Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

GPU acceleration of Windows Serato DJ for waveforms

Kittmaster 11:52 PM - 3 April, 2013
Offload the waveforms for GPU rendering instead of CPU rendering. The waveforms on Mac are silky smooth, waveforms on Windows are terrible.

Find a way to fix the waveforms to be as smooth as a Mac.
djmak23 12:11 PM - 22 April, 2013
+1000 yesssssssssss
djemdub 6:11 PM - 25 April, 2013
+1 totally agree.
I ran SDJ in my virtual machine and the waveforms looked a lot better
dj-nice 3:56 PM - 28 April, 2013
+1
djemdub 8:55 AM - 1 May, 2013
i guess the majority of SDJ users have already switched over to mac because i would think that more people would be really interested in this.

I doubt they would ever do this regardless of the amount of people that want it.
Im sure this would require major code reconstruction on the windows side that may cause more bugs to appear and would be time consuming. It sounds neat to get it added but not very possible. Best bet is to get a mac, thats if youre willing to dish out that money for smooth waveforms.
Kittmaster 12:22 PM - 1 May, 2013
I have two macbook pros, but only 160GB drives in them, I was thinking of converting them both to 1TB drives, the problem is I don't use a notebook on the road, I built a custom i7 chassis mount system in my wheeled road case, so I don't think there is much room to try to convert that to intel hardware that a mac would install onto. So I remain in windows....they've said long ago they were going to try and get it sorted.....hopefully they keep their word.
Papa Midnight 4:31 PM - 1 May, 2013
I've been making this same damn request since ITCH 1.5...

+1
DJ-LoLo 6:08 PM - 1 May, 2013
+1
djemdub 8:01 PM - 1 May, 2013
Quote:
I have two macbook pros, but only 160GB drives in them, I was thinking of converting them both to 1TB drives, the problem is I don't use a notebook on the road, I built a custom i7 chassis mount system in my wheeled road case, so I don't think there is much room to try to convert that to intel hardware that a mac would install onto. So I remain in windows....they've said long ago they were going to try and get it sorted.....hopefully they keep their word.

ive tried hackintoshing mine but no success so far
Papa Midnight 8:11 PM - 1 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

ive tried hackintoshing mine but no success so far

Message me and I'll try to help
Kittmaster 8:12 PM - 1 May, 2013
ok, cool, TY!

:)
DJ GSOUND 4:37 PM - 4 May, 2013
+1
DJ GSOUND 9:42 AM - 27 November, 2013
+ infinty
DJCY 9:56 AM - 30 November, 2013
+1
DJ MATTY H 1:22 AM - 2 December, 2013
If you do this I wont have to buy a damn mac!!!

+1
djemdub 12:06 AM - 29 December, 2013
still waiting for this to happen
DJ TooHypE 4:50 PM - 29 December, 2013
+1 Por favor =)
ojgbagg27 10:57 PM - 30 December, 2013
+1000
djemdub 11:52 PM - 3 March, 2014
I want nice looking waveforms :-(
Mr Wilks 11:44 PM - 13 March, 2014
+ 1

They 'should' be silky smooth by now.
Papa Midnight 12:29 AM - 14 March, 2014
This feature request is over 4 years old o_O

serato.com

(I believe older topics exist)
DJ ICey 707 4:26 PM - 14 March, 2014
+1
DJ Compiler 9:53 PM - 14 March, 2014
+1
music man 11:46 AM - 15 March, 2014
+1
djemdub 8:57 PM - 22 April, 2014
Quote:
This feature request is over 4 years old o_O

serato.com

(I believe older topics exist)

The fact that people have been asking for this for over 4 years is pretty sad.
djclem 4:42 AM - 24 April, 2014
+100
Come on serato this is embarassing. An i7 with gtx videocards struggling to show a waveform...
DJCY 5:01 AM - 29 April, 2014
Yes, some waveforms are very laggy
Diego Sucaria 5:21 PM - 7 November, 2014
+1
I have an i7 with a nVidia Quadro 4GB video card and the waveforms flickers!
CJ DJ 8:03 PM - 7 November, 2014
+1

It would be awesome if you could offload waveforms to GPU , in fact other companies are offloading their plugins and even audio libraries to GPU
DjChachi PR 8:15 PM - 7 November, 2014
+1
Heltino 5:10 PM - 8 November, 2014
+1
Kitch Lorraine 8:32 PM - 9 November, 2014
+1
Undersky 1:24 AM - 10 November, 2014
+1 C'mon guys I don't have i7 and 755m graphics card for bad performing waveforms. Seems to be a long standing issue too.
247discos 11:51 AM - 10 November, 2014
+1 please
Riko Roos 9:14 AM - 12 November, 2014
+1
pong 8:48 PM - 8 September, 2015
+1 please
i believe that will be soon (´・ω・`)
Iván 2:53 PM - 9 September, 2015
+1
arrahgawd 1:20 AM - 11 September, 2015
+1
amplogik 11:14 PM - 11 September, 2015
Might this be related to your actual video hardware. Silky smooth on my PCs, more so than on my Macs. (Have both). If you've got a crappy on chip intel gpu, it might be that it's just slow. Or are these machines with good GPUs AND the crappy onboard ones on the CPU.

If so, check out the resolume arena forums for a fix.
Kittmaster 11:16 PM - 11 September, 2015
No it might not. I've use the biggest and baddest Nvidia GPUs and it still does not flow smoothly.....it is a PC thing.
amplogik 11:30 PM - 11 September, 2015
If you have a laptop with an NVIDIA gpu, such as an alienware, you should know it does NOT use the nvidia GPU for anything other than games without some tweaks. It does this to save battery life. You have to add some keys to the registry to get the NVIDIA GPU to run as the preferred video device when running other software. Otherwise your computer defaults to using the onboard chip resident gpu, which are utter crap. That's why I asked.

There's a whole section on the resolume and nvidia forums on this including the fixes.

You might be lucky and be able to apply the fix and get what you need. :)
Kittmaster 11:36 PM - 11 September, 2015
I also use this on my personal and studio rigs which both are Nvidia GTX series cards desktops and they all have the same issues. I know what your referring to about the internal use of intel crap card over the Nvidia, and would agree, even if that would "work", there should be a hook that calls Serato to use the high end card over the internal junk card......or dare I say.....let the user decide to select the they want to use (god forbid).......

Thanks for the input though.
amplogik 11:43 PM - 11 September, 2015
Pity. Was hoping it might help.

Funny, I have a Nvidia 690 (two 680s in one case) on the studio rig, and a Intel 4400 on the portable, and both run smoother than the macbook pro 2013 I have. The waveform stutters occasionally on that. So it might be inconsistent GPU to GPU. Wonder if the nvidia drivers have a glitch for 2d accel on the latest cards. Hmmm.

Well, I hope they track down the issue and it gets addressed.

:(
Kittmaster 12:15 AM - 12 September, 2015
I'd be interested in seeing a small video of a PC with smooth waveforms you mentioned. Any chance you could demo that?
amplogik 2:06 AM - 12 September, 2015
Not easily seeing as I don't have a video cam. LOL. I have a screen recorder for doing demos at work, but it has that problem. It seems jittery to me.

I'll see if my phone does good enough video for it.
amplogik 2:33 AM - 12 September, 2015
Well, it's not a great video, but here it is.
dl.dropboxusercontent.com

This is the weakest of the boxes I have
i3 4G ram, 1920x1080 intel 4000 GPU.

Forgive the shakiness of the camera, had to turn image stabilization or the backlit screen was too blurry to see. I'm no filmmaker, that's for sure.

Smooth playback, no jitter, no frame drops, colored waveforms.

The macbook is pretty similar, but stutters once in a while for reasons I cannot understand. Sound playback is fine, but the wave lags and then jumps back to play position. It's rare, but happens about once a night at a 3 hour gig. I think it's something on my mac rather any serato issue. The PCs never skip, lag or stutter for me under SDJ or SSL. Though I did have the issue on my desktop until I discovered a bad driver causing DPC using DPC checker. Wasn't serato, it was a crappy marvell controller driver.
Kittmaster 2:40 AM - 12 September, 2015
Your waveforms are doing exactly as what are all seeing, if you were to put that side by side to a MAC, just the platter rotation indicator will "slide" around the ring vs the PC which is "skipping" around the ring......there is a noticeable difference if you know what your looking for.

Don't get me wrong, its not like it isn't "smooth" persay, but the way in which it redraws the animation leaves a lot to be desired.......which is where all the +1's are coming from.....because many see the difference in the two OS operations of how the screen is redrawn.
Kittmaster 2:40 AM - 12 September, 2015
OH, and thanks for posting up the video... :)
deejdave 3:46 AM - 12 September, 2015
That is certainly not the smoothness I have become used to with my MacBook's.

This is an older video of one of my 2012 2.9 I7 Dual Core's at 1 MS with ALL expansions activated using DVS and the screen updates only at halfway (30) and this is actually an older version. My Quad Core I7's are even better if you can believe that.

a.) www.dropbox.com

b.) www.dropbox.com

Not trying to brag or anything but just trying to help so you are able to see what peeps really mean when they say it is not smooth with Windows.
DJ Compiler 3:50 AM - 12 September, 2015
Just requires a little extra work on Serato's end. The Mac's work good out of the box because the OS already knows what hardware is being used so the default is already high performance. Windows can achieve the same thing by using DirectX drivers but that requires more specific hardware and I doubt the qt framework Serato uses tries this by default.
deejdave 3:58 AM - 12 September, 2015
Any video with a Windows laptop with smooth waveforms at 1ms? I ask this often as I have always wanted a PC that CAN run Serato the way I am used to and a video providing such would be a very welcomed surprise leading me to a very happy purchase. I happen to love Windows and certainly do wish it always came down to tweaking but alas for me thus far all the tweaking in the word only got me so far.
amplogik 4:12 AM - 12 September, 2015
I didn't think about the rings. You're right. The waveforms however look completely smooth to the eye. Not so great on the video. The rings however... yeah, hadn't noticed that before.
amplogik 4:18 AM - 12 September, 2015
deejdave, have you checked your windows installs for latency issues using LatencyMon?

www.resplendence.com

It's free and a godsend with eliminating things causing latency. I think having to tweak windows is nearly unavoidable due to the wide variety of software and hardware that is out there, and as shipped, it is optimized for general purpose use, not audio.

I brought my latency under ASIO from over 80ms to 1ms by fixing conflicts I found with perfmon with my MOTU card, and to under 2 with my SL2 used in audio interface mode with Live.

Seriously, that software saved my butt.
deejdave 4:30 AM - 12 September, 2015
Not the recent laptop I have as it would not be something I would dare to attempt with Serato. A few years back when I was using Windows machines with Serato I had attempted everything under the sun. Don't get me wrong it was by NO means horrible. Just not perfect. I won't fuel any debate by saying it IS perfect with Mac either. Just stating the obvious and already known. I am not surprised by your Mac not having the smooth waveforms though. It is actually a matter of it not running how it should (and was until recently in many cases) and you are not the only one. Especially more with current releases this has been an ongoing problem. As far as I can remember this was never the case so it really warrants the question of how/why did we move backwards here?

I have been lucky and not experienced THIS particular issue myself. Moving backwards ourselves though even if the case is that your waveforms are in fact smooth to the eye and it is just the virtual decks (rings) that are stuttering. Does this not bother you? Especially after tweaking and optimizing as far as you can go isn't it a bit bothersome the rest is not up to you? I think this is the point people get at when discussing this and why it gets so heated. Maybe I am answering my own request though in that many PC's are in fact running as good as they can and if/when Serato attacks this issue that last bit of stutter/jerkiness will dissipate and I can once again join the ranks of DJ's using Serato and Windows :) I'll say it again really DO love Windows. I use it for LITERALLY everything else in my life. Hell I'm on one as I write this.

I appreciate the above tip BTW just as I said to no fault of yours my current PC's are not worth the time or effort I promise. In other words you won't see me on these forums blaming Serato for them not working great as it was me who cheaped out when purchasing them LOL.
deejdave 4:33 AM - 12 September, 2015
BTW I just bookmarked the above link. Not for nothing the little red X in front of the "Novice Users" indicating they flat out have no interest in them actually is attractive to me.................. is that weird? LOL
amplogik 5:47 AM - 12 September, 2015
I can get that. LOL. I am platform agnostic for consumer OSes. Day job I code for and work with various unix platforms, so as far as I am concerned a computer is a tool, and getting all "my hammer is better than your hammer" seems sorta a waste of time that could be better spent using a hammer. LOL
amplogik 5:49 AM - 12 September, 2015
Oh, and the waveforms are smooth, but I didn't really look at the platter animation frankly because I look at my vinyl. I find that platter animiation largely cosmetic for my use. I can get that someone uses it a lot and would find that jitter irritating.
deejdave 5:51 AM - 12 September, 2015
True dat! The fact that they are direct enough to advertise that though gives the the impression they mean business. I dabbled a bit with some latency tools in the past but not this and I will for sure keep this in my arsenal for future reference so thanks again.
DJ TooHypE 6:13 AM - 20 September, 2015
Personally for the consumer with low on their budget most PC users have Intel on board Video system's. I'm still on SSL would <3 too use SDJ but on my machine it's just way too buggy so I'm stuck for the moment with SSL.
Ste H 6:04 PM - 21 September, 2015
Quote:
Might this be related to your actual video hardware. Silky smooth on my PCs, more so than on my Macs. (Have both). If you've got a crappy on chip intel gpu, it might be that it's just slow. Or are these machines with good GPUs AND the crappy onboard ones on the CPU.

If so, check out the resolume arena forums for a fix.

This is a software issue not hardware... I'm not using serato dj until its fixed ha.
Papa Midnight 11:22 PM - 21 September, 2015
This feature request is now over 5½ years old (serato.com). It's now reaching PnT territory.

Quote:
Personally for the consumer with low on their budget most PC users have Intel on board Video system's.

You DO realize that the significant majority of MacBook Pro's make usage of Intel HD Graphics and/or Intel Iris Pro Graphics, right? Those are all on-die GPUs.

In Apple's current line-up (www.apple.com), the only MBP unit that has anything else is the one that starts at $2499.99; and even then, it's still doing Auto Switching, and primarily making usage of the on-die Iris Pro GPU when not doing something that requires the usage of the dedicated GPU such as gaming.

Now, I've gone on record several times before that no one should expect to have decent performance if they purchase a budget machine, but we're talking about direct Apples-to-Apples comparisons in hardware here (No pun intended).
popnwave 10:46 PM - 24 September, 2015
The intel based chipsets have come a LONG way since this was first an issue. Hell, you can do 1080p VJ'ing off the current gen MacBook Pros and the Intel Iris Graphics 6100 stuff works just fine.

I'd still opt for dedicated for OTHER things I do, like video editing, but for playback the field has certainly leveled. Now as to PC optimization of that chipset in SDJ itself, I don't know, that would be nice if they resisted it for both platforms since it is on chip and not subject to the differences that plague most PC vs MAC comparisons.
Heltino 1:20 PM - 25 September, 2015
it's no win/mac or hardware issue. that is inside SDJ.
seen same waveform issue on both OS, regardless with OS version.
furthermore:
sorry...that is no high end 3D stuff, it's a shitty 2D waveform.
the weakest Intel GPU has at least two times the power to draw this....
Burny 4:17 AM - 29 September, 2015
Guys, Serato literally just doesnt care for the pc users. Just look at how awful Serato video runs on a pc. Im guessing the new Pioneer software coming out in 2 days is going to change some minds at serato, however, it's to little to late.
Shalvy 2:16 PM - 8 February, 2016
+1, this is quite embarrassing considering the years of complaints.