DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Back pains while dj'ing...

TheMightyThor 3:23 AM - 18 September, 2008
maybe im getting old, and maybe i should work out more, but does anyone ever get lower back pains while spinning?
usually i don't notice it when im doing a club for a few hours, but lately when i've been practicing i stop because my lower back hurts.
anyone else have this problem???
Marty Mcfly 3:36 AM - 18 September, 2008
maybe you need to increase the height of your turntables.
or maybe your just old =p
DJMuErTe 4:53 AM - 18 September, 2008
well is normal to get back pain, i recommend to use comfortable shoes while djing and i seen people with mats to step on.
And is not a bad idea about working out a lil more too :)
kid90nz 5:38 AM - 18 September, 2008
What do you do with your hammer when you're playing Thor? If you sling it over your back, you might try putting it on the ground beside your crates. ;p

+1 for the mat. I don't do it as often as I should, but I quite enjoy mixing on a piece of carpet (2'x5') in my socks. It makes it a lot more relaxing.
sixxx 5:47 AM - 18 September, 2008
I would never advice anyone to DJ while sitting BUT taking a break and sitting down while DJing is a good recommendation. Just sit down for a full song; preferably, away from the setup.

Also, wear comfortable shoes and exercising is never a bad thing unless you doing excessively and hurt yourself.
sixxx 5:48 AM - 18 September, 2008
Oh, and if your girl is with you, have her massage your neck to relieve any tension... and maybe do some other naughty things behinds the DJ booth. :P
Big Phyll 5:52 AM - 18 September, 2008
I bring a mat like this to my events...

www.staples.com
DjRekTek 10:45 AM - 18 September, 2008
Alot of pain all over when I mobile.......
DJDiablo 2:11 PM - 18 September, 2008
If the tables are too low, I get back pain after about 30 minutes.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 2:11 PM - 18 September, 2008
Quote:
What do you do with your hammer when you're playing Thor? If you sling it over your back, you might try putting it on the ground beside your crates. ;p

ROTFL, good one.

+1 on the turntable height, double check it.
Kenny Q 2:50 PM - 18 September, 2008
I used to come home with a sore back. I fixed this problem by having my 13 year old son setup my equipment and DJ for me.
Now, I come home feeling great.

By the way, as of today I am 42 years old :-)

www.kennyq.com
www.djkenedi.com
DJ CISCO 3:49 PM - 18 September, 2008
this thread is hilarious.. I usually crack my back on the way to the rest room or I pull my elbows back (like clark kent ripping off his dress shirt to unveil his superman S) to get a few snap crackle pops out..But I like Sixxx's idea of ur girl, or groupie, giving u a nice little rub down..
Rob - Low 7:28 PM - 18 September, 2008
This happens to me when my TTs are to low, or my laptop. Im 6ft and i deal with this pretty often.
Rob - Low 7:33 PM - 18 September, 2008
Quote:
I used to come home with a sore back. I fixed this problem by having my 13 year old son setup my equipment and DJ for me.
Now, I come home feeling great.

By the way, as of today I am 42 years old :-)

www.kennyq.com
www.djkenedi.com

Happy b-day man
Discobee 11:26 PM - 18 September, 2008
Asian massage parlors does wonders on my back and other tense spots. But it sure hurts me in the wallet.
DJ c SQUARED 3:06 AM - 19 September, 2008
Yeah it happens to me all the time. I'm only 16 and I get lower back pain. I'm almost 6ft too. The pain originally came from basketball. Its like wtf? I'm helluh young and I get back pain. Weird stuff...
wilkins820 3:15 PM - 19 September, 2008
its the heighht of the tables OR if you have to do any kind of stretching to reach them.

they can be the perfect height but if they are too far out in front of you... ya gotta stretch and hunch over to reach them

also the rubber mat and proper shoes will help
Rob - Low 6:31 PM - 19 September, 2008
Quote:
its the heighht of the tables OR if you have to do any kind of stretching to reach them.

they can be the perfect height but if they are too far out in front of you... ya gotta stretch and hunch over to reach them

also the rubber mat and proper shoes will help

Yep thats true
Proto J 7:44 PM - 19 September, 2008
avoid set ups that are too low. that is number one. shit will kill you. i've had floor mats really help me too.

go see a chiropractor. i see one twice a week as i have stuff out of place in my spine. my lower back kills me if i stand up too long. my tailbone is jacked up into the disc above it, so i'm constantly having to sit down or reach down and touch my toes. so if you're regularly experiencing pain i'd strongly sugggest going to see a chiropractor and getting x-rays, see what's really goin' on.
TheMightyThor 8:16 PM - 19 September, 2008
sheeeeit, i never spin on anything low. gotta be at least waist high. im only 23 so i hate to say "getting old" but even at my young age i still don't bounce back from stuff like i used to. i've skated and snowboarded for most of my life so i think that took somewhat of a toll, but imma try getting a mat, that seems like it'll work.
kid90nz 9:01 PM - 19 September, 2008
It's not about getting old, Thor. It's all about making sure you look after your shit so it doesn't fuck out on you later. Get earplugs for when you're not mixing, keep your headies as low in volume as you reasonably can, don't stand in front of treble speakers, stretch occasionally during long sets, move around a little bit while you're in the booth, blah, blah, blah.

The key to doing anything for a long time is prevention rather than treatment.
DJ_STEVE 9:52 AM - 20 September, 2008
fuck my back was killing me tonight when i got home. Had to dj in internal mode cuz i couldnt get the tts to work again. Was slouching all night. When i got home the wife gave me a nice little back rub!
DJ GaFFle 10:53 AM - 20 September, 2008
A lot of good advice on here.

The most solid to me is TT height should be comfortable, making sure you're getting decent exercise and comfy shoes...

Here's a trick with the shoe... I recently bought some THICK athletic socks at Costco. It's made a world of difference with ALL my shoes. My feet are the last thing that bother me at the end of the night.
kid90nz 8:18 PM - 20 September, 2008
Fresh socks FTW.
DJ N.Gar 8:07 AM - 26 August, 2012
I Experience back pain as well while djing, but it's more related to uppper-mid back. I'm 21 and since being rear-ended in a crash that tore my lumbar muscle on my lower right 4 years ago, I've been taking precautions to avoid lower back pain by having a good height on TT's, Dr.Scholl's, floor mat, and have all my heavy gear on wheels for when I do mobile like tonight.

I've recently gotten used to cueing/mixing more primarily with my headphones around my neck and one-earing it by tilting my head. Does anybody else experience this sort of pain in your upper back? I'm thinking about making some sort of pad for my headphones to bridge the earcup-ear distance; essentially like those old school ergonomic phones that telemarketers and receptionists used back in the day

Quote:
Fresh socks FTW.

and of course, that and fresh chonies.
sixxx 6:53 PM - 26 August, 2012
Why not use in-ear monitors?
DJ DisGrace 10:05 PM - 26 August, 2012
Quote:
+1 for the mat

+1

try to grab one of those rubber honeycomb mats the bartenders have behind the bar. much better than standing on the hard floor all night
Mike_P 10:15 PM - 26 August, 2012
man, i've suffered with back pain for years. i've been in multiple accidents and DJing for more than an hour ALWAYS kills my back. one thing i've noticed though is that i had my turntables were set too low. i noticed myself leaning forward a lot and that was murder on my back. i've since raised my set up so that, at rest, my arms are at a 90degree angle at the elbow. it's helped a lot.
BERTO 2:45 PM - 27 August, 2012
Turntables/mixer too low will cause back pain. Also i know its a pain to remember but dont hunch over the booth also a nice height lappy stand will prevent you from curling over as well
dj_soo 9:24 AM - 28 August, 2012
raise your decks, raise your laptop, don't do a telephone cue with your headphones
VDJ ASTRO 2:33 AM - 5 September, 2012
i and another dj who is also a pro dancer and percussionist also experience back pain while djing only, some times my back muscles cramp up, we used different dj booths but noticed no difference. we only dj no setting up i think its the concrete floor cause i don't experience this at home, only neck pain from being on my laptop all day long collecting videos ans music and organizing crates.
Aptidda 6:00 PM - 24 August, 2018
Try working out your weak back and stand up straight.

Strong back muscles= better posture and endurance.
17tr2 9:00 PM - 24 August, 2018
Quote:
Orthofeet’s shoes were recommended to me by a family member for my back pain problem. I was happy to find a wide selection of shoe choices and colors. I eventually settled on a walking shoe. I was expecting a "break-in" period but I was happy that, after about an hour, the shoes felt good on my feet. When I wear these walking shoes, I experience no heal pain whatsoever. I can highly recommend these shoes to anyone that suffers with back pain!
www.orthofeet.com

Your Serato posting name is csorthofeet, and you link to a website www.orthofeet.com. That's one hell of a coincidence. Lucky for out feet, you're not a Traktor user. Sorry, but when my feet hurt, I take drugs. Works every time.
popnwave 3:09 PM - 27 August, 2018
Why is a 6 year old thread getting resurrected?

But Aptidda is right, at 6'8" and already one back surgery logged, core exercises are where it's at.
Crackpipe 4:18 PM - 27 August, 2018
If you are flat footed like myself, look into getting custom made or off the shelf orthodics. I find it alleviates some pain in my feet, ankles, hips and lower back.

If you have foot problems, then everything can be out of alignment which can cause pain all over.

For me, it's usually my lower neck that is aching. Poor posture and always staring down and having my head tilted down looking at my laptop and smartphone all day is not good.
dj_soo 10:49 PM - 27 August, 2018
Quote:

But Aptidda is right, at 6'8" and already one back surgery logged, core exercises are where it's at.

Spambot doing a search for “back pain” in forums to try to get people to click on their site.
The Return of Dj Sparky 10:57 PM - 27 August, 2018
Maybe aptidda should try working out in general if you seen any of his vids you'd see the only thing he lifts are boxes of twinkies
Aptidda 11:02 PM - 27 August, 2018
Quote:
Maybe aptidda should try working out in general if you seen any of his vids you'd see the only thing he lifts are boxes of twinkies

mmmmmmmmmm twinkies! Don't forget the Ho' Ho's.
The Return of Dj Sparky 11:04 PM - 27 August, 2018
don't forget that vid
Aptidda 11:15 PM - 27 August, 2018
Quote:
don't forget that vid

Don't forget about peons!
The Return of Dj Sparky 11:37 PM - 27 August, 2018
The Return of Dj Sparky 11:46 PM - 27 August, 2018
as the 72 is the only thing you ever seem to be interested in I thought I'd let it tell you
DJ Marv the Maverick 3:57 PM - 27 October, 2018
Did my back in yesterday when loading for my first gig of a 3 gig weekend. I was trying to lift a EV EKX15SP and the back went.

I had to find a replacement DJ for Saturday night.

Be safe out there fellas.
dj_soo 8:54 PM - 27 October, 2018
yikes - the EKX15SP isn't even that heavy is it?

My subs are 90 lbs and I really need to work on better lifting technique.
DJ GaFFle 7:17 PM - 29 October, 2018
Quote:

Jeez! You should be on the hardwoods at that height!