Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

VCI-300

Soulsonica™ 7:21 PM - 6 September, 2008
Can someone here who has been using this controller describe in detail the build and component quality and how it feels? Plasticky and cheap or industrial and solid? Reason I ask is that I'm interested in a controller such as this for certain gig scenarios where TTs are not wanted/needed. I've only seen pictures and videos of the VCI-300 and based on that assessment alone it appears to be a home/hobbyist type device and not really professional (ie: glossy plastic control surface, cheesy faders/knobs, etc), but I could be totally wrong. I'm really wanting Rane or Rane-caliber quality (you know, robust professional instrument, not chincy toy) in a device such as this, but as far as I know Rane doesn't offer a similar product. Also, does the Vestax VCI-300 have true 100% cut on the low/mid/high EQs? How long are the faders? Is there a rotary version? Does it have a master volume control? Can the pitch controls extend beyond 6%? Does it have AutoLooping buttons for 32/16/8/4/2/1/.5/.25/.125 like SL? Does Itch use the same exact library as SL? If so, can a user bounce back and forth between the two environments seamlessly and do all changes made to files, cue points, loops, etc. made in one environment transfer back to the other? Thanks in advance for any info or insight.
Dj Ace 12:23 AM - 7 September, 2008
Definitely doesn't feel like a toy...and itch will read you SSL crates and cue points
DeezNotes 3:06 PM - 7 September, 2008
Right. It feels a lot more solid than it looks in pics. If you get the chance, put your hands on one in person and you'll see.

It does have 100% cut on the EQ. The crossfader is the "normal" length, but the upfaders are the longer style. Real long. No rotary. There is a master volume control and only that. There is a headphone monitor, but there's no booth output. The NS7 has a booth output tho. Pitch can go to + or - 50 or 100? Can't remember... I never go that high. BUT, it doesn't put the while fader at that range (top to bottom)... it just moves the pitch fader to that range within + or - 6. It does have autoloop and all that fancy pants stuff u asked after that question.
DJ 2ni 6:24 AM - 10 September, 2008
Hi

I'm a french DJ

I have a question about the CUE...!

When a cue1 is record on a song,and when I call that song on Itch, the song begin from cue1 if "play from first cue point" is "ON" (like SSL), but if I push the CUE botton wich is near the Play botton, does it go back to the first cue point (CUE1) or is it the CUE1 botton to push...? I dont know if you understand me..excuse for my english..!

Thanks
DeezNotes 8:43 PM - 10 September, 2008
If play from first cue point is on, it will play from the first cue point. This cue point will be triggered from the cue buttons at the top of the VCI.

The big cue button at the bottom next to the play/pause button will set the track back to the beginning if a song is playing. If you have the song stopped, it will set a temporary cue.
DJ 2ni 6:04 AM - 11 September, 2008
it should be better if the big Cue bottom could be the CUE1 because its the Cue1 wich is memorised..
And when I call the song, I want to start from cue1 and to go on cue1 when I push the Big Cue bottom (like a CDJ for exemple)
I hope you anderstand my suggestion ..!
thanks
nik39 8:05 AM - 15 September, 2008
I don't like the platter quality esp. the tension adjustment. It feels cheap. The question whether they are toyish can only be answered after some months of heavy usage.
Dj Ace 5:06 AM - 16 September, 2008
good point nik39 time will tell...but you must admit the unit feels really sturdy. I do have one complaint though it doesn't run well at all on machines close do the minumum spec...i tried using it with my power book g4 1.67 and it performed really glithy unlike with scratch live.
Dj Ace 5:07 AM - 16 September, 2008
i mean compared to the performance of ssl...its late i better get some rest...
nik39 8:19 AM - 16 September, 2008
Yep, it feels sturdy.. heavy as f*** :)

Yep, it needs a lot more ressources than SSL :(
Soulsonica™ 9:44 PM - 30 September, 2008
Thanks for the responses guys.

I haven't handled one yet, but the more reports I read about this unit, it is becoming increasingly clear that it really isn't professional solution. I believe we are just seeing low/mid-level manufacturers test the waters right now with this new breed and we'll soon be seeing a big wave of genuine pro stuff real soon from the heavy hitters. It is definitely the future for those who want a traditional DJing type look/feel/control (sans TTs/CDs) vs. 100% computer-based stuff like Ableton Live, etc. Glad to see this type of hardware is finally maturing. It's starting to get real interesting. I'm going to sit back, let the dust settle, and wait for one of the prime manufacturers (ie: Rane, A&H, etc.) to produce a correct/pro/industrial-grade control surface.. It's bound to happen.

BTW, I still can't believe Vestax released this unit without a booth monitor output and separate level control. So much for an "all-in-one" replacement to a traditional mixer/decks. Does anyone else find this bizarre? I guess since the VCI-300 really isn't a professional/industrial grade product, maybe they decided it wasn't needed for home/hobbyist use.

antonborisov 9:56 AM - 1 October, 2008
It's just a gear. It will not make you more or less professional in any way. It is hard to say what kind of gear is intended to use by professionals in our days because we don't have an industry standard like vinyl or CDs. You just need to bring your own unit to a club, plug it somewhere and start rocking. For me this is not a "professional" route in any way because a lot of potential flaws in this case. Device could crush, there will no extra inputs on a club mixer and so on. So i think there will no any universal solution that will suit everyone's needs. It's just a matter of choice what gear to use and let us not judge people by hardware they use. Just my 2 cents.
antonborisov 10:06 AM - 1 October, 2008
I personally feel that DJ scene is dying in a common sense. For years DJ's were able to play one after one, jam with each over and so. You was able to perform in a three of four clubs a night and all with just a bag of records. What is now? You should bring a whole set of studio equipment with you - soundcards, controllers, effectors, wires... And then route it, do sound check like engineers do if Madonna will be performing. Then is everything is up and ready you just drop a tune, mix it with another, throw some fxs and samples and all. Like in 1998 with a couple of decks and one CD. So what this all gear competition is about?
Soulsonica™ 2:45 PM - 1 October, 2008
Yes, I know the caliber of one's gear does dictate a user's level of professionalism - what I mean by "professional/industrial" grade is in how the product is designed, the quality of materials/components used, the feature set, construction, etc. I think most people understand the difference between real deal professional products vs. those that are target more at consumer level, home/hobbyist use. There isn't any judging people by their choices going on. I could care less what someone else uses. However, most professional want/need professional gear.

Like I said earlier, I haven't handled one yet, but here's a few things I do know about the VCI-300 that tell me it's more of a consumer-grade product rather than a professional one (toy vs. tool):

• No booth monitor outputs/level control
• No balanced XLR master outputs
• No master output level indicators
• No signal routing loop
• No separate A/B signal output connections (for slaving to outboard mixer scenarios)
• Inaccurate A/B signal input level indicators (reported)
• Glossy plastic control surface

Soulsonica™ 1:45 PM - 2 October, 2008
I don't know how to edit posts here (can you?) Anyway, what I meant to say in first sentence was "the caliber of one's gear doesn't necessarily dictate a user's level of professionalism". It typically is an indicator, but not always. Sorry for the error - just wanted to clarify.
Jacob dutton 10:31 PM - 2 October, 2008
Hi Guys,

So I got a replacement VCI, took it to the club im playing at tomorrow night to sound check everything and plugged it into an external mixer because that's where the speaker rig is connected to.

I connected it using the phono leads into the input in the allen and heath mixer that the club use, the sound though had far too much bass and distortion and just didnt sound right. Am I using the wrong leads or something? How can I fix this?

Jacob
nik39 10:39 PM - 2 October, 2008
Quote:
I connected it using the phono leads into the input in the allen and heath mixer that the club use, the sound though had far too much bass and distortion

Are you saying you connected your VCI output to the Phono Input on your A&H mixer?
Jacob dutton 11:02 PM - 2 October, 2008
Yes
nik39 11:09 PM - 2 October, 2008
Okay, this one disqualifies you as a DJ who gets "thousands" for his gigs, and being a DJ at a professional level.

DJ Basics 101, lesson 1:

Connect Line level output to Line level input.
Connect Phone level output to Phone level input.

Do not mix. (Just to avoid any confusion: I am not talking about automix, I am talking about mixing line and phono level).
Jacob dutton 11:13 PM - 2 October, 2008
what output are the masters from the back of the vci then? and I get thousands cos I'm a kick ass promoter ;) never said I was a 'pro'

x
nik39 11:23 PM - 2 October, 2008
Do you know the difference between Phono and Line level? If not I would advise you to read up. Asking here for these basic terms is fine, but you will not be credited as a DJ.
Jacob dutton 11:26 PM - 2 October, 2008
I dont want credit, all i wanna know is how to get sound of of www.allen-heath.com this mixer from the vci.
nik39 11:28 PM - 2 October, 2008
Unbelievable.

So there is a Phono in... and a Line in. If Phono in is the wrong one... which one could be the right one?

Wow.
Jacob dutton 11:31 PM - 2 October, 2008
I tried it in the line in and there is no sound coming out from the mixer, its silent.
DeezNotes 4:12 AM - 3 October, 2008
So if I were to go over to the Allen & Heath forum, would I see a gang of posts from you talking about how "crap" their equipment is because it doesn't work?

My advice... get a DJ to help you hook it up. It's not that hard. Either that or read the manual to everything you're using.
bartaug 6:21 AM - 3 October, 2008
You could also play a premixed CD from a CDJ and fiddle a bit with the VCI buttons. Saves the hassle of connection the wires, and it can't crash!
Soulsonica™ 1:48 PM - 3 October, 2008
Good grief, At 5:31 PM 2 October 2008 this thread went haywire. lol. Jacob, why did you not start your own thread?