DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

When does a track go from bootleg/remix status to original composition?

Daktyl 11:34 PM - 24 March, 2013
For instance, Avicii didn't release a track called Etta James-Something's Got a Hold On Me (Avicii Remix), not even Avicii ft. Etta James-Levels... He released a song called Avicii-Levels.

So when does a sample based release go from being a remix or bootleg to being an original composition? Sometimes it would be obvious, such as in the case of 'Smack My Bitch Up'. Even though it's completely sample based, it would be really hard to argue that it's not a completely new original work. The song uses a shit ton of samples from a variety of sources, most of them small snippets of sound...and the samples are flipped in extremely creative ways to the point where most of them are almost unidentifiable.

Conversely, in the case of Levels, you could argue that it's a bootleg of a forgotten (by today's club kids at least) song that was presented as an original work. Another example would be Roger Sanchez-2gether.
Where does sampling a vocal and putting it to an original instrumental that may or may not have elements of the original song stop being a bootleg/remix and fall into the realm of a completely new song? Does time since release have something to do with it? You don't see people sampling/reworking a current hit and releasing it as their own song (unless it's pitbull or flo rida...)

Also, when using samples as an unknown producer trying to get their name out there, especially vocals from older artists (Etta James, Aretha Franklin, etc.) would it be better as far as potential for exposure and promotion to call it a bootleg or present it as an original song?

For instance, say you sampled A Lena Horne vocal... Would it be better to release it as Lena Horne-Stormy Weather (ClitLicker Bootleg), ClitLicker ft. Lena Horne-No Sun, or just ClitLicker-No Sun? Obviously with a more recent artist like alicia keys or christina aguilara it would be better as an unknown to use the name recognition from the artist to get your own name out there...

i realize that this question is mostly one of semantics, but i was thinking about this and wanted to put the question out there and get some opinions on it.
DJ Reflex 3:12 AM - 25 March, 2013
www.everythingisaremix.info

This pretty much sums it up. All four parts are good if you haven't seen them. Also check out the one below. Long, but informative.

Watchwww.youtube.com
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:47 PM - 29 March, 2013
Quote:
www.everythingisaremix.info

This pretty much sums it up. All four parts are good if you haven't seen them. Also check out the one below. Long, but informative.

Watchwww.youtube.com

I love how the next link was for qn illumaniti doc lol