DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Dj Jazzy Jeff on Jimmy Fallon 4-1-13 (short vid)

12inchskinz 8:57 PM - 2 April, 2013
Here is Dj Jazzy Jeff performing with The Roots on Fallon last night. We hooked up Jeff with a custom "Vinyl Destination" Rane 62 skin and a Jimmy Fallon Serato picture disc. Not sure how long link will last so until then........enjoy!
twitpic.com
 6 9:04 PM - 2 April, 2013
Just one Jimmy Fallon Serato picture disc? What's wrong with you. That's Jazzy Jeff not Michael Basic. :P

nm
latindj 9:09 PM - 2 April, 2013
he didn't want to be two faced???

NM
12inchskinz 9:12 PM - 2 April, 2013
Quote:
he didn't want to be two faced???

NM

LOL... Yea, only had time to make that "one" on the quick and overnight it.
 6 9:16 PM - 2 April, 2013
Good stuff btw 12inchskinz.... thanks for the video nm
stevie o 9:23 PM - 2 April, 2013
Jazzy Jeff is awesome.
Quest love is a great drummer.
Quest love is a terrible DJ. He was guest DJ at the garden (Madison Square Garden, aka the Mecca) last month and he stunk up the joint.
DJ GaFFle 9:53 PM - 2 April, 2013
Quote:
Jazzy Jeff is awesome.
Quest love is a terrible DJ. He was guest DJ at the garden (Madison Square Garden, aka the Mecca) last month and he stunk up the joint.

I wouldn't doubt it (QuestLove). I heard he has an extensive record collection but I'd just consider him a drummer/producer, not a DJ.
stevie o 10:22 PM - 2 April, 2013
Definitely. But like everyone he's cashin on on the DJ thing. Why not. It's there for the taking.
Serato. Ultimate gift and curse
DeezNotes 10:25 PM - 2 April, 2013
Quote:
Definitely. But like everyone he's cashin on on the DJ thing. Why not. It's there for the taking.

at least he has records.
stevie o 10:28 PM - 2 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

at least he has records.

Definitely a multi talented dude.
 6 10:39 PM - 2 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

at least he has records.

So did old jukeboxes lol

nm
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 11:44 PM - 2 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Jazzy Jeff is awesome.

I wouldn't doubt it (QuestLove). I heard he has an extensive record collection but I'd just consider him a drummer/producer, not a DJ.

But in NYC, it's sometimes not about the mixing, transitions, or even DJ skills but just playing the "right records". I am sure his records go deeper than most.

or so i've heard....
Dj-M.Bezzle 11:51 PM - 2 April, 2013
got a question for you guys....ok preface: I KNOW JAZZY JEFF IS AWESOME!!!!

BUT

...wasnt that kinda a lame exhibition of his talent??
 6 11:53 PM - 2 April, 2013
Quote:

BUT

Not really. He was Jammin' with ?uestlove.
I think for the short amount of time that he had, it was good.

nm
stevie o 11:58 PM - 2 April, 2013
Quote:

BUT

I thought is was clean and to the point.
stevie o 11:58 PM - 2 April, 2013
i thought it was
Dj-M.Bezzle 11:58 PM - 2 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

BUT

nm

cool...to be clear i enjoyed it...just used to seeing a bit more from him, mabye just a taaaaad bit more seasoning
 6 11:59 PM - 2 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

BUT

nm

cool...to be clear i enjoyed it...just used to seeing a bit more from him, mabye just a taaaaad bit more seasoning

He could have gotten on the mic and yelled PEEEEEETE!!!!!!!!

hahahaha
NM
Dj-M.Bezzle 11:59 PM - 2 April, 2013
100% not trying to have a point here just wanna see what everyone else thinks
Dj-M.Bezzle 12:00 AM - 3 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

BUT

nm

He could have gotten on the mic and yelled PEEEEEETE!!!!!!!!

hahahaha
NM

lmfao!!
DJDBAG 2:12 AM - 3 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

at least he has records.

dude QUEST has been djing for a longggg time bros, I dont know where you guys have got your information. He is not just cashing in on some fad

hes not your technically best dj as far as tricks and cuts are concerned but his sets are on point and his knowledge of music is insane, the songs he will play out and breaks he knows are incredible, he literally is the human version of an ipod

programming is everything and you guys are nuts

I cant believe I just read that

Watch this and try not to nod your head,

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJDBAG 2:12 AM - 3 April, 2013
dude QUEST has been djing for a longggg time bros, I dont know where you guys have got your information. He is not just cashing in on some fad

hes not your technically best dj as far as tricks and cuts are concerned but his sets are on point and his knowledge of music is insane, the songs he will play out and breaks he knows are incredible, he literally is the human version of an ipod

Watchwww.youtube.com
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:14 AM - 3 April, 2013
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

music knowledge mabye but ive only heard him on controllers kinda failin...or was that will i am....hard to keep track now adays lol
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:15 AM - 3 April, 2013
i will say that i EXPECT questlove to be a good dj since he has a instrumental background
DJDBAG 2:17 AM - 3 April, 2013
nah dude hes always on 12s never a controller

Watch www.youtube.com
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:18 AM - 3 April, 2013
Quote:
nah dude hes always on 12s never a controller

Watch www.youtube.com

im prob thinkin of will i am then
DJDBAG 2:19 AM - 3 April, 2013
then your music knowledge is wackkkkked thats a terrible comparison
stevie o 2:20 AM - 3 April, 2013
Questlove layed an egg at the garden. That's all I know. I was in the 5th row. It was ugly. I will cut him some slack because that's not the easiest setting. The garden has a bad PA system and if he didnt have monitors I could see how anyone could trainereck. Bad acoustics and echoes. It's not exactly setup for concert type shit during games. But if he did have monitors it was poor
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:21 AM - 3 April, 2013
Quote:

lol nah i just remember someone postin a vid of someone i thought "oh i bet thisll be good" doin a radio set....but he was usin a controller and trainwreckin and i was hella dissappointed
stevie o 2:22 AM - 3 April, 2013
Quote:

Ha. Will I am deserves respect for his production. His shit is always mastered and mixed better than anyone. Listen to a black eyes peas track with good headphones you will hear how good the sound quality is. He's got some secret he's not tellin anyone
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:23 AM - 3 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Ha. Will I am deserves respect for his production. His shit is always mastered and mixed better than anyone. Listen to a black eyes peas track with good headphones you will hear how good the sound quality is. He's got some secret he's not tellin anyone

exactly, i remember thinkink ok this guyll be good ...but dude failed hard...BTW this was pre super pop BEPs
MPC O.G. 3:17 AM - 3 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Listen to how he will PURPOSELY throw a track off the groove like it's some signature move. That shit fucks with your head nod, therefore, fucks up the track..
DeezNotes 3:35 AM - 3 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

at least he has records.

Watchwww.youtube.com

I'm not saying anything bad about Quest. I'm a fan. I'm sure he's not technically the most advanced DJ, but he's definitely an encyclopedia when it comes to music. The things he rattles off the top of his head is amazing. I was just responding to the comment about DJs cashing in on Serato. He has records. A metric fuck ton of records. He's not one of those DJs. I see him more as an all-around musician. He was born into it. How can you not respect that?
djaction 3:20 PM - 3 April, 2013
@DJDBAG .. he started on serato.. so he can't have been djing for that long. what 10-15 years at the most?
DJDBAG 4:59 PM - 3 April, 2013
Quote:
@DJDBAG .. he started on serato.. so he can't have been djing for that long. what 10-15 years at the most?

yeah a dude who literally has over 100,000 records started on serato? doubtful, hes been djing since he was a child, professional or not
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 5:04 PM - 3 April, 2013
Quote:
yeah a dude who literally has over 100,000 records started on serato? doubtful, hes been djing since he was a child, professional or not

He spent too much time ripping all his vinyl to serato to practice his DJ skills....
<runs and hides>
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:05 PM - 3 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

To be fair owning a record collection dosent necessarily = djing
DJDBAG 5:07 PM - 3 April, 2013
i remember an interview with him talking about djing parties as a kid

i agree with bezzle for once, but logically if dude has that much wax, was around rappers, hip hop etc, you think he didnt start to dj until serato, come on peeps hes from philly the land of the the DJ!
Rane, Support
Chad S. 6:30 PM - 3 April, 2013
Big ups, Jared.
12inchskinz 6:49 PM - 3 April, 2013
Quote:
Big ups, Jared.

Thanks Bubby!!!!
DJ GaFFle 7:28 PM - 3 April, 2013
Quote:

hes not your technically best dj as far as tricks and cuts are concerned but his sets are on point and his knowledge of music is insane...

<span>
Watchwww.youtube.com
</span>

Not bad.
djaction 7:45 PM - 3 April, 2013
pretty sure he started collecting vinyl ~1993 .. still has no relevance to when he started dj'ing