DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

68 or 62

Will08272 12:47 PM - 5 April, 2013
Any reason besides the 4 channels to get the 68 over the 62. I was leaning towards the 62 because i dont really need 4 channels but i would have liked to use one of the channels for my ipad to use drum apps and stuff on top of tracks. If this is possible on the 62 then ill go that route.
DJ Matty Stiles 12:56 PM - 5 April, 2013
i have heard people who have said rane learned a lot from the 68 and a lot of improvements have been made with the 62 where the 68 let them down. don't ask how because I haven't owned a 68, only the 62. But I can tell you the 62 is the best mixer ive ever owned and if you're serious about your game, it's a worthy step up
stevie o 1:09 PM - 5 April, 2013
Quote:
Any reason besides the 4 channels to get the 68 over the 62. I was leaning towards the 62 because i dont really need 4 channels but i would have liked to use one of the channels for my ipad to use drum apps and stuff on top of tracks. If this is possible on the 62 then ill go that route.

If you only need a separate channel for random plug in shit just use the aux on the 62.
Will08272 1:14 PM - 5 April, 2013
I was checking out the back of the mixer what input would be the aux input i saw the four rcas and remembered it had two sound cards and the session in and outs, would i be able to use the session in and route and have the audio come through the main.
Musically Minded 2:02 PM - 5 April, 2013
Quote:
would i be able to use the session in and route and have the audio come through the main.

yes you would
Will08272 2:29 PM - 5 April, 2013
Perfect then rane 62 it is.
WarpNote 7:02 PM - 5 April, 2013
Hi people.
Been wondering about the 62 aux myself. Would I be able to hook up 2 x tech,
2 x cdj's and an analog aux source, while still have access to both session in & out?

Reason for asking, from the pictures, I cannot see an aux input on the back.

Not that there are many situations where I wouldn't be able to make use of the session in as an aux. (failsafe, if anything should happen to the computer.)

Already own the 68, and trying to justify getting the 62 aswell.. LOL
stevie o 7:06 PM - 5 April, 2013
Quote:
Hi people.
2 x cdj's and an analog aux source, while still have access to both session in & out?

Not that there are many situations where I wouldn't be able to make use of the session in as an aux. (failsafe, if anything should happen to the computer.)

True gear head. i respect that. Buy everything. Thats my motto
WarpNote 7:15 PM - 5 April, 2013
Quote:
Buy everything. Thats my motto

LOL. ;-)
dj_soo 7:55 PM - 5 April, 2013
There is an RCA aux in for the 62 although I'm not sure what you mean by "still have access to session in and out"

62 all the way btw, only used the 68 once and disliked it immensely - Rane improved on pretty much all the complaints with the 68...
WarpNote 8:57 PM - 5 April, 2013
Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by "still have access to session in and out"
From the pictures there is no AUX RCA input, only a session RCA in.
Am I missing something? -> www.rane.com
DeezNotes 9:38 PM - 5 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

The RCA for session in and out are controlled by the knobs near the master and booth volume knobs.

The Aux out has a USB symbol next to it, meaning it's "software" controlled. SP-6 or something based from your computer can be output through this control (iTunes or Ableton or whatever).
DeezNotes 9:40 PM - 5 April, 2013
Quote:
Hi people.

Don't forget about the Mic input, which is line selectable. I'm not sure what you want to accomplish, but as far as external inputs, you have the 2 channels (switchable), aux in and mic in (line selectable). There are also 2 USB ports, so if you have another computer it may open up other options?
stevie o 9:55 PM - 5 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The RCA for session in and out are controlled by the knobs near the master and booth volume knobs.

The Aux out has a USB symbol next to it, meaning it's "software" controlled. SP-6 or something based from your computer can be output through this control (iTunes or Ableton or whatever).

I think he wants an aux in deez. It doesnt seem to have one. Workarounds would be input into a channel and switch the channel line, but that sucks. Also flex effects could be used as an input.
WarpNote 10:01 PM - 5 April, 2013
Quote:
The Aux out has a USB symbol next to it, meaning it's "software" controlled.
Ah, the aux is software only, gotcha.
Was assuming it was also analog like the 4 aux outputs on the 68.

Quote:
Don't forget about the Mic input, which is line selectable.
Yeah, thats a good option for adding something like a backup ipod.

Quote:
I'm not sure what you want to accomplish
Flexibility mostly, every now and then we set up like this -> www.flickr.com
2x techs, 2x CDJ, 1x (or 2x) V7 into the same mixer.

Flex FX and session in/out works like the same on both 62 & 68 btw.

I know I want the 62, I used it for 2 days, when it first came out.
Just trying to learn more about the mixer.

Thanks Guys, very helpful indeed!

Warp
dj_soo 12:41 AM - 6 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

The session in is an auxiliary input that you can plug in other devices like an iPod or a 2nd mixer - or do you want one more input?

The 62 has three separately controlled outputs - XLR, 1/4", and RCA.

It has 5 stereo inputs: 2 switchable for each line fader and an additional aux/session input.

Then there's the send/returns but that's more for effects boxes.

You can easily have 2 turntables, 2 Cdjs, and a 5th device connected to the 62, but you can only choose audio from either the turntable or cdj on each side at a time. The aux input has it's own volume knob and will be mixed into the audio signal.

When doing 2x4 sets, I usually run another mixer into my 62 all the time.
WarpNote 8:55 AM - 6 April, 2013
Quote:
When doing 2x4 sets, I usually run another mixer into my 62 all the time.

Yeah, I figured that would be the way people do it.
For a 2 channel battle mixer, the 62 certainly has a lot of options :-)
Actually gonna read the manual now, also need to decide if I'm selling off the 68, or getting both...
stevie o 12:55 PM - 6 April, 2013
Pm me if you decide to sell the 68
dj_soo 6:47 PM - 6 April, 2013
Quote:
Actually gonna read the manual now,

Say what now? People still do this?

I thought you're supposed to just jump on the Internet and demand someone to hold your hand and google shit for you.
Will08272 6:55 PM - 6 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Actually gonna read the manual now,

Say what now? People still do this?

I thought you're supposed to just jump on the Internet and demand someone to hold your hand and google shit for you.

Ha, fortunately some do, im always reading the serato manual for some reason, i read every manual i get for things on the crapper or on my way to work always fun.
WarpNote 8:26 PM - 6 April, 2013
RTFM ->en.wikipedia.org ;-)
I always did, also, seems I'm getting a decent deal on a used 62... :-)