a remix deserves his fair share of the credit. I just though they where getting the content from labels and such, but I get that they would just get the content off vimeo or youtube half the time.
popnwave 1:41 AM - 26 January, 2014
Quote:
Makes sense. I would agree, I hate the way crooklyn clan lays it out, makes me think the VJ is the artist. The VJ who cut up the original video, added more content to it and lined it all back up with a remix deserves his fair share of the credit. I just though they where getting the content from labels and such, but I get that they would just get the content off vimeo or youtube half the time.

I won't even start on how much I detest the naming scheme Crooklyn uses. I stopped buying stuff from there because I can't tell wtf they are remixing half the time.
Code:E 2:44 AM - 26 January, 2014
Quote:
I stopped buying stuff from there because I can't tell wtf they are remixing half the time.

Same.
Joshua Carl 4:02 AM - 26 January, 2014
Reguardless if your source you should always inspect it's parameters to see what's really goin in. (To avoid a legal discussion )
But from an editors perspective, speaking on particulars.
I've been sent 720p videos from remixers who used YouTube and the OG rip was clearly uploaded at an inferior bitrate. And then from there dumbed down even more.

Ie the a/r if the file is widescreen 1280x720 but it's at 2000kbr
Which is even lower than the minimum for a good 640x360 file
JDTheDJ 11:06 PM - 27 January, 2014
What happened to the title of this thread - Let's look for legitimate places to get videos = not youtube as it youtube is not legal if you read the fine print etc. We are not going into the hours and hours that the video remixers put into the videos. This is where to GET videos thread
Code:E 6:24 AM - 28 January, 2014
Ok to sum up this thread then and to be back on topic.

Xtendamix.com & www.vj-pro.net are the best and most legal... Promo Only is also in there but...

many others like:
bpmsupreme
clubkillers
mymp3poolonline
vjstreet

Can fill in holes and may or may not be legal.....

I'm sure I missed a few in the others category. JDTheDJ care to fill in some more.
Culprit 8:15 AM - 28 January, 2014
I also use and love clubkillers for my gaps
JDTheDJ 11:31 AM - 28 January, 2014
Quote:

Xtendamix.com & www.vj-pro.net are the best and most legal... Promo Only is also in there but...

many others like:
bpmsupreme
clubkillers
mymp3poolonline
vjstreet

I'm sure I missed a few in the others category. JDTheDJ care to fill in some more.

Well said, and keep in mind some and a lot vary per country - may or may not be legal but they do have the DJ disclaimer...

and reminder smashvids are now vj pro

there is also

Smash vids/vj pro
Promo Only
Crooklynn Clan
Virtualremixes
Videotoolz
Master Mix
ERG
Top Hits USA
TM Century
clubdjvideos.com
djvideosource.com

with all the ones out there be aware of quality, research, see how long they have been going etc. I can tell you the history of so much - and we are lucky it's gotten easier to get videos - I use to spend $125 on a videotape from Wolfram in the 90s :-)
Taipanic 3:37 PM - 28 January, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

many others like:
bpmsupreme
clubkillers
mymp3poolonline
vjstreet

Well said, and keep in mind some and a lot vary per country - may or may not be legal but they do have the DJ disclaimer...

and reminder smashvids are now vj pro

there is also

Smash vids/vj pro
Promo Only
Crooklynn Clan
Virtualremixes
Videotoolz
Master Mix
ERG
Top Hits USA
TM Century
clubdjvideos.com
djvideosource.com

with all the ones out there be aware of quality, research, see how long they have been going etc. I can tell you the history of so much - and we are lucky it's gotten easier to get videos - I use to spend $125 on a videotape from Wolfram in the 90s :-)

Also DT Videos for EDM.

Used to spend that crazy money for Wolfram, RockAmerica & Telegenics videos in the late 80's, early 90's too - plus $5.00-$15.00 per 12" Single.
Anush 10:33 PM - 8 February, 2014
Hi Gents,

I just got the tried the demo mode for Serato Video and love it now i am looking to purchase Legal Videos to play at gigs , but no companies seem to let any Australian join as a member can anyone recommend one who does? Once i find a company who can give me membership i will be more than happy to purchase Serato Video.

Your help is appreciated.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 4:06 PM - 9 February, 2014
Quote:
no companies seem to let any Australian join as a member can anyone recommend one who does?

Not wanting to open the can of worms about legality since it is not "blessed" like the forum favorites vjpro and xtenda but did you try www.vjstreet.com

It may get you started until the big two above become available in your country.

(Mention me as a referral, I could use a extra credit or two for the referral - lol)
Anush 11:24 PM - 9 February, 2014
done thank you Art Pumping.. Shame about promo only i really like there stuff from what i have seen.

i am already on to Xtenda.
Anush 11:24 PM - 9 February, 2014
I will mention your name
JDTheDJ 8:30 AM - 10 February, 2014
Australia - should have the best vids - and I had some when I was down there but considering most of the technology original base for screenplay, Serato, and many other programs you should have a lot Email me and I will get you hooked up - I am sure you can even get Promo Only
mrmac 7:24 AM - 5 March, 2014
I too would love to know what is available to us here in Australia.
JDTheDJ 12:10 AM - 6 March, 2014
I would like to know what's in Australia, too! I know nightlife entertainment originally came from Australia which was one of the very first video services ever. The technology behind many of the video services was actually started both in Australia and New Zealand(Yes, I know you guys don't get a long - pretty funny though).
Stressless Steve 9:31 PM - 15 April, 2014
I see XtendaMix offers unrestricted downloads for only €52,- a month. Don't get me wrong, it's a shitload of money, but having to start a collection from zip to a bunch for only that fee isn't that much.

What I'm wondering; is it frowned upon if I only sign up for one month, download a couple hundred of vid's (newest pop to a lot of dance classics and 70's/80's/90's and would it be okay if I did this like three or four times a year?

I don't gig a lot as a VJ so I don't want to invest a shitload of money, but I do want to be able to VJ some parties.
Xtendamix 10:49 PM - 15 April, 2014
It's not unrestricted, €52 will get you 100 downloads and a month to download them. You can cancel when you want, so you could come and go as you please, it's up to you
djjammagic 6:18 PM - 18 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
no companies seem to let any Australian join as a member can anyone recommend one who does?

Not wanting to open the can of worms about legality since it is not "blessed" like the forum favorites vjpro and xtenda but did you try www.vjstreet.com

It may get you started until the big two above become available in your country.

(Mention me as a referral, I could use a extra credit or two for the referral - lol)

Stay tuned to www.djjammagic.com there will be quality videos at reasonable prices....coming soon
JDTheDJ 10:20 PM - 18 April, 2014
What special Australian VJ groups are there
DJ DisGrace 9:17 PM - 20 April, 2014
Quote:
Stay tuned to [link removed] there will be quality videos at reasonable prices....coming soon

Seems legit.
pokerfacenews.com
devohb 6:37 PM - 27 April, 2014
NEED VIDEOS CLICK HERE LOW MEMBERSHIP

[link removed]
Code:E 7:00 PM - 27 April, 2014
Well this seems like spam ^^^^ Anyone care to comment on if they are legal or not? I'm going ot guess no since they are spamming threads.
DJ DisGrace 8:46 PM - 27 April, 2014
Quote:
Well this seems like spam ^^^^ Anyone care to comment on if they are legal or not? I'm going ot guess no since they are spamming threads.

You may remember them by their old name.... 8th Wonder
DJMark 7:44 PM - 28 April, 2014
Doesn't reporting posts work anymore?
devohb 11:20 PM - 28 April, 2014
Ban who? I'm not promoting nothing I just suggested a link and on top of I see people promoting all kind of links like MIX EMERG so what's up with that? So how you gonna ban me...and it's a lot of haters on here ...aka dj mark

I spend a lot of money with Serato !!!!
Code:E 2:21 AM - 29 April, 2014
Quote:
Ban who?

You. If you really don't work for them than fine.
Quote:
I just suggested a link and on top of I see people promoting all kind of links like MIX EMERG so what's up with that?

Mix Emergency is Legal, Known to be legal and has an outstanding reputation in the industry. Did you read the title of the thread?
Legal places to get music video's. Update 2013

Quote:
So how you gonna ban me...

We won't, serato will for breaking a rule (Rules #3 to be exact) which admittedly we are walking VERY close with this thread already.

devohb you post came across as spamming. If you were just posting an option but didn't know they are a shady company in the past who has spammed this forum and is known to not be legal, then no harm done, and now you know.
Joshua Carl 2:45 AM - 29 April, 2014
Also mix emergency is officially supported by SeRato.

I
djnak 6:33 AM - 29 April, 2014
Nobody is spamming m.e. Stuff just truthfully answering question ... U are blatantly advertising a shitty service and telling lies... If seen edits from them with cbs logos in the vid ... Enough said
Joshua Carl 2:06 PM - 29 April, 2014
Never mind the jacked up parameters that cause your shit to crash.
I will say there are a FEW, and very few editors on there that are good.
So much so, that they should move on.

But for the most part, it's a total flea market
Buyer beware.
DJ Icce 10:17 PM - 16 May, 2014
i get all my latin videos on www.bpmlatino.com they are dope! 20 bucks a month and they have a big selection uploads twice a week cant get any better!! but im always open to any new sources anyone have others they wanna share?
ClubBusta 8:32 PM - 20 May, 2014
and another lame ass bootleg heard from. latin? i go to latinos unidos record pool like every other vj with a brain. same place your dump probably steal their videos from. lol!!! at least there I know my credit card won't end up for sale on some russian thug site. take your spam someplace else.
vjTofi 11:49 PM - 26 May, 2014
Quote:
and another lame ass bootleg heard from. latin? i go to latinos unidos record pool like every other vj with a brain. same place your dump probably steal their videos from. lol!!! at least there I know my credit card won't end up for sale on some russian thug site. take your spam someplace else.

Not spamming over here :P but there's another cool site for latin stuff called latinbeatz.net
djpuma_gemini 7:58 PM - 4 June, 2014
SUBSTANCE 1:26 AM - 7 July, 2014
so which are the international pools?
Code:E 7:23 PM - 8 July, 2014
Quote:

No such thing. You need to find pools legal in your own country.
Culprit 12:07 AM - 9 July, 2014
Quote:

Your best bet is to check out vj-pro.net and xtendamix.com and see if they cover your territory.
Serato, Support
Karl Y 8:43 PM - 31 October, 2014
serato.com

🎉
DJ Blvd 8:47 PM - 31 October, 2014
That's awesome Karl, but they still aren't available in the US.
Serato, Support
Karl Y 8:48 PM - 31 October, 2014
www.xtendamix.com

unfortunately true.
they are working on that though ;)
Culprit 12:53 AM - 2 November, 2014
👍👍👍
westell54 4:25 PM - 21 November, 2014
I hope so. I registered as soon as I got the email. Sounds interesting...
Joe Fresh 11:51 PM - 28 November, 2014
Still waiting for U.S. availability...
seratouser 2:48 PM - 14 January, 2015
Hello VJ's

i don't know if this is any good for VJ's, but...

maybe the timelapses from my weather camera make good blurry moving background textures?* you can browse the whole archive here: weather.hacked.jp (it's just a vhost on my testserver, you won't get hacked).

if you wanna download a big bulk of files, say, over 500mb's drop me a line first, so i can provide faster download rates. let me know which months you need, and i'll zip it and place it on a faster server for you.

* you are free to use weather camera material in your shows/projects/experiments, commercial or non-commercial is both ok, as long as the material is an _addition_ to your composition. credit is not neccessary, but is highly appreciated, and a link to etrusci.org is enough.
James Falk 8:40 PM - 24 March, 2015
Quote:
Itunes might be legal for personal use, but I'm fairly certain it is not for public performance. Also iTunes videos are NOT encoded properly for VJ/DJ use and should not be used.

Itunes IS approved for Canadian dj's to use. Has been this way for 5 years now.

www.connectmusic.ca

Current restricted list for all DJ's across Canada:

www.connectmusic.ca
James Falk 8:45 PM - 24 March, 2015
use this suffix at the end of www.connectmusic.ca for itunes

/disc-jockeys/connect-music-licensing-approved-music-sources.aspx

and this for restricted artists

/media/1012/restr.%20artist%20audio%20video%20-%20april%202013.pdf

The suffixes disappear for some reason when posted here.
Code:E 10:15 PM - 24 March, 2015
Quote:
use this suffix at the end of www.connectmusic.ca for itunes

/disc-jockeys/connect-music-licensing-approved-music-sources.aspx

and this for restricted artists

/media/1012/restr.%20artist%20audio%20video%20-%20april%202013.pdf

The suffixes disappear for some reason when posted here.

It disappear but the link still works.
Code:E 10:16 PM - 24 March, 2015
Is connect the new AVLA?
Code:E 10:20 PM - 24 March, 2015
This is a great resource for Canadian to be sure there content it legal. www.connectmusic.ca
James Falk 10:30 PM - 24 March, 2015
Quote:
Is connect the new AVLA?

Connect is the new AVLA. Same office, same staff, new name. Change happened just over a year ago.
Code:E 10:35 PM - 24 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Is connect the new AVLA?

Connect is the new AVLA. Same office, same staff, new name. Change happened just over a year ago.

I heard it changed but I never looked into the new company. It's such a fucking joke anyway. Nobody should ever pay there "DJ Licence" fee. Well almost no one. As long as your paying for you music from legit sources your covered.

Those AVLA guys are crook's, they will put shady shit on you to try and get you to incriminate yourself well at a gig then hand you a fine.
James Falk 11:31 PM - 24 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Is connect the new AVLA?

I heard it changed but I never looked into the new company. It's such a fucking joke anyway. Nobody should ever pay there "DJ Licence" fee. Well almost no one. As long as your paying for you music from legit sources your covered.

Those AVLA guys are crook's, they will put shady shit on you to try and get you to incriminate yourself well at a gig then hand you a fine.

Couple of notes regarding bolded:

-you always need an Conect license to perform, however if using a paid subscription based service (Xtendamix for example) they pay your Connect fees for you.

-those that do pay Connect fees on top of their Xtendamix accounts, receive bonus credits. Talk to Mark if this isn't currently the case for you.

-if you're ever approached by someone claiming they are from the AVLA, they are most likely not. Connect does not have anyone working from them anywhere in Canada, other than their corporate office. The person appraoching you is a private investigators hired to do this for them & if you've been approached you are likely on their radar due to a complaint, likely from a competitor. DJ's are rarely ever "carded" in Canada; if you have you're likely doing something wrong or are working within a venue targeted due to complaints.

-Connect (AVLA) are far from crooks.....although they are lawyers (lol). This agency has VERY deep ties to Canada's music industry & work hand in hand with the labels.

If you ever have licensing questions feel free to PM me. I was heavily involved in this aspect of the business for many years in my region.
Code:E 11:43 PM - 24 March, 2015
Quote:
-those that do pay Connect fees on top of their Xtendamix accounts, receive bonus credits. Talk to Mark if this isn't currently the case for you.

Mark at where? I know many Marks

Quote:
The person appraoching you is a private investigators hired to do this for them & if you've been approached you are likely on their radar due to a complaint,

I have never been personally approached. Just some good friends have.

Quote:
If you ever have licensing questions feel free to PM me. I was heavily involved in this aspect of the business for many years in my region.

Thank you very much. The website seems to be contradictory in some places with regards to the way things work. I will hit you up if I have any questions.
James Falk 12:28 AM - 25 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Mark. Owns Xtendamix Canada.
Code:E 12:57 AM - 25 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Mark. Owns Xtendamix Canada.

Oh yes. He's great. Helps me out when ever I have questions.
DJ Marv the Maverick 9:33 AM - 28 April, 2015
Kindly point me in the direction legal places to get video remixes. I am subscribed to smashvision and already browsed through xtendamix' catologue, but cant seem to find a decent amount of hype/remixes/party breaks videos.

I am interested in subscription based ones like smashvision.

Regards
Hitman303 3:40 PM - 28 April, 2015
Quote:
Kindly point me in the direction legal places to get video remixes. I am subscribed to smashvision and already browsed through xtendamix' catologue, but cant seem to find a decent amount of hype/remixes/party breaks videos.

Regards

for hype/remixes/party breaks your best bet is probably crooklynclan.net

smashvidz and xtendamix are the two top ones for sure
Code:E 5:04 PM - 28 April, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Regards

for hype/remixes/party breaks your best bet is probably crooklynclan.net

smashvidz and xtendamix are the two top ones for sure

+1

Not really anyone in any pool any where has " hype/remixes/party breaks" you need to buy them individually off of crooklyn clan.
Culprit 5:46 PM - 28 April, 2015
Yeah, due to licensing issues it wouldnt be possible for them to distribute and take on the legal responsibility.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 7:33 PM - 28 April, 2015
Quote:

Regards

You could also take a peek at www.vjstreet.com - they have a credit based system somewhat like the others.

Hit the genres drop down and look under remixes, trap, mash ups or some others, They posted a kinda cute mash up of Uptown Funk meets Zepplin - Whole Lotta Love today, Quite a bit of stuff like that if you look along with the party breaks you are looking for.

Probably MUCH cheaper than crooklyn - especially if you are looking for or play a bunch of that type of stuff.
DJ Marv the Maverick 10:28 AM - 30 April, 2015
Many thanks.
DJ Conejo 10:04 PM - 7 August, 2015
Bonjour, j'ai acheté la version vidéo mon compte est débité mais je n'ai pas reçu le code. !
Joshua Carl 10:53 PM - 7 August, 2015
vous avez au message serato directement ou créer une rubrique d'aide

serato.com
Joe Fresh 10:55 PM - 7 August, 2015
Smashvision
Club Killers
Xtendamix (hopefully soon in the U.S.)
Jim Davis Productions 11:38 AM - 3 September, 2015
Can anyone comment (with some authority) if BPMSupreme is legit or not? I wanna say that back in 2012-2013 when they still offered loaded hard drives they obviously weren't legit, but it seems like they may have cleaned up their act. Also, their videos look great for 360p - better than some of the obviously legit guys like Top Hits USA/RPM (garbage even in HD) and ERG. And their website's design is respectable.

(I should note that I'm a now Smashvision subscriber for video and TM Studios Primecuts for music, but back when I was starting out a few years ago, I didn't know better!)
Culprit 5:43 PM - 3 September, 2015
not sure about bpmsupreme, depends on the type of music your looking for really. If you have smashvission then your already with the elite quality wise. I'd recommend the following

DJCity
Clubkillers
Xtendamix, if your International

also good ol crate digging (tons of searching online) and listening to new music is pretty much irreplaceable to this day. I always hear songs and find tunes that sometimes take months or.. sometimes never show up on a service until its a big hit. This is obviously the norm though..
Jim Davis Productions 10:49 PM - 3 September, 2015
I do weddings so crate digging isn't usually necessary. People want to hear what they already know at those things... the one caveat is finding a good remix of a hit song that isn't danceable, where the remix doesn't alter the song drastically... that requires some digging at times.

I had BPM Supreme back when I started and dropped it after about a year, just wondering if they went legit or not. I'm thinking not...

Definitely sticking with SmashVision on the video side.
Culprit 2:44 AM - 4 September, 2015
for all that wedding stuff i'd say the good ol remix sites that worked since back in the days man..

I am not sure what is still up to date, but the best are usually the remix services. I havent touched a remix service since 2008, but volumes of stuff I dug up have always saved me..

Classic Party Rockers, Fillin Tha Gap, Full Tilt, Funky Mix, Lethal Weapon, Mixshow Ingredients, R&B Hitz, Select Mix, Strictly The Best, Tha Hitz, Ultimix, X-Mix.

Not sure whats still alive or kept up to date.. but those are the winners for sure for me.
Culprit 2:44 AM - 4 September, 2015
anything after that 2008, smashvission or dj city is all I ever really need for the current poppy stuff.
djkeebler 10:03 PM - 19 October, 2015
vjstreet.com
bpmsupreme.com
Code:E 10:57 PM - 19 October, 2015
Quote:
vjstreet.com
bpmsupreme.com

Pretty sure it's been said niether of those are "legal"
Culprit 5:12 PM - 20 October, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
vjstreet.com
bpmsupreme.com

Pretty sure it's been said niether of those are "legal"

agreed
DJMark 8:50 PM - 22 October, 2015
vjstreet's quality was HORRIBLE the last time I checked. Lots of bad edits, bad sound quality, screwed up aspect ratio.
Culprit 7:53 AM - 23 October, 2015
Quote:
vjstreet's quality was HORRIBLE the last time I checked. Lots of bad edits, bad sound quality, screwed up aspect ratio.

there is no quality control over there.
KdjLeon 8:55 AM - 8 February, 2016
any good video sources in UK (with uk play Licence included?? )
Serato, Support
Karl Y 10:29 AM - 8 February, 2016
KdjLeon 11:19 AM - 8 February, 2016
Quote:
serato.com

Thanks Karl Y

is their any more??
popnwave 10:18 PM - 8 February, 2016
Quote:
any good video sources in UK (with uk play Licence included?? )

UK has Promo Only, Xtendamix, and VJ-Pro/Smashvidz as well as one of the smaller ones, The Videopool.
KdjLeon 4:45 PM - 27 February, 2016
thank you :)
DJ Duben De Fresh 11:03 PM - 2 April, 2016
Quote:
Once you have these remixed videos , how do you successfully edit the tags to show up in Serato? I have to display the filename if I want to see which video it is. I would prefer to Track Name and ARTIST and BPM in seperate columns as my music selection sections show up. I have tried TAG AND RENAME but it is only successful on some of the videos, Im not sure why it doesnt work on other videos from same site.

Any advice?

I use this freeware. Easy to do. You can tag your mp4 with it.
This is the official site www.mp3tag.de
Just drag all the videos (mp4) you want to tag. even you can tag the BPM and serato recognize it.