Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Upgraded to 1.1.2 now got drop outs and random things/ Screen size

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Pioneer DJ DDJ-SX
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
Gilbz 7:58 PM - 24 March, 2013
Latest DDJ SX firmware just to add before starting.

Everything fine on my SX & Serato but after upgrading firmware and software to the latest I have had the occasional drop out but also last night when I went to pitch bend on deck 2, deck one slowed down suddenly but then continued as normal.

It was like the pitch bend was sent to the wrong deck?

Also when using panel select to show the FX I get a warning to say something along the lines of the display won't fit on the screen so the decks are shrunk.
When I press panel view so I don't see the effects or samplers etc I can't get my decks back to full size.

Any ideas?

I'll try and get some sample shots of this at some point but any advice welcome.

Just to add everything has been working 100% before both upgrades since November 12.
12:00 AM, 22 Apr 2013
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.
Gilbz 2:05 AM - 5 May, 2013
Hi Aaron
Sorry for not getting back.

I did reinstall the firmware and same thing happened. I went back to the old software before 1.1.2

I just upgraded to 1.2 and 2 nights in a row I have had an audio drop out.
I changed the buffer to 5ms as I was on 2ms and i still get a drop out.

It happened once when I was tapping the hot cue button.
And again when I wasn't even touching the SX

The second issue has been sorted thank you!

But I need to get to the bottom of this drop out!
Gilbz 9:19 AM - 14 May, 2013
Ok so buffer all the way down to it's lowest setting.
Still have the odd dropout and it happens a few hours into a set so totally random, even happened without touching the controller.
Nothing has changed on the laptop, the whole laptop has been optimised to the guide on the Serato site plus other recommended settings by Audio guys across the world.
The Laptop has never once had an audio dropout before 1.1.2

Just to go over things~
Everything worked 100% before upgarding to 1.1.2

Reinstalling 1.1.1 and I'm back to perfection but without the .2 upgrades like Autoplay and the later version which offers the 3 FX per channel :-(

DDJ SX Firmware is 1.0.5 which has been reinstalled twice, just in case.
I will upgrade this to 1.0.7 which has just been released.

USB connections~ Just the DDJ SX
HDD~ standard HDD with the operating system, CD Rom drive changed to a caddy which holds the music HDD which is a 750gb with only 200gb being used. This has worked flawlessly for over a year with VDJ and SDJ.
Defragmented frequently.

Laptop specs are as follows~
Fujitsu Siemans Pi 3560
Processor
Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.2 GHz (Intel Core 2 Duo)
:: Mainboard
Intel PM45
:: Memory
4096 MB, DDR2
:: Graphics adapter
NVIDIA GeForce GT 240M - 1024 MB, Core: 550 MHz, Memory: 790 MHz, 8.16.11.8691
:: Display
15.6 inch 16:9, 1366x768 pixel, LG Display LGD01E8; LED backlight, glossy: yes
:: Harddisk
Fujitsu MHZ2320BH G2, 320 GB 5400 rpm
:: Soundcard
Realtek ALC272 @ Intel82801IB ICH9-High Definition Audio Controller
:: Connections
1 Express Card 54mm, 2 USB 2.0, 1 VGA, 1 HDMI, 1 Kensington Lock, 1 eSata, Audio Connections: Kopfhörer (SPDIF out), Mikrofon, Line-in, Card Reader: 5-in-1,
:: Networking
Realtek RTL8168D/8111D Family PCI-E GBE NIC (10/100/1000MBit), Ralink RT2790 (bgn), 2.1 + EDR Bluetooth
vboyd666 5:49 PM - 14 May, 2013
Gilbz: You may want to consider a RAM upgrade if you have a large library.

You went back to 1.1.2 and now everything is working normally? No audio drop outs?
Gilbz 6:16 PM - 14 May, 2013
No went back to 1.1.1 and all is fine, what have they done to 1.2 to make me need more ram? All was good since November until 1.2
vboyd666 6:52 PM - 14 May, 2013
I'm not too sure what may have changed between versions but maybe the newer version requires more resources from your computer now than before. USB buffer underruns and audio dropouts are usually caused from the software choking on itself due to lack of resources (computer horsepower).

I'm just giving suggestions. Please don't take my suggestion for a ram upgrade as a "for sure" fix :-)
Gilbz 6:53 PM - 14 May, 2013
Appreciate any suggestions mate!
Gilbz 6:36 PM - 15 May, 2013
Hi Aaron

Thanks for the reply.

I have yet to look at the task manager to see if there is anything else running. I'll do that shortly.

The buffer is to the right so it's on 20ms.

I've upgraded to the latest SX firmware and have had a bash and all is ok so far.

Something else that has happened twice now is that all of a sudden I get a high pitch squeel through the speakers. Both times I have been in my office playing and not at a gig luckily.

The first time it happened I pulled the USB lead out of the laptop and it went.

Today I waited for the tune to stop, reloaded another but it was still there. press numerous buttons in case it was an FX stuck on, but nothing would tunr it off.

With no music playing the master output in SDJ was showing 4-5 green bars continuosly lit. So it appears the laptop or something is creating the high pitch squeel.

shutting down SDJ the squeel goes away, restarting SDJ and it stays away.

Any ideas?!! Sorry to add more issues. I have looked on the forums and it's not ground loop issues or HDD noise.
Gilbz 9:33 PM - 15 May, 2013
Hi Aaron

At the time on both occasions I wasn't using any effects, just beat mixing.
when it happened tonight I was just about to quit for the day and the track was coming to it's last 2 minutes. A high pitch squeel was heard so I stopped the track and brought the chanel volume down. You could still hear it. Only reducing the master volume on the SX reduced it

I'm going to replace the usb cable tomorrow
Gilbz 1:13 AM - 18 May, 2013
Back to 1.1.1

Had enough of these drop outs. Had around 4 tonight in a 5 hr set.
Sounds totally unprofessional and puts me on edge.
As soon as I did my set tonight I uninstalled 1.2 and gone back to what I was using when I knew everything was good.

Brand new USB cable, different USB port.
At least I didn't get the loud squeel!

:-(

Going to do a lot more testing this week.......
Gilbz 7:34 PM - 20 May, 2013
Hi Aaron
there was nothing else running in processes.
the only thing running was Serato which cpu usage was 5 to 28%.

Only thing I can do is either ram upgrade or clean install of windows & Serato
Gilbz 8:59 PM - 20 May, 2013
Cheers mate
appreciate your help. I'll keep you updated. :-)
Gilbz 9:01 PM - 20 May, 2013
Oh, and I have a powered hub somewhere so I'll try it!
Gilbz 2:01 PM - 28 May, 2013
Ok update

Clean install, optimised, running 1.2 and still got drop outs.
Task manager nothing is running but SDJ, latency goes to the highest of 673.

Next step is powered hub.
Sadly I can only get this to dropout when I'm gigging! When I'm in the office it's fine!
Bit like when you take your car to a garage and the fault disappears :-(

If the powered hub don't work I will either have to go back to 1.1.1 and lose the great updates or buy a new laptop with a higher spec.

I don't think I will upgrade the RAM, yeah it's cheaper (but still £110.00) but I'd prefer to get something a lot more powerful.

One thing I did consider~ Could it be the platters playing up?
I remember I was playing deck 1 and it dropped out a while ago, Sunday night it was deck 2 dropping out.
It's like someone or something touches the platter for a split second pausing the music.
Still think it's software issues though
Gilbz 6:47 PM - 4 June, 2013
Hi Aaron
Thanks for the recommendations. I'm going to try them all

I wouldn't say it could be down to vibrations, I'm mobile rather than club so the bass isn't massive and if it was then I would have had this issue when I had my big big rig out before the upgrades. As that rig really pounded hard.

On another note/ issue on saturday night I suddenly had one of the decks go into reverse!
I had to hold the censor button down to make it play forward!

Is my SX breaking up?!!
Gilbz 10:13 PM - 4 June, 2013
The only other laptop I have is running windows 8, so not an option :-\
Gilbz 10:19 PM - 4 June, 2013
Cool, I'll ask my 12yr old if hr doesn't mind dad nicking his 'toy'! Haha!

I'm up to trying anything, been using pc/laptops for 8 years with hardly a glitch til now!
Gilbz 12:36 PM - 10 June, 2013
Due to personal circumstance I still to try Windows 8
For the past 2 gigs I went back to 1.1.1 and no drop outs at all, so I'm happy for the time being.

Once my 'circumstances' change I'll have more time to experiment.
Is it possible to keep this open?

Thanks again Aaron for the suggestions
Gilbz 8:57 PM - 10 June, 2013
Cheers mate ;-)
Gilbz 5:07 PM - 25 July, 2013
Weirdly having installed 1.2.1 I've had no drop outs.

But then I'm only doing 2hr gigs at the moment
Serato, Support
Aaron E 10:40 PM - 25 July, 2013
That sounds promising :) Let me know how it goes as you play more.

Cheers
Gilbz 7:31 AM - 26 July, 2013
Yeah, will do, cheers Aaron
djamara 11:43 PM - 26 July, 2013
i also get random usb dropouts. I was thinking of updating the firmware but after reading this, I'll wait until I hear back on an actual resolution to Gibz' issue.