DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Gemini iKey ???

germanbaboon 10:54 PM - 26 January, 2006
So I am thinking about getting this to record my sets, but there is controversy over it because it's Gemini, and they haven't been that good of a brand name company. What are your thoughts? Does it work well? Is it worth the 150 bucks? Tell me what you think. thanks in advance...
OG Supernatural 11:01 PM - 26 January, 2006
Not sure of the quality of the iKey. Have you checked out the MP4
rane.com
anewsome 11:42 PM - 26 January, 2006
@supernatural, the ikey is $130. not even in the same class as the mp4. the ikey is dead simple to use and i really like using it for ripping vinyl. it really could not be simpler. no computer needed, just a usb thumb drive or regular usb hard drive to plug into the thing. i highly recommend it. ignore that it says gemini on it.
OG Supernatural 11:58 PM - 26 January, 2006
I agree, seems like an easy to use and fairly priced product...Everything I've read about it has been positive. I just don't know about the quality of the recording. If you are getting the quality then cooo! Says it records MP3 up to 256 kbp's??

Lot's of time involved with ripping vinyl...even recording sets. Seems like it would be worth investing the extra coin to get the quality from the MP4 or any other quality sound card.

Yeah, two different things. I guess it really depends on how he wants to use it. $130 is def a much easier way to go.
punosion 1:49 AM - 27 January, 2006
Not many moving parts so it's got that going for it...the only thing I'm concerned about it my past experience with Gemini gear. Two inputs have gone to shit on me on Gemini mixers, definitely an important part on this unit, so I'd really be worried that these would go out just the same. However, a very intriguing unit...I don't get out much, but this would still be awesome, even just for casual home use.
anewsome 2:21 AM - 27 January, 2006
i would not recommend recording to mp3 with the iKey. I can't say the encoder is bad in the thing. I've never used it and never will. Lame is the best encoder on the planet so I record to wav. It makes huge files but you seriously can not tell the ikey recording from the source.
joshua 2:34 AM - 27 January, 2006
ikey will also record wav, researched it myself.
talked to a guy at gc, and he was having issues with it clipping and stuttering recording to an ipod, so i dont know how really reliable it is, i think he was trying to record as mp3 though.

Josh
DJ MDX 4:40 AM - 27 January, 2006
I use an iKey and the quality is fine I have recorded at both 256k and .wav and have not had any issue at all.

I am actually impressed with it.
germanbaboon 10:17 PM - 27 January, 2006
Awesome! Thanks for the advice! I'll probably go buy it now. =]
Deft 10:32 PM - 27 January, 2006
There should be a review on Skratchworx appearing soon.
It's alright - lack of level meters is annoying, direct mp3 encoding quality isn't great. Wav sounds like you would expect for the price I suppose - fine for your average dj mixer / setup really.
ManChild 10:43 PM - 27 January, 2006
go to www.ambientweather.com where you can find the i key for 109 bucks. I'm thinking of picking on up in the near future.
germanbaboon 10:33 PM - 2 February, 2006
Quote:
go to www.ambientweather.com where you can find the i key for 109 bucks. I'm thinking of picking on up in the near future.

There's a deal. Haha, I'll print it out and see if guitar center will match it. Thanks! =]
anewsome 11:30 PM - 2 February, 2006
The lack of level meters is my ONLY complaint with the iKey. I have absolutely no complaints with the sound quality, then again I am using a setup where my turntable plugs directly into it, no mixer or external preamp to deal with.
anewsome 11:30 PM - 2 February, 2006
Also, again. Record directly to wave and use a high quality mp3 encoder (lame).
prof. rockwell 2:00 AM - 3 February, 2006
Quote:
I use an iKey and the quality is fine I have recorded at both 256k and .wav and have not had any issue at all.

cosign on this. I work at a gear shop, and one of my co-workers tested it out. Said it worked great, only problem was the lack of a real level meter - it's a single LED that blinks on if you peak.
prof. rockwell 2:00 AM - 3 February, 2006
Quote:
Quote:

cosign on this. I work at a gear shop, and one of my co-workers tested it out. Said it worked great, only problem was the lack of a real level meter - it's a single LED that blinks on if you peak.

whoops! anewsome already said this.
Konix 2:22 AM - 3 February, 2006
They are coming out with an iKey Plus, which has a selectable phono/line/mic switch, headphone out for monitoring, and "proper level monitoring via the LEDs rather than just one LED telling you if the input was too loud or not." It's also black in color and comes with a stereo mic.
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 2:49 AM - 3 February, 2006
oh sh!t

thanks Konix for the heads up!...no wonder why they sold it to me for $109... have to admit, that single blinking LED is irritating :)

*now if i can just find that guitar center receipt*
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 8:05 PM - 7 February, 2006
i'm selling my Gemini iKey....

PM me....

dj mike coquilla